What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 5048 Old 08-03-2003, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new here and let me just say that I'm so glad I found this forum. It's great! The stupidest thing I think I've heard came from our then pediatrician who is not our pediatrician anymore. DD is 7 months old. She never latched on, so I've been pumping and feeding EBM from day one. At our 4 month appointment, when the pediatrician found out that that was the way she was getting her breast milk, he looked at me like I was insane. He said "ya know, the formulas they make these days are just like breast milk, you don't have to do that, your baby still needs a mother, so you don't need to waste your time with that."
WHATEVER!

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 5048 Old 08-03-2003, 12:48 PM

my husbands aunt told me to give dd chicken fat for her cough. I'm like "what the hell.........." i also got the thing about crying was good for her lungs.
#423 of 5048 Old 08-03-2003, 02:07 PM

a friend of our told us a couple of weeks ago that if I threw my 5 month old baby into the pool that he would be able to hold his breath and swim because he had been holding his breath while he was inside of me???? :
#424 of 5048 Old 08-03-2003, 09:51 PM

I can't help be amazed by people's ignorance when I read this thread - not to mention people's complete rudeness!

Quote:
Originally posted by Justice2
because he had been holding his breath while he was inside of me???? :
: This person really thinks the baby's been holding his breath inside for 9 month? - DUH!

Quote:
Originally posted by Island Mommy
This man, knowing full well I was breastfeeding, said "What are you doing to make her cry so much...feeding her substandard milk?"
You should have said, "Substandard Milk? No! - I'm not using formula. I thought you knew I breastfed."

Quote:
Originally posted by hipumpkins
. . . .is like going from skim milk to ice cream"
Wouldn't you have loved to say, "Well nutritionally speaking, you're probably right.":
#425 of 5048 Old 08-03-2003, 10:31 PM

This is something that I will never forgive my SIL for saying and something that still burns me today.

Two months before Martie was conceived I had a miscarriage. SIL said that it was God's way of telling me that I was too young to have a child (I was 26 at the time). Then she told me how horrible it is to be a mom. How hard it is to have a kid. How your life it ruined and that if I did have a child I'd regret. I wish I had something to say back to her but I was in shock. Not only did she say this once but repeated it over and over at a family bbq.

Not once have I ever regretted having my child, even at 2:00 in the morning when she was screaming her head off. I am still pissed off at SIL and was shocked to learn recently that she is pregnant by her choice. It saddens me that someone who has such an negative view of motherhood (I've even heard her call her child an a$$hole to his face when he was 2) conceive when I have so many friends who would be wonderful parents have such a hard time conceiving.
#426 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 12:00 AM

People like that should be SHOT and put us out of our misery!! Geez....I hope I never run into her. I would probably be very very mean.
#427 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't you have loved to say, "Well nutritionally speaking, you're probably right."
Yes...I wish I had all the info I have now!!

When I was pregnant and people would ask me..."Do you know what you're having?" I would answer..."I am pretty sure it is a baby but my husband is rooting for a puppy"

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#428 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Just the other day I went to Wal-Mart and put my baby in his infant car seat over the seat part of the cart since he was sleeping too soundly for me to want to put him in his sling. I was shopping and minding my own business when some woman stopped me and asked if the seat was secure up there. I really wanted to say, "Nope, sometimes he just bounces right off," but I was polite and showed her that there's a safety catch to prevent it from ever falling.
I just ran across that and it made laugh out loud!!

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#429 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 05:01 AM

Quote:
a friend of our told us a couple of weeks ago that if I threw my 5 month old baby into the pool that he would be able to hold his breath and swim because he had been holding his breath while he was inside of me????
My mom tried to get me to let my 9mo go underwater too! She said that babies naturally know to hold their breath. "Haven't you heard of water babies? Babies can swim!" Sure mom. Does that make it any les terrifiying when you can't breathe and can't change the situation? I've decided she won't be taking any of my kids swimming without me. Water Babies is a brand of sunblock, and I'm happy to keep it that way.
#430 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 05:35 AM

Babies really do have an instinct to hold their breath. They instinctively do know how to swim. I would recommend you read We Are All Water Babies By Michel Odent. It is an awesome book and talks about how to gently teach your child to swim using the instincts they already have. While you should NEVER throw a baby in the pool, they really are water babies.

