July 05 mamas- It's September! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 211 Old 09-06-2005, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Then he wants to lay on his mat on the floor and laugh at the celing fan for about an hour." Isn't it amazing how entrancing a ceiling fan can be - Georgia could stare up at that thing ALL MORNING (once she eats in the am, I often read while she sits and looks up at that wonderful contraption)

I don't know what I'd do without my super absorbant nursing pads - I couldn't handle the feeling of a wet or damp pad against my skin so I don't use the cloth ones now. Maybe I'd like the lilly ones better? I am one leaky mama for sure....I still have to put in the pads fresh every am, by then even the lansinoh disposables are super soaked. But at least me and the sheets are dry! Hoping it evens out soon and I can go without them or even, dare I dream, braless at night.

I don't leak when I go to the bathroom, but I gush milk -literally, it goes flying across the room! - whenever I undress to get in the shower. Who knows why! Made it to playgroup and the bank today...small victories. I asked DH not to go to sleep when he gets home today - he has been walking in, taking the baby, and then taking a nap. I need adult conversationm and HELP with the baby, not an empty room without the baby. He's very grouchy about it, but maybe he'll cheer up. Sheesh. I'm not saying he can't nap later, just not the second he comes home, you know? He didn't even get up to change dipes last night, said he was too tired!!!
#62 of 211 Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM

Hi all, haven't been around much, a bit busy, and checking other boards as well. Glad to hear that everyone is doing fairly well.
Is anyone sleeping through the night yet or at least 6 hours....desperately needing more than 3 hours at a time here!
Acelin is growing well, he will have his two month check up soon, I just need to make the appt. He is really growing out of things quickly, he is fitting into the 0-3 month, but just barely, the 3-6 month fit much better with a little room to grow, but not much. He wants to be held all the time, which is ok for me, but not for Cameron "put the baby down!" he says quite often. He wants me to play with him all the time, even more so now than before I had Acelin. Thankfully he does have a little friend who lives across the street to play with.
As for birth control, it's up to my dh to get "fixed" right now he's lucky if he gets to cop a feel....
well, baby beckons and I suck at NAK.
donna
#63 of 211 Old 09-06-2005, 08:38 PM

RE: Lilypadz

I got a pair with DD1. They are sticky silicon things that stick to your breast and use the pressure idea to keep you from leaking. They were nice with Ellie after I wasn't leaking a bunch - but early on, if I was going to leak, the Lilypadz wouldn't stop it. They're better this time with Eva because I barely leak - only one the other side while nursing. But since I only leak on the other side during letdown and not other times, I just only use pads while I am nursing outside of the house. So I don't use the Lilypadz much. I don't like that they are sticky and pick up fuzz and stuff from your clothes, though.

I haven't been able to gather from the siggies - but how many other tandem nursing mamas do we have here? I think part of the reason I barely leak is because my body is just used to lactating now. I've been nursing continuously for almost 24 months now!

Eva is officially off the O2 today. We saw her pediatrician and agreed with me that she doesn't need it anymore. She is 7lb10oz. Her low weight was 5lb0oz so I think that weight gain in just over 5 weeks is awesome! She's still not as big as Ellie was at birth, though (7lb13oz)!
#64 of 211 Old 09-06-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanetteL
This birth control discussion is interesting to me - as we've only just begun to discuss it (how do you have sex with a baby in between you and houseguests in every other room???
baby on a soft blanket on the floor
#65 of 211 Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 PM

So I had a follow-up visit with the OB since I am STILL bleeding 9 WEEKS after delivery : . I had an ultrasound last week, and discussed the findings today - there's something, probably a chunk of placenta, left in there. Now I have to decide whether I want to have a D&C or keep waiting for it to pass. I'm waiting for today, but if the bleeding/cramping gets heavy again I may go for the procedure. I'm just reluctant to do anything else to my poor battered uterus.

I'm tandem nursing too...don't leak very much, except during a letdown if I haven't nursed on the other side in a while. I can stop it just by pressing in on the nipple as I feel the letdown. At night I just throw a diaper over the other boob (I've only got one nursing at night). Milk dripping down my chest is a creepy feeling to me. I leaked like CRAZY with Simon though and went through many pairs a day of the super-absorbent disposable pads. The cloth ones would soak through instantly, there was no point. Plus I was worried about yeast. I thought I might try some of the advanced silicone types if I were really leaking again, but so far I haven't needed them.

Simon is getting better adjusted to Lily I think. She's just a part of life now. He's still almost two, so he's still prone to tantrums if I don't do as he asks RIGHT NOW...you know. He's just being him though. Getting out to the park, playing a lot, helps a lot. He also is loving "doing the dishes" ie playing in the sink. He's going through a language breakthrough too, really starting to say a lot of words...it's a lot of fun and hopefully will help with his frustration level. He doesn't seem particularly jealous of Lily, doesn't mind if she's in the room for his bedtime routine or in the bed with us for naptime or nursing while he does. He likes to show her toys. So it's okay. I feel crazy and overwhelmed at times with 2 under 2, can't imagine 2 under 1.

