The Dangers of Corded Window Treatments! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-01-2005, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most people are not aware of the 8 WAYS that a child can die from corded window treatments!!

Please go to www.pfwbs.org and learn how to keep your child safe!

Learn from these families and please pass this website along to everyone! (Don't forget grandparents!!)

It's so heartbreaking what happened to these children. Let's do everything we can to keep this from happening to another child!!
#2 of 10 Old 11-08-2005, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

For the new parents. It's never too early to get this information.
#3 of 10 Old 11-08-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I saw the "8 ways a child can die", but didn't find any info. on how to cut the cords or wrap them up to make them safer. Do I have to get rid of my bamboo blinds or is there a way to "baby proof" them?
#4 of 10 Old 11-08-2005, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

ANY corded window treatment can kill, they cannot be made "safer".

Yep, you'll need to get rid of those bamboo blinds, please look at the site again and click on "Other Corded Treatments".

There's also a box in the top right corner with a warning about window cord wind-ups!

You can see safer alternatives by clicking "Click here for products we recommend" near the top middle of the Home page.
#5 of 10 Old 11-09-2005, 01:20 AM

Oh boy, we have roman shades throughout the house, lovingly sewn at considerable time and expense by my MIL over the last two years.

I knew I'd have to do something about the pull cords when ds gets mobile, but I hadn't considered all the cords on the backs of the shades.

Anyone have any creative suggestions for making roman shades safe? We never raise the ones in our bedroom, so we're just going to remove all the cords. On the ones we open and close, dh suggested removing the cords and just pulling them to the side (sort of like panel drapes) when we want to let light in. It might not look stylish, but we're looking for safe and functional.

Any other ideas? Of course we'll take them down if we have to, but they were such a gracious gift that we'd prefer to figure out how to make them safe.
#6 of 10 Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 PM

We rent, and have micro venetians. I'm thinking of leaving them at half mast all day - so both blind and cord are out of reach.

I think we'll move before she can get a chair and climb.
#7 of 10 Old 11-10-2005, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe with the roman shades you can cut all the strings off and when you want to open them roll them up nicely and tie a strip of fabric around the top or maybe attach velcro to the ends of a strip of fabric so you don't have to tie it. If you sew, maybe you could get creative with the velcro so that it's hidden inside the shade somehow so if you fold it or roll it a certain way it will stick to itself. I don't know if those ideas would work well or not (I've never had roman shades), but it's just a thought!
#8 of 10 Old 11-10-2005, 11:18 AM

We rent. The people that lived in this apt before us are the landlords, and they have a baby. All of our windows that have blinds also have these brackets, about 5 feet up on the window frame, that you wrap the cord around. It is totally out of reach (we don't have any furniture near the windows with blinds) and I can't possibly see how they would pose a problem...does anyone have any info otherwise?
#9 of 10 Old 01-06-2006, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Time to for the new parents!
#10 of 10 Old 01-07-2006, 01:44 AM

I'd lost track of this thread and never saw the velcro idea...that is definitely one that might work. I'm going to do some playing with that! The other option I've considered is trying to install a pull shade (the solid kind, not blinds) underneath the Roman shade -- I could keep the Roman shade drawn up all the time, with cords all secured out of reach, then use the pull shade for privacy at night. Ds is still not really mobile but it's only a matter of time, so I'm hoping to figure out something soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page