*****Sept. 04 Moms of ONE YEAR OLDS!!!***** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rabbit rabbit!! Happy birthday Robin and Zeke!!
#2 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 11:40 AM

Aw, man! I posted Rabbit, rabbit on the old thread. :LOL You beat me to it.
#3 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 12:08 PM

Subbing.

My little man's birthday is in 10 days.

How did they get old so fast?!
#4 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 02:05 PM

woops, baby's awake.

*wave*

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#5 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 03:46 PM

subbing

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#6 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 04:00 PM

thanks for the birthday present ideas, folks. i cobbled together a list and emailed it to my SIL. now i hope more people ask.
#7 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

So sad here - Robin's on nursing strike (or else decided to wean today as a birthday present). She hasn't nursed since going to bed last night at 8pm, other than a few sucks upon waking at 10:30 and midnight. Nuttin' all day - will touch my nip with her lips one time, but won't nurse. I just pumped 13 ounces - more than ever in my life. She is so sad and won't take a nap b/c she won't nurse. I've gotten about 1-1.5 ounces in her by bottle feeding.
My poor girl - what a crummy birthday. But i'm about to put her in the high chair with a cup cake, and that should brighten her day, maybe. Apparently icing trumps mama's milk.

I'm just worried about her....
#8 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 PM

Ribbit, Ribbit!

Hello, all, I'm back! Hope you all had a spectacular month. I won't be able to read last month's thread, so sorry if I duplicate some things in the next few weeks. IReland was great except that we got in a car accident and had to spend a day in the hospital and a day back at the airport working out a new car. Thank God for 5-point harnesses and super safe european cars, because the impact was right next to where Andrew was sitting and he was not injured at all. Everything else was fantastic, though. There is SO much history over there! So many things that are over a thousand years old. It makes North America seem so young!

Andrew is totally wonky today because of the 7 hour time change :. He woke up at 5 am, then fell back to sleep at 8 and slept to 11:30, then fell asleep about 30 min. ago at 5:30. Maybe this is my opportunity to get him back to a 9pm bedtime! Poor guy, he is so confused and tired and hungry at weird times, and all of a sudden after seeing Dad all day every day, Dad was gone. He didn't want down at all today, he was in my arms all day long.

Other than that he's doing fantastic! He's running now, and will walk for about 20 - 30 steps, and he's really into examining everything and waving "hi" to everyone. He is SO outgoing, even though he's also in that "shy" faze, he will still walk right up to complete strangers and take their stuff or "talk" to them. He was saying quite a few words, but in the last few weeks he started to regress a bit, I think because he was really overstimulated, and not talked to as much. BUt the best thing he says is "ah ha ha ha!", which cracks me up. So he's really cute and funny.

Well, I should go and finish unpacking, since he's actually asleep. HOpe you are all well.

YBecca, I hope it's just a strike. That sounds brutal. Also PM me your address so I can make and send Robin her doll.

Jill

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#9 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 11:43 PM

Only eight days till David's first birthday. He is standing nowadays and holding onto nothing. He will take like one step and then he plops down and crawls instead. I am not worried though. He will walk when he wants to walk. I plan on having cupcakes in the park with our playgroup for his birthday. I did inform DH that he needs to leave work early so he can watch David make a mess with the cupcake LOL!

Another milestone today. Today was pre-school orientation for Christopher. I can't believe he will be 3 years old in 2 months. My babies are growing up too fast! For some reason DH's computer didn't beep at him at the time he told it too so he could leave for the orientation. He ended up missing it. As we were leaving, Christopher said, "Dada no go new school!" Poor Grant has felt crushed by that all day! I told him he could make it up by coming with us on the first day of school.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#10 of 309 Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 PM

Happy birthday Robin! Sorry to hear about her nursing strike. What a bummer! Hoping she gets back to normal soon!

Zeke really enjoyed being the center of attention today! I sang happy birthday to him all day and he clapped for me after. So cute!

Crying baby . . .
#11 of 309 Old 09-02-2005, 01:37 AM

Hello all

My DH's stepfather is having a miraculous revovery so we are very happy here. Thank you for the kind wishes.

