3month old has gas HELP!!!` - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3month old always has left over gas. We try burping him but that dosent work all the time and he cries with it. What can i give him to help him :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 PM

i've always done mylicon w/ the first, but realized that it doesn't do a bit of good. we went to more physical methods. we do the bicycle legs. you put your baby on her back on your thighs while your sitting in a chair and hold her feet and move her legs like she's on a bicycle. also putting her on her tummy over your thighs and bouncing your legs gently helps sometimes. another one is in the same position as bicycle legs, you hold her feet and push her legs w/ knees bent towards her head causing the gas bubble to break up and hopefully work its way down her intestines. when you do this they usually toot a couple times and that relieves some of the pressure.

hopes this helped a little
Old 07-27-2005, 10:07 PM

I had a baby yoga book and some of the gas-relieving positions are the same as the poster above suggested. I also like the Dr. Sears advice of tracing "I love you" with a little pressure on their bellies with your hands and then moving their legs around....I gave the book away to a friend so I don't remember the exact technique.

maybe you are someone you know has the book, it always seemed to work for our 2 gassy babies! his website my have the info too.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins
I had a baby yoga book and some of the gas-relieving positions are the same as the poster above suggested. I also like the Dr. Sears advice of tracing "I love you" with a little pressure on their bellies with your hands and then moving their legs around....I gave the book away to a friend so I don't remember the exact technique.

maybe you are someone you know has the book, it always seemed to work for our 2 gassy babies! his website my have the info too.

i remember the "i love you" technique you're referring to you...its kinda hard to put into words without being able to show you (that's why i didn't originally post it but you put the baby on his back ( i do it usually while sitting on our bed w/ the baby on the bed) and you start w/ the I w/ your hand. i used my four fingers,(just straight top to bottom) then you make an L then a U, but now i can't remember which way it goes...right to left i think...you might chech the dr. sears website, it might be on there sorry i couldn't be more help :
Old 07-28-2005, 12:43 AM

I thought I had the gassiest baby in the land. Women in my bf'ing group said it tends to go away around four months, sure enough it did.
In the meantime, the leg bicycling works. I also found burping him with his belly on my thigh and his legs dangling towards the floor worked well.
The gas drops did nothing.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:46 AM

We do what we call "Elephant" with DD. We hold her so her legs are pulled up to her belly and her bottom is toward the ground and we walk around making big side to side motions. She loves it, helps get the gas out and calms her right down.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 AM

the "I love you" massage stroke was originated by Vimala McClure, she wrote a book called "Infant Massage". You might be able to pick up her book at your local library, or maybe a bookstore. There might also be an infant massage instructor in your area.

And, I think dr. sears' baby book has instructions for the stroke too. i tried to write it out myself (i'm an infant massage instructor) but it's easier to demonstrate in person.

pm me if you want me to try though. :LOL
Old 07-28-2005, 10:40 AM

I did the "I love you" for ds along with leg movement also. It really works. I found baby massage was great for him in general. He won't sit still for it anymore though.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:31 PM

My 4 mo. old has incredible gas again, same situation as EarthMama-I burp and burp him and it just doesn't come out sometimes. He tenses up so I can't do any massage work on him. I now burp him every 1/2 oz and sometimes will bounce him on my knee to help break up the gas-it works sometimes, but not all the time.

I've heard that Gripe Water is good because it has activated charcoal which is supposed to relieve the gas pains. It also has things like chammomilia and other homeopathic ingredients, but can be a little pricey. I'd like to try, but want to know if anyone has used it before with success.

User Tag List