What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, here is one that everyone without TV should giggle over....
It doesn't specifically have to do with parenting, but I know things like this didn't happen before ds was born....

At one point, when ds was 2, we moved to northern Indiana, land of *gasp* lake-effect snow (umm yeah, whatever they say...). We didn't have cable at the house and the antenna reception was limited to PBS (amazing we survived, isn't it??).

Anyhow, my mom, being overly paranoid as I suppose most moms are (myself included), would call every day to make sure we were okay, because she was sure we wouldn't know what the weather was outside.
She was dead-set on the idea that without the weather channel, we wouldn't know to put on our coats or maybe even just stay home rather than going out.
It didn't even help when I pointed out that we did have windows and that I could indeed see both the sky and the outside thermometer.
:

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#242 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 03:54 PM

doh....double post....silly server errors...

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#243 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 04:11 PM

this is kinda silly, not so much dumb

we have a web server at home and a webcam (used to be pointed at the hamster, now dh watches the cats watch the birds - it's just badwidth for bandwidths sake, geeks : )

ANYWAY - he figured he'd set up a cam to point at the babe so he could watch him/her while he was at work all day. Well, that sounds nice, but I asked him, is it a portable camera? He said, no, I'll point it at the crib. Er, what crib? And the kiddo won't be sitting around in one spot. They won't like it and I won't be doing that - at first I was worried he expected me to leave the little guy just sitting there on camera for him!! - then he got the idea that just cuz they don't walk, doesn't mean they'll just lie around in one spot all day - OH! He was talking audio and all this weird high tech stuff - no thanks, but that's another argument...

So, since there's a cam pointing at the cats, I'll prly take the bundle to the camera a few times a day for him to see at work.

He's so silly, but he is coming around Bless his fuzzy little heart

Lori
#244 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 04:26 PM

Dearest friends, I have read and re-read the replies to my post and even had some healing tears right here at my desk at work (that'll show'em I'm a professional, LOL!) Heartfelt thanks for acknowledging what was admittedly a cry for help.

I have so much faith in all of us mothers and fathers. I know for a fact that we are all doing our best and that we truly want to support each other. You have shown this to me again. Thank you and bless you.

NOW~ as I agree with the idea of lightness for this thread ~ here's something a mother of twins said to me:

Other mom: Oh, twins! Are they identical?
Me: Yes, they are identical.
Other mom: Oh! Are they a boy and a girl?
Me: No, they are identical, EVEN under their nappies!!

LOL!

Thanks for letting me join the fun
#245 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 04:26 PM

Dearest friends, I have read and re-read the replies to my post and even had some healing tears right here at my desk at work (that'll show'em I'm a professional, LOL!) Heartfelt thanks for acknowledging what was admittedly a cry for help.

I have so much faith in all of us mothers and fathers. I know for a fact that we are all doing our best and that we truly want to support each other. You have shown this to me again. Thank you and bless you.

NOW~ as I agree with the idea of lightness for this thread ~ here's something a mother of twins said to me:

LOL!

#246 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 04:26 PM

LOL!

#247 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 04:30 PM

i was pregnant and a lady says "I have one bit of advise to you, DON"T YOU HOLD THAT BABY when its born. My daughter held her first child and that baby just always wanted to be held. With her second she knew better".....uh....i stood there for a few minutes in disbelief after she left.

the really amazing thing is that someone else later asked my husband "you don't hold that baby do you?" yes of course i hold me baby he says, a little confussed..the woman rolled her eyes and said "you young parents are going to ruin your baby".....

i never knew......
#248 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 04:36 PM

Quote:
"you young parents are going to ruin your baby".....
well, the sociological studies just don't bear that out. that sort of behavior is what makes kids not trust and turn away from their parents. and when they're teens you're wondering - why don't they trust me? and where are they going? well, if you weren't there for them in the beginning, how could they want to be there for you now? *grumble*

had to share....
#249 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 04:42 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kater07
"Tonight a person I was talking to told me that the time wasn't going fast enough with her new baby. She has been complaining about how crappy it is having an infant in the house since before the child was born. "

I know what you mean! On the other hand, how abut the moms who say "oh, they're so great when they're little" as though they're no fun after that! I'm especially thinking of the woman who said that to me when I was 9 months pg, who's baby was 5 months old!

dd is 3 months old, but I have NO doubt I will continue to enjoy her!
(edited 'cause I can't figure out how to properly quote)
#250 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 11:44 PM

edited to erase my double post...

i hate servers!!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#251 of 5048 Old 01-29-2003, 11:47 PM

A comment made by a child-less co-worker to me after i told her that my ovaries shut down:

her: That's great!
me: WHY??
her: now you don't have to spend any money on birth control.
me:
her: What?
me: but i WANT kids.
her: WHY?? all they do is mess up everything and cost you more money. count your blessings if you can't have kids!

