August 05 Mamma's -- October Chat!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 449 Old 10-28-2005, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just realized in re-reading my post to Deborah, that I may have sounded kind of preachy. I really didn't mean that, D. I'm sure you've both done a lot of soul searching already about your reasons for working. I only meant to offer my experience as someone who's been in your situation.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 449 Old 10-28-2005, 06:49 PM

Boy, I haven't posted in days! So much to catch up on, I just know I'm going to forget domething.

Kiernen gets linty hands no matter how much I wash them. And after swaddling at night they get that lovely cheesy smell. Put me in the list for only bathing him once a week, sometimes less. I'm kind of bad about remembering to do it unless he smells like cheese

Deborah - Hooray for leakge! I know I'm chiming in a bit late but I've been reading and cheering. I wish I had some good advice about working but I think the other Mamas have covered it well.

Adrienne - Forgive me if I am repeating myself (I forget), but Sally Fallon has an excellent recipe for formula on the Weston A Price Foundation website. I can personnally attest to its greatness. I call Kiernen my sweetness, too. And I feel exactly the same about the swaddles.

Kristen - I have chiropractic questions (about me) but maybe I'll just pm you with them so as not to make this post too long. I hope that's all right.

I don't know what it is lately but he wants me to hold him ALL the time. It's getting to the point where even at night if he wakes up he won't setle back down and go to sleep unless I hold him to nurse rather than sidelying. I am exhausted from this, to the point where after being awake 6 hours earlier than usual with only a 2 hour nap, I was just crying, begging him to fall asleep so I could rest (it didn't work). DH tries to take him in the early am before he goes to work and at night do I can squeeze in an hour or so of sleep, but Kier isn't having any of it. After about 15 minutes he just won't settle down and is fussing to nurse. this is of course after I've tried everything to get him to nurse and he isn't having it so I give him to DH to see if he can calm him.

I'm wondering if he has a litle virus or something, although he isn't showing any other symptoms. Although today his poops were off achedule and darker and he just had one that was a lovely forest green - a colour he has never had before. He has also been drooling a lot so it could be teething, too. But man, if I don't get some rest I just don't know what I'm going to do.

It isn't all bad, though, not even close. Kier is laughing out loud now, at both of us, and loves to verbalize and keeps finding new sounds. He remains uninterested in toys but loves hands and lights to no end - looking at both and holding hands, thumbs and fingers. He is definitely my sweetness in every sense of the word. And he still doesn't ever cry unless he is startled or hurt.
#423 of 449 Old 10-28-2005, 10:15 PM

my Hosanna wants to be held all the time too! Not even daddy can make her happy lately! All momma, all the time!
I've been blaming it on her weight loss, but maybe it's just the stage she's in

...I have a question about Vax. I just had a friend send me some articles pro-vax. I'm pretty against vax, but I don't have any good articles on why. Anyone know any good/credible online resources?

Thanks!
#424 of 449 Old 10-29-2005, 01:00 AM

Chasmyn, sorry your dh is so needy right now. I don't have any advice but a . Hang in there and try to figure out a way to get some sleep!

I'm in the middle of switching doctors for Clara, and it got me wondering how you all like your doc's? Do you take your dc to a ped or a fp? These well-baby visits are annoying. I'm nervous that he's going to lecture me about vaxing the whole time (we're still deciding). Gracious, check out the vax section on www.hpakids.org for some good vax info. This whole vax decision is giving me a headache! Also, I just read a really good chapter on immunity that deals with vaxing in a book called "mother daughter wisdom" by Christianne Northrup (author of "Women's bodies, women's wisdom). I highly recomend it.
#425 of 449 Old 10-29-2005, 02:28 AM

Gracious - you're going to get your best vax info from the vax forum. They'll love to help you over there

Chasmyn - PM away

Caren - I don't use a ped or FP. If ds is struggling with something we can't handle, we'll just go to the ER.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#426 of 449 Old 10-29-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenSwan
I'm in the middle of switching doctors for Clara, and it got me wondering how you all like your doc's? Do you take your dc to a ped or a fp? These well-baby visits are annoying. I'm nervous that he's going to lecture me about vaxing the whole time (we're still deciding). Gracious, check out the vax section on www.hpakids.org for some good vax info. This whole vax decision is giving me a headache! Also, I just read a really good chapter on immunity that deals with vaxing in a book called "mother daughter wisdom" by Christianne Northrup (author of "Women's bodies, women's wisdom). I highly recomend it.
Caren-

