june 05 mamas #2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow that was a long thread!

This is TMI I'm sure but I know what you mean about breasts making you feel bigger!!! I'm wearing a 46I!!!! I even think its to small! I bet i could lose 20lbs if I lost them!!! I have no torso just breasts!!! The other day at the breastfeeding support group this mom was talking about how its so hard to air her breasts out when people visit! I said why don't you just blow dry your nipples? I forgot others can't put their nipple in their own face! :

In other news DS has been consistent with five to seven hour stretches of sleep! How fabulous is that? Lets : that it sticks! Its funny because with just that one good chunk of sleep I feel like a million bucks! Its like baby knows when you just can't do it anymore!

I was wondering if he was spitting up because of the nystatin from the thrush! But he hasn't spit up at all today or yesterday. I keep that spit blanket handy though now that I've seen what he can do!

Well I hope that all of you are feeling fab I just wanted to start a new thread! I have to jump in the shower and get Noley down for a nap so that I can take DD grocery shopping with me! DS is to hard to take with her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Hi gang,

Phew, a new thread! Good thinking.

Sore nipples are getting better here, thank goodness. I can't put my finger on what is working, although the latch is definitely better -- I am still taking mass amounts of acidopholus too just in case. He hasn't pooped in days, still ... I am beginning to chalk this up to "just the way he is." Not a pooping machine like his brother was

So, any crib sleepers here who wish to "out" themselves? We co-slept with ds #1 by necessity (he wouldn't sleep anywhere else) and sold his crib after a year or so, but I found myself dreaming of a baby who would sleep in a crib during this pregnancy. The jury is still out -- Dan will sleep in his bassinet for a spell during the day, but it seems like he wakes up pretty quick in it at night. Like all of us, I am so longing for sleep come night-time that I am loathe to do anything that will make him sleep less, even if it's better for the long run (debatable, of course). Anyway, my plan has been that if he will sleep in his bassinet at night that we'd buy a crib when he outgrows it. So, if there ARE any crib-sleepers here, how do you do it?
#3 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 01:47 PM

Hi everyone I didn't post at all on the last thread - I'm still reading it! But, it's so nice to read about everyone going through the same things as us.

DD is also sleeping at least 5 stretches every night but it is so hard to get her down to sleep at night. During the day she sleeps in a pouch and at night in bed w/ me. We have a crib set up but it's full of stuff needing to be put away. Ds only slept in the crib a handful a times. The cosleeper next to our bed is full of junk too I would like her to sleep in it eventually. But by the time she finally falls asleep at night I don't want to fuss w/ it.

Baby's cying - time to start walking around!
#4 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 02:30 PM

i dont have any crib advice, but i am managing having Louis in a craddle for a few hours, he goes down there, but then at first time he wakes, i bring him in the bed.

davina: good thinking on the prefolds, so true.

angel: if he doesnt 'suffer' from not pooping, then way to go on havong to change less poppy dipes!

#5 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 02:41 PM

Another bad nights sleep last night. We are going to attend a friends' ds's 3rd birthday today and my eyes are so bleary from sleep deprivation.

She was such a good sleeper and then the last week it's really taken a turn for the worse. It's like she'll wake up, I nurse her (and change diaper if needed), then I burp her and she's completely awake. Eyes wide open. If I lay her down next to me she'll fidget for a few minutes before starting little cries so then I pick her up and start routine over again. This went on for 5 hours the night before and 3 hours last night.

I really think she is sleeping too much during the day.

I have a TMI quesiton. I've pretty much stopped bleeding but I've noticed a not-so-nice odor in my discharge. Gross, but it sort of smells like bad b.o. Also, at times it sort of feels like I have a tampon in but it's not in all the way or far enough up - do you know that feeling? I also still have some soreness on my perineum - I did have a 1st degree tear that req'd a stitch (or a few I really don't know...). Anyway, I guess I should mention this at my 6 week check up in 2 weeks but was wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be?
#6 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 03:03 PM

