August '05 mammas, our babies are finally here! end of Aug.-Sept. '05 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 245 Old 08-27-2005, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wanting to start this thread forever, but now that it's almost September, I think I finally will. Can't talk much now, but want to say that Treyden is 9lbs!! He's gained a pound in the past week! Way to go mammas milk. He's also finally waking up a bit, which I couldn't wait for.

More soon...

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#2 of 245 Old 08-27-2005, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We are here too! It is exciting that all the babes are coming.
Emmett is great- nursing well,etc.
DS is ok, a little sad about me having to split time between he and his new bro.
More later.
-Kerri
#3 of 245 Old 08-27-2005, 09:20 PM

One-handed typing anyone?

Kiernen is a champion nurser - was 9# 3 oz at the ped visit on Wed. He has gained over a pound since birth (after losing only 4 oz).

He loves to sleep on mama - I suspect so he can be close to the breast at all times :LOL

We went on our first walk around the neighborhood today. Kier wasn't too interested - he just wanted to go to sleep. We are in mad love with him.
#4 of 245 Old 08-27-2005, 10:34 PM

HI all! Every time I look into my baby's eyes I fall madly in love all over again, such a sweet thing! I never imagined I'd feel this way. I thought the fact he has down syndrome would cloud my feelings but it didn't. I see him as our little baby and though he's different, he's him. I kept saying I wasn't going to let the syndrome define him but I was expecting to have that define him..I think. I stare at him while changing him and look at how "different" he looks (with the slanted almond eyes and different body structure) and instead of different I see gorgeous and adorable and oh man...I'm in love!! He hasn't gained anything so far but I"m hoping at his pediatrician visit on Monday we'll see some growth. He's been warm for the last 4 days so I'm grateful for that, I think he's finally able to regulate some temperature finally. He's also found his voice and finally cries. He's such a docile baby, so quiet, it's good. I don't get a long sleep but I get sleep often which really helps combat the blues.

Gotta love it, Kitty
#5 of 245 Old 08-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Finally found our way here

Henry is nursing great...sleeps pretty well at night. A wonderful little guy all around
#6 of 245 Old 08-27-2005, 11:24 PM

Awww! My little bundle just turned 11 months old yesterday, and I can't believe it's been almost a year. I saw this thread, and I just had to peek in and say Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bringing up all those memories from when my little guy was a tiny newborn. You're all so lucky!

Now try to get some sleep! :LOL
#7 of 245 Old 08-28-2005, 12:03 AM

Sleep...yeah, that's what I need to be doing right now. I'll be back later!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#8 of 245 Old 08-28-2005, 12:58 AM

To me it looks like his feet are pretty long. He's two weeks tomorrow (7lbs 3oz at birth) and his feet are almost 3.5"
Will you measure your baby's foot so I can compare?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#9 of 245 Old 08-28-2005, 02:50 AM

Elias is doing great. Nursing is going good and he sleeping well at night.

At our appt. on the 18th of August Eli wighed 9lbs.12.5 oz.We have our last MW appt. on the 6th.

I feel guilty about the lack of attention given to DD. DS will only sleep while being held which I wouldn't mind (and didn't with DD), but she feels so left out. Anyone have any tips for me?
The good thing is DD starts back to school in 2 weeks. She also will start dance and gymnastics in 3 weeks. That will help keep her busy.
#10 of 245 Old 08-28-2005, 04:48 AM

I can totally relate to missing the big sibling. The care of my dd was pretty much all up to me. I was her source of comfort and the one she spent most of her time with. Now it feels like I barely see her. I miss her so much.

Baby is doing pretty. He spits up a lot. And sometimes with a lot of force. I think its because he eats more than his stomach can hold. Time again in fact...

