<< November Chat for August '05 mamas >> - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 326 Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys crack me up with the jammies/messy hair/baby puke images. I was somewhere the other day when Annabelle spit up a bit on herself and me. Someone asked me if I wanted a towel or something, and I just laughed and rubbed it into the fabric! Isn't that what we all do?

We are slowly getting into EC. BTW - something I thought I'd never do as it seems just too hard and high maintenance. It's remarkably easy for poo (she's very vocal), but not for pee, so I'm just ECing her after waking and nursing. Well, she just peed on me while she was nursing and gave me a BIG smile : . However, I find that the more she's naked, the more intolerant she's becoming of her diapers. Talk about creating a monster.....The good thing is that dh is on board. He saw something on TV in his hotel room this week about EC and he called me to talk about it. That's pretty cool, huh?

At the same time, Annabelle seems to be opening up more (both literally with her hands and figuratively). I'm feeling more and more connection between us as she tunes in more to her world. It's lovely. She's also having more success with thumb sucking and she's happier because of it.

Thanks everyone for the pump and bottle info. On my shopping list for this week.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#122 of 326 Old 11-09-2005, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=fiddledebiHowever, I know that once Samara's down to nursing a few times a day, my sex drive will return along with my natural lube, and then WATCH OUT DH! [/QUOTE]

nak cute pics...

when do they start nursing only a few times per day?
#123 of 326 Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracious
...on that, anyone know about using goats milk as a supplement?
First,HUGS to you...

Are you going to add anything to the goat's milk? When I researched using formula, I found out that there's a lot of vitamins and oils/fats that are needed to noursish the baby. Some of the fats are imp for brain development. Right now, I'm using the soy version of Nature's One. It doesn't have corn syrup, and it's organic.

Are you working with an LC? An LC can help you supp without losing your milk.... You know my story from the low supply tribe, probably, but I'd be happy to share with you what I did. If you don't have a health prob, I bet you'd have a good chance of increasing your milk. I know you saw that post from alegna with suggestion about nursing in bed with the babe for 3 days straight, etc. Do all of that that you can handle.

Supplemeting is no walk in the park and I cried my eyes out, too. But formula was made for messed up situations like ours and plenty of FF'd babies have turned into fine human beings.
#124 of 326 Old 11-09-2005, 05:26 PM

deborah - my dd julia started nursing a few times a day around 18 mo i think. I got pregnant with Adrian then and she was nursing 5x a day, but VERY quick at that age - 5 min at a time.
#125 of 326 Old 11-09-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao
Depends upon how many solids you give them and when. My Nathan really went nuts eating when I started him on solids and between 11-13 months old he would only nurse about 3-4 times a day at the most, and then he totally lost interest by 18 months when he stopped nursing. I consider it self-weaning, but some would say that it wasn't self-weaning because I stopped offering it.

Holy cow, I don't check this thread for one day and there's two whole new pages!

Cute baby pics!!

Gracious - s Sorry about your milk supply. Hope you can get it up. I'm not sure about goats milk as a supplement, you may have to add other ingredients...someone had a link to a recipe on here once??

hopefulfaith - glad the CT went well! So the results were good?

Carrie - I had to do 6 hour block feedings to get supply/letdown under some control. It helped a little bit, but my supply didn't regulate until he started sleeping better at night. Now I just had to get it back up after being sick, it took two days to get it back up enough to satisfy him, but my letdown is still heavy on the right side no matter what I do. He will still get mad at me if he is eating on the right side and gets all sprayed, guess he's just going to have to live with it.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#126 of 326 Old 11-09-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Well, DD1 was down to about 4 times a day by a year. She did love her solid food by then, and was eating it three times a day, so I'm sure that helped. I have friends whose kids didn't like solids as much, and nursed more often at that age. It was just a week shy of her first birthday that my period came back. That was such a HUGE surprise -- I kind of had forgotten about menstruation, and was caught off-guard out of town. I remember the shocked look on my (now ex-) sister in law's face when I asked her if I could borrow a tampon and some underwear!