Lauren
eta: My 8 m/o dd goes underwater in the pool and the tub and has been holding her breath underwater since before 3 months old. When I was a baby my mom did swimming classes with me where at 6 months I was totally submerged w/o major trauma. There are gentle ways to be with your child in the water and swimming is an enjoyable exercise. My dd loves it. She has had moments where she was afraid, but we were always present with her. They were not intrinsic to the learning to swim process, they were b/c of things like splashes and fast movements. Dunking and having water on her face are fun things for my dd. Your mom may have heard about other babies who are swimming like my dd. It doesn't mean she would know how to be with her in the water though.
L
#431 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 12:35 PM

You have to start young with the underwater stuff. It does not work on an older baby. Google it.
#432 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 PM

Starting young does help, but there are swim classes for babies that don't even start until 6 months so there is still hope even for the older baby.

Once the baby is older than 3 months they lose some of their awesome underwater reflexes and instincts, but they can still learn some underwater skills, even breath holding. ( though this is sometimes considered controversial. ) There is the age old face blowing technique, but I personally think that's pretty mean.

I'll have to get my Water babies book back and see what it is Michel Odent says about older babies again.

Laralou> Did you do swimming with any of your kids? It seems like ti would be so hard to do with twins, but then again everything seems like it would be hard with twins. You are an amazing woman.
L
#433 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 06:00 PM

we just started 'swimming' classes for dd last week. (she's 21 months, and we wanted to start a long time ago, but didn't)

anyway, on day 1 the teacher wanted the parents to let kids go under water. I refused, because dd was uneasy (I just said it didnt' seem like dd was ready for that, so we'll go slower) Day 2 dd let me put her face in the water for a few seconds and then actually swam to me underwater - two feet or so, but still) She was scared when she got to me, so I didn't repeat. it. Day 3 dh went with her, and said she didn't want to go to the instructor to then swim to dh, so they let her be. Today, day 4, she 'swam' the few feet under water to dh. He said over the half hour class she started crying twice (the second time because she didn't want to leave the pool at the end ) but most of the time she was laughing and smiling.

sorry this turned out to be so long... I'm not saying just dunk your kids in the water, but there is such a thing as teaching young babies to swim.

we're getting the other end of the spectrum now, one of my co-workers was saying "oh cool, now you won't have to watch her every move at the pool or the beach, you can just relax"
: yeah, I'm going to just let me not even two year old to her own devices around water because she's been to a few lessons and can move a few feet underwater. :
#434 of 5048 Old 08-04-2003, 11:03 PM

Wow, I have so many dumb things racked up at this point, I don't know where to begin.
Here's a few:
I was several months preggo, and a woman asked me where I was having my baby. I told her at home. She told me how dangerous it was, and how I or my baby could die by having a homebirth. She had watched a show on it: Just what I needed to hear when I was ready to give birth. Not that it really affected me; I thought she was incredibly rude and stupid and continued to tell her how dangerous hospital births were.
My sister, telling me that my strictly BF baby probably got really thirsty and that I should at least give him a bottle of water sometimes.: "Isn't all that breastmilk FATTENING?" Exact quote, swear to God.
About my son: "He's UNCIRCUMCISED?" "No, he is INTACT." "You know, that is so disgusting. Uncirc'd penises are gross and no one will ever want to have sex with him.":
Oh, good, I was hoping he'd become a monk or priest, anyway.
#435 of 5048 Old 08-05-2003, 07:15 PM

I just found this board and I love it! This thread is great. I think I have heard so much about dd being spoiled, that it is time to wean her, etc., but these stand out:

When I was about 8 mos pg, we were at dairy queen and the man(boy) in front of us asked me when I was due, do I told him. He turned to his pg dp and said "wow...you're as big as she is and you're not due until december....I told you you were getting fat!" I was so embarrassed and I wanted to slap him for her!

More than a few of the rude comments have come from my 15-yo sister (b/c she knows so much about being a parent!) She was disgusted when she found out I planned to bf. When I was in the hospital, 2 or 3 days after birth we were having a hard time bf and a nurse I had never met came in to "help". I was trying to tell her that something was wrong, that we had done better the day before, but she dismissed my concerns and proceeded to shove my breast into dd's mouth. I was more than a little snippy with her, and my sister actually yelled at me b/c I "didn't have to be so rude to the nurse" I was just frustrated b/c she wasn't listening to me. It turned out my milk had come in and I was engorged, making it hard for the baby to latch on. When they finally brought me a breast pump (several hours later, after many requests), Delia latched on and nursed like a champ. Anyway, my mother defended my sister and still talks about how "hormonal" I was!

