August 05 Mamma's -- October Chat!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 449 Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kate and Carrie --

Okay, you both scared me. I spent the WHOLE day logging naps after reading the No Cry Sleep Solution.

Tonight I worked for **2.5** hours to soothe the baby to sleep without letting her sleep on my chest. I followed the idea of putting her down when she is sleepy and not sleepING so that she can learn to do it by herself.

I am WHOOPED after that. The author of NCSS says it will get better. I hope so.

Kristin --

I can tell you about the logs...For one day, you will keep 3 diff logs. One is for naps during the day, one is for your prebedtime routine and one is for night waking.

During the day, write down what time CJ fell asleep, What time and HOW he fell asleep, WHERE he fell asleep and WHERE he ended up sleeping and WHEN he woke up, and then write how long that nap lasted. Keep track of this all day long. One of mine looked similar to this:

I put mine into columns which I can't replicate here.

How: nursing Where: at breast Where she slept: in lap and so on.

For the prebedtime routine, you just track (again in columns) what you did the hour before the bedtime.

I am aiming for a bedtime of 7:30 -- the author says most babies are hardwired to sleep at around 6:30 or 7:30 pm -- and you should leave an hour for the prebedtime routine. So just write down what you do. Mine was something like:
6:15 come home from mom's group
6:25 nurse
6:35 baby fell asleep
6:50 baby woke up
6:50 nursed baby into sleepy state

and so on. The author says it is VERY important not to nurse the baby to sleep or she'll make an association that she NEEDS to nurse in order to sleep. I am now trying to break that association so she can do it on her own.

I think it helps to have DH step in where possible because he does not smell like millk.

You are also supposed to track -- for each of those activities the light level, noise level and something else.

Eventually, you'll create a routine. Our routine will one day go like this:

1. change into pajamas
2. read 1-2 stories
3. lights out
4. sing a lullaby
5. breast or bottle feed (but not to sleep!!)
6. rub back
7. sleep

As for the night log...I haven't done that one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
At the risk of sounding "anti AP" I highly recommend trying to get your dcs to sleep without laying on you or in a sling ASAP. I did this with dd1 and she didn't sleep through the night until age 5 and always needed me to lay down with her.
#62 of 449 Old 10-04-2005, 10:47 PM

I would agree with what mamao'two said -- I think sleep habits have more to do with the child than with how they are napping when they are 2 months old.

Deborah, at the risk of poking my nose into your business....that is a LOT of work to put on yourself at a time when your baby and her habits are changing daily! My unsolicited 2 cents is that baby sleep habits change, and how Olive sleeps at 2 months will not be how she sleeps at 6 months or 1 year or 2 years.

Our older DD took almost ALL of her naps on me or my DH, in the sling, for the first 8 months or so of her life. If she didn't take all of the nap on him, she fell asleep in the sling and then he took it off once she was sound asleep (it was a Maya ring sling). This didn't seem to prevent her from being able to fall asleep by herself. She also almost always nursed to sleep at night, but occasionally (when I was away on business) fell asleep without nursing.

IMHO, a 2-month-old sleeps best ON Mom or Dad, at least for the falling-asleep phase. As they get older they will be able to fall asleep other ways, but you may be just expending a lot of extra energy to try to "train" something into your baby that he/she will do naturally anyway once they are older. I have not read NCSS and have heard great things about it, but a bedtime routine for a 2-month-old seems a bit extreme to me. We did not start thinking about routines until DD1 was over a year old, and we have never had a bedtime "schedule" (that is, doing the same thing at the same time every night).

I hope that made some sense....off to bed!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#63 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 12:00 AM

First of all, I'm so surprised you guys know where Iron Mountain is! My home is known! :-D

...and as for this whole sleepy baby bit...here I am with my little gal in her sling. She cried, and insisted in sleeping in the sling, of course with a mouth full of my boob. As I read all the suggestions, it's hard to want to keep a log...shoot, I was bad at keeping a log of my breastfeeding at the hospital! So I imagine I will not do well with it now. But I would like to read the No sleep solution...hmm who's it written by?
Mostly I think I'm comforted by nancy, that she'll outgrow this on her own, and there's nothing to worry about. Hee hee, I never thought I would be a worrying parent...ha, then I had a baby.
#64 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 12:05 AM

Yes, it's so important to remember that babies are all different from each other and each baby seems to change literally overnight! I think it's great to notice routine and flow. I have a sense of this and it helps me know when AB is out of synch and something unusual is up with her.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#65 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 12:38 AM

Check it out, I finally got something up on the net:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a354/Aeriane/

whoo hoo!

