What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 5048 Old 05-25-2004, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Quote:
She'll also say something stupid to DD, like "Do you want some chocolate/candy/crack?"

CRACK!! I love it!!

(No, I don't mean I love crack, just... well... forget it)"

:LOL :
You're funny! haha
#542 of 5048 Old 05-25-2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
I had a friend who did the "I couldn't BF because I had no milk - just a few drops " (duh - thats all that is supposed to be there). And then go on to complain because her Dr. wouldn't give her the shot to dry up. : I just wanted to stand up and scream. Some people just don't get it.

The dumbest thing I have ever heard is one of the nurses in the NICU when dd#1 was born told me I wuld know she was latched on right when it hurt.

This has happened to me as well. I get it a lot. Why do they do the "I didn't have any milk" thing?? I now say "really? where you diagnosed with that? because that can't actually happen! This lady from work said her milk never came in and (from what she said) her doctor (yes, a supposedly educated person) told her that this happens "all the time". She said she didn't even try to bf her second one because she has "my-milk-doesn't-come-in syndrome"
is this even possible?
#543 of 5048 Old 05-25-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogirl
oh goodness... some of these stories are doosies!

some stuff i've been told:

tammy, you can't nurse lying down - that's just lazy
(geesh mom!!)

my most appalling comment is: "babies just cry"

I HATE THAT... babies just don't cry in my house (well, maybe when their exhausted and can't be calmed), but otherwise - never! When Anna cries it means she needs something changed and it's our job to figure it out. I soooo hate that line!
I HATE THAT TOO! Babies don't just cry. Just like you, not in my house. Some people can't believe my kids don't cry... I meet all their needs, why would they? I hate it when people say that!

Also, I hate it when people ask me if Vincent is "a good baby". I always say "there are no "bad" babies" do you really believe that?
#544 of 5048 Old 05-25-2004, 02:42 PM

GOOD goddess these are so crazy to read....but wow I dont have time to tell you all my crazy mainstream inlaws ideas on parenting...there aer so many we have not seen or talked to them in over a year because they are so scary but one of my faves was my hibbies brother who has a daughter 1 year older thatn our babe and in the middle of a batttle about us not wanting to be around them and that we didnt want our daughter to see Lexi get hit he said" raising kids is like training a dog".... ....I asked him if she has a accident do you rub her nose in it....we dont get along AT ALL..Ill think of more soon Im sure it wont take long
#545 of 5048 Old 05-25-2004, 02:44 PM

My cousin said her milk never came in. She was heartbroken about it because she really wanted to nurse her baby and just feels awful, she tried and tried, but could not get anything.
#546 of 5048 Old 05-25-2004, 09:00 PM

Quote:
"Do you want some chocolate/candy/crack?"
you mean she's offering your baby CRACK????
I'd be concerned too!
#547 of 5048 Old 05-25-2004, 10:08 PM

No, of course she's not offering my DD crack! :LOL Just being silly.
#548 of 5048 Old 05-25-2004, 10:57 PM

My Gmil upon hearing how chunky our 4/5 month old breastfed baby was, "Your milk is too rich, he needs to be on a skim milk and veggie diet..." Umm yeah, right....
#549 of 5048 Old 05-26-2004, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooh, yeah, put the babe on skim milk so she can have poor brain/neurological development, among other things.

I've gotten several new ones, the biggest probably being that someone called the cops on me when I was walking down the street w/ DD on my back in the Kozy Carrier, asleep. A patrolman pulled over, got out and approached me, and explained why he'd stopped.
Then he commented that he could see that the baby was fine, and had sunscreen on her head even (it was hot and sunny and her hat was dirty). I had him pull the top edge of the Kozy up around her head a bit and continued on my way to the park.

How could someone going down the road at 45mph reasonably decide there's something wrong w/ my baby and that I, who can feel her breathing because she's up against my body, wouldn't notice?

I've gotten a few other negative comments about babywearing, but that one really takes the cake.

I did have a funny comment from a bus driver, though. I had DD on my back, and our library bag and the diaper bag over one shoulder. As I was standing at the front of the bus waiting to get off (and holding on to the railing) he said,

"I'd say you have your hands full, but you don't!"

I know he sees people struggle on and off the bus w/ strollers and babes in arms every day, as I do every other time I ride the bus. I feel sorry for them, usually.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#550 of 5048 Old 05-26-2004, 06:17 PM

I had a very normal pregnancy and never had an ultrasound because I didn't need one, but you know...everyone in every store I went into asked me "do you know what it's going to be?"

My usual answer was "Well, we Think it's going to be a baby"
(like, as opposed to puppies or something)

That usually got them pretty flustered, one woman got kinda upset that I had been so bold!

