What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2002, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shame on DaryLLL - I peed a little bit when I read your twin stories!

I am just laughing so hard right now (but, I *have* taken a bathroom break!).

Two people in my office have asked me whether this pregnancy was planned. Charming. And I love when they ask me (just like this): "you're not going to do it all-naturally, are you?" No, we are planning an unnatural birth. : What does that even *mean*?

And I was going to remark that if I had seen veganmamma bfing at church on Christmas, I would have thought, "Oh! How wonderful and appropriate!"

And, my favorite: "Cloth diapers?! Aren't those unsanitary?"

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2002, 08:38 PM

"What do you think Jesus ate?"

I love it veganmama! Great comeback! Hope you get to use it soon!
Old 12-27-2002, 09:56 PM

Well, I get a lot of the same ones as many of you, and I like to answer in as much detail as possible. Hey, if they're gonna ask for details, I'll give 'em more than they want to know!

1) does she sleep through the night?

I answer the same way one of you described earlier in the thread...I say, "well, no, but we co-sleep, so I never have to get out of bed at night...she is able to latch herself right on and I fall back asleep...it's wonderful...blah blah blah"

This often leads to...

2) oh, so you're still nursing? (dd is 5 mos.)

Me - "Absolutely! And I've got a freezer full of breastmilk if you know anyone who's interested...see, I work full time and I pump, and my daughter is a reverse cycler, which means she only takes a few ounces while I'm gone...so every day, I bring home about 20 oz. but she only takes about 6 oz....so I have a bunch in my freezer. I donate it to adoptive moms!"

Which sometimes leads to...

3) Ewwww...you mean other babies can drink your milk?

Me - "Sure - it's *much* better than formula!"

Which usually ends with...

4) Well, I (or my wife) couldn't breastfeed because [insert reason here].

I also enjoy the comments I get from childless male coworkers:

1) One guy told me that two of the "advantages" of FF'ing (his sister had a baby just after me and never attempted BF'ing) were that his sister knew exactly how many ounces her dd was getting to eat and that she and her dh were able to leave the baby to go out starting when she was a week old. :

2) When I was pregnant, same guy (I really like this guy and we're pretty good friends...I just blame a lot of his comments on being childless and clueless, and I try to educate him!) gave me a 5 minute lecture on how I should get an episiotomy because it would heal much better and make my postpartum sex life better.

And from male coworkers who have kids:

1) When I mentioned that we would be cosleeping (when someone asked), "boy, you are setting yourself up for a life of misery." Oh yes, it is just MISERABLE sleeping cuddled up with my husband and baby!!!

2) "I can't believe you are having your baby in a birthing center. The baby can turn breech while you're on the way to the hospital. That's why lots of women have to have c-sections."

3) Same guy - "My wife had one baby natural (I think he meant vaginally) and one by c-section...she said the c-section was much easier to recover from...that is the way to go."

:
Old 12-27-2002, 10:00 PM

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot...

This weekend, at a family gathering, dh's aunt was telling us that we need to pierce dd's ears now (5 mos.) instead of "waiting"...her daughter "waited" until her baby was a year old, and she didn't like it at all. She said that the reason we should do it now is because when babies are young, they don't know pain, because the birthing process is so painful for them, but that by the time they are a year old, they know what pain is and the piercing hurts. Oh, and she said they had to get it done because everyone thought the baby was a boy. : : :

I just held my tongue (for once).
Old 12-27-2002, 10:30 PM

My inlaws have a way of only saying stupid stuff to DH when I'm not present. So he comes home and tells me that we need to get rid of the cats because they would smother the baby. There were so many others, I guess I did a good job of not letting them get to me 'cause I can't remember now! Oh, yeah -- we need to start her on solids so she can learn to chew! She's toothless! And just the other day my FIL told me that water is good for a baby (his two were FF so what does he know). I tried to explain to him that nothing beats breastmilk, but I'm not sure he got it. This is the man who wanted to give her CAKE at two weeks old!