I am quite down about what I am hearing about the Katrina victims right now. I was driving with Lulu and the CNN radio announcers began talking about the children stuck in the city still, with no water, no food... Horrific. I started to cry. Where is the federal gov't???

I just appreciated anew the luxury tonight of being able to give Lulu a warm bath and turn on the A/C for her comfort. Those poor parents and children out there tonight...

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#12 of 309 Old 09-02-2005, 04:15 AM

I too am so saddened by all the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. =O( We said prayers today for those people out there in the open tonight.

I have not gotten to read emails for a week, and am just now getting back online a little bit since our exchange student arrived. He is wonderful! He looks so much like my nephew in Georgia, too. Weird. And my mom was here from Thursday through Tuesday, which was also wonderful. I miss her so much already! She sure enjoyed the kids. And even watched them while Matt and I went on .... a DATE! Alone. We saw 40 Year Old Virgin. Boy that was funny. Way too coarse for my tastes, but still funny. I especially loved the ending.

Jen, your cute little dolls arrived Saturday, the day before the twins' birthday! What impeccable timing. How soft and simple and adorable they are!! The babies lit up when I brought them out. And they snuggle them and like it when I do a "puppet show" with them (for those of you not in the know, these dolls had a little body under the blanket arms that makes them great for puppeteering). =O) I finally got a moment tonight to sit down and design my Tristan Doll. It is so cute! I can't wait to finish and send it... Oh, and I did zero sewing all last week, so you and Cheryl's diapers are half finished, just like they were 9 days ago. : I want to go ahead and finish them so I can just send them all together with the dolls, if that's OK with you.

Are we sharing doll pictures somewhere? I don't know if I'll get to back up and catch up on threads.

I did see that I missed Mielle's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her and anyone else I missed!! What a year.

William is quite the walker now. McKenna now also says "uh oh." Very cute. And they got little ride-on/push toys for their birthday and have been quite mobile. The very first day, McKenna figured out how to climb on top of hers and perch with both feet on the seat, then climbed from there up onto a low table and stood up. EEK! Oh, and she's especially proficient these days at removing her own poopy diapers, to my dismay. Yesterday evening she finally succeeded in smearing orange poop all over my cream colored carpet in the play room, and I think she even tasted a little bit. Niiiiiiiiccce.

OK, off to work on Mr. T.
#13 of 309 Old 09-02-2005, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy, happy birthdays to our growing babies!! I can't believe they're all turning ONE!!

Iain's birthday is Monday and we're trying desperately to get the house ready AND plan his party. Eek! So many things going on - waiting on furniture to arrive (they sent our couch to California!!!), packages, unpacking, trying to be social and get the kids out, new installations of various stuff, G starting school... Craziness.

Anyhow, I'm really just subbing because ... Iain's rousing.. off to bed!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#14 of 309 Old 09-02-2005, 05:08 PM

Becca, how is the nursing going?
#15 of 309 Old 09-02-2005, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

None, nada zip.
Last night I did her usual bedtime ritual, went to nurse her at the end, and as usual she was closing eyes and opening mouth on the way into the rocker, but she just touched my breast with that mouth, then picked her head up, laid her little cheek on my breast, smiled and closed her eyes. It was like "ahh, this is my breast, goodnight". But then she couldn't really get to sleep. She tossed, settled, tossed and fussed, etc. and then finally she started rooting. I have been leaving my boob out even when she refuses to nurse, just in case, so when she started rooting I shoved a boob in her mouth really fast and she nursed for a few minutes to sleep. But that's it - once in almost 48 hours. I've been pumping and am very engorged, but I'm more worried about her.

