Does my 7 week old sleep too much?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-30-2005, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 20 month old son who came into the world wide awake--and did not sleep for more than a few hours at a time until he was a year old. He nursed constantly. Now my 7 week old dd sleeps constantly. At first it didn't worry me because she was so young, but she does not seem to be growing out of it. She sleeps day and night. I wake her for most of her feedings and she nods back to sleep before she finishes one breast. She never stays awake to nurse on both sides. She has one awake period usually from about 8:30 pm to about 11:30 pm, but other than that she sleeps. Should I be worried??
#2 of 5 Old 07-30-2005, 09:41 PM

7 weeks is still really young. I remember being amazed at how alert my dd was when she got to be around 4 months or so. If you're really worried, you can go in for a 2 month well-baby visit and ask your doc. In general, I think it's really normal for babes to mostly be sleeping until they're 3 months or so.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#3 of 5 Old 07-31-2005, 03:07 AM

As long as she wakes to eat (even if she needs a little coaxing) I wouldn't worry. My DD went through stages of being awake all the time, then suddenly one week she slept nearly 24/7. Babies don't necessarily need to feed from both breasts in a sitting, I'd venture to say your DD is probably a more efficient nurser than your DS was and that's why you think she isn't finishing.
#4 of 5 Old 07-31-2005, 04:04 AM

Sounds like my little one. I think if she is gaining weight and having the necessary wet diapers, you should be doing ok then . When my parents came to visit, they kept saying...do you even have a baby? LOL..she was quietly sleeping most of the time..not to say she didn't have her nights that she was a terror.

Sherra
#5 of 5 Old 07-31-2005, 02:52 PM

my ds is 11wks and just now got out of that pattern...he was exactly like yours, sleeping all the time, falling asleep on the breast, not even staying away even though i tapped his feet, changed his diaper and tried to keep him awake by talking and other means...but now he only takes a couple naps during the day and wants to play the rest....like pp said if the little one is gaining weight ok, and has plenty of wet/dirty diapers i 'd say your fine

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page