Anyway, right around then, I started actually wanting sex again, and it started to feel good again. It's all hormonal, truly. That's why neither DH or I are terribly upset by the lack of libido this time -- we KNOW it will come back, and that when it does, it will be fabulous again.

And also, YMMV, but DD1 did not stop nursing even though she loved her solids. She kept nursing until she was 22 months old, and it was so gradual and gentle -- she just spread out her nursing sessions from 1-3x a day, to once a day, to every few days, to once or twice a week, and then one day it had been 3 weeks since she asked, and I told her I was empty. She accepted it with no fuss or apparent trauma. I'm so glad it went the way it did!
#127 of 326 Old 11-09-2005, 07:38 PM

Do you all think that it's okay that Kiernen is three months tomorrow and he has yet to roll over? Other than from his side to his back, I mean. He just hates tummy time and always wants to be held, so he hasn't exactly had lots of opportunities to learn to roll over. He is much more interested in learning to sit up, it seems. But I know that tummy time is important to their development, too. Also he won't reach for anything really, other than my hand when I'm changing his diaper or when he's nursing. He is completely disinterested in toys other than the "busy bugs" that are hanging from his pumpkin seat (in the car). But he still doesn't try and reach for them, he just watched them intently.

Am I being overly concerned you think?
#128 of 326 Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 PM

nak

my older dd rolled over about once in her life -- she hated tummy time. she seems to have developed just fine regardless

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#129 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 12:25 AM

Johnathan is 3mo and doesn't roll over either, and he hates being on his tummy. But I guess I don't blame him, I'd be mad if someone was forcing me to do pushups! Nathan hated tummy time as well, but he eventually got desparate enough to crawl.

re: spitting up. We do the splat, drip, blech, belch, squirt thing too. I have about given up on trying to keep my clothes spit free. I change frequently and he is almost never dry. I go through almost every bib I own and about half his clothes every day because he can't keep his food down. Also, I think he is in early teething because he has a constant drool drip going on. Thank heavens for wood floors--splats clean up well!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#130 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 12:30 AM

No rolling over for Andrew who will be three months in two days. I didn't even know rolling over was a milestone for 3 months.... and this is my third baby in three years. No worries, Mama... they have a way of doing everything at their own pace.

I seriously feel I have lost a large part of my mind.... tonight DH and I were sitting in front of the TV and all the sudden heard the answering machine out of the blue w/out the phone ringing.... so we went on this 20 minute hunt for the phone and couldn't find it. I talked to my sister around 5pm, and I remembered I was in the kitchen, so I told DH it had to be in the kitchen. He pushes the "page" button to make it beep so we could find it....and I followed the noise to the phone.... in the freezer.
I hung up with my sister and put the phone in the freezer.

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#131 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 01:45 AM

Becca, that's priceless!
#132 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Becca! That's hysterical!! It sums up our plight perfectly.

I burnt the kitchen floor yesterday by setting a hot oven rack on it while attempting to make a pie. Don't even ask why I was doing that...the real question is...why was I even attempting to bake a pie???? Thank goodness it's a really old crappy floor.

We all have a cold over here. Little Mr. O cried all afternoon and had a slightly high temp so I guess he has it too. He looked at me with such a pleading little face like he wanted me to make him feel better and I couldn't!!! He slept in my arms most of the day, poor baby.

No rolling over here either at almost 12 weeks. I though rolling came a bit later... He also hates tummy time so I don't do it too often. He has to hold his head up quite a bit in my arms or the sling. Good enough.

Chasmyn...I know what you mean with the worrying about development though! I was freaked out about Owen's lack of smiling but it's kicking in now. He's also not reaching for things too much. I know he wants to...but the coordination is just not there yet. Sounds like your baby is perfect and you are perfectly normal for worrying. I have to tell you that I think you are an absolute hero for having another baby after what you went through with your little sweetheart Quinn. Bless you!!!!

