cradle cap- will it go away? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-01-2005, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My four month old still has reddish cradle cap- will it eventually go away on its own or do I need to actively address it? It doesn't seem to bother him- but if it won't EVER go away, I feel like I should do something.

tia!!
#2 of 12 Old 08-01-2005, 12:50 PM

my son's cleared up when I started eating more Omega-3s, I also found a baby oil at a natural foods store that has borage oil in it and that seemed to help- I would brush off all the flakes and then slather his scalp with the oil.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#3 of 12 Old 08-01-2005, 02:52 PM

My 4 month old also has cradle cap. It's getting better, though -- I've started rubbing baby oil (very gently) onto her scalp, waiting a few minutes, then washing it off. This helps quite a bit.

However, I'm fairly sure that if you do nothing whatsoever it WILL go away on it's own (eventually).
#4 of 12 Old 08-01-2005, 02:58 PM

i found using a very soft toothbrush to rub off the flakes to be effective.
#5 of 12 Old 08-01-2005, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

I have been putting grapeseed oil on his head after a bath- I only bathe him once a week or so though. We swim in between.

But I haven't washed it out like that- thanks.
#6 of 12 Old 08-01-2005, 03:16 PM

If leaving it alone is your chosen option, it WILL go away all by itself without any treatment or removal at all. But gently rubbing in some oil, letting it sit, and brushing it out with a soft brush or a comb works great. My DD is 11 months old, and she still has a patch of it behind one ear, but for the most part it's all gone.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 12 Old 08-01-2005, 04:43 PM

i found olive oil on it eah day gets rid of it after a few days.
#8 of 12 Old 08-02-2005, 08:56 PM

It does go away-my son is 4 mo. old and it just cleared up. Between washing and using an organic coconut oil on his scalp, it's great. The coconut oil can also be used as a massage oil for the baby after bath as well as to help mom with any stretch marks!
#9 of 12 Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 PM

I think my dd had it until she turned 2 -- no kidding -- luckily, her hair finally grew in to cover it up. It may still be there!
#10 of 12 Old 08-02-2005, 10:13 PM

My 8 mos old still has quite a bit but not nearly as much as when she was 4 mos or so. I've always used olive oil and a soft brush. She's completely bald so it's more noticeable. I wash her head a couple times a week and I just use a little Aveeno. It doesn't bother me or her so I just let it go although everytime I go to the ped. he tells me to rub on some vaseline. BUT-he is very much with me on the delaying/selective vaxing so I let it go. Gotta choose my battles.
#11 of 12 Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 AM

I've massaged with grapeseed oil, used a soft brush to get the flakes off then shampoo'ed with mustela newborn foaming shampoo. that stuff works GREAT! specially for cradle crap. i still use it on my 2 year old cuz it rinses out so quickly and he absolutely hates getting his hair washed
#12 of 12 Old 10-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421
my son's cleared up when I started eating more Omega-3s, I also found a baby oil at a natural foods store that has borage oil in it and that seemed to help- I would brush off all the flakes and then slather his scalp with the oil.
I have a 3.5 month old. He has less hair then DS did at this age and hid cradle cap is most noticable outside in the daylight/sunlight. It is an orange-ish color.

LoveChild - your response was like a light bulb for me. I take a BF multivitamin that has the Omega's in it. But in the past week I have started adding a minimum of 2 tbl of Flax seed to my daily routine. Flax seed/oil is an awesome source for the Omega's.

Anywho... I have noticed over the past few days, that his cradle cap has slowly started flaking off on it's own. I have been wondering about this and why it was happening (thus my search and finding this thread). He doesn't have any other dry skin issues. Finding your post was certainly an "Ah Ha" moment. The Omega's must be speeding up the cellular process!

Too, I have been using Ojon oil a couple of times a week on his scalp. This is helpful. It is natural and smells yummy (you cand get it at Nordstrom and I believe one or two other places). It is pricey but the tiniest bit goes a long way. I really think it is also helping to decrease my post-pregnancy hair loss. The people at Ojon have said that it can accelerate hair growth - We'll see if it helps my lil' guy in that area too

Melanie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page