August 05 Mamma's -- October Chat!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 449 Old 10-08-2005, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Silly me didn't think to check for a new thread.... here I've been wondering why no one has posted to the first thread.... I must have dleivered all that I had left of brain cells with this baby.. :

So I don't have much time right now....I'll be back with an update.... but I need to know about the green stool??? Andrew has had it for a day.... and I recall DD2 had it also, but cannot remember the reason behind it. Can someone inform me asap?? Thanks!

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#122 of 449 Old 10-08-2005, 05:16 PM

OK, so I go through the trouble of writing a super long post and then I forget to subscribe to the thread! As my husband says, the babies sucked on my brains while I was pregnant.
#123 of 449 Old 10-08-2005, 06:49 PM

Katie-- Yes, the swaddler blanket has VERY loud velcro. The baby was sleeping great until I tried to put the blanket on her. The velcro woke her up and I had to start all over in getting her to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
I've heard that the velcro on the other brand (SwaddleMe?) is too noisy. Have you that used it or something like it been bothered by the velcro?

That said, we swaddled last night and the baby slept 7 hours. She only woke up because I woke her up to eat!!

I have not started to exercise yet as I only just started to feel normal this past week or so. I lost 23 ls the first week and now I'm at the weight I want to be, because I started out underweight. My hips are larger though -- still spread out from birthing -- and there's not much I can do about that. I have to buy new pants. I don't know if my hips will go back to their prev size or not. Anyone have a guess?

Another thing is that my boobs are 2 diff sizes. Ever since I had mastitis in the left breast (after reducing feeding from that one due to nipple soreness) the right one has been much larger. I'm trying to nurse more on the left to make it bigger. Life is weird.
#124 of 449 Old 10-08-2005, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
My mantra lately is "I'm burning 500 calories a day just breastfeeding".

What about wearing the baby? Anyone have an idea how much that burns? Honestly, carrying around an extra 12 pounds or so has to count for something.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#125 of 449 Old 10-08-2005, 09:42 PM

Swaddling -- the first night, Zoe slept 5 hrs straight! The second night she slept in 3-hr stretches, but the second night I did a poorer job w/the swaddling too. Thanks for the fleece idea - will definitely use that now that it's cooling off here. Right now I'm using a yard of fabric I bought last year when I was in quilting mode.

Z is behind me right now "talking" in her bouncy seat. Her older sister would not stand for being put down for very long...I admit it's nice to have a baby you can put down on occasion to do things like shower and go to the bathroom, lol.

Green poop = too much foremilk, not enough hindmilk.

Exercise....not doing it, really, except for occasional walks. I do plan to start running again in the spring but it gets so snowy here that I feel like starting now would just be silly. But maybe I'll start now anyway and see how things go. Any other runners on here? I will definitely need an, um, bigger jogbra, that's for sure.

Tandem nursing is going fine. I do wish DD1 would decide it's "just for babies"...I enjoy the closeness, but I have had to limit her nursing to 2 minutes per side or I start feeling skeeved out. I do think it has made the transition to having a little sister be relatively easy, though, so it's definitely worth it.

I'm hungry so I'm off to have a snack before heading for bed with Z.

Nancy

PS Deborah, my boobs have been 2 different sizes for 2 years now...I'll lyk if they ever equalize.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#126 of 449 Old 10-09-2005, 01:09 AM

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one not exercising! I try to go for walks wearing dd every once in a while, but other than that all I do is sit on by butt and nurse! As for 2 diff. sized breasts... Mine have always been uneven, but now that I'm nursing the diff. is accentuated. My lact. consult. said not to worry about it. I figure I have enough to worry about without that!
#127 of 449 Old 10-09-2005, 01:30 AM

