Janulicious August #3 - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 660 Old 08-30-2005, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joyce - we need forks. we have an ikea set that we got yrs ago, so maybe they don't make them anymore. but we never seem to have enough forks. in fact, I'd get forks and knives (butter). I'll go look on line.

Also - the mwf/t th thing seems like a good compromise!!! Then you'd only be part-time crazy LOL. I feel for you mama. I really do. Some days here the nuthouse is just unbelievable. But then, other times, esp. if Beca is at a playdate or whatever, it's relatvely calm. I must say, that when she's back in school, I think it'll be easier. I'm actually looking forward to it, which is sad imo. I do miss my little miss. we had a super cuddle on the couch with daddy, it's nice. Orin has sure changed the dynamics around this place (mostly for the better, but as far as dd goes, it's sometimes for the (not worse...what's the word... detrminet?). At any rate, I do hope something like that could work out. It would be good for the babies to have some consistency in care too, beyond you and dh, that is. Do you write for the NGO? Like as in fundraising type stuff? Yup - in NY it's Harlem, but named for Haarlem. So I thought you'd gone native or something. I wondered though... The Netherlands, btw, is a WONDERFUL place to raise kids. VERY kid friendly (from what I've heard), everyone LOVES kids there (negative pop growth has it's benefits :LOL ) and helps out tons. You'd find nanny's free there in the grandma age range. But expensive to live...

Jess - there's nothing I'm really looking for in the hanna catalog. weird, huh? I guess if they have any size 130 stuff that's not TOO girly (she can't wear dresses or skirts to school, against playground regulations LOL, and she actually has a couple right now), but definately NOT boy-ey (oh the shame!), then let's just make a budget and you can have fun shopping for an older girl I'll pm you.

Thanks Laura! That was quick work! I'll build it in and send you what I've got, hopefully this week.

Jessi - I'm so sorry for your family!!! What a total disaster for them, and so many others. Yeah, it's not the smartest/safest place to live - but then NYC is the first to get targeted in an all out attack by ???, Boston and DC are next. Un huh. The midwest gets cyclones, the west coast gets earthquakes, the south west gets heatwaves, the north gets blizzards, the north east gets blizzards, hurricanes AND heatwaves... so where is it safe??? And it is a funky cool place to live. I think the hard part for people like your family will be getting contractors committed to rebuilding. It's going to be gangbusters getting it rebuilt fast enough to house everyone. At least she'll have lots of help with the baby once it comes Also - will you send me your extra back strap? I'll send it back with your fleece stacinator and the bumbo if you like - I just need to get placement for the snaps, which is hard because mine is diagonal - is yours? Not the straps, the snaps are diagonal. I'm tired...sorry this makes no sense.

tomorrow if Ori is still sick we're going to have to do some exercise videos. I'm seriously slugging here. I did make it out of the house with him after Jerry came home (to cook dinner LOL) to get a thermometer. His fever was 102.7 corrected (I did under the arm). poor guy. He's sleeping well, ate dinner ok, peed lots today...it's just uncomfortable I think. The pharmacist thinks it's teething (right age) and doubted seriously that it would be a UTI, but they didn't have any strips to test. I'm going to forget that for now, unless something else shows up (dark urine, less frequent pees, obvious swelling or redness in the penis, etc.). So far so good there. He actually has a little red spot on his inner ear (not INSIDE, just on the inside part that is on the outside of his head - does anyone understand that???). It isn't infection, just kind of a hot spot looking thing. Hrmmmmm. My brother had a lot of ear infections, so I'm wondering if that's a possibility.

Pam - I don't know how to make a drum. I never have. I think there are courses offered occasionally by people who do know, or you can put the call out and find someone who does and try to get it offered through the local community college or something. But trading for it would DEFINATELY be easier. Also, I think at least for the mama non-santa gift swap, the salve you make would be an excellent gift item think about it... it would be nice to have you in on that.

Ok, I'm off to bed too. I want to finish my book and move on to some my mom passed on to me.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 12:05 AM

Ah - answers to posts I missed.

not objectionable to the yahoo group at all. I like MDC but I'm not attached. I'd still ride around occasionally to tp and stuff, but tbh I mostly do our chats...so not a big deal.

Thanks for pming me Karen. Getting discombobulated on there now...and w/a pm I can go over it more than once to be sure I understood :LOL

Joyce - you were very overprotected. Really. It's not all bad, and obviously you were very cherished, but I gotta say, she's GOT to let go.