Shannon, Single Mama to Delia 9/19/02 : and Mark 5/26/05 :
#436 of 5048 Old 08-06-2003, 12:07 AM

my ds3 used to push away from me when I started taking him into the pool at 4mo. He LOVED going under water and swimming around. It was actually really difficult to keep him in my arms, and after a few confrontations with the lifeguards at the Y they finally stopped bugging me about it and realized he was doing it on his own, I wasn't forcing the issue!

Swimming lessons are SO SO important for kids. I start mine in the water by age 6mo at the latest and the two oldest (9yo and 5yo) can swim without floaties and my 3yo is almost ready to go without now. Of course, this doesn't mean I would just let them loose without my supervision, but it does make my life a whole lot easier knowing they have those skills. we never have to turn down pool parties and swimming has become their favorite past time. I really feel sorry for kids who are 6 or 7 and can't swim

BUT you should NEVER just throw a kid/baby in the pool. That's just asinine :
#437 of 5048 Old 08-06-2003, 12:43 AM

Quote:
BUT you should NEVER just throw a kid/baby in the pool. That's just asinine
ITA

Good job teaching your kis to swim!
L
#438 of 5048 Old 08-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Banned

Hi all,

Just been lurking for a few days but can I say to anyone who is worrying about circ'ing / what other people say that in England it is in fact not the norm to be circ'ed and (although married now) have NEVER EVER SEEN a circed penis and I have had quite a few boyfriends!

The ONLY reason I am aware of that ppl would circ is if they were Jewish. (I think that's the only religion that instructs it but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

There really are some strange ppl if they think it is normal to chop a mans bits off......

Just wanted to let you all know that, you are in no way abnormal for leaving your little ones intact! I couldn't imagine doing that to a kid!

Lil

PS no kids yet, hopt to start ttc next year, fingers crossed!!!
#439 of 5048 Old 08-06-2003, 11:48 AM

A lady in the grocery store yesterday had the nerve to ask me if I regretted having so many kids. (I ONLY have 3-for now anyway). I just looked at her like she was crazy, and said no, but I should have said "Yep, I was just thinking about which one I should get rid of" : :
#440 of 5048 Old 08-06-2003, 02:42 PM

Last summer I was VERY pregnant and we were at the local ice cream place and there was a mom with 2 girls, one about 10 years old and the other about 13 months old. She asked when I was due and I told her October, she looked at me and said "Enjoy being childless while you can, being a mom is hard, REALLY hard." She said this in front of BOTH children, acting as if she completely resented them. I looked at her and said "Well, we went through fertility treatments to get our baby so we feel very blessed."

Why in the world to moms think its their place to tell preggos how hard motherhood is and make it sound like its so awful? I mean, it has its rough spots but its still the BEST "job" I've ever had.
#441 of 5048 Old 08-06-2003, 02:59 PM

Quote:
This man, knowing full well I was breastfeeding, said "What are you doing to make her cry so much...feeding her substandard milk?"

My initial response when I read that remark was, "Who the f*ck are you, the USDA?" - and I'm Canadian :LOL

I've never breastfed (no kids yet!) so I don't know what I would say, I can only imagine. But I have what's known as a "smart mouth" and I probably would have said something along the lines of, "No, she suffers from Idiot Intolerance, and you seem to have triggered a reaction."
#442 of 5048 Old 08-06-2003, 10:38 PM

Quote:
"No, she suffers from Idiot Intolerance, and you seem to have triggered a reaction."

bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

*snort*
#443 of 5048 Old 08-07-2003, 03:54 AM

A friend of my sister's was telling me about all of the foods her 2 1/2 month, yes month old eats. She was very proud of the fact he had been eating all of this stuff and then she said he won't eat popsicles though.

I said maybe it was too sugary for him and cold, I really wanted to tell her he shouldn't be eating anything now besides her milk. She is breastfeeding though, which is good.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#444 of 5048 Old 08-07-2003, 06:44 PM

This thread is too funny!

A couple of my own:
-- When I was 38 weeks pg, my (normally supportive) mom told me "you know, there's a weight watchers just for bfing moms"... I told her since I wasn't overweight when I got knocked up, I'd probably wait and see before I joined up.

