Baby wakes up crying/screaming - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-01-2005, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4-month old recently started on occasion waking up from naps and nighttime sleep crying/screaming as if she is in pain, and picking her up rarely calms her. What could be going on with her:

- bad dreams: I don't think it's bad dreams because her cries are too pain-like

- gassiness: could it be gassiness starting this late in the game? I haven't started eating anything new as far as I can remember. But if it is gas, what to do about it? Pumping her legs...anything else?

- stools: her stools are fine, no temperature, her general mood is very, very good.

- teething: I can't see anything coming up and her gums aren't swollen

What else could it be?

Thanks for your help
#2 of 5 Old 11-01-2005, 02:09 AM

Ooops...double post. Deleting this one. See two posts down.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#3 of 5 Old 11-01-2005, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Silent reflux?
#4 of 5 Old 11-01-2005, 02:10 AM

That started happening with my dfs around the 4 or 5 month mark. It was almost 100% of the time for a while there. Things seemed to have slowed now. He is 6 1/2 months and wakes up screaming/crying only about 50-60% of the time. He does usually calm down a minute or two after we pick him up, especially if we smile really big and start talking with him in a cheerful voice while distracting him with something fun, but on occassion he keeps on going for several minutes.

Around the same time it started happening, someone else with a baby about the same age posted this same question. Lots of folks had suggestions-- gas, reflux (he does have reflux), teething (he did start not long before he began teething for the first time...but then again, it has gotten better over time even though recently he was cutting 4 teeth at one time!), bad dreams, etc. Unfortunately, we never were able to nail down exactly what was happening in a consistent manner with the crying and what would fix it.

I'm glad it is slowing down. Since it seems common around this age, I wonder if it is teething related or maybe just related to the frustration of this developmental stage. They are learning so much, and at the same time, still so limited in terms of mobility. The cries sound more like pain cries than frustration, but I just wonder...

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#5 of 5 Old 11-01-2005, 02:54 AM

What about night terrors? My dd got these for awhile when she was 3-4 months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page