Ori's bad night in Mass w/my folks was serious fuel for fodder. I got " you have GOT to get him into a crib" 3 x, "he needs more food" several times, " you limit him too much" god knows how many times, and "wouldn't a bottle help him sleep" from both my parents once. Geesh!!!

Joyce - the set is the Fornuft (w/an oomlat on the o). I think. That's the closest one, anyway. If you go, pick me up a sets of those, $20 each - but if they have just forks, or ones that look like those, that's really what we need, so if you don't mind being flexible, the forks alone if they have them (we could use 8) or just the set if that's what they've got. Also if they have them, the Kladd bibs are good and we'd take one packet of 5. *THANKS*

There was something else, of course, but now it's late and I'm seriously needing some shut-eye. caio mamas!

#543 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 12:27 AM

Karen, it's funny but that idea of a Yahoo group occured to me earlier this week. I, for one, would be happy with a move. I love MDC and would still post, but I find this kind of group and the bonds that we've formed is an entity on to itself. Does this make sense?

I would like to feel things were a bit more private. Not just so that joe schmo doesn't read, but so that it's not easy for acquaintances/family to "happen upon", kwim?

I've had some experiences with starting up yahoo groups and it's really simple.

Anyway, just my 2cents. Obviously I'll still be here if everyone wants to stay, and likely I'll still post on MDC anyway but nice to have a bit of privacy for our discussions, I think

g'night all!
#544 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 12:45 AM

Hi all-

Just got back from the immunologist with Kobe. He had a great month - no flare ups, but he did run a low grade fever quite often. . So....still no answers. They're rechecking his bloodwork, last time he had elevated sedimentation levels, and lymphocytes. So we'll see. I'm glad he's feeling better though

Remember I said Violet is a busy body? Well, at the Dr.'s office she was like totally obsessed with this poor woman's shoe. She kept crawling over to her and messing with it. Everytime Kobe or I would go get her and move her she would either freak out, or quickly run/crawl back over to her. At one point, the woman looked down from the magazine and Violet was very gingerly and tenderly mawing on her sandal!! blech. Luckily, people are very tolerant of babies and all children in general here. She thought it was pretty funny. Violet had this look on her face like, "What?".

Joyce, I too thought you just didn't know how to spell Harlem. If you guys need programmer jobs, there are tons of em here in Hawaii. Its really not hard to get any sort of technical job here.

Um....what else? I would totally love to do the yahoo thing. I've actually thought about that quite a bit, but I keep forgetting to bring it up. So, thanks Karen
#545 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 01:09 AM

hmmm...had to bounce out of bed to post, thinking more about the yahoo thing.

A big disadvantage that comes to mind with the Yahoo group specifically is having to open up every single post to read/reply. I can see how this could become cumbersome and I know that I often like to scan the board when Brynn is nak'ing or snoozing, and it's nice to just to be able to scroll through. I can imagine reading less, just because it would be impractical.

Another possibility would be something like Live Journal. It's also free, but has more of a full-page style to reading and responding that I think I might prefer. I have a LJ account and just to try it out I set up a community.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/janulicious/

we can make it totally private. There are lots of layouts to choose from and anyone can host it. I just started one up to play around a bit.

Anyway, just another option. back to bed with me - - by the way, only wee Brynn in the bed tonight.... Tess has opted for her own bed in her own room... *sniffle, sniffle*!!
#546 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 01:23 AM

ok, i think we should only do a yahoo group if EVERYONE wants to... or maybe somewhere else?
while nursing today I was looking at the feb board (: see, nothing is private here...) and saw that they had a list going somewhere else. they said it was set up like this, but private. yahoo is private if you set it- the only thing I don't like abotu it is that sometimes the emails just don't come thru for a long time and then whammo, you get a ton at once. anyhow. just something to think about......
it's nothing against MDC... just the public nature of things.
#547 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 AM

this place http://16.freebb.com/freebb-features.php hosts forums that can be private that seem like they are like this format. I'm not attached to any place tho. if we did livejournal, like you said Kathy, would it be a similar format as this? I too need to be able to just read w/o too much clicking and stuff.
#548 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 02:23 AM

OKAY! I GIVE UP!

I tried to catch up. Got as far as Pam and the chicken poop, and the discussion about the new thread.

Thanks for all the b-day wishes. She had a ball. She has a new doll, named Christina. (Cabbage patch, and really perfumy at that, but she loves it so that's all that really counts). My dad also made this gorgeous box with latches and locks on it and doors that she can hide treasures behind. I will take pics and post them, I promise.