I got her to drink a little EBMi n a sippy cup, and I mixed some with organic whole milk to get her to drink a little more. But she was awake, crying and miserably trying to get back to sleep, all night long. Today and yesterday she has been in so much obvious pain, so i decided to take her back to the ped. this afternoon. She saw the same nurse practitioner as last week, who saw the one infected ear as "no better" and saw nothing in the other ear, but then called the dr. in for a consult - he saw significant infection in both ears. SO, now I don't have much faith in the NP, you know. So, now she's on augmentin, and got a super antibiotic shot. I know all the arguments about not using antibiotics for ear infections, but I also know that this infection stems from a bacterial infection that she got from me, and after several nights of her unable to sleep for the pain, I will try anything that has a reasonable chance of improving matters. Plus, she's lost a half pound since last friday, even being weighed in a wet daiper.

Such a poor baby!

The Katrina stuff is breaking my heart too - especailly thinking of all those stranded mamas and kids, and having to explain to a child that their home has been destroyed. I really want to find the street address of a local shelter in AL/LA/MS and send some of the clothes I have ready to donate, not to mention diapers, etc. The red Cross only wants money, which I understand, but I can only spare so much cash and have lots of other stuff that I and others can gather up and send. I figure if the mail is working to the shelter, there's no need to go through the red cross. Plus, there's all the resources of the Junior Leagers at Robin's school, and I am sure a mailboxes etc. would donate shipping... I just need a few hours of RObin being okay to set stuff up...
#16 of 309 Old 09-02-2005, 07:47 PM

Oh, Becca, that's so sad! Poor Robin! I was reading your post and thinking, "there must be something physical...ears?" I'm so glad you got to see the doc and got her the meds she needs. I definitely think that ear infections that are so drastically affecting her nursing need to be treated aggressively! Please let us know how she does - and you, too!

I just got an email from my church about what we'll be doing to support the families displaced by Katrina. We're in the Houston area, so we have MANY refugees here now. I'm very pleased with the plan our church has put together, to minister directly to these families in our immediate area. Apparently several local churches are joining together and "adopting" families housed at area hotels, so we'll provide hot meals, basic necessities, prayer, and even time to get out for game nights, plus more plans on the table. I've seen so many advertisements and requests for help through Red Cross, etc., and like Robin, don't really have the cash for that sort of thing. I'm very happy that we'll be able to help directly, through not only the giving of our things, but also our time and hospitality.

A year ago today I was in labor. It's incredible to think about it now, to look at my sweet little boy and think THAT's the baby that was in me, that was working at getting out, that stubbornly kept his hand by his head, that looked just like his brother when I saw him for the first time. We've come such a long way! I remember being so shocked that it was a boy, as I'd completely expected and planned on a girl. Yet, of course, I couldn't imagine any baby other than Iain now. He is turning into such an amazing and wonderful little guy; I can't believe he'll be a year old on Monday!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#17 of 309 Old 09-02-2005, 11:48 PM

Hi again! I didn't get to read either last month. This board moves so fast!
I can't believe our babies are turning one! Desi will be one September 6! She was born on labour day after 31 hours of it! I was a bit depressed last month as the time came near. But my emotions have leveled.
For Desi's party, we're having a unicorn theme. I hope it can be all vegan, but my stupid sister called and complained to me and I'm sure she complaiend to my mom about no meat being there. So now my family will probaly bring meat to the house. Grrr!
I too am saddened over the Katrian hurricane. DH and I just signed up to open our homes to the victims. That is all that we can do to help. We don't have much money to give right now.

Update on Desi:
She is standing by herself right now. Still not walking, but she has been crusing for a while. Nursing still, although not quite as often. Sometimes I worry abou the dip in my supply. I have a nasty ear infection right now and am taking antibioitcs. So I've been taking achidiphillous to try to prevent the yeasties. Also I ate some oatemeal this morning and took a couple of fennel greek.
She has 4 teeth now. Just got her 4th one in this week so she is learning to latch on again. This has happened each time with a new tooth. Not looking forward to those molars. Ouch!
#18 of 309 Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 PM

With all this posting on babes nursing less frequently....

About a week ago, Kate dropped her late evening feeding and was only nursing 3 times a day. I figured that was ok since she was still having 3 "meals." But, for the last 2 days, she seems to be dropping her 3rd feeding, too. When I try to nurse her, she will pop off and on and just play and I never really have a let down.