HaHa!
#551 of 5048 Old 05-26-2004, 10:35 PM

My pregnancy was, and offspring are, a call to all the brilliant people to come out of the cracks and make comments, so I tried responding the best I could, with sarcasm dripping:

"Twins! I feel SO sorry for you, I could never do it, glad it's not me!"

I'm also very glad it's not you, buh-bye.

"Why would you bother to nurse twins? Bottles are easier"

I have two breasts, why not?

"You must be doing the fertility drug thing"

No, just crack.

"That's gonna be a lot of POOP!"

(blank stare)

"Did you do In-vitro?"

No, why? Are you having trouble conceiving?

"How do you tell them apart?"

The tattoos on the rears

"Are the identical/fraternal/paternal/maternal/schizzlemynizzle?"

Are you asking the sex?

"Which one is easier?"

To do what with?

and the all time winner for twins mamas!

"ARE THEY TWINS?"

no, it's your eyesight.

oh, the gods help me....

Maya
#552 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 05:04 AM

"Are the identical/fraternal/paternal/maternal/schizzlemynizzle?"

Lol! I love the schizzlemynizzle!

My fave so far would be asking my mil if she thought that my sil (who's due in Spetember) would use a sling if we bought one for her. I finally got my Kozy carrier and absolutely love it, so I was thinking she may like one too. My mil said she never used one with her first ds (who is 13 now) because they *didn't have them back then* so she didn't think she would this time either. : Funny, Dh's bestfriend's mom said she had used them with both her children who are dh and his sister's age!

When ds was born dh carried him around in a sling because we didn't like the idea of carrying him around in the carseat like our friend's had done. We so couldn't see the point of not wanting to hold your baby. We ran into our friends in the store and our friend goes over to dh to tell him he looks funny carrying ds around "like that". I wasn't carrying him because I had a C-section and wasn't allowed to carry more than 10 pounds. Ds was 10 pounds 2 ounces at birth! That and Dh loves carrying ds around, so why not let him?

I don't get why if someone doesn't like something for themselves, why pick on other people for deciding it's for them?
#553 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 09:42 AM

Have also gotten the "does she sleep through the night?" and "is she a good baby?" Ugh. Now I just say "why do you ask?" Most people can't think of an answer... I guess they're just making conversation.

As for co-sleeping: "You'll never get her out of your bed!" and "Aren't you afraid you'll roll over on her?"

Babywearing... forget it. "Why don't you put her down once in a while?" (To Jordan: ) "You want to be in your bouncy chair! Tell mommy you want to be in the bouncy chair! This sling is too cramped!"

My mom was the worst though. BFing was going to "tie me down" and "isolate me." My breast pump is "the dairy cow equipment" (yes, complete with mooing sounds) "How will she grow on just your milk?"

(note that DD was 6lbs 9oz and hit 12 lbs before the 2 month mark! talk about high-octane stuff... )

The pregnancy questions were the best though... "Oh a honeymoon baby! Was it an accident?"

GAH! None of your business! (and for the record no... we were just really lucky on the first try )
#554 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 06:13 PM

I seriously just read this whole thread and cracked up the whole time. I think it's taken me about 4 days to read it.

My FIL (visiting when ds (second baby) was one day old): so is he on a schedule yet? uuummmmm, yeah, it mostly involves sleeping, nursing, and pooping all day long. I think my actual response was a blank look.

We didn't get a crib until I was about 8 months pg with dd and dh's g'ma asked us all the time where the baby would sleep. We told her with us and her face was priceless. Then we got the crib and she stopped asking until she came over once and there were clothes in it (it's really more of a 200 dollar clothes bin, really good use of money, huh?). Then she asked us if we clear all the clothes out every time we "put her down." ummm, no.

I get the squished baby in the sling thing too.

AND the "good baby" thing. I hate it. I say "all babies are good babies." Last time I was asked that was a few weeks ago by dh's aunt. Wehn I gave her my answer, she said, "I know, aren't babies great, I just love them." I still wasn't clear on what she wanted to know exactly.

Dd nursed until I was about 5 months pg with ds, she was about 2 1/2. By that time, I had heard so many of the dumb nursing comments and survived, they really quit talking to me about it. Does anyone have a really good comeback for the "if they can ask for it, they're too old for it" comment? That was the only one I didn't have something snappy that put people in their place, other than it being stupid logic.

What a great thread.

R~mama to 3

#555 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds
My MIL said that by nursing my ds I was going to turn him into a homosexual.
Have they ever considered that the human race would never have survived one generation if that were true?
:LOL
#556 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:

"How do you tell them apart?"