Gonna go to bed. Please don't post 40 more pages over night. I like to try and keep up!

NIght all, and thanks again for all the good birthday wishes. Someone remind me tomorrow to tell you about the ceremony they did at her montessori. It was really cool.
#549 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 02:55 AM

Wow, pictures from Katrina keep getting uglier and uglier. Does your pregnant relative need any stuff, Jessi? Baby clothes or something? Maternity clothes? I can dig through my stash and send whatever you think she needs . . .
#550 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 02:57 AM

ANDY: "Joyce - the set is the Fornuft (w/an oomlat on the o). I think. That's the closest one, anyway. If you go, pick me up a sets of those, $20 each - but if they have just forks, or ones that look like those, that's really what we need, so if you don't mind being flexible, the forks alone if they have them (we could use 8) or just the set if that's what they've got. Also if they have them, the Kladd bibs are good and we'd take one packet of 5. *THANKS*"

Eight sets of Fornuft if a package of just forks not avail.? (you skipped a word)

Anybody else?
#551 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpurring
Wow, pictures from Katrina keep getting uglier and uglier. Does your pregnant relative need any stuff, Jessi? Baby clothes or something? Maternity clothes? I can dig through my stash and send whatever you think she needs . . .
yk, there is a thread somewhere on MDC (maybe TAO- saw it earlier, too lazy to look again) to help affected MDC members. I know I saw that there was a Feb mom from New Orleans.... there are a lot of poor people there, if you wanna send stuff!
#552 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 08:14 AM

Good morning all!

The problem with crayons is I'm afraid G will get hold of them and eat them or choke on them. How can I prevent this without keeping them away all the time?

Jess, that's about where my knitting is. Last December, I began knitting a scarf for A. I spent 14 hours on it, it was about the size of a pot holder, maybe longer. It had ribbing I hadn't planned, and at least 2 button holes. I don't have enough time right now to knit anything!

Michelle and Andy, I think I should plan out what I'm doing first and then see what I need. I don't want to send stones if I may not end up using them, but thanks for the offer!

Lisa, at least with no wings, it can't fly away!

Sheri, I am always open to wool! I would love one. I'd like to give you something in return, and you too Nicole, for the MT. Do either of you have dry skin or eczema? My cream can help...

G plays with her spit up too, maybe that's its purpose in life - built-in amusement for the babies!

I was under the impression you now had to be a member to even view posts at mdc? I'm not a big fan of yahoo, I try to avoid it at all costs.

We've talked about leaving the country, Norway and Sweden are some of the places we've considered lightly. Maybe that's the place for the commune (Oh, wait, no it's Hawaii, of course!)

You know, maybe I could do the mama swap... But then I feel bad not doing the baby one.
#553 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I like the idea of a private forum but I don't like yahoo and not for the amount we talk. I like this kind of format better, that way I don't have to keep clicking to read the next post and this way is so much easier. There are plenty of freebie boards out there, like this format we could do. Not sure Kathy how the one you listed works?

i'll be back
#554 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

don't parents give such great advice? yeah my mom says food will help them sleep, whatever. I never noticed a difference w/Megan in sleeping if she's feed w/a bottle or nurses before bedtime. She still wakes up either way.
Although she slept a whole 8 1/2 hrs last night!!!! woohoo, probably cuz she was so worn out from not napping but I'll take it.

You are so right Joyce the world needs more of us It's time that we take over the world, muahahaha

Pam could you keep the crayons on the table and A can only color on the table?
Hey I have wicked dry skin the in the winter, but I hate fragrance lotion. Do you make one thats not really fragranced?

Yeah Andy, I was just sitting here last night not wanting to go upstairs, K was going nuts so I was like hmm might as well. By the time I went up K was pretty much sleepy.
Your right that there's really no safe place to live. But honestly I think building anywhere thats below sea level thats anywhere near the coast is not cool. Of course there's lots of areas I think that people shouldn't build in/near but I guess thats the geologist in me. My professor was really big on no no's on coastal developement. Took us on field trips on the coast of Ma where it was pretty obvious what the ocean can do and we aren't even that prone to hurricanes like the gulf.
I feel so bad whats going on down there, I so wish I could help out more. I'll probably donate something. I know the red cross is just asking for money right now. We can't afford much but even a few bucks would help. A lady from my preemie support group lives near that lake. Last we heard from her she wasn't evacuating but hopefully they did end up doing it. I hope she's ok.
#555 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 09:25 AM

Miss E does not like the new wake up time : She's being a cranky pants.

