Daytime sleep question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-26-2005, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a sweet little 10 week old dd and she was sleeping probably atleast 18 out of 24 hours up until about a week ago. Now she is suddenly awake for up to 10 hours straight and she sure is getting cranky! Nothing has changed around the house, her nightime sleep pattern is the same, but pratically no naps during the day! She generally sleeps from 11pm till 4-5 am then wakes to nurse and then back to sleep until 8 or so (my ds never slept like this at night, so I feel totally lucky with her). She has been doing this pratically since birth. But she was also sleeping a ton during the day, now all of the sudden she will sleep for maybe two or three 20 minute stretches during the day, and thats it! She looks tired (her little eyes get droopy), she is very fussy and just doesn't seem to be her cheerful self this past week. I've tried encouraging naps during the day by sleeping with her (we co-sleep at night wonderfully) but so far this hasnt' worked, I tried giving her space and letting her sleep alone, but this hasn't worked either. She used to sleep great in the Moby wrap, but lately that doesn't seem to do the trick! Is there anyone else who has been in this situation? I am wondering if its just a developmental phase or if maybe she has some need I am not meeting? Just kind of running out of ideas and feeling like a bad mama!! Any insight from another mama would be greatly appriciated!
#2 of 4 Old 09-26-2005, 01:51 AM

Have you tried a swaddle? DS will not stay asleep for more than 20-30 min unless he is swaddled. You may find that it helps a lot. I also remember DS not napping anywhere but in his swing for a few weeks. Do you try feeding her right when she seems drowsy? I find that some milky usually pushes DS over the edge into dreamland.

I do think that some babies just don't like to nap, and you could have one of them. I hated to nap when I was a baby, continued to hate it as a toddler/small child, and I still don't like to take naps.
#3 of 4 Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 AM

My DS was the same, slept anywhere, anytime until 4 week ago and then he stayed up during the day.

He is 10 weeks old now.

I started him on a routine and that has helped. I got a really great hint from someone about darkening the room, and it has done wonders.

Unfortunately my DS naps about 30 minutes at a time (sometimes he goes back to sleep again if I get to him fast enough and pat his bottom before he fully wakes up).
#4 of 4 Old 09-26-2005, 03:40 PM

We have had similar problem with your twins in the last week or so, not sleeping during the day, but now they have got back into the routine of having a nap. They are 11 weeks so hang in there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page