The tattoos on the rears

:

My younger sisters are (identical) twins. We heard 'em all. When asked if they were twins, my dad used to say, "No, they're six months apart." Confused the heck out of most people dim enough to ask the question.

When I see twins, I never say, "Are they twins?" I always go, "Ooh, twins!" as a statement, not a question. And if they have an older sib I always give him/her a spot of attention, because I never liked it when I was overlooked while others gawked over the twins.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#557 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 08:58 PM

Quote:
anyone have a really good comeback for the "if they can ask for it, they're too old for it" comment?
I've heard this one too. I guess I'm kinda lucky in a way since DS hasn't started using words yet (20mo). I guess people think they should punish a child for learning new skills - these are the same people who don't recognize that by nuzzling, rooting, crying, sucking on fists, and so forth, a baby *is* asking to nurse. Just because a child can't speak, doesn't mean s/he can't communicate. DS pats my chest to tell me he wants to nurse; he knocks on the door to tell me he wants to go outside to play; he hugs and kisses me to tell me he loves me.
#558 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 09:30 PM

I'm only on #73, and not only are these posts funny, but some are sad. I actually can believe the ignorance of some people. I've heard a lot of these comments. When I respond with acutal, logical and truthful replies, I get looked at like I've got 3 heads! I hear all the time "is he sleeping through the nigh?" Does it matter?! It's not like the questioner's sleep is affected if he isn't. We cosleep and BF, and it's now just so much easier to say "Yep!" Also, we've heard the "Is he a good baby?" Um, acutally, no (sarcasm). He's alsways stealing from my purse, bringing girls home and smokin' behind the garage. Ugh, what else could he be, but good? My stepmother who KNOWS-IT-ALL, told me when DS was a newborn, that BF snacks aren't good, that he should empty a breast, and then I should feed him 4 hrs sooner, no earlier, as he was over 10lbs. Like that was a magical number.
I get so sick of it...
#559 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 PM

Sometimes I wonder what rock people have crawled out of! These posts are too funny!

When I was pg, I was working as a home health nurse. I went to see a pt one day that I had never seen before. She asked "Are you pregnant?" Me: "Yes ma'am." Her "and they let you be a nurse?!" Me: "Well, yes, and I can honestly say no one has ever asked me that before." All the while I was wracking my brain trying to remember if I took a vow of celibacy in nursing school!
#560 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 10:54 PM

"My younger sisters are (identical) twins. We heard 'em all. When asked if they were twins, my dad used to say, "No, they're six months apart." Confused the heck out of most people dim enough to ask the question." - posted by Ravin

I was asked last week if my two year old and four year old were twins!!! :LOL

I got all the typical faves, although by far my favorite came from my own sister: "I don't know, nursing a two year old is just weird. I think that most women do it for their own pleasure." Um, yeah. Lemme tell ya just how pleasurable it is...
#561 of 5048 Old 05-27-2004, 11:18 PM

Oh, I forgot one, but it's actually my DH's:

Whille shopping at the mall, I was in a store trying on some clothes. DH was waiting on a bench, holding DS who was 6wks old at the time. The woman, who was sitting next to DH said "He's such a beautiful baby...Is he yours?"
DH answered "I hope so!" Was she questioning my fidelity or my DH's appearance? Lol, what a twit!
#562 of 5048 Old 05-28-2004, 12:00 AM

once when i was pregnant, about 8 months along, i rode along with dh when he needed a physical for a new job. as i sat in the waiting room, trying to mind my own business, this woman kept talking to me, telling me all sorts of weird stuff, the weirdest being "oh, you look like you're at that point where the baby is about to start taking the fat off of your legs and eating it"

ahhhhh! what??!?!?! :

when dd was about 3 months old, she loved to stand up as i held on to her hands (she's always been really physical)-we were meeting with a new ped. one day, and i was holding onto to dd's hands letting her stand on the table when she entered the room. she gasped out something about how she prayed i was supported dd's legs, because the hip sockets are like putty at her age, and she will be so bowlegged she won't be able to walk i assured her that she was fine, that i'd never heard of such..same visit she also told me i should begin letting her "fuss" at night when she was hungry or she would never understand the difference between night and day. :

another time, a lady at the bank asked me if dd could breathe in the sling (she was about 5 months old, sitting kangaroo style at the time, and she could see her!) i started to say, um no, she's suffocating as we speak?!?!?