Pepper, no clue what that could be. Have you tried to feel and see if anything feels out of place? :LOL That sounds odd. I'm 2 months pp and still feel a bit sore if I sit in a hard chair. I didn't have stitches, though I needed them. So that could be why.
Have you tried more diaper at bedtime w/ a stay dry liner?? thats what i had to start to get her to sleep better.
#7 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 04:25 PM

Melissa--another cribber here :

Titus doesn't seem to know where he is anywhere, or maybe he doesn't care? I've tried sleeping with him in bed, but I have always had horrible insomnia and I just lay there unable to relax, and it just doesn't seem to make any difference to him. Oddly enough he has a harder time sleeping if I'm with him. Maybe he smells me and then wakes up? His best sleeps are by himself! So off to the crib.
He is almost always aready asleep from nursing when I put him down, and usually doesn't wake up on his own for several hours so I end up waking him up throughout the day to make sure he eats enough.
Then from around 3pm to 10pm he is wide awake and hungry, then he sleeps anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.
So I guess he has created his own routine which works pretty good for now.
Hope you find something that works for you guys!

On another note:
He has finally started latching!!!!!
I can't even tell you how exciting this is! I had been reaching the end of my rope trying to teach him, he would get so angry and sweaty and mad, screaming his head off, and I would be crying thinking: why in the world did I get a baby who doesn't know how to eat?!?
Like you think you don't want to do the whole CIO thing and then it comes up everyday over something simple and important like eating! He would just get so hysterical....so sad.
But yesterday he suddenly latched on during our little practice session, and wouldn't you know we had two whole nursing sessions without the shield! And one today! He's learning! I guess I stuck with it long enough: maybe his one month birthday was his goal!

gotta go
grace
#8 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 05:48 PM

We have the reverse problem of everyone else - daytime sleep problems. DS sleeps pretty well at night, we bring him to bed with us at 10pm and he sleeps until 3-4am, eats once and then sleeps until 6-7am. Works for me!

However, during the day he is very cranky and wants to sleep, but fights it - he requires an enormous amount of effort to get to sleep and then he wakes up shortly after. This is not easy with a toddler running around waking him up. I'm thinking I might have to have him nap upstiars in my room rather than down with us, but of course that makes it harder to get him to sleep since I can't exactly leave my toddler running around and lock myself in my room! Arg.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#9 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 08:14 PM

Grace -yay!!

Mightmoo- Elaina is hard to get to nap during days soon. I pretty much have to wear her to get her to sleep. Sometimes she'll asleep elsewhere tho. It's just easier to keep her in the mei tai than risk her waking...
#10 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

flames are coming i am sure! :

DS sleeps best in his bassinet. I don't even have a crib mattress yet. But I will!
have to get him off to bed
#11 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 11:19 PM

nak - we are still cosleeping but i plan to move her to a crib eventually - ds slept in a crib, i think he started sleeping there at about 6 weeks. He liked it, we didn't have to do anything really to get him to accept it. when he woke up in the middle of the night to eat, we'd bring him to our bed to finish the night, then when he stopped doing that he just spent the whole night there.

am i the only one whose baby wakes up every 2 hours to nurse?? i am insanely jealous of those of you who are getting decent sleep, i am a walking zombie over here.
#12 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 11:23 PM

No flames, we're all just doing what's best for our individual babes.

Joey sleeps pretty well during the night once I get her down. The past two nights it's been rough getting her to fall asleep. She's been sleeping for about an hour or so now, I'm hoping she doens't wake up right before I decide to go to sleep. :LOL

I'm totally beat tonight, because my parents came out to help us with some yard work (we have half an acre that's been horribly neglected since a bit before joey was born. My veggie garden was looking like a patch of fenced in weeds :LOL). So, because mom and dad were here, I totally pushed myself. My entire veggie patch is weeded; the yard is mowed, I even got some flowers planted out front. But I am now BEAT BEAT BEAT.

I'm hopeful for a good night's sleep though, because Joey was outside with us for most of the day. the fresh air normally knocks her out really well.

Hey, anyone else have a Wegman's supermarket nearby? I've recently started shopping at the one near me. I totally love it, and am munching on some fresh baked "Marathon Energy" bread as we speak; er...type. They carry tons of organics, and natural products, and they have such perks as a checkout aisle that has NO candy in it and a DAYCARE for frazzled moms who need to shop alone. It might not be very AP, but let me tell you, if I need it, I'll use it :LOL We'll see how good Joey is about shopping in a few years.