Yes, we take our boys to a ped, and while my ped is willing to work with me on an different vax schedule. At jonah's last appt, he was REALLY gunning for me to get the DTaP, basically he was most concerned that jonah needed the pertussis, since he said it's winter and whooping cough is going around, which I don't deny, but I still want to wait longer before making decisions. He was not nasty about it, but I would say, gently, but persistently pushing and while I really like our ped, I do NOT want to get lectured about vax everytime we have a well baby visit. He also started talking about how he doesn't think that the docs who make the vax schedule are in the pockets of the pharm companies, etc.. I guess I kind of disagree on that, didn't say anything to him, but it makes me nervous that he is so confidant about the vax, although he did agree with me that the # of vaxes given to babies is quite overwhelming. I don't know, he's kind of wishy washy about it, not being a total jerk, but then I feel like he's gently trying to sway me towards his POV too. The nurse was going to make me sign some sort of vax waiver form and I told her we were delaying not refusing (at this point), and she got in a huff and said, "I'll let the doctor *deal* with it." Uh, ok, nice to know that she considers me a PITA??? I get so annoyed that whenever I find a halfway decent doc, I DETEST their support staff (and I myself am an RN, so it's not like I don't have realistic expectations of other health care professionals). I have a close relative who keeps, "reminding" me about vax. I just say, "uh huh" b/c when he found out I was not going to give my toddler the chix pox vax he threw a fit, started talking about ppl dying, blah, blah, and was really condenscending and over-emotional (in other words non-professional about it). So, he has been bugging me about jonah's 2nd hep B shot... well jonah never even got the first hep B shot at the hospital. Even my own ped says the hep B shot can be put off until the child is about HS age, but my relative ped, follows the CDC guidelines like they are burned into stone or something. So, to keep from being belittled by him, I am pretty much say, "yes" everytime he tells me we should be getting this and that shot, I feel bad that I am lying to him, but then it's none of his business how I vax or don't vax my kids. Now, he is pushing the flu shot too. : We are afraid to visit him (even though he CONSTANTLY hounds us to visit him, despite me telling him that traveling with a toddler and a newborn who hates the carseat is not easy), b/c I KNOW he will say, "let's go to the office and get you all flu shots."

So, yes I totally know what you mean about what a headache this whole vax thing is. I find myself second guessing myself, b/c everywhere I turn, I am being told I am irresponsible, putting everyone else in, "danger," only following the latest, "fad" (WTF is that all about???), being told that my ped is the MD, not me, so they know better, and I should trust them (I always tell my patients not to just blindly follow what their doc says, to research and ask lots of questions), blah, blah. I'm really frustrated by all of this, and know I just need to stick to my guns and not let anyone pressure or make me feel bad about my choices. At my LLL mtg, I *thought* my leader mentioned that one of the girls' in our group goes to a ped who is ok w/o vax, and I think I'm going to have to call up the other girl and ask her if that is true and if so, the name of her doc. I like ours, but just don't want to feel pressured everytime we go in to see him. Our LLL leader, delayed her kids' vax until they were like 3-4 yrs old. Her DH is a DO specializing in critical care, and I don't think they have a ped, b/c he just takes care of his own family, so they don't have to deal with all of this (he works in a different city though). Our town is very small, very white wonder bread, meat and potatoes, most ppl here do everything the same and if you are anything out of the, "norm" ppl think you are weird. So, yes, I am probably considered weird by a lot of ppl here. It explains why we do not have very many friends in the area, although I really like the ladies at my LLL, I think they are more AP in general (although I am to more of an extreme than most of them), so we have more in common.
#427 of 449 Old 10-29-2005, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin
I don't use a ped or FP. If ds is struggling with something we can't handle, we'll just go to the ER.
Same here. But I do have a fp who treats my kids when they need it. She is wonderful and never hassles me about vaxing. She's my doc too and I think that makes a difference. My routine is to skip all the well baby visits until they start school. You'll know if something is up with your baby.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#428 of 449 Old 10-29-2005, 02:48 PM

One thing to remember about the vax thing is that they are not 100 percent effective. Here's a sentence from a study the CDC did on children aged 6 to 59 months who got pertussis (whooping cough):

"The proportions of children who received 0, 1 or 2, 3, and > or =4 pertussis (DTP and/or DTaP) vaccine doses among case subjects were 26%, 14%, 26%, and 34%...."

This means that 74% of the kids in the study who had whooping cough ALSO had at least one pertussis vax, and 34% of them had all 4 shots (as recommended).

I don't know how many kids nationwide get all of their DTaP shots, but my point is that even if you get vaxed, you can still get the disease.