Glad to have found everyone again...I have just read through the thread and welcome CarenSwan. So glad your little one is home with you. We spent the 1st week in the NICU. I think I'll always be a bit more protective of this guy. Big hugs to you!
From the old thread...search the yahoo groups for babywearing swap. Lots of great deals. I can't remember offhand the exact name of the group.
I can't believe how quickly time is going. I will be slowly going back to work here in a couple of weeks. I have 6 months maternity but can't take it all so I will be going back a day here and there and then probably 3 days a week for a couple of months. I am dreading it.
Jack is growing so quickly! Not sure what he weighs but he is really filling out his 3-6month clothes.
Nursing is coming along great. The pumping seems to really have paid off. I have been nursing him on demand and then pumping after. For a few weeks, whenever he nursed exclusively he had dry diapers. I gave him the EBM in a bottle after he was done nursing. I'm still pumping and doing the bottle thing but he can nurse all night now and for much of the day and keep the diapers getting wet.
We are loving our hotsling and I am learning new ways to hold him in it and nurse. I can't imagine not wearing him and keeping up with my oldest.
Still dealing with the separated pubic bone. Have not been able to sleep on my side for months. I can't wait to be back in my bed. The baby sleeps in my arms in a recliner all night. Looking forward to seeing the chiro Monday. Hopefully it will help with this. Will have the baby looked at also. Excited about that.
Anybody use the Mirena IUD? What do you think of it? Any hormonal side effects?
Too tired. off to sleep.
#128 of 449 Old 10-09-2005, 02:48 AM

green poo usually means too much foremilk. check on www.kellymom.com

I never did exercise before besides taking dd places. I really should start though. I need to!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#129 of 449 Old 10-09-2005, 11:05 AM

i need to start walking. all my big shorts and capris that fit are becoming not warm enough. i only have two long pants that fit now. ugggh. i don't want to buy interim clothes. i have about 20 lbs more to lose. i am not in a major rush, i just want some clothes ( off to the thrift stores )
tandeming is going well here too. DS1 is patient and nurses in the AM after waking up. the transition has been much easier i think. he is very good to his baby bro.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...d=836465558205

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...=1128866606263

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...=1128866606263

a few pics of the boys together and emmett solo

- kerri
#130 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 12:38 AM

I am too tired to scroll back and see if I post this yet or not so if I have, please forgive me.

Here's some photos. We're doing well, I'm just a bit sad, overwhelmed with the reality of down syndrome sitting on my heart and making me feel guilty and sad. I know it shouldn't but it's caught up with me.

Nathanael has gained up to 6 lbs 12 oz (he was 6 lbs 9 at birth, lost a lb and is now back up) phew, I can finally exhale.

He goes to the pediatrician's tomorrow so we'll see how much more he's gained. He doesn't look so much like a poor refugee now. His legs are starting to get something on them. happy happy is me.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a354/Aeriane/

Kitty
#131 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 01:21 AM

Back from the trip. CJ did so well in the car, although it helped to have one of us in the back with him. And he always makes it easy for Mama when we go to dinner or something. He slept the whole time I was getting my hair done (goodbye roots!) while my mom held him. Actually, my mom loved him up pretty much the whole weekend except for nursing and nighttime, so I was going through withdrawal and missing holding my baby!! But she doesn't get to see him much so I let her be grandma because it makes us all happy.

Did anyone answer the question about keeping them swaddled while nursing at night? Or did I miss it?

Yes, Kitty, your family is beautiful!! (you did already post the link but I loved looking at them again)

I don't want to hear you all whine about 10 more pounds to lose!!! :LOL
I told you my metabolism didn't read the books and research that said nursing would melt it off, and sure enough! I am exercising, strict with my diet (trying not to cut cals too much so as to not affect milk supply), nursing as much as I can get him to open his mouth, and I've got sooooo much to lose yet. Plus I was a little over my usual target weight when I got pregnant, so a long way to go. Fat burning vibes to me!!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#132 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 03:32 AM

we had a baby shower for sil on Saturday and all of mil's family was there so I totally get you on missing your baby. I only got to hold him when he was nursing. It was actually kind of nice in a way! I got to play almost a half of a Phase 10 game!