-- As an avid garage saler, I've been asked repeatedly this summer if my newborn is for sale. "How much for the baby?" I know they're joking, but it kind of creeps me out to have strangers offer money for my baby.
#445 of 5048 Old 09-12-2003, 02:34 PM

Quote:
-- As an avid garage saler, I've been asked repeatedly this summer if my newborn is for sale. "How much for the baby?" I know they're joking, but it kind of creeps me out to have strangers offer money for my baby.
I know, it is creepy isn't it?! Only once did it not bother me, a man at church said that... but you should have seen the look in his eyes. His 16yo son (an only child) had died in a car wreck about a year before and you could just see the sadness in his eyes.

I mainly get comments about when am I going to start solids. Everyone knows I'll breastfeed until he quits (dd weaned herself at 20 months, I was 2mo preggo) and that we co-sleep and don't own a crib, blah blah. I just tell people, "Look at him, does he look like he needs solids?!". He was 7lb 7oz at birth and 15lb at 4mo. Big, chunky guy. I'd say he doesn't need solids... the pure cream I'm feeding him is doing the trick!

I can't believe some of the asinine things people have said to you all!

About the most annoying thing of all I think is moms who have never breastfed giving bf advice (usually not correct either ) and people who have never had children giving parenting advice.
#446 of 5048 Old 09-16-2003, 01:02 PM

I just HAVE to vent this, although it's not technically related to parenting. Anyone who knows about homeopathy will understad my being annoyed at this:

Parent: I can't stand the Hyland's teething tablets, they don't work now amtter how much you give them. In fact, it ended up giving my son dhiarrea because they're made out of milk and my son was just an infant and had never had cow's milk before.

Other Parent: Oh I know! I took the bottle to my baby's appointment with the pediatrician and showed it to him. When he saw the ingredients on the side he couldn't believe people would give this to their child because some of the ingredients can actually be poisonous!!

Me (thinking):: :
#447 of 5048 Old 09-16-2003, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunmountain
my ds3 used to push away from me when I started taking him into the pool at 4mo. He LOVED going under water and swimming around. It was actually really difficult to keep him in my arms, and after a few confrontations with the lifeguards at the Y they finally stopped bugging me about it and realized he was doing it on his own, I wasn't forcing the issue!

Swimming lessons are SO SO important for kids. I start mine in the water by age 6mo at the latest and the two oldest (9yo and 5yo) can swim without floaties and my 3yo is almost ready to go without now. Of course, this doesn't mean I would just let them loose without my supervision, but it does make my life a whole lot easier knowing they have those skills. we never have to turn down pool parties and swimming has become their favorite past time. I really feel sorry for kids who are 6 or 7 and can't swim

BUT you should NEVER just throw a kid/baby in the pool. That's just asinine :
I completely agree!!! My son had never been around a body of water...this had been his first time and this woman wanted me to simply toss him on in! She kept saying that with her daughter (who is my friend) she just threw her into the lake when she was about 3 months old and my friend supposedly swam right back to her. I am somehow thinking that this story was a bit embellished upon.
#448 of 5048 Old 09-16-2003, 07:17 PM

I had a neighbor who told me that a pediatrician who has 8 children of her own told her that "when children 'throw fits', dump ice cold water on them". I did a face that looked somewhat like and she laughed about my reaction to her husband, with me standing right there with them.

The same woman had moved to a America from another country a while back, and was always saying how Americans are way too soft on their children. One time she was trying to illustrate this and said in a mocking voice "Americans are always like 'oh, I love you' to their children". :
#449 of 5048 Old 09-16-2003, 07:23 PM

Quote:
One time she was trying to illustrate this and said in a mocking voice "Americans are always like 'oh, I love you' to their children".
Um..yeah. I do!! What am I supposed to tell my children. NO!! I DO NOT LIKE YOU!!
#450 of 5048 Old 09-17-2003, 10:33 AM

I posted this on another forum...but then realized that it fits so perfectly here. I am trying to relactate for my ds. We are going strong, but in the process he turned 5 months old and began showing a stong interest in solid foods (grabbing my fork, opening his mouth whenever I would put food into mine, ect..) so I started him on solids. Well, after about a month I noticed that he was so very constipated that it hurt me to watch him try to have a bm. Well, I told my mother (my first mistake) and she said "You need to take him off the breastmilk...that is what is causing his constipation" :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page