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#563 of 5048 Old 05-28-2004, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
This has happened to me as well. I get it a lot. Why do they do the "I didn't have any milk" thing?? I now say "really? where you diagnosed with that? because that can't actually happen! This lady from work said her milk never came in and (from what she said) her doctor (yes, a supposedly educated person) told her that this happens "all the time". She said she didn't even try to bf her second one because she has "my-milk-doesn't-come-in syndrome"
is this even possible?
Yes it is possible. My milk never "came in" as in I never had a point where my milk appeared. I have an incredibly low supply, and when my ds was only 10 pounds at 4 months old and looking bony I decided to supplement (and I tried everything to get my milk supply up). I *do* have milk, and only had to give Orion a few bottles a day (still nursing and supplementing now, but more solids), but I never got full breasts. So that's different from not having any milk at all, but yes, it is possible for your milk to not come in. I am heartbroken about it, and was beyond desperate to not have to use formula.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#564 of 5048 Old 05-28-2004, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLotus
One day we were in WalMart and I had a cute little red bindhi sticker on my babes 3rd eye and a very concerned woman asked me what was that thing on my babies head and if it was permanent! I sarcasticly said yes it is permanent and then horrified she wanted to know how I did it and so i told her it was a thumb tack!

:
#565 of 5048 Old 05-28-2004, 03:45 AM

I'm sure many of you got this one. I got it three times while pregnant with #4 the last three being closely spaced. I was asked, "did anyone ever tell you how you get that way?" pointing to my obviously pregnant stomach (like I don't know about BC or something... I just choose not to screw around with my body... or wait, maybe I do! LOL). I was advised by a friend that if I heard it again I should say, "Yes, and obviously we do it very well!".

When I had #4 I knew I was in labor. However, the contractions were inconsistent right up to the end. I was telling the nurse in the beginning stages (when I first got to the hospital) that as soon as I sat down it stopped but when I got up it would come on hard and heavy. She said, "Honey, if it's labor it's labor. If it's not it's not." She was implying that I was in false labor. You think after having 3 kids I don't know what true labor feels like? She ate her words when a few minutes later I was 5 cm dilated.

One night DS got out of his crib in the middle of the night, wandered to the kitchen and got a sharp knife. I woke up from the noise he was making and found him. I told my MIL and she said I needed to put a canopy over him so he can't get out! Apparently FIL had to get a canopy put over his crib so he couldn't get out b/c he would get up in the middle of the night and touch the wood burning furnace which in those days was the stove.

I could go on. I just read the first page and I'm PIMP!

Melissa S
#566 of 5048 Old 05-28-2004, 04:12 AM

I met a woman while my car was getting fixed who thought my 4 mo old dd was so cute she said she's like to take her home with her. I said, "yeah, until she gets hungry!" She said, "Oh, just give me the bottle" I said "no bottle here! feeding time would be very unpleasant for you!" She got the picture and said, "Oh, the doctors tried to get me to do that when I had my baby and I just told them they could go to hell!". She seemed pretty offended at me by now

I have acquaintances (hubby and wife) who smoked in the house all through both children's pregnancies. After they were both born premature with complications and multiple infections in NICU and complications during labor (both with epidurals and induced) the husband summed it up... "I guess she was just one of those people who wasn't meant to have many kids" (for some strange unknown reason she always has problems with pregnancy and labor). You got that right! I want to take those kids home to my nice smoke free environment and give them all my BM they never got, lol.
#567 of 5048 Old 05-28-2004, 05:23 AM

Some of the other posts made me think of this (I'm not even halfway through, this is such a good thread). I was looking at some of my keepsakes and found my mom's The Canadian Mother and Child 1975, printed the year I was born as the ultimate guide to mothering a newborn. I was just thumbing through it and found this advice: "don't feel bad about leaving the baby for long periods with a babysitter right away as you need times to be away from the baby. A baby this age does not know the difference between a babysitter and the mother yet anyway and is unable to feel your love for him" ...and this coming from the experts of the day! No wonder our parent's have screwed up parenting ideas!

Melissa S
#568 of 5048 Old 05-28-2004, 12:51 PM

My dh heard this just the other day. He is remodeling a seriously molded and rotted bathroom. When he came into the home, it reeked of cigarette smoke, he saw they had a baby and of course felt sad for it. When he had done a little demo, they wanted to have a look and the wife says, "here, hold the baby, I don't want him near the mold". : Like the mold is going to be your biggest worry.....

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#569 of 5048 Old 05-28-2004, 08:19 PM

DD's one ped said to let her cry it out.
We don't see him anymore.
#570 of 5048 Old 05-29-2004, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansmommy
The pregnancy questions were the best though... "Oh a honeymoon baby! Was it an accident?"
Ughh! I would have said, "No, but talking to you sure was!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page