Katie, good for you for continuing to nurse just for today even though it's not feeling real "natural." I'd like to encourage you to hang in there, it does get easier bit by bit in my experience. Maybe working on getting off the nipple shield would make things less complicated? Adding pumping (or bottlemaking by other means) to the routine sounds like it would just add one more thing to your list of things to do. Hugs to you, I have a friend with children spaced like yours and she seems to agree that she wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy even as she loves her children. Both of their needs are so big and I'm sure you hardly have a spare second to take care of yourself.

Take care all
#66 of 211 Old 09-06-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milk Bag
I think part of the reason I barely leak is because my body is just used to lactating now. I've been nursing continuously for almost 24 months now!
I'm nursing 2, as well. I've been nursing continuously for 38 months, and it ain't stopping the leaking! I did get to skip the sore nipples part, so I'll take that one out of the two if I can't have both.
#67 of 211 Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 PM

Shana, the pics are lovely. Your daughter is so cute. I love the way she looks at you.

Katie, I'm sure you are doing a great job. I think we all have times when we lose our tempers and feel like we're not cutting it, and most of us don't have 2 *babies* to care for. At least you were sane pre-babies , I'm not sure I have even that one going for me. As far as the bc, I guess I'm just risking it. It's true-- anything could happen! I hope the bfing gets easier. I'm sure it makes it that much more difficult when you don't have support at home.

Oh! I've stopped bleeding, too. I stopped bleeding at 5 weeks pp with both babies so far. One I "took it easy" after the birth, and the other I didn't. I'm still not convinced I should stop myself from doing things I feel up to doing pp in the name of healing faster.
#68 of 211 Old 09-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah
At least you were sane pre-babies ,
hahahahahhahahah.....no kidding. I'm nuts normally (but in that fun kind of way, unless you're married to me -- or my parents), but now...with the hormones and hte heat...I'm seriously a wreck half the time. Maybe more.
#69 of 211 Old 09-07-2005, 02:19 AM

nak...

shana, love the pix! we use the wax earplugs. they don't seem to bother dd.

more later on...
#70 of 211 Old 09-07-2005, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Brought Gi to work today to meet my friends....it was good to see everyone, but makes me feel even more guilty about planning to resign. My boss gave me my same awesome classroom and a great schedule - this is BY FAR the exception to the rule in the overcrowded, underfunded school where I teach... Argh. It's still a full time job which I really don't feel like I can do this year

There goes my train of thought....I'll be back.
#71 of 211 Old 09-07-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou
So I had a follow-up visit with the OB since I am STILL bleeding 9 WEEKS after delivery : . I had an ultrasound last week, and discussed the findings today - there's something, probably a chunk of placenta, left in there. Now I have to decide whether I want to have a D&C or keep waiting for it to pass. I'm waiting for today, but if the bleeding/cramping gets heavy again I may go for the procedure. I'm just reluctant to do anything else to my poor battered uterus.
I had this too. I passed a chunk of stuff that looked just like placenta at 2 weeks postpartum. Then at 4 weeks, I started to hemorrhage in the middle of the night (ruined my mattress). I came down with a fever and aches/chills then too. Saw my OB, did an ultrasound and bloodwork - there was nothing left in the uterus anymore, but it was much too enlarged for 4.5 weeks PP and my WBC was very high. I had a uterine infection from retained placenta. They just suspect that the last bleeding episode I had took care of everything in there. I was glad to know I didn't need a D&C.

I hope you are able to pass it on your own.
#72 of 211 Old 09-07-2005, 05:11 PM

Oooh, I forgot about the ceiling fan trick. I used it on my friend's baby when we babysat her. But in our new house, the fan is white so she can't see it against the ceiling. I think I'm going to put a spiral on it with black electrical tape and see what that does, lol.

Donna, the most sleep I get at a time is 4 hours, and frequently only 3. So you're not alone. "Lucky if he gets to cop a feel" -- yep, that about describes us, lol. I'm usually so tired and so annoyed by dealing with a fussy baby all day (and half the night), that I don't even want to *talk* to anyone. I just want to be left alone and have some peace and quiet. Not great for our relationship, but hopefully it's a temporary thing.

Cassidy, so sorry to hear about the bleeding complications. I hope it sorts itself out without any further problems.

Binah, I stopped bleeding right around 5 weeks too. I'm hoping it doesn't come back!

Cathy, I've never heard of wax earplugs, but will look into this. Thanks for the info!