#133 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenSwan
It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one not exercising! I try to go for walks wearing dd every once in a while, but other than that all I do is sit on by butt and nurse! As for 2 diff. sized breasts... Mine have always been uneven, but now that I'm nursing the diff. is accentuated. My lact. consult. said not to worry about it. I figure I have enough to worry about without that!

: :LOL
#134 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 03:29 PM

Well, everyone is finally healthy for the moment at my house! We used some homeopathy, it really seemed to help!

Adriene: Your little guy is so cute! I know you said you were on some boards with other moms dealing with down's. I think that is the best thing is to be around others who have gone through what you are. Support makes all the difference!

Chiro Kristin: I am there with you trying to burn the fat! I rejoined weight watchers and have been losing about 1-2 pounds per week. I need to be accountable and count my points, too easy to "underestimate". I still have quite a bit to go, though.

I broke down and ordered a Miracle blanket. should be here tomorrow, I'll let everyone know how it works. Joshua seems to want to suckle all night and then cries when he starts to fall asleep and it falls out of his mouth. Driving me crazy, because I can't get any decent amount of sleep without being interrupted. Also ordered a pair of Robeez shoes to keep his feet warm now that cold weather is here!
#135 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 03:46 PM

famlife3 , I hope healing comes quickly for you. It sounds painful.

Aeriane, it could not possibly be your fault, be gentle with yourself. This baby is a gift and will teach you many things. I know you know that, and I understand the grief - I am in no way intending to diminish the feelings you have. I have no doubt you are a wonderful Mama.

to you both.

chiro_kristin, I nurse while he is swaddled and it works just fine. We are loving the swaddling, the quality of sleep is so much better now.

13 pounds 8 ounces at the (last!) midwife visit last Monday (8 weeks). We see the ped for a well baby visit today. I plan on letting her know that we won't be back until cold and flu season is over. Or ever if I can manage to find a ped I like.

My in-laws are in town this week - so far so good, there have only been a few questions (when are you going to give him a bottle, where does he sleep) and one coment about us not letting him cry (he just doesn't cry unless he is startled or in pain - his needs are met). Otherwise good - even with my BFing in public at the park yesterday! Colour me stunned!
#136 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 04:00 PM

grey has been congested the last few days, its made sleeping impossible.

My mom wants to come visit in a few weeks so now I'm stressing cause the house is a wreck. Its so hard to keep up with a newborn.

#137 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 05:08 PM

YIPEEEE!!! Nathanael had his well-baby visit today and he measured in at 7 lbs 7 oz!!! He was 6 lbs 7 at birth, lost down to 5 lbs 10 oz. He slowely gained here and there, was 6 lbs 12 oz last week and is now 7'7 I'm VERY happy! All is well with him andhe's busy snoozing the afternoon away. (wish >I< could hehehee).

Thanks for all the kind words, Kitty
#138 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 06:03 PM

Kitty - I am thinking of you. Just made a local friend w/a 1-year-old daughter who has Down's. So much to think about. have you been in touch w/Parent to Parent?

Glad Nathanael is getting big!

Nancy
nak as usual

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#139 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 06:21 PM

Kitty, congrats on the weight gain! My little one was 3.15 at birth and dropped to 3 1/2 (she was two mos. early) so I know all about counting those ounces! Now my little Clara is doing great (she must be almost 12 by now, or more) and I just wish I could lose some pounds as well as she's putting them on! Farmlife3, thanks for the welcome. I certainly feel more protective of Clara due to having to leave her in the NICU for so long... not protective in a worrying or hovering way, but protective in the sense of there is NO WAY I'm going to let her CIO and I so strongly want her on my body, day or night! We have to make up for lost time. Though my dh and I were with her every single day, we did have to sleep and there were hours each day when she was alone in her isolette. Everyone is commenting now on how well she's doing though, and I can't help but wonder how much it has to do with how much she's held and nursed. The same people who tell me not to nurse her so much or wear her all the time are the ones who are amazed at her growth.
#140 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 07:22 PM

Wow, Kitty, that's awesome weight gain!!!! Woo hoo!! Go Nathanael!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
#141 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 PM

Hello Ladies! My how time is flying...