Okay, I think I've rambled enough.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#13 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 11:26 PM

Oh, Pepper, I meant to post to you. I felt the same way for a while. I think the tampon-y feeling is related to the stitches. It went away within a week or so, I think. My discharge also got fairly icky before it cleared up and SMELLY. Cripes. I had to start putting each of my pads in some plastic wrap before throwing them out, or my dog would pull htem out of the trash. We are, of course, talking about the same dog who rolls around in the rotten peaches under my tree and enjoys sniffing other dog's poop. :LOL

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#14 of 287 Old 07-30-2005, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo
We have the reverse problem of everyone else - daytime sleep problems. DS sleeps pretty well at night, we bring him to bed with us at 10pm and he sleeps until 3-4am, eats once and then sleeps until 6-7am. Works for me!

However, during the day he is very cranky and wants to sleep, but fights it - he requires an enormous amount of effort to get to sleep and then he wakes up shortly after. This is not easy with a toddler running around waking him up. I'm thinking I might have to have him nap upstiars in my room rather than down with us, but of course that makes it harder to get him to sleep since I can't exactly leave my toddler running around and lock myself in my room! Arg.
We are having a similar situation. He hates napping in the day but sleeps great at night.
#15 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 12:01 AM

No flames angel04345. I really love that about this group. I don't think in the whole time we've been posting together (from due date club to here) I have ever seen flames. We all seem to realize that everyone has to do what works for them and their babies.
#16 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
We have days like this. Ugh... they suck!!! Today was one, actually. She took a few cat naps, 10-30 minutes about 2 or 3 times. Finally after much crying and stress she went to sleep around 730. As long as I am there to nurse her she is good about staying asleep all night... speaking of, better run. She beckons...
#17 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 10:08 AM

Sleep situ: well after three years of co-sleeping DD is in her own bed ALL night....and she seems to like it. YAHHHH!!! so that helps me and louis get better sleep, but im thinking he too would sleep bettr on his own, he smells me all night and just wants to snack....and he naps on his own so well, much better then DD ever did.

pepper: im also having some nasty smells....helps make you feel post partum sexy huh hope you get some sleep soon!

sharon-ann_ that dog of your is too funny bt the way.

well today i left louis for the first time! me and mathilda went to ikea for 1.5 hours, i didnt think i would react to the seperation, but it was hard!! (for me not him!) it was fun to just be me and mathilda again for a bit, but it was nice to come home!

hope everyones weekend was nice!
#18 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Ely is wearing his nite owl onesie this morning. It seemed appropriate given he ate at least every two hours during the night, then grunted and wiggled his sleepy body the rest of the time. I got no good sleep.

Pepper - I had a weird smell too and the tampon feeling. I still have the tampon feeling too. I need to do more kegels but have no idea if I do them correctly. I've read about a million different descriptions of them and still have no clue if I'm doing them right.

Grace - Yay for you!

After last night, I'm a little tempted to put Ely to sleep in his crib and get a monitor, only if I can make DH get up to get him during the night. He spends part of the night in his co-sleeper and part in bed with me, though this morning there is a huge pee wet spot. When you swaddle a baby, how do you keep the cloth diaper from wicking through to the swaddle wrap?
#19 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzypeach

Mightmoo- Elaina is hard to get to nap during days soon. I pretty much have to wear her to get her to sleep. Sometimes she'll asleep elsewhere tho. It's just easier to keep her in the mei tai than risk her waking...

I do this too - Hayley sleeps in a pouch during the day. I try to put her down sometimes but she wakes up w/in 10 minutes or so. It's so much easier to just pack her. It gives ds and I a chance to play

Last night Hayley slept from 9:30 until 6:30 - WOW!! Jack NEVER slept through the night. This is great
#20 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

jerawo use a sposie at night! :LOL Seriously I couldn't find one cloth dipe that didn't leak with DD I haven't started night time cloth diapering with DS yet. But so far his wonderoos don't wick anyway! Could you put a waterproof cover under him? You know they sell those waterproof crib matress covers maybe he could use one of those under him?