We're doing ok, Nathanael's finally gotten to birthweight after loosing a pound. He's now 6 lbs 12 oz and I couldn't be more thrilled. I've been hanging out quite a bit on a down syndrome forum so sorry to be amoung the missing..only so many hours in a day..

Loving this babe, Kitty
#66 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracious
First of all, I'm so surprised you guys know where Iron Mountain is! My home is known! :-D

I'm excited people know where the UP is...my ds has a very cute shirt that says "Baby Yooper" on it, and I've had to explain it more than once to people...

I live in Grand Marais!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#67 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 06:13 AM

Hi Nancy,

I don't mind a bit you "poking your nose into my business" =).

It is a lot of work, yet I enjoyed my time in the quiet, dark room with Olive. I'm pretty sure we were keeping her up too late and that was affecting her near inability and fussiness about napping. We thought if we kept her up late that she would sleep longer at night. Wrong!! She would RAGE at night and it took up to 3 hours to get her to sleep (and she'd be hollering) and I think it's because she was so tired from a lack of naps.

Last night, she was a much more happy and calm baby and I think that's because I put her down to sleep when she started to look sleepy (now I know what signs to look for).

After keeping a nap log, I see she slept only 3 hours during the day and a newborn needs more than that. Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong on that.

I don't look at this as "training" her but, instead, as providing her a conducive place to sleep -- dark, quiet room with the people she loves best nearby.

If she ends up with a "weird" schedule when she's older, that'll be fine with me. My mom said I was up at all hours of the night and she decided not to make a big deal out of it as long as my grades were good..

So, I just want to clarify that I'm not enforcing anything on little O -- just providing her with a quiet, dark place to sleep when she's ready and helping her adjust her biological clock. We nursed in the dark for a long time, and I enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926
I would agree with what mamao'two said -- I think sleep habits have more to do with the child than with how they are napping when they are 2 months old.

Deborah, at the risk of poking my nose into your business....that is a LOT of work to put on yourself at a time when your baby and her habits are changing daily! My unsolicited 2 cents is that baby sleep habits change, and how Olive sleeps at 2 months will not be how she sleeps at 6 months or 1 year or 2 years.
#68 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 09:25 AM

I'm sorry if i scared you! To some extent I think sleep habits are based on the baby, i guess my firstborn is just intense in her sleep issues!

IMO a newborn does need more than 3 hrs of sleep during the day. the last two days I didn't swaddle adrian as much for his naps and he was SO cranky in the early evenings. he will only nap for about 30 min on his own without a swaddle. poor guy really can't stay awake longer than an hr before needing a little snooze. And I don't insist that he always drift off on his own, or nap without me, just some of the time he still snuggles plenty in the sling!
#69 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 11:14 AM

Gosh, I'm sorry mamas. I didn't mean to start a divisive debate about sleep "training". I'm sure we're all doing our best for our little ones. Just trying to share some of my experience having been through this before with dd1.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#70 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 01:45 PM

Well Hello from the Western side!
How are the colors over there? We just took a trip to the porcupine mts...gorgeous right now! I love fall
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith
I'm excited people know where the UP is...my ds has a very cute shirt that says "Baby Yooper" on it, and I've had to explain it more than once to people...

I live in Grand Marais!
#71 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 PM

i'm so jealous of you guys that have fall weather already - it is sunny and 80 here in dc today! blech - I'm ready for some cooler weather.
#72 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 05:42 PM

We're having Indian Summer here, the last hurrah. The leaves are beautiful - all orange, red, and yellow. The days have been in the 80s, but the nights are cooolll(d) already in the 30s and 40s. We've had a couple of light frosts in the past couple of weeks. I expect the warm days to be over by this weekend, though, and then we'll have 3 weeks of fall followed by 6 months of winter. We usually get our first snow around the first of November. 8)

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#73 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 06:32 PM

No Amy- say it isn't so-this weather is going to last and Winter is not coming!! (:
It is so beautiful out and I was outside with Emmett getting some Vit D.
We had our six week checkup yesterday. Emmett is 12 lbs 1 oz. He was 8lb 5 oz at birth.