#11 of 245 Old 08-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Annabelle is 3 weeks and 3 days old! She is so beautiful and so grounded. My experience as a mom is totally different this time and she is so different from dd1. You can tell her daddy is Swiss cuz she runs just like a fine watch - 4 hour shifts almost on the nose. This makes one wake up a night and lots of sleep for mommy! I just can't tell you how sane I feel and how much I love this little bug. Going to see mw this week for a weight check. I'll be taking her for her newborn hearing screening soon too and to the doc at 6 weeks. Back in the saddle with dh too. It's so nice to have reconnected as a couple after only a couple weeks.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#12 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 05:28 AM

Owen is 8 days old now. He was 8 lb 9 oz at birth, but dropped down to 7 lb 10 oz in 3 days--was admitted for jaundice for 1 days, and then I was admitted for POSTPARTUM pre-eclapmsia for 3 days. As a result of all this and a real need to stop his weight loss--we are now bottle feeding with formula!!!!!!!!!!! AAAaaaahhhh!

I am pumping regularly and giving him every drop with a bottle, but we are having huge latch issues at the breast.

The good news is his weight is up to birth weight now--so he's doing really well. I am mortified that I couldn't get the breastfeeding to work. We are going to keep trying though. Going to be very tough to get back to the boob. At least he's getting the good milk though right?? (desperately seeking reassurance).

He's a very mellow guy and is content to sleep, eat and stare in our eyes.

While he is the most beautiful sight ever created on this planet--I have to admit that he bears a strong resemblance to Mr. Magoo!!!

I don't know how to get pictures posted, but I will figure it out in the next couple of days so I can share the adorable Magoo-ness.

Lots of love to you and your sweet babies!!!!!!

--Adrienne
#13 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 AM

I've been MIA lately because I had such a horrible birth, and have had such a difficult time postpartum, that I can't bring myself to write about it. I'm sorry. I know it will all get better eventually, but between the emergency induction, emergency c-section, week of separation when dd was in the intensive care nursery, and then getting her home to find she nurses or needs holding every 40-60 minutes around tee clock, I thought I was at the end of my rope. Then last week, I got mastitis.

I'm feeling pretty low, and pretty disconnected from this new babe, though I know I love her dearly. I just can't seem to do more than care for her physical needs right now. I miss my older dd and the close attention I used to be able to pay to her. I miss my dh, since he sleeps in a separate room with her for the first 3 hours of the night (so I can get one stretch of sleep) and then in another room for the rest of the night so HE can sleep. I miss my brain functioning normally. I miss being able to fall asleep when I'm tired -- my heart races and I can't relax. I'm just all over the place right now.

So, I'm sorry I've been absent -- I miss you guys too! -- and I'm glad so many of you are having an easier time than me!
#14 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 11:39 AM

nak
fiddledebi, I'm so sorry it's been such a rocky start. I hope that things improve dramatically for you, and that you're getting lots and lots of support.
#15 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Me too, Debi. Hang in there and take things one moment at a time. Adrienne, good luck with continuing bf. It took me 6 months to get dd1 to latch on and then, she did! I used a nipple shield with her. Can you get your hands on one of those?

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#16 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 12:12 PM

Fiddledebi, I'm sorry for how things are going. It *will* get better. Immediately postpartum can be hard even when things went as planned. Give yourself time to grieve, heal and get to know your baby. (((BIG HUGS))) to you.

We're doing fine here. I'd forgotten how difficult it is to get things done with a newborn! I'm lucky I got a shower today, and now I need to mop the floor!

Our new dd was on bili lights for a week--it was a total pain, but her levels got really high and weren't coming down. She's off the lights now, thank goodness. We love her so much--I can't wait until she starts smiling
#17 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 02:13 PM

Hi, all. Great to see everyone in the "new" location. Dh is out for a walk with ds, so (of course) I head straight for the computer instead of taking a much-needed nap.

Jonas is doing great--eats like a champ, sleeps for 2 4-hour stretches at night, and only gets upset when he's gassy. (Any good solutions for gas, by the by?) I think I need to sleep more during the day, though--I start to crash by early evening, at which point it seems silly to nap.