---------------------------
Teresa
Old 12-28-2002, 12:22 AM

My son's dad told me to give him cheese for diahrea!!! What an idiot!!!! Can anyone say GAS!!
Old 12-28-2002, 12:59 AM

my grandma says the same thing. i guess if you want to keep having diarrhea... :
Old 12-28-2002, 01:08 AM

I can't believe that MysticHealerMom! Where did that ever come from?? My doctor said that was the worst thing ever because you will bloat up with gas and dehydrate even worse! That would be sooo painful!

I only use pedialyte for my kids, but you can mix up something with salt and water if you know the right ratio. Ginger ale isn't too bad, or sports drinks too, but no milk products!! Just plain juice can make it worse too, I tried that once, and almost died from the pain!

Another dumb thing people tell me is not to pick up my kid right away when she cries. She's only 4 mos old! Screw em! She's NOT spoiled! You can't spoil a baby that small! They need to know that they can trust you, count on you and feel loved at this age!
Old 12-28-2002, 06:40 AM

oops.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:06 AM

Ah, the holidays! So many, many stupid remarks! S many perfect comebacks that you only think of later!

Uncle J.: you sleep with the baby? Aren't you afraid of rolling over on her?
Me: No.
Wish I'd said: Considering the thousands of babies that die in cribs in the US every year, shouldn't I be MORE afraid of putting her in a crib?

Grandma: (Holding baby who is whining because she is going through separation anxiety) It's okay for her to cry.
Me: (taking baby back) I'll remember that when you're in a nursing home and are hungry or scared or lonely. It's okay for you to cry!
(maybe a little too harsh, my grandma is really a loving person but just has this bizarre notion that it's okay to let a baby cry when you could just s easily give her what she needs.)

MIL: Maybe when you start giving her solids she'll start putting on weight faster.
Me: No food we can give her has more calories and nutrients than breastmilk.

Aunt M: My grandchildren that were formula fed all gained weight so much better than the breastfed ones.
Me: Yes, breastfed babies are leaner.
Wish I'd said: What's so great about being overweight? OR: Yes, formula grows 'em bigger, but breastmilk grows 'em smarter.

Uncle B: Tell Steve (single BIL) he can get up with the baby tonight.
Me: He wouldn't be much use to her. (meaning because he has no breasts.)
Wish I'd said: That's the beauty of breastfeeding and cosleeping, NONE of us gets up at night.

MIL: Can I give her a biscotti to teeth on?
(She was serious!!!)
Me: No, I don't want to give her any sugar.
Thought to myself but didn't say in order to keep the peace: Are you a COMPLETE idiot?? First of all, she hasn't started on solids at all and you know you are supposed to start one food at a time with a week between, and biscotti have like fifteen ingredients. And you know we are only going to give her vegan food. And the main ingredient is wheat which should be introduced late because it's so often an allergen. AND what kind of moron would give sugar to a six-month-old?

Upon seeing me bf for the second time in one hour...
MIL: Oh, is she having ANOTHER snack?
Aunt M: Tht's what I didn't like about bfing mine. They eat just enough so they aren't hungry and can fall asleep, then they need to eat again before long.
MIL: I'm glad I didn't nurse, it has it's good points but...
Me: Oh, I don't mind, feeding her is usually a welcome mental break from trying to keep her entertained all day long.
Could've said: Hello? I'm sitting here with my feet up watching the game with my uncles and this is supposed to be a bad thing? -or- She always tanks up before bed then sleeps seven hours straight. (okay so it's actually five or six but these people are hung up on sleeping through the night) -or- Isn't that EXACTLY how all the experts tell us to eat? No large meals, just frequent small ones, and eat slowly and just until you aren't hungry, never full or stuffed? -or- I'm so glad I'm giving my baby the best AND nursing releases the same hormones in me that are released with orgasm. (Surely THAT would shut them up!) -or- Yeah, not that I find bfing inconvenient, but God Forbid taking care of a baby should inconvenience you!

WELL! I could go on but it looks as though I already have!
On the bright side, I nursed (very discreetly) with others in the room and didn't get a single comment at all! (sometimes I did nurse in the other room just for the quiet but let them think I was being "modest." Then DH joins me saying he'll "keep me company", and proceeds to channel-surf and fart! thanks hon.)