:

people are weird....but as you can see, we are ttc anyway, so we'll see what happens.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#252 of 5048 Old 01-30-2003, 04:47 AM

I can't wait to read this entire thread when I have the time.. I bet I could think of much unwanted & freaky advice.

I was very unhappy w/ our dentist when our dd then 2 1/4 went for her first check up.. He asked if she was still on the bottle & I told him she was bfing & he said she needs to be weaned immediatey so she doesn't get buck teeth & tooth decay like extended bottlefed babes.

I was incredibly insulted at a dentist giving advice on when to wean. I felt it wasn't his place for that & found a new dentist.
#253 of 5048 Old 02-05-2003, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

GGGRRR...I got the "It's not hurting him to cry!" line this weekend. I was soooooo mad

The lady holding him DID give him back as soon as I said, "oh, but he's hungry!"
#254 of 5048 Old 02-05-2003, 09:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laralou
[B]My mom constantly says how much the babies love her. If they start cooing or stop crying, she'll say, "They know their Grammie is here." I want to say, "They don't even know you lady!" but that will just make her worse. Normal people talk about how cute the babies are and how much they love them, not how much the babies love that person- that is weird and emotionally needy.

(end quote)

Yes! That is my MIL to a tee! I always wondered why it bothered me so much. It *is* weird and emotionally needy. I swear, part of the reason I had 2 kids was so that MIL could take her laser-intensity off of dd and at least spread it around to ds. sigh...
#255 of 5048 Old 02-05-2003, 04:43 PM

deleted - already posted this remark. sorry!
#256 of 5048 Old 02-05-2003, 08:12 PM

M&Mommy... I think I would have been one of those annoying moms who would ask too - but it would be out of curiosity. I know it's physically possible, but the whole positioning and such I'd always had questions about. I'd want to know how it was managed. Perhaps some of the moms were curious like that too? I had a really rough time in the beginning nursing DS, I know I wouldn't have made it if he had a sibling at birth! Congrats to you for making it for as long as you did! Your little ones got the great colsturm (sp) and have a mommy who loves them. =)

One of the newest questions coworkers and friends have asked is "when do you plan on weaning him?" I don't think they're implying he shouldn't be nursing now (he's only 4mo), but they're uncomfortable with the idea of extended bfing. Something I'd like to say is, "what difference to you is it what I do with my boobs?" But they're usually a friend of some sort, so I can't be too rude. =)

~Melissa
#257 of 5048 Old 02-06-2003, 07:00 PM

["It's not hurting him to cry!">>>>>

..... my mom told me the same thing something like "it's great exercise for his lungs".....i asked her if she thought bleeding was good exercise for the veins....
#258 of 5048 Old 02-06-2003, 09:55 PM

windipixi! :LOL
#259 of 5048 Old 02-07-2003, 12:46 AM

I'd love to say "Hmm, Maybe I'll make you cry and see if it hurts?"
My mom said the same thing about how it will make her lungs strong. Someone must have told them the same thing but duh didn't think about it?:
#260 of 5048 Old 02-07-2003, 02:31 AM

mamitorres, I have a reply in here somewhere amongst the 100 pages of replies LOL that address just that very thing about the lungs needing excersize and that's why "Crying is good for them" whatta bunch of hooey!!
#261 of 5048 Old 02-07-2003, 02:45 AM

Ok can I add another "not quite a parent yet" story? Some of these posts are lighthearted, and some serious... I don't want to make light of any of the serious ones, but thought it would be funny to add a goofy one!

This one actually happened last night. Somehow a conversation rolled around to maternity clothes, and our good friend told us "Please tell me you're not going to wear all *that* stuff!". I asked him "So should I wrap myself in sheets when I've got a big pregnant belly?" He told me I had a good point. I also told him that it will be NICE to be able to tell the world I'm pregnant when I'm showing! So its a goofy one, but I don't understand why anyone would have something against maternity clothes??

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#262 of 5048 Old 02-07-2003, 03:38 AM

This thread has made me laugh and cry! Sometimes at the same post. I don't have any gems as funny (or sad) as you guys. I did get a lot of "are you sure you're not having twins?" and "are you sick of being pregnant yet?" I think I answered a few times "no, I'm just sick of being asked that!" (DS was 12 days "late.")