I have to start my "job" (as a teaching assistant for an undergrad class) after Labor Day, which I'm just dreading. I know it only means a couple hours a week away from ds (during which time dh will have him out in the sunshine), but I'm worried about how it's going to go. My prof is (relatively) understanding, but it would be great to have a couple more weeks of babymoon before reality sets in. I need some major practice carrying ds in a sling and breastfeeding in public!
#18 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 02:52 PM

fiddlebi - I am so so sorry that you're having such a difficult time - I thought I had it rough - Kier wants to nurse every hour to two hours, then sleeping at night has become fleeting at best. Then I see how difficult it is for you and I just want to give you the biggest softest hug ever. My prayers and thoughts are with you, Mama.
#19 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 03:18 PM

fiddledebi, i hope things settle down for you soon! how tough.

Kitty - that is so hard - good for you for pumping. have you seen an IBCLC lactation consultant or called your local LLL leader? those are both great resources for getting him back to the breast. Have you thought about supplementing him with a cup or syringe feeding? or using a supplemental nursing system?

Adrian will be 2 weeks in 2 days and is doing great - very laidback! Eats pretty much every 2 hrs during the day (mostly i still have to wake him), sleeps all the time. he has an awake period from 8-10 at night, and he can be kind of fussy then. I think i've figured out that he likes to cluster feed then, but gets gassy, and then fussy. so gas drops and burping helps, and I'm giving up dairy. sniff sniff. I noticed after I had cereal last thursday am that the gas fussies started that night. we'll see if it makes a difference.

he's sleeping well at night, will go to bed with me around 11, and wake around 2:30, 5L30, and 7:30 or so.

I REALLY miss my dd, she is so amazing! Julia is 27 mo and just wonderful. My mom was here for a week, and now MIL is. I'm looking forward to juggling 2 kids b/c I will have more time with just dd, even if she is sharing me with ds.

Is anyone else doing only one boob per feeding? with dd i was convinced i needed to nurse "by the book" and would always offer both, but this time I'm trying to really make sure he drains the first one, and normally by then he's nursed for 30 min and is full. I seem to have plenty of milk.
#20 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 05:15 PM

Carrie - Annabelle started with both breasts. Now, if she just drains one, she'll sleep for two hours. If she's hungry enough for both breasts, she'll sleep for four hours. It seems to depend on the time of day.

#21 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 09:51 PM

my ped told me with my oldest to consider one side a "meal" and to think of it as dessert if she wanted the other side too
#22 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 10:10 PM

Hi all. Just sort of a fly-by. Having serious supply issues and having to supplement. Still haven't heard back on the house we looked at friday, and she said she'd call today. So I'm a bundle of nerves, which isn't doing my supply issues any good.

Miss Emma was six pounds fourteen ounces at her doctors visit Friday, and recieved her hep B shot much to my dismay. But with Tony's lines of work, and the current status of many of our friends, we felt it best. She's alot more awake and alert now, which is fun. She'll be four weeks tomorrow, and Tony and I keep pinching ourselves and each other, since we can't believe it...
#23 of 245 Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#24 of 245 Old 08-30-2005, 01:34 AM

OAL here too! I try to pump off the letdown or catch it on the side. He seems to be doing better with it than he was. He is gaining well though, up a pound in a week. His clothes are fitting so much better!

#25 of 245 Old 08-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Oh, I don't know how you mamas with older kids do it! It's a good thing my mom came... all I do is nurse, it seems! The first two nights with CJ he slept the whole night through and I couldn't wake him up to nurse for anything which really freaked me out until I realized that he did just as much work as I did during our 55 hour labor, so he's pooped too. Sure enough, he has been able to nurse every 2 hours or so for the last few nights.m It's a big learning process for us both, but it does get a bit easier every day, and of course I wouldn't trade a minute of it, I love that little guy so much. I love how he snuggles against me and dh at night as if he just can't get close enough.

Poor DH thought I was off my rocker when day 3 arrived and my hormone flux got me bawling all day.

