Early physical milestones? poll on when early walkers started... - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When did the early walkers start walking
6 months or before (eeek!) 0 0%
7-8 months 15 35.71%
9-10 months 22 52.38%
over 10 months 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am simply floored by what my just-barely-five-month-old has started doing in the last week and a half. He started crawling just before 5 months--actual belly off the ground, alternating hands/knees forward and makes it across the room. He pushes himself into a fully upright sitting position (from crawling) and can reach out to pick up toys. Today, he pulled himself up to a standing position.

I am wondering if there are any other physically early babies out there, and if so, when did they start walking? I am hoping that it is impossible for anyone to walk at 6 or 7 months!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 05:50 PM

My family are early walkers... I walked at 9months, my Dad at 8months and now my second son was walking at 9 1/2 months. He amazes me daily also. My Dad was climbing to the top of couches (the back, not the seat) at 8months also.

The only thing that concerns me about early walking is that he is still treated like a baby, because he is one still. I've also read that they're more prone to accidents the earlier they walk, which given my history of accidents and my early walking it carries through life... eek.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:57 PM

DD started walking at 9 months.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:59 PM

My son just turned 9 months old. He took his first steps a couple of weeks ago, and now he is walking about half the time. If he wants to get somewhere quickly he'll still drop down and crawl. :LOL

This link might work: walking If you scroll down and see a black square, move your cursor over it and it should play.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Lindsey walked at 9 months, Josh at 10.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:08 PM

My older dd started walking at 7 mo, and I've heard of a few other babies walking that early. I haven't heard of any babies walking before then, but you never know. Also my dd isn't extra accident prone, but she is a cautious kid in general so that may be why.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:47 AM

My dd was that sort of coordinated early crawler, but she wasn't that interested in walking until right about her first birthday. She spent the months in between climbing book cases and gates and standing on the arm of our rocking chair, holding onto the back and rocking as hard as she could! :
Good news: it may be a while before you have to worry about walking
Not-so-comforting news: you may be very busy in other ways very soon!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 09-18-2005, 02:10 AM

DS started walking late in his 7th month....he didn't crawl until 8 months...go figure.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:20 AM

DS took his first step at about 8 1/2 months but didn't really walk proficiently until almost 10 months. That was a hard first month of his walking. He didn't understand that if he couldn't just fling himself everywhere... hard to explain but he would just try to walk right into things, or people. He's now one and runs everywhere, climbs on everything, but is much more stable. My dad started walking at 8 months, but I didn't walk until 11. DH walked at 10.

DS didn't crawl until 6 1/2 months, but he also pulled himself up to standing on the same day he started to crawl, so he might have just been waiting to show off everything. Sounds like your DS is going to really be a gross motor skill guy!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 09-18-2005, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! There are some 7 and 8 month walkers! I was hoping that didn't happen--the earliest I know in person is a 9-month walker, but Henry is so far way ahead of what that baby was doing at the same age...It had me worried!

He is showing a budding interest in climbing (not really able to, yet, but I'm sure he'll figure it out soon enough--he's very determined!), so Ramlah, you may be right there!

Lula's Mom--thanks for posting the link, I wasn't able to see the video, but the photo of your kids is adorable.

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Old 09-18-2005, 07:34 PM

I had an early mover. Creeped around the house at 4 months, was crawling the right way by 5 months. Pulled himself up and walked along everything at 7 months. We had to get rid of furniture in the house when he was just 7 months old because he would pull up on a chair or coffee table, push it over to a counter, then climb up on the table/chair and pull up onto the counter etc. I don't remember when he officially walked but I remember it was well before a year. Not 7 or 8 months though, later than that. He is my super physical guy. Still at 3 years. He lags behind on his communication skills but is super super physical.

My 12 year old did everything physically right about average. It's funny because he was very communicative very early. By three he was so articulate, it was like talking to an adult. My three year old is almost impossible to understand unless you know him really well. His speech skills are lacking big time.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:37 PM

:LOL I'm so bummed that some people can't see it! I posted it on my December babies thread too, and some can see it, some not. I'm thinking it's a player that some computers have installed and some don't? But I don't know.

~*Kristi*~

Old 09-18-2005, 07:50 PM

My son (now 7) walked unassisted at 7 months and 2 weeks. My daughter (now 4) waited a little longer, and walked alone at just about 8 months. My son was very accident prone, doing things like falling off countertops (he would climb from the kitchen chair to the table to the island) and jumping off low cinderblock walls. He had stitches on his head by the time he was 2, and is bruised in every single picture until about 3!

It made me so mad when I told the ped. DS turned over at 2 months and they looked at me like I was mad. When they didnt believe he ws crawling at 4 months, I just put him down and let him crawl all over the office! He stood, holding on to things, when he was about 5 1/2 months. *sigh* He is not so physical anymore, although he does have the athletic build.

Words of advice from me? Bolt all the book cases to the wall, and child proof like mad!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:19 PM

I had this super chunky baby (almost 12 lbs at 2 weeks, over 20 by 3 months), I though he would never move.

He didn't roll over until almost 5 months, but was walking before 9 months.

Not as early as some here, but I still can't believe he could even move those huge thighs past each other :LOL
Old 09-18-2005, 09:18 PM

serenetabbie, I just bought those furniture brackets from One Step Ahead. But as far as childproofing everything... I don't see how! He gets up on the couch and climbs over the back! I had to put pillows back there! I know he will be just like your boy, pushing chairs to the counter etc.

We have been joking about getting him a little helmet. But the more he busts his butt climbing on stuff every day, the more we really wish we could.

~*Kristi*~

Old 09-24-2005, 11:36 AM

Well, I am not going to try to tell you not to worry :LOL

My son (and DD) used to climb behind the sofa. One day I heard a muffled cry as I was putting away the dishes. i ran into the living room and could not see DS. Here he had climbed up on the sofa back and fallen head first into a tight space between the sofa and end table (sort of on an angle from each other), and was wedged in so tight he couldnt get out! He was doing a handstand, and was unharmed, but boy was I mad! About Thanksgiving (he is a march baby) he started to run. He would run so fast his little legs would get away from him, almost like a cartoon, and he would go head over tea kettle onto the lawn/gravel/sidewalk/floor. That was the worst, the running. That's how he hurt himself the most, running and falling (rather than walking or climbing). He hit his head on every bit of furniture in our home. I seriously thought about getting him a helmet too!

But you have to admit, a tiny kid like that walking around is just so darn comical and cute!!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:52 PM

By the way, for everyone with active little ones, I have a tip:

When they get a good bump, rub on some Arnica gel as soon as possible. It will keep it from swelling into a giant egg, will prevent a bad bruise, and will heal faster.
It helped us so much when dd was little

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 09-24-2005, 02:24 PM

Sarah just started walking this week and she's almost be 10 months old on the 29th. She started crawling at 5 months and cruising by 5 and a half months. I was expecting her to do it somewhere in the 9 month old range adn she has!

Mama of three.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlah
When they get a good bump, rub on some Arnica gel as soon as possible. It will keep it from swelling into a giant egg, will prevent a bad bruise, and will heal faster.
I'll second that suggestion! We've just been travelling and DS bonked his cheek the first day we got there. He's done it before, and with arnica gel it goes away almost instantly (about a day). I'd left ours at home (silly me) and now it's 5 days and the bruise is STILL there!

DS was pulling up to stand before he could crawl, at about 6 months, but he didn't walk on his own until 11 months 4 days. So your babe *might* not be walking *that* soon. But my son was pulling up on everything that stood still long enough, so you'll likely want to bolt everything to the wall that you can.

User Tag List