Kitty-*hugs* to you Sweetie!

Kristin-I have a friend who didn't lose any weight until she stopped nursing. Then she lost 5 pounds in a month.

I just started exercising again. Walking in the house...lol. Starting out small with just a mile.

Well, have to get the kids ready for bed.
#142 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 09:12 PM

Kitty, that is wonderful news about the weight gain! i'm sorry that his downs is weighing on you. my cousin michelle has learning disabilities from birth and it is amazing what she has accomplished.she works for a federal agency in their mailroom and really loves what she is doing.

swaddling - we keep him swaddled when nursing at night. normally after he nurses around 5 or 6 he is in bed with me vs the co sleeper and not swaddled. he is so cute sleeping on his side.
#143 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 09:14 PM

oh yes, the boob sizes - my right is smaller than the left. i never noticed a diff until dd was 6 mo old - perhaps b/c i am lefthanded i preferred the left? anyway, it consistently produced more milk than the right one. once dd weaned and i was pregnant i didn't notice a diff. the size diff was back once ds was about a month old.
#144 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 11:21 PM

I'm going nuts. Baby was sucking me for 5 hours tonight. Is this normal? I want to do something with my life besides sit on the couch and 5 hours seems like a lot. I mean, I had little breaks to get water and pee...but mostly she was on me for those 5 hours.

To top it off, she's 6 wks old and only 7 lbs 13 oz. I really hope the scale at the mw's was wrong. When we weighed her at the ped's on 9-13, she was 7 lbs 6 oz or something close to that.

She's smiling and doing other things that 6 weekers do and looks healthy as a horse...she's just very small.

The mw today said that the ped might want me to supplement.

I don't know how to get her to nap. Does anyone have ideas? Surely, there's a better idea than nursing her down? She falls asleep at the boob and then wakes up with gas and burping after nursing.

We had a wonder 5.5 hours of sleep last night. But no naps all day long today -- just a few min here and there. She's bright eyed and bushy tailed all day and I'm a wreck...plus I'm sick and am not able to lie in bed and rest and get better because she doesn't want to stick around in the bedroom. sigh.

I'm missing my old life today. That's for sure. I miss being able to take good care of myself. I'm tired of crying and not knowing what the heck it means...I don't want to do FT day care for at least a year but 6 months is looking better because I already need a break! I feel like a bad mom saying that but it's how I'm feeling.
#145 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

henhao - s I totally understand what you are going through and you are definitely NOT a bad mom. I used to beg my hubby to watch my first baby so I could just run to the grochery store for a minute--and boy that couple of minutes felt like heaven.

My first son was a lot like that. I swear that he would have sucked on my boobs all day long. I actually had to take him off to do anything--my life consisted of sitting on the couch nursing and clumsily attempting to do things with baby attached. It does get better. The 5 hour nurse probably means she is trying to increase your supply. That's what happened to us, he would constantly nurse for a while and then go back to a 2-3 hour spread and then back to the marathon, and so forth. Off and on the marathon feedings for the first year of life, or until he got interested in solids.

Hope I'm not being too nosey, but are you eating enough? I know when I am breastfeeding I need to eat a lot (at the very least every 2 hours) or my supply goes down. Oatmeal and protien are great at building your milk, and I don't limit good fats because babies need it.

Hope things get better for you!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#146 of 449 Old 10-10-2005, 11:46 PM

Hi everyone. I just wanted to stop in and say hello. I'm really bad with keeping up with threads, but I do like to read them and I try to post when I can.