Pepper I was thinking that I felt that way some days and then fine on others. But it just went away.

famousmockngbrd Your baby is a little younger Nolan JUST started doing this wonderfull sleeping thing last week! hes only a week older!

Anyone know of a sling that would allow ds to face outward? This is what he seems to like. as I've said my breasts are to large for a snugli. Although I'm going to verify this!! How embarrassing! I'll be in the store not able to get the thing on!!!

Well got to get Noley dressed were going to see fil.
#21 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 01:57 PM

RE: Weird smells...ladies keep an eye on that, especially any of you who had hospital births. I started having bad smells and it got progressively worse. It also looked funny on the pad, not like blood at all.

Mw told me to take Echinacea, and some Cohosh(black or blue) and/or Shepherds purse to make my uterus clamp down. I did, and I passed a few clots and some old nasty placenta that got left behind somehow. Once all that garbage got out of there, that smell cleared up. I kept on using the herbs for a few days just to be sure.........

If you can't get the smell to go away, or start having pain with it, call the mwife or dr .
#22 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 01:59 PM

re: baby facing outward ~ A sling or pouch should work for the kangaroo carry if you get him in there securely.

re: night diapering ~ I use a premium indian prefold, a suedecloth liner and a knit soaker with leg cuffs. No wicking. Then, Gwen isn't a heavy night wetter and this is usually only for 6-8 hours. PUL has never worked for us overnight with any kid.
#23 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 02:01 PM

Suedecloth, like as in real suede? Wht does that do, make them feel dry? I have some flannel/fleece liners that do that........
#24 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 04:05 PM

oht

Pepper: just wanted to tell you I had the tampon feeling, called mw about it and she said it could be the ligaments not holding the uterus up enough...? she had me lie with my butt in the air and my arms straiggt at my side for 5 minutes a few times a day, especially before bedtime and to just go from that position to lying down. and kegels.

I think af returned. I am so bummed. It was gone for almost 2 years with dd1. I have to go to my 8 week appt with mw and I will make sure that is whats going on, but I am pretty sure

gotta go to a play date. went to the la zoo yesterday, hot and exhausting but abby just sleeps in her sling everywhere i go.
#25 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 05:25 PM

suedecloth is polyester that feels suede-esque. same idea as microfleece, but IMO works better and not so sweaty
#26 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 05:51 PM

I mentioned in the last thread we are trying our hand at EC (but we're still using cloth diapers too, this house not being ours, don't want to get the carpets icky! or our furniture for that matter) and had a successful poo catch the first time I sat her one the potty... and we've tried it a few more times with no luck, then this afternoon she pooped AND peed it was awesome.

She is having a super feeding/sleeping day today...

Lately she has been smiling and talked to her daddy more, which is great as he feels a little sad about her obvious preference for me. She's definitely telling the difference between me and strangers (and him and mil, who aren't really strangers). But the other night he had her laying on his chest and was talking to her and she was talking back, then he would lean her against his legs and then stand her over his face and she loved that! She also smiled at him when he went gobblegobble like a turkey :LOL .

So all is well at the moment. Being feeling much less tired lately. I mentioned somewhere that we've been sleeping from about midnight to 10am, with a few nursing sessions between, it's awesome. She also stopped doing the super-loud -groany-thrashy thing in the mornings... but then she did it again this morning *sigh* It amazes me that she can be so loud and still be asleep!!
#27 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 07:46 PM

Wow... I thought Istra was doing so well giving me 4-5 hours straight and then I read about all you mamas getting 6-8. Geez!

Pepper, I get that weird tampony feeling sometimes when I've done too much walking. I guess I really need to do the kegels. I thought that it would be good if I restarted doing the prenatal yoga video that I did while pg. Maybe that is an idea?