So now I'm freaking out a little. Is she weaning??? I mean, she isn't even a year old yet! She gets no milk or dairy...I don't know if this is normal or what. I'm sure my pedi's office will say it is normal if I call them...what do you guys think? Especially those of you who have older dcs...

Becca, I hope things gets better soon. I bet she'll pick up when her antibiotics start working.
#19 of 309 Old 09-03-2005, 02:43 PM

I think its common for them to go through a nursing strike at around this age. I think she will get to nursing fulll force again. I don't know how often Desi is nursing, honestly.
#20 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 11:25 AM

Hi all -- sorry you have not heard from me for a couple weeks. We switched from cable to DSL & the internet connection is now slower & unreliable; need to switch back I think.

One quick thought on New Orleans -- was anyone else struck by the incredible emphasis on formula and the dramatic illustration of how, the poorer you are and darker you are, the more likely you are to be using formula rather than BM? It's one thing that many or most of the mothers in the horrific Superdome situation were on formula that ran out, so that babies were dehydrated, but in the hospitals where brand-new babies were being born, they kept discussing how they were going to run out of formula ... this was the most compelling illustration I've ever seen of the logic of breastfeeding, and yet it seemed that mothers & doctors were still assuming that these moms should use formula. I am so not a militant about breast is best, BUT this just seemed crazy. Those poor, poor people. People being forced to part with their animals is also so heartwrenching.

On nursing: I too have noticed a pretty dramatic decrease in Lucy's nursing. Still nurses to sleep but the quantity of milk she gets is small; takes about 8 oz of expressed BM per day with her babysitter, & maybe nurses 3 times otherwise, but never for very long. I am going to introduce cow's milk very shortly and we'll see what happens with nursing then ... I expect it will become less for nutrition & more for comfort, which is OK with me.

Funny Lucy story: her new word of the week is "As." It's her name for our dog Astro (that should date me as one of the oldest new moms here, right? Any of you young'uns not know who Astro is/was?) Lucy pronounces "As" very clearly and deliberately -- adorable when you know what she's referring to, a bit odd when you don't ...

Happy birthday to all the one-year olds! Lucy's not one for another two weeks, but sheesh -- that went quickly. When do we move to the toddler forum??

Some new pictures in signature.

Well, off for a shower before she wakes. Nice to hook up again.

xxoo

Lisa

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
#21 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 11:28 AM

Can anyone tell me how things like rice milk and almond milk compare (nutritionally speaking) to cow's milk? If dd is allergic to cow's milk, could I use these instead?
#22 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 11:41 AM

Leomom: There was a long discussion in the breastfeeding beyond infancy forum a while back with a mom who weaned an 11 month old abruptly to rice milk. Many posters said rice milk has almost no nutritional value and should not be called "milk" -- it is sugar water with rice for white coloring, basically. I would guess the same for almond milk. The posters said use formula if not cow's milk or BM, I think.

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
#23 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysmom
Leomom: There was a long discussion in the breastfeeding beyond infancy forum a while back with a mom who weaned an 11 month old abruptly to rice milk. Many posters said rice milk has almost no nutritional value and should not be called "milk" -- it is sugar water with rice for white coloring, basically. I would guess the same for almond milk. The posters said use formula if not cow's milk or BM, I think.
Hmmm...that's strange. On the package, the rice milk says it has 25% of daily calcium (as compared to milk which has 30%) and 13 grams of sugar (milk=11grams)...

Almond milk looked to be comparable with a little less calcium (20% I think) and more protein...can't remember the sugars, but I'd think it would be lower...

I am not weaning her off of breastmilk be any means, but she's kind of dropping off herself, so I was looking for something to give her with meals as a supplement a couple times a day...

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find that thread.
#24 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 11:48 AM

I would ask a doctor. I think rice milk is as nutrional if not more so than cows milk. There is an organic toddler formula out there if you want to give it to Katie.
#25 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Yep, I'm gonna as my pedi, but I like to get other opinions, too.
#26 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
Hmmm...that's strange. On the package, the rice milk says it has 25% of daily calcium (as compared to milk which has 30%) and 13 grams of sugar (milk=11grams)...