Wow, Roxie! That sounds scary. My old boss had a problem with retained placenta and it wasn't caught, and I guess it became gangrenous or something like that, and caused all sorts of problems for her. So I'm glad you and Cassidy are doing okay.

So I've been doing this elimination diet for over 3 weeks now, and feeling like I'm not seeing much difference -- or at least not the type of dramatic improvement I hear happens when you eliminate an allergen. I've been really good about following the "rules", but finally caved on Monday night. I was cooking my dinner, but I was starving, and dh and in-laws were eating take-out food. I was soooo hungry, so I grabbed a piece of pita bread and ate it. I figured what could it hurt, it doesn't seem like the diet is making much difference anyway, right? Well, that was Monday night, and all day Tuesday and Tuesday night (last night) were pretty bad. She was much fussier than she had been for the previous 4 days, when I really felt like we were finally seeing some improvement. She has also been fussy today.

Well, lo and behold, we saw the chiro today and I asked her to muscle test for food sensitivities. Surprise, surprise, wheat is one of them. Also, corn, milk, garlic and cauliflower. The only one of those that really breaks my heart is garlic, lol. Thankfully, I can still have cheese -- just not milk, milk chocolate, etc. (but dark chocolate is okay!). The cheese but not milk seems kind of strange, but I have a friend who is lactose intolerant, and she can still eat some cheeses, so I guess that happens sometimes.

The only other unknown is that we are around the time of both a cognitive and physical growth spurt, and either of those can cause fussiness. But it really did seem linked to when I ate that bread. So for right now, I'll be avoiding those things I guess. But man has she been a fussbudget today. I can't put her down for a second, and even holding her she cries, and our feedings have gone poorly. I've had her in the sling the whole day, where she thankfully usually falls asleep -- oh, my aching shoulder.

Also, a friend told me that cranial-sacral work can release emotions, so I brought that up with the chiro (she has been doing that type of work on dd), along with my suspicion that the deep suctioning just after birth traumatized her. She pointed out that dd always cries during the cranio-sacral work, and it's likely she's releasing and processing some kind of trauma. She also has had to do a lot of work on her jaw, and said that might have been caused by the suctioning, and could also contribute to the bfing problems we're having.

She also muscle tested for the Zantac again, and thinks we can reduce the dose slightly (from 0.4 mL, 3 x day, to 0.3 mL 3 x day). She cautioned me that she cannot prescribe medications or dosages, and that I have to decide what to do, and may want to discuss it with my ped. When we were at the peds last Saturday, I asked about taking her off it, because the bottle says not to stop without supervision. Ped said that if we felt it wasn't helping her, then to just taper her off it. So I'm just going to reduce the dose and see what happens.

That's about it for now. I'm looking forward to being able to eat more foods!!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#73 of 211 Old 09-08-2005, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have two giant baskets of laundry staring me down...grin, I'll need to fold those soon. Gi is having a major growth spurt - the constant nursing is so much easier now then at 3 weeks when my nips were killing me. She's eating "a boob and a half" each feeding too, she used to fill up on just one. I kept looking over this am, and she just snoozed away for hours....she woke up at about 12:30 today, guess you need a lot of sleep as well as milk to grow that much!

I sold a bunch of things on ebay and Amazon, so we'll head out today to mail those, go to the library, and return some things at BRU...I may get her some neutral pants and a pack of long sleeve onesies...she has so many cute clothes from friends and relatives, but with the weather getting cooler, her summer duds just aren't cutting it. There are some hand me downs in the basement I'll go through first.

I've been selling stuff online to help bring SOME money in, so I've been transferring it right to our account, but I've been dying to get her a pair of baby legs legwarmers...so I think that will be my treat to myself and Gi this month. They're only 12 dollars, but I'm not used to not bringing home an income and feel awful spending ANYTHING. I need to get over that for everyone's sake! Baby store credit can't buy everything we need

I have a doctor's appointment today, sigh, I went off Lexapro that I took for my high functioning autism right before I had her, but now that I'm leaving the house more all my old symptoms are coming back....because of the sensory amd social issues I have trouble driving, I've been going days without eating since I forget, I've been petrified of the phone. So I think it IS for the best that I go back on it, I know SSRI's are realtively safe when you're nursing, but still...it was nice to know I wasn't taking ANYTHING for the first time in ten years.
#74 of 211 Old 09-08-2005, 03:17 PM

OMG! One week into Sept and already 4 pages!!!! I only had time to read one and a half! I'm scanning through, but wanted to say hi!

Quick notes: I"m back at work FT. Simon starts going w/ me tomorrow. (MIL was in town for a week so I could start back and cover some things before having the babe.)

Whole family is sharing a cold. Joy. Including babe. Double joy.