Peach - we are sort of kind of attempting EC here too... though I'm far from consistent and I've only caught 2 pees and they were pretty much accidental. But if Istra gives me any clear signs that she's up to something I try and hold her over the sink. So far it hasn't really worked. I was so idealistic while pg, I had all these ideas of how I would do things and now that she is here I sort of feel like it's already such hard work and EC would just be making things harder. But I still really want to do it because I know that in the long run it will be easier for us. I'm sort of waiting until she can support her body a little bit more so she's not flopping over when I hold her to pee, I guess. Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. Congrats on catching the poo, though. That's cool.

Well, DH, DD and I just spent the weekend at the cottage and it was so nice. We have one of those outdoor cushiony swings and I spent most of the weekend swinging on it and reading with DD. My MIL got us this old English pram for at the cottage too and DD slept in it right at the waters edge--the sound of the waves really seemed to sooth her (don't worry, the brakes were on... though we took lots of pictures of the pram right at the edge of the water to freak people out). DD slept best when she was outside--either in nthe pram, on the swing, or in a carrier. DD's obvious enjoyment of the outdoors has pretty much strengthened my resolve to get out of the city and find a country place. Though I know that's not going to happen any time soon.

That's all for now.
#28 of 287 Old 07-31-2005, 10:38 PM

Hello ladies! I just wanted to do a quick introduction. I'm Leah and my DD Lily was born on June 28th. She was 8 pounds now she is almost 12 i cant belive how big she is getting We co-sleep and occasionally cd. havn't found a cover that works for us yet so We use sposies when i get sick of everything being wet all the time.
DD sleeps wonderfully at night but during the day she wants to do nothing but be rocked in the glider and she will scream if i stop. so i get nothing done i don't know how you mamas with other kids do it i can't even manage to feed myself half the time.
DD is awake so that is all for now
#29 of 287 Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 AM

welcome Leah!

Ladies, thanks to those of you who shared that you also had that tampon-y feeling. I thought for sure I would be the only one who had it. I've been trying to kegel more so hopefully that will help. Raina, I'll try that position that you mw suggested.

Bama, I've been worrying about retained placenta causing the smell. I'm hoping that once I stop bleeding for real it will go away. I'll have a day that I take it easy and I don't bleed and then I"m really active the next day and bleed a lot. I bled for 6 weeks with dc1 and 4 weeks with dc2 so I figure it should stop soon (dd2 is 4 weeks old now).

Gawd, I had the day from hell yesterday. Went to a birthday party *by myself* with all 3 kids at a park. ~~ disaster! ~~ Clare pooped through all her clothes and on her carseat and I had no wipes (had to use tissue with water poured on it). It was 90 degrees in the shade. She would not sleep at all and I had to hold her the whole time (screamed when I put her in the sling) so we were both dripping sweat. dd1 got stuck on the very top of the play structure and I had to climb up there to get her down with Clare on the breast! Oh, it goes on and on...

Needless to say I'm terrified of leaving the house with all 3 again anytime soon

Melissa, I've been meaning to ask you how your back is doing? For some reason my sciatica is still bothering me if I lean over for any length of time. Boy, it sure is taking me some time to get back to normal again. Geez!

Clare slept well last night (of course, the poor baby hardly napped at all during the day at the birthday party) so I'm feeling human again. *fingers crossed* for another good night tonight. I'm feeling optimistic because she's been up since 5p and it's 8:30p now and wide awake so there is hope.

Good night mamas ~ baby-sleep-all-night vibes to us all
#30 of 287 Old 08-01-2005, 06:08 AM

nak

ok, so here is what babycenter newsletter says is a reason to suppliment with formula for 'nutriental reasons'
Less than one yellow bowel movement a day once your baby is 5 days old. of course on the side bar are lotrs of lovely cute emfil commercials.....
i get so sad to think how many mom freak out when they read that.....

sposies at night.... : i confess to that as well....im thinking as he gets in a sleep routine, then i can switch, biut i just can face another waking factor, plus im trying to keep dh positive about cloth

last night we had it hard, he fussed anf tugged at my nipples from 3. am onwards...i think its a growth spurt as my breast are really empty.

and welcome leah..join in!

pepper..leaving with three!! dunno if i would ever attempt that

exstasis...oh a miniture holiday fantastic. i also sleep good to the sound of waves!

ok thats as much one handed typing i can manage!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page