Almond milk looked to be comparable with a little less calcium (20% I think) and more protein...can't remember the sugars, but I'd think it would be lower...

I am not weaning her off of breastmilk be any means, but she's kind of dropping off herself, so I was looking for something to give her with meals as a supplement a couple times a day...

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find that thread.
Heck ... I guess that's why it's good to figure things out for oneself rather than accept the received wisdom. Sorry for mindlessly repeating what I read, even from the usually right-on moms at MDC. Maybe they meant that in the context of weaning, it does not replace the ... fat content of BM? Not sure.

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
#27 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 12:41 PM

Today is ds' birthday!!! I am sick as a dog right now. We were planning on going to the mountains to visit family and have a birthday party at their summer house, but we are postponing it b/c I am not doing well. Hopefully, it will pass very soon.

Regarding rice milk - I have been giving it to ds in his sippy cup in the mornings. He still nurses about 4 times a day (and eats 3 solids meals plus snacks), so I know he's getting plenty of protein and fats through me. It is important for children at this age to get enough protein and fats for their brain development, so maybe try adding olive oil or ground flax seeds to meals to boost fat intake if you feel your babe (or should I say toddler) isn't nursing enough?

Gotta go get some rest!

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#28 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Happy birthday, Vytas! So sorry you're feeling bad, Christine! Hope you're doing better soon!

I had a friend recommend almond milk with my first. I think she introduced it to all of hers before cow's milk. You wouldn't have issues if the babe is allergic to cow's milk, but you would, of course, if there are nut allergies. I suppose for that reason rice milk is preferable, but I can see how it wouldn't have as much nutritional value. I wonder if some of what's in it - calcium and all that - is fortified rather than inherent in the rice? Anything that's fortified tends to be less readily available than it's natural counterpart. I'm no expert, though!

Well, gotta get the boys up and off to church... I can't believe we have company coming in today and Iain's birthday tomorrow!! I am SO not ready!

#29 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 03:23 PM

Hmmm..if it were fortified would it say it on the ingredients? The rice milk I have just says milled organic rice...
#30 of 309 Old 09-04-2005, 06:02 PM

goat milk is said to be easier to digest because the proteins in it are smaller than those in cow's milk. It also has those good fatty acids in it. Besides, it tastes YUMMY (if you like that goaty flavor, which I do, !). Avocadoes are also a good source of healthy fats...

Lisa - this is a possible explanation on the formula thing, and I want to say to everyone reading this that I am NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUMENT ABOUT RACE HERE, NOR DOES IT INDICATE SUPPORT FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE DOCTORS AND NURSES YOU MENTIONED - this explanation is merely based on what I was told - ok, now that that's clear I used to date a black woman who grew up very poor in the south, and for one, she said that all the black women she knew considered their bodies and parts "nasty", and she was also raised to believe this about herself. Secondly, she told me that the poorer you were, the more you tried to separate yourself from actions that indicated poverty - I guess this isn't necessarily limited to any color, since my godmother who was a social worker up here in very pale Minnesota always complained about mothers who would spend an entire clothing budget for their babies on a couple of very expensive name-brand outfits instead of stocking up for the whole year at a garage sale - and being "able" to feed your baby formula instead of having to have it hanging off of your breast, well, that would indicate that you've got some money to spend, hey? And lastly, there has been a dearth of support for breastfeeding in the black community for quite some time because of the lack of vitamin D in breast milk and the higher occurrence of rickets in black babies. Mothering had this as a cover story about a year and a half ago. This myth is obviously still perpetuated. The worst part is that you can't force a woman to breastfeed her child. She has to want to, and if she's dead-set on feeding formula and isn't willing to put the work into learning how to nurse and can't be convinced of its benefits for her child (much less the convenience and reassurance it would provide her that her baby would always have something to eat in this nightmare situation!!), what more can the hospital do?

OK, all done. Phew. I got housework to do. Happy birthday to recent birthday babies, xoxo j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page