Veganmama, LOVED the what do you think Jesus ate comment. I so wish you could go back and re-do that moment!

I am so glad we have this forum, it's saving my sanity.

Jen
Old 12-28-2002, 12:47 PM
Banned

My Millie as only a few weeks old. It had been a couple hours since her last feed and I could tell she was getting hungry. My mother in law was holding her, so I said several times "I'm gonna need to go feed her soon." Finally when she began crying (and I let down and began leaking), I reached for her and said "I'm gonna feed her now." My mother in law held on to her and replied "Make her work for it dear." I said "Um, no." and grabbed my hungry daughter. Geez.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:37 PM

This thread is hysterical!

First funny: When I was pregnant, I reached up for something at work, and my receptionist (who was TTC her 4th then) said, "Oh, no, don't lift your arms up over your head! You'll strangle the baby!" I HONESTLY thought she was kidding, and I just laughed and laughed and LAUGHED. Then I saw the look on her face and realized she was serious! She's really very nice, but EXTREMELY uneducated. After a lengthy discussion of anatomy, she said, "well, I think I still won't when I'm pregnant, just out of habit."

I was like, okay, but you haven't been pregnant for 13 YEARS, you probably aren't in the habit now!

Second funny: LONG before I was married or even considering kids, when I quit eating meat, my cousin and aunt both told me that I would have to eat meat when I got pregnant, and I would have to feed my kid meat, or else my child would be retarded!

Third (didn't happen to me, but SO FUNNY) - A former co-worker, after 5 years of TTC, got IVF and got pg with tripets. Perfect strangers kept asking if she had gotten fertility treatment. Feeling that was none of their business, she always answered,
"No, we just had sex three times that night!"
Old 12-29-2002, 11:55 AM

Somebody actually told me that I would have to watch out or my cats would suck my baby's breath. I wish I'd had any kind of a comeback, but I was so flabbergasted that anyone actually thought that that I just made this face:

Also, my stepson told me that if I didn't let her cry, her lungs wouldn't expand. He's only 13, and clearly heard this from his mother (who has five other kids). I am very careful about speaking kindly about his mom to him, so I wanted to be thoughtful about how I went about telling him what a load of hogwash that is. I very gently said that people used to believe that, but that research shows that it isn't true, and babies cry for the same reasons the rest of us cry. I also asked him to think about how he feels when he cries, and what it would be like if nobody helped him. Now on the rare occasion that Abigail cries, Corbin is the first to run to her.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:16 PM

My aunt told me the other night that stuff like Hi-C and Capri Sun are actually BETTER for kids than real fruit juice because they are vitamin fortified.

Corn syrup and water with artificial colors and flavors is BETTER than real fruit juice!?!?! :
Old 12-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Banned

My mother told me the "best" thing I could give my dd while she's teething is Popsicles!!! The best thing? She's never had anything but breastmilk, and I should give her Popsicles?
Old 12-29-2002, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Orginally posted by thepeanutone
"Oh, no, don't lift your arms up over your head! You'll strangle the baby!"
I just can't stop thinking about this comment. How does this woman style her hair during her pregnancy?

Let us know if she is successful TTC is her hair gets messier

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Old 12-29-2002, 06:13 PM

RE: The arms over the head thing -

My grandma said the same thing to me when I was pregnant with Lily. I would give her a hard time about it and would dance around her waving my arms over my head. When Lily was born, her cord just happened to be wrapped pretty tightly around her neck twice!

We got a big, "I told you so!" from my Grandma. Errrgh. What do you say to that? To her, it wasn't just a coincidence. I caused it by raising my arms over my head! :

Well, at least she knows I was right when I told her that the cat wouldn't try to kill the baby. It's going to take another pregnancy of dancing around to convince her that *I* didn't get Lily wrapped up with her cord!
Old 12-29-2002, 10:13 PM

Quote:
My aunt told me the other night that stuff like Hi-C and Capri Sun are actually BETTER for kids than real fruit juice

That IS the dumbest thing I've ever heard about food!! What do people think are in apples and oranges???