I'd be willing to move but I am also not a fan of yahoo too much clicking. Most of the time I'm nak and the little one is not a fan of the mouse.

I've kinda been living in a cave for the last couple of months. How bad was the damage from the hurricane?

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#556 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malama
Question:
do you ever get a little weirded out by the fact that anyone can read this stuff? I wasn't until recently when I had that question about the other hs mama. is anyone interested in making a private yahoo group for our list? I'm not attached to the idea, but thought i'd feel it out. whadda ya think?
Karen, I can one-up you on the group... I can host a bbs style forum (but without all the cool smiles) that is totally private. I actually have it running already, with a group of 8 cool women I met a few years ago. The forum is locked to members only because of a freaky stalker person who chased down one of them... so I could create a parallel forum for us there too, the 8 women who belong to my other forum wouldn't even be able to read it.

My opinion on the yahoo group is that it becomes email back and forth, and things get lost when topics change, and I much prefer reading down a long list of messages from y'all on a board than trying to read and reply to emails!

anyhow, it's forum.deadfrog.net if you wanna look. There is a recipe forum that is not used very much but is open to the public.

Nicole, do tell about the b'day ceremony

Pam, you sound amazingly upbeat today, care to share some energy with me?

Nothing much else. Lauren had a rough night, but not nearly as bad as 2 weeks ago was.

Gotta run, anyhow, lmk if you all want to use the forum I have running... it would give me a reason to actually learn how to use the software so I could add cool smiles we have plenty of bandwidth and very few problems with the hosting company...

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#557 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Oh That would be perfect Lisa if everyone agrees Yes cool smilies are a must :LOL

Sheri- it's pretty bad down there, devastating in some parts they are calling it the worst natural disaster in the US
#558 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok K really scares me sometimes. She came up to me and spelled bowl and got it right. Where the heck did she learn that? Ah I'm so not ready for this, what happened to my baby. I mean reallly how normal is it for a 2 year old to want to and do spell? She's becoming obsessive over it lately
#559 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 09:43 AM

that's terrible, all those hurricanes that last were really bad, I don't think I wnat to see if its worse than that. I just donated tons of stuff to the salvation army, if I were aware of this I would have tried to find someway to donate it to the victims

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#560 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

it is worse Sheri much worse. The thing is they haven't even been able to get to some of the worst hit areas to see how bad it is or even if anyone survived. The sad thing is so many people didn't evacuate, either by choice or they just couldn't get out of town. Especially New orleans where they are so many poor people.
#561 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 10:02 AM

Pam - The start of the school year is a good time to get crafty supplies. For the crayons, try putting them in a pencil box that is easy for A to open. You might even be able to find a pad of paper that will fit iin the box. I know crayola makes a specific kind of markers that will only work on a specific kind of paper. As for G choking, they are non toxic, so for that it would be okay, and if she doesn't have teeth, she is unlikly to bite it in half. Oh, and I have wicked dry feet. I wear sandals all the time. I going to work on the MTs this weekend. Hopefully the 3 day weekend will be better for that!

Private forum - I like that idea. Just let me know what the details are.
#562 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 10:10 AM

Ems Birthday Ceremony

The school had us come in, they sat all the kids around a circle taped to the floor. In the center was a small table, a globe and a candle. They sat DH and I in chairs with Em on a pillow beside us. One of the other kids gave Em the globe and the teacher told a little story "Once a long time ago Nicole and Russ met and fell in love, and they had so much love they wanted to share it with someone else. So they had a baby, and that baby was Emily." Then they asked us to share a story about when she was born. Then they had her walk around the circle once to represent her first year. Then we told a story about when she was 1 and they did the whole thing again and we told a story about when she was 2, and then she walked around the circle one more time. And then they asked her now that she was 3, what did she want to do. Her answer - Go to nana and papa's and eat pizza. :LOL It was a sweet ceremony.
#563 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 10:37 AM

I LOVE that birthday idea! There's something like it in Circle Round. I think I want to do something like that for A!