I have kind of a funny story though. At my 41 week appointment my OB offered me prostaglandin gel and I said no. I could tell he thought I should have it. Then at my next appointment (the following Monday) he offered it again. I had until Thursday (when I'd be 42 weeks) to deliver in the birthing center, after that I'd have to go to the hospital. He said it was "possible" that I would have the baby by Thursday, but I could tell that he didn't think it was likely. Tuesday morning I woke up in labor and Tuesday night at 9pm when he came in to catch my baby he took one look at me and said, "you really didn't want to be induced, huh?" I was too deep into my contractions to say anything, but I wish I could have stood up on the bed and yelled at him, "THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU FOR A WEEK!" Heh. Other than that he was a nice guy, and up until that point he had been pretty non-interventionist. Can't win 'em all!

Another story, my mom and I were out to lunch with DS (7 months) the other day. She was having a sandwich with avocado, which I had offered to him once, so she wanted to give him a piece. I said sure. He didn't seem that interested in it, so I said, "don't give him anymore," and she said, "why not?" I said, "becuase I'm the mama!" She gave it to him anyway. I was fuming. She looked at me and looked at DS and said to him, "I hope your mom lets me see you again after that. At least she realized that she ticked me off and that I wouldn't stand for it.
#263 of 5048 Old 02-17-2003, 03:57 PM

Well when my sister had her first child, (I was childless at the time) I made a big deal out of telling her that she should just let him CIO and if his diaper was dry and she had just fed him he was fine and to leave him in his crib. I also gave her a hard time about nursing him past a year. Well when I had my daughter, I nursed her on demand, she slept with us, and I wouldn't dare let her CIO. She also nursed until she was 2 1/2. So much for all my wise advice!!
#264 of 5048 Old 02-17-2003, 05:01 PM

I gained about 40lbs or more with my dd, but I was always underweight before I got pregnant the first time. I had a real fear of gaining too much weight, and I was shopping in this 2nd hand store, and the obnoxious woman there had the nerve to act like I was SO huge, and asked if I was having twins or just a big baby. I was so appalled. Then she went on to tell me how a heavy friend of hers is so pretty now that she is pregnant, and how she told her friend "Oh, my gosh you are so pretty." How RUDE!! I am so sure her friend appreciated that she thought she was ugly before. I don't remember how she worded it, but she had mentioned that her friend was homely before pregnancy.
I love it when non-parents tell us not to EVER yell at the kids! Everyone loses it every now and then.
I had a low milk problem when I was nursing ds, and the doc refused to give me anything to increase my pathetically low supply, so I had to give him formula. Doctors are so mean sometimes. Try not to take it out on the moms who had to supplement or bottlefeed.
#265 of 5048 Old 02-17-2003, 05:03 PM

nc mama, I bet your sister has had a time giving you heck over that!
#266 of 5048 Old 02-17-2003, 06:14 PM

My ds never crawled. He did a cute little butt scoot and then went to walking. My MIL told me that I needed to teach him to crawl or he would never learn to read.
He started reading at age 2!
#267 of 5048 Old 02-18-2003, 01:51 PM

Hey, this thread really helped me out this weekend! I went to a baby shower with lots of women, and expected some to try to yank my dd away without giving her back when she cried immediately!
Two did, and my dd did cry as soon as she was grabbed, but after reading what others went through here, I had no problem yanking her back! One tried to tell me to get lost because my "hovering" wasn't allowing my dd to be distracted, but I stood my ground! I managed to keep my dd very happy and was able to enjoy the shower!

There were a few I tried to let hold my dd that had met her before, and they were great about letting me have her back when she cried!

Thanks everybody!
#268 of 5048 Old 02-18-2003, 02:46 PM

Hey, that's cool. I can't believe anyone would take your kid then tell you you can't "hover", wtf? Glad it worked out inky
#269 of 5048 Old 02-18-2003, 07:00 PM

yeah, why WOULDN'T you "hover?" It's your baby. I'd hover if it was my baby. what a silly thing to say!

#270 of 5048 Old 02-18-2003, 07:12 PM

Thanks guys! The support here for stuff like that is a real blessing!
My friend had warned that her MIL was very strong willed, and that's who grabbed my dd from me first. I just stuck to my rights as mommy, and saved my dd as soon as I could! She needed some nursing, and then was fine

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page