I hate "sunny delight" commercials where they go on about "vitamin fortified"!!! What a load of &#*^@&#* Have you read the ingredients on there? They add oil! Ughgh!!

Doesn't anyone know about folic acid and stuff in REAL oranges and orange juice???
Old 12-29-2002, 11:51 PM

I hate the "good baby" stuff. I get that all of the time. I like the comeback someone wrote!

I get a lot of crap also for not BF. I actually had a person in the store complain to her mother how "bad" I was to be buying formula for my child and how I was so obviously doing something harmful to my child! This was infront of her 2 year old son. I was so furious. We all make our choices and we should respect other's choices.

My worst BF situation was in the hospital. My poor girl and I had been struggling to nurse. I went to the BF class with her. About half way through, she got hungry and I asked for help because we were having so many troubles. The woman leading the class told me to leave because "this isn't a place for a baby!" I left the room with my screaming daughter and I was sobbing. You would think that she would have been more understanding.

I wish getting pregnant and having a child didn't open everyone up to giving what ever advice they think I should have!
Old 12-30-2002, 01:59 AM

I can't belive a breastfeeding class instructor would ask a struggling new mommy to leave the class! I'm sorry you didn't get the support you needed.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:59 AM

Quote:
The woman leading the class told me to leave because "this isn't a place for a baby!" I left the room with my
screaming daughter and I was sobbing. You would think that she would have been more understanding.
OMIG!! I so feel for you! It is so hard to get started, and that's the support you get?? Sick!

No wonder you have to resort to whatever way to get your baby growing! It gets easier with every child to bf, so I hope you have better support after this!!

At least you didn't go for coffee mate!!! I heard a baby died in Canada here because the mom was on an isolated reserve and feeding the kid coffe mate! AUghgh!!
Old 12-30-2002, 04:44 PM

Coffee mate? EEK! Nope, I did my own research and hunted down the best formula I could. I know breast milk is better...but....

Oh- and then that woman came to my room the next day (dd was 1 day old when we were kicked out of her class) and asked if I was less hormonal!!! Grrrr....

I gave her a BAD evaluation!!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 05:14 PM

Babe is eight months and is recognizing strangers and a sometimes crys if I leave the room. Well, I usually return and tell her I'll be back or just take her with me. Partner's sister was like you starting bad habits by always returning when she crys.

I said "No I;m letting her know I am here for her."

Also, same person said I wouldn't breasfeed past three months. Well, we are and she takes a bottle with only breast milk. She says it must be a pain to pump. Not as big as the pain buying formula puts in a wallet.

Also the sleeping thing. I just lie people seem to want to hear the bab things. Babe sleeps with us like 90% of the time and SIL says Oh what a bab habit. Well, it's our "bad habit" So bug off.

MammaInTheBoonies I laughed so hard I peed myself
Old 12-30-2002, 05:41 PM

I didn't realize how many stupid things people say to you when you have a baby.

We aren't giving babe juice and BIL asks why not? I siad she doesn't need it. Water is fine and so is breast milk. HE looked at ME like I was nuts.:
Old 12-30-2002, 06:06 PM

I LOVE this thread!!

At X-mas dinner this year, I got a few doozies. First I must say that my DH family is just not up to par. My DH is the ONLY one to graduate HS. A few got their GED and only my Dh has graduated (or even attempted) collegeg. That being said...

-From the woman feeding her 3 mo jello salad " She will never grow if you don't feed her food"
--me " From 4 pounds to 18 pounds in under 8 month seems great to me"

-From same woman " cloth diapers will make her cry when she is wet"
--Me " them I know I should have changed her and I was falling down on my job"

I got in the kitchen just as my FIL was setting a slice of chocolate pie on the table for my baby.
-me " H#LL NO!!!"

