*****Sept. 04 Moms of ONE YEAR OLDS!!!***** - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 309 Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the encouragement and advice everyone. I got on the net yesterday and found tons of moms in my situation who now have healthy children, but were told the same thing by their pedi. : I'm disappointed b/c I really want to find a medical doctor that I can TRUST, but that seems to be impossible in Dallas. My current seems to be the lesser of evils- at least she didn't make me get the vax. (of course, I did fib and tell her that Kate had had a fever the night before. )

I am not going to quit breastfeeding. That just is crazy, I think! I am going to try to feed her fatty foods...she had mac and cheese last night....but I don't want to go too far because I like that she has such a healthy diet.

I tried giving her cow's milk yesterday and she wasn't interested AT ALL. She doesn't like yogurt. I bought the drinkable sweet kind, and she's not interested in that either. Although avocado was her first food, she is uninterested in it these days- even when I make guacomole!

But, you know what? You guys are right. She IS healthy, happy, outgoing, all over the place, and just down right wonderful. So, I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks so much for the support!

Becca, on the kellymom chart, how do you know which percentile that is? She's a little above the third curve from the bottom...I can't find a key that tells what percentile the lines are...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 309 Old 09-30-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
I am going to try to feed her fatty foods...she had mac and cheese last night....but I don't want to go too far because I like that she has such a healthy diet.
- but don't forget that fats are an ESSENTIAL part of a healthy diet, especially for babies! Even adults need fats... just not the hydrogenated, saturated, fractionated ones that we tend to like here in the US. There are some superb natural fats out there... and I forgot to mention nut butters. T loves almond butter and tahini. and hummus is a complete protein in itself (chick peas complement the tahini).

Have you ever read/seen "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon? You might consider looking at it. It's both a presentation of research supporting and a cookbook for preparing more whole foods with fats in them. There are a lot of families in my school who believe wholeheartedly in her recipes/foods/advice and our school is chock full of insanely healthy children... and none of them fat, either.

ps: If I could ship our family doc to you, I would... she's great, and she's still nursing her 4-year-old.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#303 of 309 Old 09-30-2005, 12:29 PM

Thanks, I'll check out that book.

I don't mean to make it sound like she has no fat in her diet. She eats eggs, nut butters, hummus, beans, olive oil, some cheese (she just isn't interested in dairy...), etc. I just mean that I'm not going to go CRAZY and forget about all her other food group necessities.
#304 of 309 Old 09-30-2005, 05:45 PM

AugustineM - I was thinking last night and recalled you saying that the bottle of the teething tablets had been open? Could it be possible that something, like cleaning spray, possibly gotten into the bottle? Just a thought...

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#305 of 309 Old 09-30-2005, 07:00 PM

Hello, all! Andrew has had a fever for the last 2 days and been insanely fussy and clingy. My house is a disaster and I'm getting frustrated because I can't get anything done! He just wants to be held or sat next to when he's awake and he wakes if I move away from him when he's sleeping : Plus Friday and Saturday are dh's most stressful days, so he can't really help much. He made supper last night, but I think we might be having pizza or Chineese tonight.

I don't know what's wrong. It's either an ear infection, or teeth, or a reaction to the chicken pox vax (which was about 2 weeks ago, so that would be about right). I'll leave it another day or two before going to the docs, I think, becaus they'll only get grouchy at me and tell me to do all the things I'm already doing and tell me they won't give me antibiotics unless its worse, so come back then. It drives me crazy that doctors always assume you're fishing for antibiotics. HOpefully it will just be a quick virus, or the teeth will pop soon.

Whatever it is, I hope we make it through this fast, because I"m not going to be home next week and a week after that the IL are going to be here, and I wanted to actually have the house clean (like, baseboards washed, walls scrubbed, etc) and un-cluttered. Fat chance of that now that I'm a week behind after dealing with a fussy baby. Oh well. The only thing that will be hurt by not getting it done is my pride.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#306 of 309 Old 09-30-2005, 08:52 PM

Mama Bear -- Yes, that is a possibility about the tablets. I thought about that and tried to remember if anything could have gotten near them and then absorbed... I feel so stupid for being so nonchalant about the bottle and so bad for giving them to him, even though I don't know for sure if that's what caused the reaction.

I can't remember who said that giardia or another type of parasite could be the problem. Now I'm on to researching about that since my doc hasn't called back YET. I've called her three times and I'm starting to get angry. He is still acting fine but now has quite bad diarrhea still with green waxies in it. Sooooo weird.

Jilly-- I hope andrew gets better soon. I am about to mail your doll!!

At Thor's doctor's appointment I couldn't believe it, he weighs 28 pounds. But he has such a long lean body, I've had people tell me he looks skinny!!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#307 of 309 Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 PM

Hugs to Andrew! I hope he feels better soon!

Wow I can't believe Thor is 28 lbs! He must be very tall.

Stacey~ I love my doctor, but he is in Denton. He hasn't said anything negative about Desi's weight. He also said he doesn't care how long I nurse for. I'll ask around at my Dallas AP playgroup about good doctor.
#308 of 309 Old 09-30-2005, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Stacy - well, you'd think I'd be able read that chart better since my masters program in sociologyu had 2 graduate classes basically on chart reading and interpretation . But that third line from the bottom means 1.5 standard deviations from the mean, but the standard deviation isn't indicated. I would ballpark it at about 34-36th percentile. Grrr - just scoured my bookshelves for my good stats texts, but they are MIA - packed up with my classroom books. So I can't actually calculate it out. But it's much closer to 50th percentile than 0!

Hope andrew feels better soon, and Jilly hope you can make some progress. Maybe you could send DH to the store with Andrew and clean like a madwoman for a bit.

Augustine - at least you don't have to worry about THor's growth! Do you think if you took in a stool sample you could have your ped. test it? My nurse SIL has done this at least 1-2 times with her kids, as has a friend whose babe had bloody poop issues.

Alli - enjoy your new dipes! it's awfully fun to get new ones!

MamaBear I forgot to say how cute Vytas and his little buddies are. Looks like a fun party!
#309 of 309 Old 10-01-2005, 11:21 AM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page