No birth control yet. Of course, no sex either, so doesn't really matter! I did get cleared from MW for the deed, but then MIL is here and I want to be able to go slooooowwww and take my time. After DS1 it was waaaaay painful, so I"m a little nervous. However, MW is strongly advising against diaphragm due to lack of muscle tone right behind my urethra (so THAT's why I pee my pants. Nice.). I'm nervous about hormones due to previous horrible experiences, but am considering the mini-pill or the Nuva ring. Anyone got experiences to share on these?? BTW, w/ DS1 I got AF at 5 months PP.

Ok, I habe to go blow by dose dow. :LOL

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#75 of 211 Old 09-08-2005, 04:50 PM

Wow. Had a really intense session with the chiropractor today. She has been doing cranio-sacral work with Madelynne, which is supposed to help her release emotions. As I've said, I think she was traumatized by the deep suctioning after birth, and I suspect this is contributing to or causing our bfing problems, and I've been hoping this work will help her process through that.

DD was hungry when I got there, so when the chiro comes in, I'm feeding her. While I'm feeding, she gently places her hands on dd's head. After a minute or so, dd stops feeding and falls asleep. Chiro then starts moving her head very gently. DD slept through the whole thing, with the most beautiful, peaceful look on her face. Chiro stopped after a few minutes and whispered, "I'll be back in a minute. We have more work to do." After she left, dd woke up and ate some more. When chiro returned, she again placed her hands on dd's head, who again fell into a deep and peaceful sleep. Chiro continued with the work. I had been feeling increasingly intense and emotional during all this (sad, and also overwhelmed by my love for dd), and suddenly found myself crying -- I couldn't stop myself. The chiro said to let it out, that it was good. She said since I was holding dd, I could be feeling her emotions, or even processing some of my own. I told her that I felt so badly about the suctioning, and that I hadn't been able to protect her from it. She told me I had to let that go, because holding onto it made it harder for dd to let it go (chiro's 9 mo old also needed deep suctioning at birth). So I just let myself cry, and realized that I had to forgive myself for not being "perfect", and not being able to protect dd from everything. It felt like this huge release, and a ton of tension drained from my body, and I suddenly felt much more peaceful and connected to Madelynne -- as if a wall had been removed from between us. This sounds so awful, but I almost wonder if I unconsciously resented her, because she was a constant reminder of what I perceived to be a failure on my part (i.e., not being able to protect her). Maybe forgiving myself for not protecting her allowed me to let go of all that.

Chiro also commented that her (chiro's) hands were *really* warm, which meant dd was doing a lot of work. And afterwards, she suggested that I just stay in the room for a while, and let dd sleep in my arms, which I did. Chiro told me she wants to do more work on her mouth/jaw at the next visit, as she thinks there is probably some stuff going on there (no big surprise).

So after a horrible day and night, today she has been so peaceful. All of our feedings have gone well, with all fussiness linked to identifiable reasons -- needed to poop, burp, etc. She slept on and off for several hours, letting me do some catching up of my own. And she's now sleeping in the sling. It dawned on me that we mostly only put her in the sling when she's fussy (because it makes her fall asleep), and maybe I should also use it when she's *not* fussy (I usually just hold her in my arms, because the sling is kind of difficult to use and uncomfortable -- I wish my wise woman sling would get here!!). So I'm trying that out.

So. I've seen things get better and then worse again too many times to say we're through this. However, no matter what happens with her fussiness and feeding problems, I still feel like what we did today was really important, and helpful to her (and me). So that's a good thing.

#76 of 211 Old 09-08-2005, 05:05 PM

Wonderful!

I've experienced things like you described when my friend (and part of my birth team) did Reiki on me - the heat, the deep emotions, etc. At one point I swore she was touching me, and her hands were several inches off my body. IN fact, I still felt her hands on my belly and she had moved on to other parts of my body. I think healing work like this, and cranial sacral are just so powerful on a physical and emotional level. A few years ago I would have scoffed at all of this....funny how experience can change things.