I can't believe Adelaide is almost 10 weeks old now. It blows my mind. She's a happy little one, but she needs to be held or in the sling most of the day to acheive that effect. I can't complain about the nights though...last night she slept for 12 hours, waking up 4 times to nurse. Crazy. I almost feel wired about how well she sleeps at night, because it doesn't seem to be normal, but then I tell myself I'm crazy and that as far as "problems" go it's the best one to have.

henhao...hang in there. I too have found myself missing my former life at times. The best advise I've gotten so far is that the babies move through these early stages so fast. Just when you think you can't take it anymore, a few more days pass and then you're into a new stage. And everyone needs a break sometimes!!! Can you escape and take a bath or even just walk around the block when your partner is home? Snatch those precious minutes when you can and don't feel guilty about doing it!

Take good care,
sandra

Sandra + Jeremy keepin' it real with Adelaide (2005) and Watson (2008)
#147 of 449 Old 10-11-2005, 12:22 AM

henhao, it sounds like it may be the secong growth spurt. They come every 2-3 weeks.

We weighed Grey tonight and he's 13lbs. Seems like he's gaining about 3/4lb a week. dd was a pretty fast gainer too. Her doc joked that I made cream instead of milk.

#148 of 449 Old 10-11-2005, 12:31 AM

Thank you. We got her to sleep with a lot of nursing and swaddling. I didn't want to get into this habit of nursing to sleep but it's what is working these days.

You aren't being too nosy. I'm probably not eating enough. That's a verrrrry good question, my dear Sherlock Holmes. In the past week, I've started to eat oatmeal and drink fenugreek tea. I want to get some fenugreek tablets...Ironically, I find it very hard to eat when a baby is on me constantly! When DH is here, he brings me whatever I want but it's hard to eat when I'm here alone.

Someone told me to eat coconut and avocado to increase the fat in my milk. It can't hurt to try that, so I'll do that as well.

hh

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123
Hope I'm not being too nosey, but are you eating enough? I know when I am breastfeeding I need to eat a lot (at the very least every 2 hours) or my supply goes down. Oatmeal and protien are great at building your milk, and I don't limit good fats because babies need it.
#149 of 449 Old 10-11-2005, 01:26 AM

Deborah - I agree about your eating and also about the growth spurt. CJ is going through one right now also, can't seem to get enough of the boob, making me a bit raw again. Our babes are the same age so I wouldn't be surprised if Olive is also. But otherwise I know exactly how you feel - hard to do dishes, do laundry, make the bed, go get groceries, exercise, do something "just for me." But in hindsight, it is getting a little easier every week. A little. But everytime I look at that sweet smile, or get his slobbery kisses that he loves to give, or feel him melt into me after being fussy for everybody else... it helps me sit on the couch for a little while longer, helps me stand and rock him when my arms are tired. I'm holding on to "it somehow gets way easier with the second child!"

Sandra - good to hear from you!

#150 of 449 Old 10-11-2005, 01:34 AM

henhao -

If by chance you DO need to supplement, Sally Fallon has a great formula recipe in her book, Nourishing Traditions - we made it for our first son and he THRIVED on it. Better than anything else we tried. We used kefir instead of raw milk and still achieved that effect. It's also on the Weston A Price Foundation website if you want to find it without finshing the book.

Good luck, Mama - you will find your groove, I know it.

In other news, Kiernen was 13 lbs 13 ounces today at the ped. I let them know that we wouldn;t be back until March when cold and flu season is over. That will give me time to find someone else, too, if I can. :

We are loving the swaddling - did I mention that? Kiernen is waking himself up so much less frequently now, not being able to flail his arms. He doesn't seem to mind having better rest, either. He's still having his growth spurt, too, so has been nursing a lot. So I'm spending my days on the sofa, but I don't mind. Although I would like to exercise one of these days.

I'm thinking of starting WW again but man, can there even be enough points allowed to sate my appetite lately? I just cannot stop being hungry! I guess the only way to know is to try. And do the points allow for the good fats for baby? I know veggies are free, so that's a good thing. But trail mix, which is my snack of choice, can be high in calories, all the nuts...

Sorry, just thinking out loud

But I'd really like to lose some of this weight. This belly is just too much, and I was fat to begin with, so it makes it that much worse.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page