Projectile vomiting in newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2005, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My milk came in today and my two-day-old baby has been nursing well. Just now, though, he projectile vomited across the room. I've never seen anything like that, and it freaks me out. It was incredibly forceful. Why would that happen and what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Banned

To my knowledge, projectile vomiting in a nursing baby (as long as everything else is fine, temp good, output good etc) has to do with an allergy...perhaps something you are eating that your little one is not taking too well to... one of the biggest culprits is dairy. I would try an elimination diet. Congrats to you on your new baby!!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 PM

Was it just the one time, or is it every time he eats? There is a serious condition that relates to a bowel obstruction, I think, but it would be every time he nurses.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:21 PM

Congratulations Mama!

My dd projectile vomited 2xs so far (she's almost 5wks). I know sometimes this can just happen, no worries. I think there was a hiccup behind hers to add to the force.

However, if it keeps happening, I'd call your LC...don't freak out though. I'm sure he's fine.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:34 PM

Have you considered reflux ? My friend's baby has reflux and projectile vomiting was one of her symptoms.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:38 PM

dd was breastfed (until 3 yrs!) and projectile vomited often due to reflux.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:40 PM

at this point, just watch and wait. it could be just normal, it could be overactive milk letdown/ ejection reflex, it could be reflux, it could be food sensitivities, it could be a sign of something bigger like pyloric stenosis. see here for more info: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

make an appointment with a lactation consultant. some private ones do home visits so you don't even need to go to them. they have tons of training and know what to look for in each of the above situations and should be able to help you determine if it's something you need to get a physician involved with.

sending you hugs...

warmly,
claudia
Old 10-22-2005, 12:32 AM

My baby did this at one point; I called the ped because it was so forceful. She said that as long as it wasn't more than the one time, it was probably a big ol' gas bubble, but to keep a weather eye out for a while, just in case.

It's scary, isn't it?

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
Old 10-22-2005, 07:42 AM

Both my kids did this. My DS did it until he was about 5 or 6 months, DD until she was maybe 3 months. They were never in pain, so I just assumed it was due to a forceful let down and breastmilk that was so super-yummy that they couldn't stop nursing even though they were full. They both gained weight very well (they were both back at their birthweight by 5 days old and 20 lbs by 4 months) so I was never remotely worried. I never even brought it up to their ped.

My niece had reflux, and in addition to the vomiting, she was also in a lot of pain and was often inconsolable. She had to sleep upright in the carseat at night or she'd scream from the pain.

The worst thing about it for me was that spoiled milk all over my clothes. I know breastmilk is all natural and sweet and all that, but when my clothes end up sopping wet from a forceful vomit, it's not really pleasant! I had to throw them in the washer ASAP b/c I couldn't stand the smell of the spoiled milk!
Old 10-22-2005, 05:58 PM

My ds did that too. It seemed to me that he did it mostly when he overate. He would suck my boob non sotp for hours, so naturally he would swallow more milk then he could handle - and out it came! It went away around 2 month of age.

User Tag List