J
#77 of 211 Old 09-09-2005, 03:00 PM

Well, I started reading the Sept. posts yesterday and am finally caught up! Love the baby pics, Shana and Jeanette.
Breast leakage-yuck! whoever posted that the feeling of milk rolling down on your chest from the unused-side is creepy, I feel the same way. I tried going without pads last night and ended up just having to mop up the milk with the comforter all night. Then I had to find a dry section of blanket to cover me and DS.
BC-I got a diaphragm at my 6 week check-up yesterday. We will use either that or condoms. I do NFP, which works with bf'ng, but I am too nervous to use that now. I want 2 more babies, but not another one for at least 3 years.
Showering with babe-I'm going to try this today, and it would be an ideal solution for both of us.
We are settled into our new home. It's an absolute dream for us, with all the land we could want for our herbs and veggies. It took the phone company a week and a half to connect our service, though so we didn't have phone or internet for a while. I was glad to get back online to see what all you ladies and your babies are up to
I love DS so much (obviously, duh) but it grows more all the time. When he was born, I wasn't struck immediatley with overwhelming love, although I certainly did adore him and was very attached from the start. As our relationship grows, so does my fierce love for him. I echo what a pp said about having a 'real' baby now-his personality is coming through, and he is very smiley and connecting with the outside world. When we went grocery shopping yesterday, I didn't put a blanket over his head in the bjorn, like I always used to do. I didn't feel as much like I had to 'protect' him from all the outside stimulus, as he is very interested in what's going on around him. So I left his little head uncovered so he could peek at everything around him. He was in awe the whole time, and my heart melted, it was so cute. He spent half the time staring up at me. He is 6 weeks old and 12 lbs. I could not be more surprised with the baby I got-big, long, strong, and a boy, to boot! DH and I are tiny people, well, weight-wise, anyway, and always have been, so I expected a teeny, dainty little baby. Wrong! It's getting to be challenging to hold a 12 lb boy who is very sqirmy, strong, and can't control his head for long periods of time. And, this is rather silly, but how, um, loudly do your babies poop and pass gas? With DS, it seriously sounds like he sat on a whoopie cushion, they are so loud. DH and I laughed our heads off when he started doing that as a teeny baby (ok we are immature...) esp. since he makes this hilarious face while doing it. Babies are a riot sometimes. In the middle of the night if I have to get out of bed for something, DS sqirms around and grunts really loud until I come back . When I am continually confronted with how painfully adorable babies are, and how much they want us around constantly, I wonder how on earth mothers can leave their babies in cribs all day, or, heavens forbid, do the 'cry it out' method. The thought makes ME want to cry, and I in fact have, just thinking about babies being abandoned shortly after birth and left to their own comforting devices. Horrible.
#78 of 211 Old 09-09-2005, 07:41 PM

VioletMommy, you sound like me. My girl is 6 weeks tomorrow and weighed 12lbs 6 oz yesterday, but both dh & I are smallish people so we are amazed at her size. I must admit slinging her outside is probably not gonna work for me with my back but who knows.

Shana, your girl is a beautie, I am glad that the work with the chiro is going well.

Ok, just lost my train of thought so I will respond later to other posts.

My sweetie is hitting a growth spurt and has been doing major nursing, one night I thought I was going crazy I was so sleepy and she just wanted to nurse. Overall baby is great, gaining weight like crazy. I on the other hand am coping with some issues, my grandma passed away, I only learned last week that she had been diagnosed with cancer. She was like a 2nd Mom to me and this is 16 mos after my Mom's death so I am pretty numb. I have been breaking out with hives which is not fun at all.

We have been using the post partum doula still but next week will be out last week, so it will be interesting to see how things go without her even though I don't think she is that useful. We have decided however to hire a cleaning person bi-weekly and I have discovered Schwan's delivery so this should simplify my life.

Well babe is crying so gotta go.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#79 of 211 Old 09-09-2005, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! Georgia is SO loud - when she's in the pouch sling and pooping/farting everyone within 20 feet turns and looks at me, obviously wondering where the heck that is comig from! I always pull back the sling so they can see her little happy pooping face and just grin.

We went out with a frined to Princeton today - it was nice. Everyone in that town adores my new native - guess they haven't seen one before. We went in mimi maternity and I gave the girl working there an earful when she asked how I liked it it (she was 8 months preggo)....we talked sizes, patterns, good prices LOL

Gi just made the biggest poop we've ever seen! And she outgrew her first outfits yesterday - both the sleep romper and the onesie I tried were too tight! I can't beleive she's already outgrowing clothes - wow! I'd bet she's at least 12 pounds now.
#80 of 211 Old 09-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Pom

Shana - glad the chiro is giving you some peace.

I was gonna reply to everyone else, but now I can't remember anything and am sooo tired. Yesterday both DD and babe were handfuls and I almost lost it. Actually, I think I did. Babe didn't really sleep all day...so unlike her...and didn't fall asleep til 10 PM. I, meanwhile, was ready for sleep by 8.

I keep seeing lovely mamas in Maya wraps and the wraps are tempting me, but I KNOW all that material would just make me feel heavy.

Oh, today was the first day I could wear real jeans AND sit down comfortably!!! Course, they are 3 sizes bigger than my norm, but it was a nice change. Now if only I could get me some new shirts that fit! I only have 3 and they are long sleeved and pretty lame, and my maternity shirts look foolish. I forgot I threw out all ugly/old clothes as I outgrew them, determined to dress nicer when I was done being pg, but I forgot I would probably not have much time or $ to go shopping. Doh.

I am tired of my DH working nights and want him back. Pity me!!!!!
#81 of 211 Old 09-10-2005, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Had a migraine last night, and I even managed to time it so that taking the Excedrin (only thing that works for these aweful things) didn't keep Gi up....but I only managed to drift off for an hour or two and now I'm up again Frustrating!!!! That yucky sleep deprived feeling is ten times worse when I know it's not even because the baby was up!!!!