After this 4-month well baby visit, whether or not we go back to the dr for well visits will depend on if/how much we decide to vax, or if we have other concerns (for example, if we were worried about possible hearing loss, etc). We did all the well baby visits with DD1 and they really just stressed me out - her first ped (who was head of the pediatrics dept at a very prestigious hospital) was wrong about so many things and tried to get us riled up about S. not gaining much weight between 6 and 9 mos (????). Very weird.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#429 of 449 Old 10-29-2005, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Some of you may have read about my lovely experiences with the last doctor. : We are going back to the doctor here at the clinic-closer anyway. I had him with our first son and he was ok, but we were vaxing back then, so we'll see. I feel that for us well baby visits are a waste of time, but I do them because I don't want not going to ever be used against as proof of neglect. Paranoid, yes, but you just never know these days. Yk, "they don't vax, they don't take their kids to the doctor, they homeschool, oh they must be neglecting/abusing their kids!" I'ts kida fun to get all the weight/growth stats too. I'm always worried about the germs there, but Nathan never got sick from well baby checks, so I'm trying not to worry about that.

I'm taking him in on the 1st to have a weird lump checked out. Poor guy looks like he has three testes. I's pretty weird, anyone heard about extra lumps down there? It could be another hernia, which from what I've read isn't a big deal, but I want it checked out anyway.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#430 of 449 Old 10-29-2005, 09:16 PM

We see a FP and I really like her. She nursed her preschooler and had her kids at home. She would prefer that we vax but is no pressure at all about it.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#431 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 12:26 AM

I love this thread Seems like I fret about something with the babe and come here and see it is a common thing for this age. I can't believe how much I forgot between kiddo's - or maybe they really are that different.
I thought mine was the least bathed child around but I "spot" clean him as needed and about once a week I take him in the bath with me. He seems to like it, better than his own tub anyway. He starts by nursing and ends up laughing as his older brother pours water over his toes.

And can I talk about the laughing for a minute? Oh...my...gosh. It is so cute. He will sit and look at dh or I with this goofy grin and when we make a silly face back he will just burst out chuckling. Took me by surprise but it is so cool! Um, yeah, I keep falling more and more in love.
I also love how he grabs at my necklace now when I hold him up on my shoulder or when he nurses. He is getting quite a grip.

Can't remember who asked about Probiotics - I think in health and healing there is a bunch of great info on them. I'm no expert for sure but I know for myself they keep yeast in check. You can find them in refridgerated section of a health food store. I have used the capsule forms and the chewable tablets and found them both to be good. For my toddler and infant, I use a powdered infant's blend. It is dairy free and I mix it in with EBM. They help to restore a healthy flora. I found it super heapful as ds was in the NICU on IV antibiotics and was exposed to them through me in delivery and for an acute case of mastitis.

I am loving my hotsling but want to try something else. J loves to be on me and I can do lots with him in the pouch but I am limited in my arm movements. I live in chilly New England and am looking to learn what to use for a high back carry. Any suggestions?

Anybody use wool nursing pads? I have huge problems with leakage and I want to find something that works and get rid of the disposables. MOE worked great for me before but aren't cutting it this time around. At home I use my cloth wipes folded up but I'm getting ready for some out of the house part time work and need something reliable. Any ideas?
#432 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 12:43 AM

Oh my word! It's so good to know you ladies get frustrated with your dr's about vax, and get annoying comments!
We've had so much drama concerning Hosanna with her weight loss (too many nurses with too many opinion differing from the dr's, and forcing their opinion...oh and threatening with social services : ) Since Hosanna has just turned two months, these nurses are pushing vax...and I haven't ruled them out completely!!! oi vey..
I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one making an up hill battle!
#433 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 01:36 AM

hello, nak. DD has to go to the lab on monday for a sweat chloride test. i noticed that her stools were a bit oily, so i pushed the ped to have a stool sample. results came back with fecal fats outside the range of normal. No one in either family has cystic fibrosis, so I am really freaked out!!! Our ND thinks its unlikely based on the results of the electro-magnetic testing we had done about a week ago. She did show to have a fungus in her colon, and we're trating that homeopathically. ND isn't surprised at the test results, but doesn't feel CF fits her profile. Please pray for us and/or keep us in your thoughts.

Anyone know about infant CF?

Anyway all, take care!

farmlife3 - I have 3 pairs of wool nursing pads, that have never been used. I don't leak. 2 are circular, 1 is moon shaped. One of the circular pair is silk on the outside, which is nice under cloths that are revealing. Let me know if you are interested and I'd be glad to sell them to you.
#434 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 02:01 AM

One of my patients has a child w/ CF
I know he const nursed as a baby because kids w/ cf require so many more calories

i'd be happy to ask them any spec ?s if you'd like

nak

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
#435 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 02:32 AM

Thanks all for weighing in on my dr question. I would skip out on these well-baby visits except that I'm eager to find a doc that I like. I don't want to be in a situation where my dd is sick for the first time and I'm taking her to someone I don't know/trust. yk?
#436 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 04:01 AM

anudi01: definitely praying for you. I hope that this is just nothing but abnormal labs. Please keep us updated!!!!
#437 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenSwan
I would skip out on these well-baby visits except that I'm eager to find a doc that I like. I don't want to be in a situation where my dd is sick for the first time and I'm taking her to someone I don't know/trust. yk?