Emmett is doing wonderfully and I am so happy. I am having the opposite of PPD. I am elated and happy all the time. I think I am pretty high still from the VBAC and I am just enjoying this new little one so much. The VBAC was extremely healing emotionally. Anyone else with a VBAC feeling this way?

As far as sleeping, vaccination, and other big topics in child rearing, my best advice is to go with your heart. Read books, but remember that you know your child best. I don't think you will regret your decisions if you just listen to what you and your baby needs. Go with the flow and expect ups and downs. I have learned more in raising my children than I did in college!
- Kerri
#74 of 449 Old 10-05-2005, 09:22 PM

I'm almost finished reading "Spilled Milk : Breastfeeding Adventures and Advice from Less-Than Perfect Moms" by Andy Steiner. I highly recommend it - very good book, and an easy read.

Kiernen was weighed Monday - he is 8 weeks today and was 13 pounds 8 ounces on Monday! I made that!

Photos are here ! I made a fakey account to log in with, too. Use chasmyn@gmail.com as the login address and the password is pumbum

He seems to be having a growth spurt because the past two days he wants to sleep on me only aand wakes to nurse every 20 min or so - at might every hour. I am exhausted. Good thing I am in such powerful love with him and will do anything for him because I am hella exhausted.

My in-laws are coming this Friday, staying for a week (not with us, house is too small). Stress!
#75 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 12:05 AM

nak,

kate (and nancy from vt)--

i don't think you started a debate...i think i'm learning a lot here and appreciate you 2nd time mamas taking the time to sharer experiences.

d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
Gosh, I'm sorry mamas. I didn't mean to start a divisive debate about sleep "training". I'm sure we're all doing our best for our little ones. Just trying to share some of my experience having been through this before with dd1.
#76 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 12:58 AM

Hey, Nancy & Kerri,
Where in VT are you guys? Have you met each other? I'm only 20 minutes from St. J. Maybe we should meet for a playdate sometime?

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#77 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 01:40 AM

since we're sort of on the subject, with the sleeping babe wanting mom only...my dh and I are taking a trip to see his family so they can meet our little one. This includes an eight hour drive. My Dd has yet to ride in the car with out screaming her little head off. Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this, or better yet prevent it? I have no idea how we can do this trip with her hating her carseat so badly.
I can't help but wonder if maybe this is my fault. I've been attempting to do this Attachment Parenting, and I love it in every area. Even her need for me to hold her, even when she's sleeping. But am I do something wrong? Have I missed something, that she screams when she is put down for longer then 5 minuets? oh sigh. Maybe this is something I shouldn't be thinking about when I'm tired.
#78 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 09:14 AM

gracious, go back and read the previous thread for august moms - there is some good info about the carseat crying - something about the way it positions the baby.
#79 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao
nak,

kate (and nancy from vt)--

i don't think you started a debate...i think i'm learning a lot here and appreciate you 2nd time mamas taking the time to sharer experiences.

d
Since I'm the one who originally asked about sleeping, I have to say I'm also grateful for everyone's input!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#80 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeriane
Check it out, I finally got something up on the net:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a354/Aeriane/

whoo hoo!

We're doing ok, Nathanael's finally gotten to birthweight after loosing a pound. He's now 6 lbs 12 oz and I couldn't be more thrilled. I've been hanging out quite a bit on a down syndrome forum so sorry to be amoung the missing..only so many hours in a day..

Loving this babe, Kitty
Hi there! You have a beautiful family. My stepdaughter (12) has Down Syndrome and she is an incredibley loving little girl. She's sooooooo good with Henry. In a way Henry and her two older brothers are lucky to have her -- she has taught and will teach them so much about diversity and patience.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#81 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 12:14 PM

I swaddled ds last night for the first time--HE SLEPT 7 HOURS!!!!

He usually likes to have his hands up (including during birth , so we stopped swaddling right after birth cause he hated it. I tried it again with a miracle type blanket. YAY!!!!!!!!!!! I feel human this morning!
#82 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 01:06 PM

gracious, it can squish up their tummy if they're in a bucket seat. Leila screamed constantly in the car. Then we moved her to a convertible seat - its less convenient for me, of course, but she hasn't cried once!
#83 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 01:15 PM

How big do they have to be to go to the convertible seat?
#84 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 01:24 PM

I have only used a convertible seat. Never used just an infant seat. DS was 7 pounds 6 ounces at birth. I had to prop him up with a blanket and put rolled up blankets on each side of him for the first two weeks.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#85 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 01:58 PM

Kristin - can you tell us more? Is it still rear-facing? Is a convertible seat the one that 20-40 lb kids use? Is it safe it you have to elevate them with towels?