Maybe I'll have an early breakfast....
#82 of 211 Old 09-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Pom

Yeah, Zoo, we're up early too today -- babe woke up earlier than usual to eat and then DD1 woke up and then babe's diaper leaked, she spit up in the bed...etc etc. Sigh.

I HATE THE CHEAP PAMPERS!!! They don't have stretchy tabs or sides and you can barely get them on, and they seem bigger than the Swaddlers, and I have to plow through this box and hope they don't leak again. Argh. I bought a box of Huggies at Costco and I'm praying they fit okay or I'll just have to give them to my friend who's having a chubby boy and resiegn myself to the fact that this babe will only take the pricey sposies.

I really want to get to the farmer's mkt this morning, but DD is claiming she wants to stay home - "We never stay home!" Sigh. We're home all the time!
#83 of 211 Old 09-10-2005, 03:37 PM

Thank you so much ladies, for the encouragement.

Shana

I'm feeling so much better today. Sleep does wonders.

If any of you have gassy/colicy babies, take some fennel seeds and boil them to make a tea for babe. IT DOES WONDERS!!!!! I couldn't believe it.

<3
Katie
#84 of 211 Old 09-10-2005, 11:18 PM

yeah pom, i feel like pampers won't even fit around dd's belly. we returned the last package we got and bought some huggies. they stretch sooooo much more and they don't seem to leak as often.

shannon, my girl is already outgrowing some of her clothes too. she can't even stretch out her legs in some of her jammies anymore. luckily, a friend just found out she is having a girl in january, so i will have someone to give some clothes to. i never get as much of a feeling of satisfaction when i give things to the thrift store.
speaking of a new native...i was thinking about getting one, but it seems like it would only be comfy for a super small babe. how does Georgia like being in it?

dh and i went out to a show last night. mil watched dd. it was cool of her to hang out w/ the babe, but she has kinda been getting on my nerves lately. she makes sideways comments about how we are "spoiling" dd because we hold her all the time. i told her that i don't believe in cio and she just tells me 'oh you will. don't worry'. she takes every opportunity to disappear with the babe and makes me feel bad for not wanting to let dd spend the night at their house yet. hello?!? she's 2 months old!! she needs her momma! :
this all coming from a lady who put her 6 year old and 4 year old on a bus alone and sent them home.
#85 of 211 Old 09-11-2005, 03:19 AM

Cathy,
I don't know about the New Native, but I got a hotslings pouch and love it -and I've seen friends use it on their three year olds just as easily as I can pop five week old Julianna in. It folds up so small in the diaper bag, and she has tons of cute prints.

Jeanette
#86 of 211 Old 09-11-2005, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Georgia's a 12 pounder, and she still loves it. Like with any sling, just make sure you switch shoulders several times a day. 'specially with big babes I got a great night's sleep to make up for Friday, so I'm finally feeling human again...

SO nervous about leaving her tomorrow for my first day of work (I'm subbing Mondays and Fridays)
#87 of 211 Old 09-11-2005, 03:00 PM

Hi all. I went back to work on Thursday, Simon came with me on Friday. It seems ok. We'll have to see.

Right now the whole family is sharing a cold. Yay. We thought DS1 was in the clear, since the rest of us are at the tail end and feeling ok, but he woke up this morning with a really croup-y sounding cough. Argh. Now I'm going to have to take tomorrow off, which will require that I go in today and pick up some stuff so I can get a bit done at home tomorrow (as if!).

FENNEL: this is one of the main ingredients in gripe water - which works great for us.

POM: We have a bunch of nursing wear on sale right now. PM me your size and I can let you know what we have. You really have to come over! Plan a quick trip. DD1 can play in the kids area, you can try out a few wraps and slings for DD2 and we'll see if there are some clothes that fit you!!

Simon has been growing as well. Yesterday he weighed 10lb. 10 oz. He's a delicate flower compared to DS1! :LOL He's been sleeping and sleeping and SLEEPING. Then he wakes up and nurses, nurses, nurses!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#88 of 211 Old 09-11-2005, 04:24 PM

Just got home from my sister's beach wedding in NJ - it was beautiful! It was perfect weather, great to see family and friends, and Rosie was an absolute doll on both flights! She slept or nursed the whole time. I had people come up to me at baggage claim after both flights to tell me "your baby was so good"

Of course, the only meltdown she had the entire time was actually during the wedding - as soon as I walked down the aisle with the wedding party - she started crying - poor dh missed the whole ceremony trying to console my hungry girl! In hindsight, I probably should have brought a bottle and either pumped or expressed a little to keep her satisfied in this kind of situation - luckily the ceremony was only about 30 min... I will probably have dh give her a bottle soon to practice in case another situation like this comes up...

