Mucous in poop--what does it look like? and mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-04-2005, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yet another poop question:

what is "mucous-like" poop, how can you tell it apart from normal newborn yellow seedy/curdy poop, and what does it mean?

enquiring minds want to know.
#2 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 01:56 PM

:
I am curious too!
#3 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 02:02 PM

NAK..typing one handed...
My ds (4 months) just went through an entire 2 months of mucous poop(months 2-3), and TONS of drooling. Then, he magically cut 2 beautiful teeth ---no more mucous in the poop--just nice seedy yellow stuff!
It could be teething. Sometimes a cold will do it too.

At your baby's young age, it might be a food allergy. Cut out dairy for 10 days, and see if there is a difference--my dd was very sensitive to dairy early on.
#4 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

not to be graphic, but how can you tell the difference between normal and mucousy?
#5 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 03:29 PM

Know what snot looks like? Seriously. Your worst cold, you blow your nose, and then you check the tissue? It's like that.

Can be long thin strands of mucous, can be clumpy bits, can be one giant goo with poo stuck inside.

Mucous often comes along with green or green/yellow poo too.

If you want to test it - smash the diaper together like a tissue, then open, and if it is stretchy and sticking to both sides, it's mucous. If it's just wet and gooey and separates and sticks to the diaper rather than stretching, it's just poo.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#6 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976
If you want to test it - smash the diaper together like a tissue, then open, and if it is stretchy and sticking to both sides, it's mucous. If it's just wet and gooey and separates and sticks to the diaper rather than stretching, it's just poo.
:LOL

This just made me laugh...so much of our lives as moms revolve around poop.
#7 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976
Know what snot looks like? Seriously. Your worst cold, you blow your nose, and then you check the tissue? It's like that.

Can be long thin strands of mucous, can be clumpy bits, can be one giant goo with poo stuck inside.

Mucous often comes along with green or green/yellow poo too.

Thank you! That was exactly the description I needed!!! Seriously, now I know that it IS mucous... next the solution! I see the elimanation diet is in my future, yippee, blandness here I come!
#8 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

That's exactly what I needed, too!

I bet hubby is going to looooove doing this test, since he's the primary diaper changer. :LOL
#9 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 04:59 PM

I did the BIG elimination diet... ate only turkey, pears, potato/yam, rice, and squash for 3 weeks, and then added in new foods (like adding solids!) to my diet one at a time...

I started by getting rid of dairy (and soy) first, and noticed a big improvement, but something was still wrong in my view of what was going on. SO I decided it was faster to get rid of everything and add back in, rather than trial/error one food at a time. I'm so glad I did because we discovered that she reacts to... dairy, soy, chickpeas (yes, can you believe it? apparently dairy and soy protein are very similar in shape, and chickpea protein is very close to soy....), pork, citrus, berries, peanuts, melon, and it's really really been crazy!

SO if you want to do that, and need meal ideas, feel free to ask...

Also, mucous can be the result of a virus or teething, and green poo can be the result of both as well... so you want to look for other symptoms - red ring around the anus, diaper rash with open sores, cradle cap, eczema, tons of ear wax just oozing out, etc.

#10 of 12 Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 PM

When I was on an elimination diet with DS chickpeas was one thing that made his problem worse (he had bloody/ mucusy stool for almost a year- we never could fully eliminate the problem even though I was on the weirdest/strictest diet EVER)

Honestly (I posted this in another post) if the baby is happy and healthy and gaining weight and the only thing you notice is that when you mush the diaper together the poop is kind of stringy, I would skip the elimination diet.
It sucks. This time around with DD I noticed a streak of blood in her diaper at 5 weeks and her poops got kind of stringy greenish-yellow with curds mixed in and I was scared history was going to repeat itself. However because nothing worked with DS I thought I would just see what happened. The blood stopped showing up and even though we still have the stringy greenish-yellow poo, I'm satisfied... I ( : ) brought in an example diaper to my pediatrician and she said it looked fine...

take care
#11 of 12 Old 09-08-2005, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom
Honestly (I posted this in another post) if the baby is happy and healthy and gaining weight and the only thing you notice is that when you mush the diaper together the poop is kind of stringy, I would skip the elimination diet.
: : :
#12 of 12 Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 AM

True enough, if baby is happy. Mine was not. It was miserable here for both of us!!

Lacking any other symptoms (spitting up, rash, screaming, colic, cradle cap) it could just be normal poo, their little bodies are transitioning so quickly and it's a lot for the intestines to keep up with!

Also, red blood = colon, brown blood = intestine.

And if your pedi says "oh they are growing just fine" but you KNOW something is wrong (other symptoms) then go ahead. My dd has severe GERD and was gaining off the charts, she's 20# now, and many docs only diagnise GERD if there is failure to thrive because of the reflux.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page