So do I not need to worry about G and crayons? I wanted to get stockmar beeswax ones, but I know dh would flip if I told him how much they cost. I'm still miffed about my amazon order... I was all ready to place it, but he says it's too much and I should just get the one book for A, not the CD of international lullabyes for $6.99 or a copy of Playful Learning for $16 (cuz I should get it form the lobrary). Thing is, I have a $15 gift cert. So I can get those two things plus a hardcover of "Wild CHild" for A, all for $29, and shipping is free. If I buy just "Wild Child", shipping will be $6, which eats up a chunk of the gc. arggg thanks for letting me vent. At this point, it's soon going to be too late to order "Playful Learning", and get "WIld Child" in time for her birthday.

Laura, no scents in it, though I'd been planning on adding essential oils to a batch some day. Wow, spelling! A is so not there!

My mom is getting A a couple pads of paper and some washable markers for her bday...

I think I'm upbeat beacuse I managed to deep-breathe through it every time A did something yesterday that set me on fire or anything. Today is a bit more challenging... probably because she'd peed on me a couple times (though this time, it may not have been intentional at least), as well as hurt G many times.
#564 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 10:54 AM

oh my the dogs are fighting over who gets to cuddle up with my bra

#565 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 10:59 AM

Laura I've just looked at some of the pictures from New Orlenes, oh my that is just so terible

#566 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 11:07 AM

Chatty mamas!

I don't like Yahoo very much, but for some things it works. I actually created a yahoo group yesterday for SCA AP parents, because I think that there are a lot of them out there who dont' come to MDC that I'd like to connect with. I have everything yahoo sent to my gmail, which makes it easier to read. I'm thinking for us, Lisa's forum will probably work better. And I'm all in favour of using private sites rather than Yahoo.

Nicknames: everyone knows Honeybea. When she was newborn, we used to call her -birdie a lot, as in 'hungry birdie' 'tired birdie' 'wet birdie' etc. It started with her opening her mouth really wide when she wanted to nurse and looking like a baby bird. Mostly we just call her Little Girl, though. I'm sure other stuff will develop.
#567 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 11:08 AM

Ok, if you guys want to check out the forum, even give it a test whirl, come on over to forum.deadfrog.net and register. Then pm me or post on here with your username, so I can approve you. I'm very controlling that way! Keeps the weirdo people out

#568 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 AM

Ok, Andy, Sheri, Kathy, Laura, Jeni, Jess, and Jessi, you should work just fine now. I hope. I changed all of your settings. You should be able to read recipes and Janulicious, but not Refugees. And the Refugees can't see the Janulicious board.

Jessi, do you want me to delete the witty user? Or do you want that one too? Heck, we can invite all the dads to chat if they want as well.

#569 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 AM

Lisa, I think I registered

#570 of 660 Old 08-31-2005, 11:45 AM

aaack Lisa - it won't let me sign up as anything - keeps saying my username is invalid (I'm just registering, not logging in!). I thought I'd done this once to do something w/deadfrog, but now maybe I hadn't done that, but it also says my email address is already in use. huh?

Good morning otherwise over here. Orin is still feverish. I spoke w/a nurse who also thinks it's teething due to the lack of other symptoms. I'm guessing at LEAST two more months before we see a tooth around here. So likely to be a viral thing. Poor fella. And we HAVE to get out to the shops today - lack of fresh food is becoming problematic. And it's raining out. Am I in New Orleans??? Nope - it's not actually a LAKE out there. Poor folks. Jessi - I too have a large box of baby stuff (and some maternity, but not that much, and if she's built anything like you she'd swim in my regular clothes!). Just let me know if she needs it. Mostly gender neutral or boyish through 6 mos.

Joyce - I don't need eight SETS, just eight forks. With a set it comes with 4 big and 4 small, which would be fine. So either:

1) one set at $20 or
2) if individuals are available (which I don't think they are, but a girl can dream ) 8 individual forks.

and the bibs. You are a DOLL! Thank you so much! For me to go to Ikea I have to drive to New Jersey (ug) and then my mother will either come, or be mad at me for not inviting her. either way sucks. so THANK YOU!!!!!

Jess - I thought of what I DID want from HA - I want the zipper one piece johns for Orin. I think ...let me check the size... 70cm.

First choice : snowey people
Second choice : orange striped (it's mixed color)
third blue stripe
fourth snowflakes
fifth dots

Or something similar from whatever line they offer right now. I don't think it's a big dealif they're cars or animals, but no sports themes for now, please. And maybe not too girley...confuses the husband LOL.

Ok, time to go peel rebecca off the vidiot box and get ourselves dressed. We need to get to the library and shop today, or I might just explode...kwim?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page