The only downside to the whole weekend was the constant unsolicited advice we got from EVERYBODY, not only my family, but the groom's side at the wedding, strangers at the hotel, etc. The one that really made me mad was another sister of mine, who has a 3 month old son, who kept trying to shove a pacifier in dd's mouth at every opportunity... I explained that dd usually goes through a fussy period, it is fine, she gets over it, and we have tried using a pacifier, but she doesn't really like it - she spits it out... but my sister insisted "oh you just have to shake it like this" - meanwhile, dd is obviously upset, screaming, while my sister tries to shove the paci in her mouth. Ugh! Why do people do this? I made a mental note to never try to tell anybody else how to calm their baby. Dh got the worst of it during the wedding - I think a lot of people assume dads can't handle their own babies - some of the advice he got was "put a carrot in her mouth" "put her on your shoulder and pat her bottom" "she needs water" and a complete stranger came up and said "want me to take her?" - like he would just hand his baby to a strange person...

Luckily, advice was the worst thing that dd had to endure, She seemed to be nursing constantly (for comfort I think) and if she wasn't, I would tell people, oh, she is just getting ready to eat and I would start to reach under my shirt, that always stopped people in their tracks! Plus, I wore her in my moby wrap, or dh had her in our stretchy pouch sling most of the time, so we got out of the whole "pass the baby" thing. I know a couple people were offended or hurt that they didn't get to hold the baby - but too bad!

Speaking of nursing, I am now a pro at NIP. I walked around the hotel with dd latched on, sucking away, nursed during pretty much every meal, nursed walking on the beach, nursed during the wedding reception (my mom joked that she was surprised I didn't walk down the aisle nursing!) - and I am sure only about 5% of the people who saw me actually knew what I was doing. I don't use a blanket or anything, just a system with a shirt over a tanktop, so when the shirt is pulled up, and the tanktop pulled down, I only have to expose enough of the boob for dd to latch onto and most people just think I an holding my baby and her face is turned towards me. I think that using a blanket just draws attention to what I am doing - like a big arrow "hey - baby attached to a boob under here!"

Oh, speaking of loud farts and poos - my girl is amazingly loud! Burps too! DH and I always have to ask each other "are you sure that wasn't you?" because we find it hard to believe that our sweet little girl can make such loud noise!

Shannon & mmgarda, good luck with going back to work...

Shana, sounds like your chiro is amazing! So glad she is helping you and Maddy and glad you can finally start expanding your diet with more variety!

Shay, so sorry to hear about your grandma

ccohenou, hope it passes on its own and you are better soon

Peace and love to all you mamas!

oh - forgot who asked about the nuva ring for bc - I was in the clinical trials for it before it hit the market - I liked it a lot - didn't feel it at all when it was in - didn't feel it during sex - pretty easy to insert and remove... I had no problems or complications...

sorry for the long post - Ive been gone almost a week and missed you mamas!

namaste.gif
Chelsea - proud mama of my Rosie 7/05 and Sammy 7/07   homebirth.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif
#89 of 211 Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 PM

wow 5 pages! not on line as much anymore....

dorothy turned 4 today, an i turned 29. she got her ears pierced & i got a coffee maker dustin made me a picture that said "i love you" he wrote it without help! i cried.

Liam is a growing boy, wearing 3-6 months now. I've had to make the switch to medium covers & fitteds. He is still a really good sleeper, out for the count around 9ish, nurses sometime in the night, 7:30am, then up for the day around 9:30 - very nice! I can honestly say that he's been easier than dust or dot. He is rolling, laughing and reaching for faces. He loves his snugli & his sister & brothers. He got his shots at the end of last month and ran a fever for two days...ugh...He still refuses all of daddy's attempts at a bottle, but i guess he doesn't need one anyway. We've decided to quit trying lol!

on sex & bc....right now we are using vcf spermacide thingys. i'm getting an iud as soon as my darn csection repair finally closes up.

I have lost 48 lbs since liam was born! none of my pre-prg clothes fit, they literally falll off, so i've been shopping. I joined curves and love the 37 minutes out of the house 3 times a week without kids.
#90 of 211 Old 09-11-2005, 09:03 PM

Well, we finally decided -- we're going with Maddie, over Maddy, lol.

6 week growth spurt -- ARRGGH! Cry, eat, cry, eat, cry while eating. I fed her 4 times between 2 and 6 AM this morning!! Does anyone else's babe fuss when your letdown doesn't happen as fast as they think it should? She's an impatient little imp! But letdown is happening faster again now that my supply is catching up. For a while there, I felt downright empty most of the time. I think I better stop block feeding too (keeping her on the same side for multiple feedings), as it finally seems to be reducing my supply.