This one is not so much parenting but I get it atleast once a week-"Is she mixed?" Yes my baby is bi-racial but come on. Some times I just say yes, some times I say yes, she is half wolf or boxer and she bites. That lets them know!!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 06:21 PM

Ughhh!!! Why do these moms, and your FIL??? feed babies stuff they can't even digest!!! Might as well give baby cardboard to chew down! Sheesh!! Anyone else see ppl feeding babies these things!

My MIL saw my bf baby's runny poo and told me that baby had diarhea! She suggested water or sugar water...on and on. She never bf her kids so she thinks mine is sick all the time!

I just sighed and lied that the doc said bm was all she needed for diahrea. I figured if she did have diahrea that's all I would worry about anyway. Maybe I could drink some more fluids, even a can of ginger ale, but baby doesn't have diahrea any way!

Does drooling always mean teething? My 3mo is drooling lots, and all I hear is she MUST be teething?
Old 12-30-2002, 06:28 PM

Eosine-

Around 8-10 weeks, the saliva glands start working in full force. This could be the cause of the drool.

My dd started drooling around 8 weeks and she still has no teeth.

Jello? For a 3 month old? Hello?
Old 12-30-2002, 06:32 PM

Thanks foo, she is 3 mos, and I can't feel anything with the teeth. My other two drooled lots without any teething! My own saliva glands still like to surge once in a while now too!

And jello is no good for little babies-sugar, empty calories, food coloring, etc, ahghgh!! Yeah, good things to grow on!! I give a one year old some once in a while to play with more than to eat!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:24 AM

My mother told me that she didn't believe all the hype about breastfeeding being better than formula because she didn't breastfeed my brother and I and we are perfectly healthy. I told her I know a woman who smoked through both her pregnancies and her babies are healthy - does that mean its ok to smoke when you're pregnant? Not an exact analogy, but the point was taken.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Old 12-31-2002, 04:37 AM

coming out of lurkdom to share...

I'm not a mamma yet, but i work in a retail family clothing store where we have a maternity and baby clothes section. So we always have pg/new moms and babies in the store...here are some of the things that i've heard...keep in mind that these people are STRANGERS to each other...

#1:
old lady: (to the 2 mo baby in a stroller) Oh you are so cute, aren't you? How old are you, cutie? oh so sweet! are you a boy or a girl?

mom: you know she's only 2 mo and she can't talk yet, right? They don't learn to talk til they're older.

Old lady: (angry and under her breath as she walked by me to the exit) some people are so rude!

I had to go to the breakroom to laugh...thought I'd pee my pants!!!

#2: :
Old lady to a pg mom: How far along are you?

mom: about 32 weeks.

Old lady: how long is that?

mom: (with a 'duh' look on her face) it's 32 weeks!?!

#3:
old fat lady to pg mom: you're so huge! are you sure you aren't having twins?

mom: I'm pretty sure that I'M not having twins, but are YOU sure that YOU'RE not having twins!!!!maybe triplets?

#4:
(we have a wheelchair for handi/disabled/pregnant customers who need to use it....we are required to ask a pg mom if she needs the chair)

pg mom: (to her dh) man my feet are killing me.

coworker to pg mom: would you like to use our wheelchair? it'll make it easier to get around...(our maternity/baby dept is in the back of the store...a long walk)

another customer who was just walking by and overheard: oh she's just pregnant! She can tough it out, right honey?

pg mom: excuse me?

same customer: well it isn't like you're handicapped or anything. you're just pg.

pg mom: how about I attach an extra 30 pounds to your waist and make you stand on your feet for 8 straight hours at your job and tell you you're just pg and not to use a wheelchair...yes sir, i think i will use your wheelchair. Thank you.

same customer: (angry and under her breath) some people....

after that customer left, the couple returned the wheelchair and continued to shop, telling my coworker that the pg mom just wanted to use it to urk that lady...

Reading these, I have gone from one end to the other, from being happy to sad and back...people are idiots and no one has the right to treat someone else so badly or so stupidly!

Sorry to all the mammas out there who people were rude to.

I hope everyone can memerize some of these comebacks and really stick it to the dummies out there!!!

------------------------
Christy

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

User Tag List