Dry Diaper in the AM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is making me nervous. DD is a little over 2 months. she has been sleeping through the night for over a month now (dunno how or why, she just does.) In fact, I wake her up in the AM because she will oversleep. She eats continuously from about 5-9 pm. then maybe once more, maybe not, and falls asleep between 9:30-10 and I get her up between 7-8:30 am.

I change her diaper before I go to sleep at about 11 or 12 and it's usually very wet/poopy. A few times now, when I've gone to change it in the am, it's been either completely dry or almost completely dry.

this scares me. how can it be okay to not pee for like 8 hrs? do I need to be waking her up to feed her during the night or earlier in the am? she has plenty of dirty dipes during the day though. (I do use sposies at night).

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#2 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 11:12 AM

Does your DD nurse when you change her diaper at night? It doesn't sound like too much of a concern that she doesn't have a wet diaper in the AM, especially if she has a very wet diaper a few hours after she nurses. If she's not nursing at night, she will definitely stay dryer (breast milk is digested in about an hour and a half, right?). As long as she's getting plenty of milk and having plenty of wet diapers during the day, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Also keep in mind that sposies often feel dryer than they are. I used them for the first month or so, and I never could tell when they were wet. I just had to change them on a schedule.
#3 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 11:16 AM

It sounds normal to me. My daughter is 7 months old and often she wakes up with a dry diaper. I think she's done this for as long as I can remember. Not sure why.

Sherra
#4 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 12:07 PM

My dd has nearly always slept through the night and been dry all night.

No worries- just a big bladder. But BOY watch out for that first pee....

-Angela
#5 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 12:19 PM

It freaked me out when my son started staying dry at about 4 months. He still has many dry nights depending on how much he eats during the night. He pees like crazy in the morning though. He can pee up to 4 times in one hour.
#6 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 PM

Same here, I was worried about it too, but asked the Dr. and she said it was a normal stage of development. She said to feel lucky that DD was doing this so early.
#7 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 12:30 PM

I have a kiddo who, thank God, sleeps through the night, too. Count your blessings regarding the dry diaper, 'cause I can tell you I'm a little sick of changing endless jammies and sheets. I finally began to order wool covers .... she's a fairly heavy wetter.
#8 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 01:11 PM

I agree with the other mamas and would not worry especially if baby is healthy and peeing/pooping all day long.
#9 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 05:16 PM

most babies, like grownups, have to wake up at least a little in order to pee/poop. if your girl is waking up dry, you might want to try buying a little potty and putting her on it before she pees upon waking--she sounds like a good candidate for EC (diaper-free)!

hazel was waking up dry at that age, and that's about when we started. there's an ec forum here, under diapering.

good luck!
*j
#10 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 PM

My baby also wakes up with a fairly dry diaper in the mornings. It's not competely dry, but definitely not even close to being full. It's been so weird for me because my oldest always has woken up with a completely SOAKED diaper! I was also kinda worried, but based on the responses, it sounds perfectly fine.

Sara Mama to DS (6) and DS (4)
#11 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 08:04 PM

LOL this happened to me just last nite,, ds (3 mos) went to sleep around 8 and then woke around one to nurse. He was totally dry.. a first. I was a little wigged out.. wondering if something was wrong with him... anyway I put a FB on him and put him back to bed when he finished nursing. He woke around 6 and then whoosh! he flooded. So I guess it's ok!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page