She still fusses during feedings, but it's changing. She seems to fuss during more feedings than she used to, but the intensity of the fussing is lessening, and oftentimes I'm able to calm her down enough that she'll actually finish the feeding. Or at least fuss, feed, fuss, feed, etc., instead of just fussing and falling off the cliff, so to speak, and refusing to feed again at all. That would have been unthinkable 2 weeks ago. Also, the nighttime feedings (once we finally get her down) continue to go very well. I think I'd kill myself if she had fussy feedings all night!! I am so looking forward to the day when we can nurse "normally" all the time, though. I hope it comes eventually.

And I think she's finally comfort nursing!! Maybe it sounds strange to be happy about this, but since I often feel like she thinks my breast is an instrument of torture, it's so nice for her to actually seem comforted by it. She'll fuss like she wants to eat, but never really gets down to business and just does little baby sucks and hardly gets any milk, and then she falls asleep. She's sleeping across the boppy right now with my nipple in her mouth, lol.

Had 6 week checkup on Friday and was told that everything looks good. I figured, though, since I haven't been having any problems, discomfort, etc. She asked what we were using for birth control and I said abstinence, lol.

So Maddie celebrated her 6 week birthday by having a huge, explosive poop in the car seat. Good thing the pad is removable and washable, lol.

We made our first big outing yesterday -- went to a street fair that we attend every year. I really didn't want to miss it, since we always see tons of people we know, and it's a nice way to catch up. And dang, I have a baby to show off now!! So we spent about SIX hours there, and she slept almost the entire time -- I couldn't believe it! She was a perfect angel. I actually had to wake her up to eat (never happens). And we used the silicone ear plugs to protect her from the loud music (thanks for the tip, Cathy!), which I think worked pretty well. We had her in the car seat / stroller for a while, and after I fed her the first time I put her in the wrap. When my back started hurting, dh took her and put her in the sling. And then I just carried her around towards the end when she was awake and charming the socks off everyone . It was a lot of fun, and so nice to get out and DO something. Oh, and I NIPed (very undiscreetly) with no problems, although I didn't anticipate any at a venue like this -- very, um, alternative crowd, lol.

Violet, so glad to hear you're settling into your new home -- it sounds lovely. The idea of CIO breaks my heart, too. I overheard someone once say, "I just let him cry himself to sleep at night, and after 3 nights he stopped crying." Well, duh, that's because he learned that there was no POINT in crying, since you were not responding to his needs. Doesn't mean the need is gone, lady : . It makes me so sad to think of little babies feeling abandoned like that. I even felt weird leaving Maddie in the car seat / stroller yesterday. I felt much happier once I had her in the wrap, even though she was sleeping happily in the car seat.

Shay, I'm so sorry about your grandma .

Shannon, I hope your migraine is all gone, and good luck going back to work . Maddie outgrows sleepers faster than we can buy them. She is so long, she can't even stretch out her legs. I was initially annoyed that different brands come in different sizes, but I guess it actually makes sense. Otherwise we'd be really stuck, lol. So we went from A Children's Place (really tiny, she can wear their 3-6 size now), to Carters newborn, to Vitamins Baby, to Carters 0-3 and some Laura Ashley sleepers we got as a gift. She barely has time to stain them with poop before she outgrows them .

Pom, I so kwym about fitting into clothes. I still have 15 pounds to go before reaching pre-pg weight, and I can't quite fit in my clothes. So I have 2 pairs of maternity capris, but they're starting to look ridiculous on me. I think I might go thrifting this week. That sucks about DH working nights -- is this a permanent change? That must be really hard to deal with . We moved Maddie up to size 1 Pampers today. I can't believe we didn't do this earlier -- there's so much more room for catching the poop! Duh!

Cathy, sorry to hear about problems with mil. My mom drops hints constantly about us leaving dd with her. Um, no. Even when she's older, I have no intention of doing this, since my mom is CRAZY. I'm sure this will result in some scenes, but oh well.

Melina, sorry to hear about the cold . I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Chelsea, I'm so glad your trip went well -- it sounds like you had a great time! Way to go on the NIP -- sounds like you're a pro . And I agree on not using the blanket -- it's my goal to learn to nurse discreetly without one. Ah, the wonderful unsolicited advice. I'm sorry to say, but I suspect we had all better get used to it. We tried to take babe grocery shopping the other day, and she was super fussy so I just walked her around outside. Finally sat on a bench and sat her up on my knees facing me, with my hands supporting her back and head. Some woman who could barely speak english came running over screaming that she was too young to sit like that, and begged me to cradle her in my arms : .

Tara, it sounds like things are going great. I'm so glad that things are settling down after your nightmare c/s recovery! Liam sounds like a sweetheart .

Gotta run and make some dinner -- I'm starving. I think I'll have STEAK, now that I can eat more things!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page