Also, I'm interested in knowing more about swaddling, but babe has long ougrown her receiving blankets. Any suggestions for using something else I might have around the house?

#86 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 02:18 PM

All you swaddle-loving folks, or wannabes -- try this

We bought ours for dd1 three years ago and loved it, and now we have two for dd2 -- one for the house and the other for the car. Yes, that's right -- we swaddle the baby in her carseat. The SwaddleMe blanket (link above) has a slot for you to put the carseat buckle through. This is the greatest invention ever. They even make this blanket in a larger size for when your babies grow. The best part: THEY ARE ONLY TEN DOLLARS! Go out and get them ASAP!

Samara is 2 months old now -- she was 8lbs 4oz at her 2 month checkup. Wow! Up from 4lb11oz at birth...that's pretty wonderful. I am so glad.

And yes, hooray for the big toothless wide open smiles. LORD they're cute like that, huh?

Samara had a few nights where she slept 3-4 hours straight, got up to nurse, and then slept another 3 hours. I was in heaven! Alas, last night was miserable. She screamed for the latter part of the evening, finally fell asleep after tons of acrobatics on my part around 9, slept until midnight, and then was up almost every 20 minutes until I gave up when dd1 woke up around 6am. Ugh. Then the little stinker slept for 3 hours in the swing.

I have a method for coping with terrible sleep deprivation: method acting. I try to remember the last time I felt sane and well rested, and I act like that!
#87 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
A convertible carseat just means its good for more than one stage. Ds' carseat is goo from birth to 80lbs. It goes rear facing 'til 1yr and eventually turns into a booster seat. Here is the one we have as an example: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...50263?v=glance

Cheers!
lilgreen

ps - my blog with pics of Forrest: http://spaces.msn.com/members/hark2000/
#88 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 02:49 PM

:LOL :LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi
I have a method for coping with terrible sleep deprivation: method acting. I try to remember the last time I felt sane and well rested, and I act like that!
#89 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 02:54 PM

I'm a hyper maniac from lack of sleep. I find it harder to sleep when I don't get enough sleep myself.

Get this all you sleep curious mamas...The night we tried getting the baby to wake up **just a wee little bit** so she'd get used to falling asleep on her own was not a good night for any of us.

Then we let her pick her own bedtime (9pm) the next night. She then woke at about 12 or 1 and then again at 4 and then again at about 6. That's not horrible and was much better than the other night.

So, I guess we'll pick and choose what works for us from NCSS. I learned to have the baby nap more during the day and that she won't just fall asleep on her own during the day when a lot is going on. Those days are over! I thought she'd know when she needed to nap and would sleep but oh no!

I also learned it's a good idea to reduce activity, lighting and noise close to bedtime. DH did that last night and said she drifted right off.

I slept 3 hours last night. I'm not a complete wreck but then I don't have any commitments today either.
#90 of 449 Old 10-06-2005, 03:51 PM

this is kinda weird and i need input:

ds is pretty laidback - the first few wks I had to wake him to eat. then he settled into a pattern of nurse, awake time, and nap and pretty much does that in 1.5-2.5 hr intervals throughout the day, with 2 hrs being the average. he will go to sleep for the night around 9, i nurse him before I go to bed around 11, then he is up about 2x to eat and go back to sleep.

he has always been a 5 min nurser - at first b/c he was gassy from the dairy, now habit? jsut the way he is? who knows.

here is what concerns me - he is easy to get to nurse when he wakes up, but if he wakes and plays for a bit, he won't latch! he arches his back to get away from my boob. he will suck on a paci, but we don't give it to him very often at all - only if he is having trouble falling asleep (if he has eaten recently he won't nurse to sleep)

am I just paranoid and trying to make him nurse when he isn't hungry? he nursed at 12:30, it is 2:50 now, it's not like it's been that long. oy. perhaps he is ready to stretch out the nursing during the day? why dont' they come with a manual??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page