Anyone else have a "grunter"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2005, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 20 day old ds grunts all the time. Well, a lot of the time. Just wondering if other babies do this - is it normal baby communication? Or, is he hurting?

I'm thinking it is just his little way of communicating, but curious about other babies.

THanks!

--Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 01:08 PM

Hi!
My dd used to do this all the time! In fact, she still does when she is concentrating! As long as it doesn't sound like your dc is in pain - like grunting because of trying to poo - it is probably just a way they are communicating with you!
Old 10-24-2005, 02:33 PM

I thought all b/f babies grunted until my LC made a cute remark about it and I asked and she said not all b/f babes do, but her's did My kids grunt sosoooooo loud and frequently when young it's . Ppl always think they are trying to go to the bathroom or something, when actually they just grunt alot. The older they got the less they did it. But when very small like yours they would grunt anytime they were touched while they were asleep. Or as they were starting to rouse from sleep when it was feed time. I would just listen for grunting from the bassinette when it was night time and that's when they were ready to eat again I think its sweet.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Banned

We have a little grunter too! We even call her "Grunty Grunterson" sometimes... I know, we are cheesy...
Now that she is able to express herself a bit more, I find her grunting is now a "warning" for us...lol... that we had better take care of something she wants/needs before she will cry! It is hilarious sometimes though, because she will do this really long grunt that seems to go on forever, and dh and I wonder how she holds it for so long!

She never seems to be upset or in pain though...we think it's funny...
Old 10-24-2005, 04:19 PM

mine grunts when i look at him during nursing...i think he wants privacy
Old 10-24-2005, 04:21 PM

got a grunter here! i think she just likes the new sound she discovered

nak
Old 10-24-2005, 04:55 PM

My sister called her ds Hnter Grunter b/c that's what he was. In his case, though, he grunted b/c of pain. He had silent reflux and a really bad case of it. All of my babies were grunters, but it was usualy when they had gas or were trying to poop. Ds3 has reflux and he grunts a lot more often, but you can really tell he's uncomfortable when he does it.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:16 PM

DS grunts when he's pooping, mainly. It's not like he's straining, he just likes to have a sound effect to go along with it.

He used to grunt just for fun, but lately he's really found his voice. And in this empty, echo'y house, he's having a great time with the screaming.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 PM

Another grunter here! It's nice to hear that other people's babies are doing this too. When I mentioned it to several other people they'd never heard of it. DD(6wks) grunts all the time. For no particular reason. Although as someone else said, it can sometimes serve as a bit of a warning. If she's grunting in her sleep for instance, I know it's only a matter of time before she wakes up. If she's grunting while we're having play time then I need to change up what we're doing.

I also find that if I talk to her while we're nursing, she grunts and starts to whip her head around. I think she doesn't want to be bothered while nursing. That doesn't happen everytime though. Only when she's in a fiesty mood.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

User Tag List