I haven't measured CJ's feet, but they are huge!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#26 of 245 Old 08-30-2005, 02:56 PM

*sigh* baby has lost 8 more oz, he's down to 5 lbs 12 oz. I am trying to sort out a way to get him to nurse more and with more vigor. He's just such a docile sleepy baby, typical down syndrome baby I guess..from what I've read. He has a good latch but doesn't stay on or doesn't stay with it long enough to get the hind milk. I end up having to jiggle, tickle, etc to get him to nurse and he only does it half-heartedly then. I could nurse then pump and feed that with a bottle so that he gets it all faster. But man I can't nurse/pump/nurse/pump around the clock! I'd wear myself to a frazzle!! *sigh* guess if I had to I would but hopefully with more diligence I can get him gaining without that "exotic" alternative.

-Kitty
#27 of 245 Old 08-30-2005, 04:55 PM

#28 of 245 Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 PM

Hi all,

I've been lurking around reading everyone's birth stories (and crying over them - why do weddings and birth stories always make me cry?) and wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to everyone. Sorry I'm not great at getting to write a personal congrats to everyone, but Jessie requires both hands for nursing and when she sleeps I usually have to take care of everyone else I've also been grieving for ppl with difficulties - esp rainbowmoon

Jessie will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. MW Monica just came by again tonight for a weight check. Jessie had been 10 lb 12 oz at birth, dropped down to 10 lb at the peds office at 2 days old, then back up to 10 lb 9 oz at 1 week. BUT she hasn't gained AT ALL since then. She eats like a champ, only on one side at a time - a good 3-4 oz (I pumped once so far and that's what I got). I'm wondering if she gets enough hindmilk, though? I don't have OAL-like spraying, but definitely dripping a lot if she pulls off - but she gulps like crazy (minor choking occasionally) for a good 5-10 minutes and then is done. She clicks - breaking suction between most sucks/swallows - so she gets a lot of air which causes spitup once or twice per 24 hrs if she doesn't get a good burp. When she spits up she definitely has a LOT in her stomach. She has plenty of dirty dipes and is definitely progressing in development. SO, Monica says she is surprised, but not concerned yet. She will weigh Jessie again at my 6 week checkup, then we'll see... I have to say that in spite of all the good signs, I AM worried. Anyone have advice?

Aside from that, she is happiest when sleeping, eating, or taking a bath. Otherwise she is pretty grouchy. She cluster nurses in the evening and I can usually get a good 4 hour stretch of sleep around midnight, then 3, then back to every 2. Overall I am feeling pretty rested. Hard to find time to shower - especially since we started back up with schooling this week. My heart just melts at those involuntary sleepy smiles, though!

Remember - It only gets easier! AND goes by SOOOOoooo fast!

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#29 of 245 Old 08-31-2005, 12:57 PM

subscribing - don't have time to read or write on my way back to the NICU to be with Jack. But I didn't want to lose track of the group now that I've found it. Best wishes to all.
#30 of 245 Old 08-31-2005, 01:07 PM

Just a quick post while Binky-girl sleeps and DD1 is out grocery shopping with DH....

This second baby has been way easier on me than the first one...I can't believe 3 weeks have gone by already! I don't think Binky is any "easier" than DD1 was...it's just that it's not all new to me so I'm not stressed out all the time.

She was 8 lbs 7 oz at birth and was 9 lbs last week at her 2-week check-up...some of her clothes are already fitting differently!

She was pretty jaundiced for awhile but that's cleared up thanks to time and acupuncture...I think she (and DD1, probably) had ABO incompatibility (I am A, DH is O, so the girls are probably O too) and that can cause extended jaundice.

She's not a scheduled baby at all...she is up sometimes for 20 min, sometimes for 4 hrs, and sleeps usually 3-4 hrs. Does not like to be put down to sleep unless she's VERY asleep - otherwise she wakes up. Nursing is going well - she still chokes on the milk occasionally but has gotten the hang of the whole thing.

She is a LOUD sleeper too - always grunting and making little gritchy baby-dinosaur noises.

DD1 is getting used to her and is no longer sleep deprived (she slept for 13 hrs last night!) so we are hoping the rest of this week goes smoothly.

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page