Well baby visits...I think we know better than the strangers we see every few months whether our kidlets are well...and I think we can weigh and measure just as competently. I just didn't want to be in the ED with a sick baby hoping that the "pediatrician on call" for unattached patients wasn't a complete moron. I found a ped that I like and respect, and when he tries to advise us re: parenting, I just take a few deep breaths and remember that I chose him because I think he's medically sound...not because I wanted his opinions about crib sleeping...

Anudi01, will pray for you and your dd!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#438 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 12:10 PM

Haven't done a well-check visit yet. I am contemplating waiting until after flu season. I hate the idea of bringing baby to the clinic with all the sick kids. I am not vaxing as of now. Two months is just way too early for me to even consider it. My fp is also the baby's doc and was the doc at the birth. i don't think he vaxes his kids!!!! You would be surprised how many docs won't even give their kids the vax. He agress that there is just too many unanswered questions. My sister's son has Autism and I am just not convinced that the shots didn't contribute to it somehow. Did anyone read the Robert Kennedy article about the pharmaceutical companies and vax? Very interesting. My DS #1 is like half vaxed and I have stopped now. We'll see with DS #2. I stay open minded and try to educate myself.
Luckily, the clinic I go to is very open and friendly. They know that it is ultimately the parents choice. Alot of people in my area do not vax, so they are really used to it. They are also very open to alternate schedules, selective vaxing or no vaxing. My doc assumed I wasn't doing them at 2 months, we didn't even discuss it really.
I feel very lucky to not have to argue and go home feeling bad about my choices. I wish everyone has this option to find a doc they trusted and liked and who, in turn, respected them and their family choices.
#439 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 01:43 PM

Alisa, I don't really know anything about these tests you mentioned. I will pray for your little one though and hope everything comes back normal.

Our FP suggested I bring him in around 4 months just to have a look and see how he's developing. I can already tell he's normal and growing well. We weighed him last night when I saw my mw and he was 14-11 with a diaper and t-shirt on, so about 14-5 naked.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#440 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 02:51 PM

Who asked about the high back carry? I put Jonas in the Kozy in the high back, and it works great. It takes a little practice to get him up, but we're getting pretty quick at it. the instructions on the website are helpful--I end up putting the straps more under his butt than across his back.

anudi, I really hope the tests turn out ok. I'll be thinking about you.
#441 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 05:03 PM

i'm beyond frustrated....ds's doc says his mouth is fine, so he wouldn't give us diflucan, but i am so yeasty still and trying everything to get rid of it. the zantac has reduced his wakefulness and the crying/back arching, but he still only eats well when asleep. otherwise he pulls off all the time, clicks, and acts like his mouth is hurting
#442 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 07:13 PM

Carrie, have you tried anything like Candida Clear from NOW?

#443 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

have you tried garlic, it is also helpful for yeast. I slice a raw garlic clove and slightly crush the slices with a spoon or fork and then swallow them whole like tablets with some juice or something. It really isn't as bad as it sounds!

Here's a great article:
http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/yeast.shtml

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#444 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 08:16 PM

i have tried...gentian violet for us bothwhen we first dx this, caused a sore mouth for ds, nystatin for 2wks, jack newman's all purpose nipple ointment, acidophilus for us both, and grapefruit seed extract. we've had this for a month now, but only treated for 2 wks.

i'm not leaving that dr's office without diflucan for ds in the am. this is so frustrating. will get garlic to take too, thanks for the suggestion.

never heard of the other cream, my mwife seems to think the jack newman cream is pretty strong.
#445 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 09:22 PM

Should you take the diflucan too?

Be careful wth the GSE on your nipples. It's great at killing stuff, but it can also really irritate the skin.
#446 of 449 Old 10-30-2005, 11:23 PM

i'm already taking the diflucan and taking the gse orally, using a vinegar rinse on the skin
#447 of 449 Old 10-31-2005, 08:12 PM

Just got back from our 2nd ped appointment and had to share--

At 11 weeks, Jonas weighs 15 lbs 2 oz, and is 25 inches long. That's a gain of over 6 lbs from his post-birth low, and 4 inches--yay breastmilk!
#448 of 449 Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 PM

Good job, Jonas!!!! (you too, mama!)
#449 of 449 Old 11-01-2005, 01:03 PM

Hey everybody! It's November, so look for a new chat thread for us here.

Any sugar hangovers this morning? Any good halloween pictures?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page