Night everybody!!
#133 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 AM

Oh my word, these stories are great!..makes me feel better about my own mishaps!

Henhao:
Thanks so much for your advice! I'm happy to have another low supply momma on this thread! You are having sucess with everything right? I thought I had read you seemed to be getting more...
...did your babe ever want the bottle more then the breast? I'm so afraid of that happening.
We're actually meeting with an LC tomarrow. She was our babes nurse when she was in the NICU. I'm really hoping for some good advice. Thanks for the support!!!
#134 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 11:24 AM

I have to tell you that I think you are an absolute hero for having another baby after what you went through with your little sweetheart Quinn. Bless you!!!!

Chasmyn - my sentiments exactly. I've read your journey with Quinn and was so moved. I imagine that he is so proud of the two of you for wanting to be parents again.

Now, I've got to brag on my girl . We just began ECing this week. I wasn't thinking we'd have much success right away, just wanted to try it out, KWIM? Anyway, Annabelle is really enjoying it and peeing and pooping in the potty or sink with most cues! Last night she slept for 8.5 hours and woke up dry! Yesterday she stayed dry after a 2.5 hour nap too. Wow! I never would have believed how easy ECing is. I highly recommend it.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#135 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracious
We're actually meeting with an LC tomarrow. She was our babes nurse when she was in the NICU. I'm really hoping for some good advice. Thanks for the support!!!
GOOD! I'm so glad yr meeting with an LC. DD had no trouble with the bottle/breast. However, DD REALLY likes the breast; I think that's one reason that our LC felt comfortable with DD taking bottles as opposed to SNS. DD feels very comfy there. I think she'd be happy sucking and getting nothing from the breast, so I have to do a lot of compression and keep an eye on her swallowing the whole time. She could hang out at the boob all day. I guess that'll change when she starts interacting more with the outside world.

If I don't want her on me 24-7, I have to delatch her and then she'll look around at people, etc and smile. It's as though she forgets there's a world out there.
#136 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 11:30 AM

Hey all--

I have new photos from October... See my sig!

Thanks for the info on when the nursing slows down. I know I'll feel bittersweet about it. Drives me crazy AND I like it.

Oh, I know what you all mean about losing the mind. I could not think of the word "progressive" the other day. Thank god I was talking with another mom, so she understood completely.

The phone in the freezer is hilarious! Sounds like me. LOL

hh
#137 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 01:58 PM

All right, I'm joining the ranks of the brain dead! I got on the bus to catch my train today, musing on how nice it was to just be carrying my work bag and not a diaper bag, baby in sling, toddler in hand, etc.

Hey wait.

Just my bag? Shouldn't there be something else?

Oh yeah. BOTTLES. What the heck was I going to pump into at work today? I left my cooler with bottles in it at home. I had to run into Walgreens and buy a box of milk storage bags. Thank goodness I had one medela bottle in the office, since Walgreens didn't carry any bottles that would fit on my pump! *sigh* So, now I have a bag in the fridge at work with two cups in it, each holding a gerber storage bag filled with milk. Don't ask me how I'm going to get them home on the train and bus tonight. I'll figure it out by then, right?
#138 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 02:16 PM

Thanks so much, Adrienne and Kate - that means a lot.

And I'm with you all on the Mommybrain thing. I forget everything, am so abent-minded, cannot form coherent sentences among other adults.

Kiernen has been getting me out of bed earlier and earlier this week. I used to be able to keep us there until noon so I could get a semi decent amouny of sleep - now he has me out at 7-7:30 and we're not onlt not going to bed any earlier, we're also nursing and waking more frequently. Last night it was all I could do to wake myself enough to get a breast in his mouth (and keep it there) and get DH to change his diaper at the same time (our little assembly line). I was so dead tired I barely managed it, which of course means he wakes up more thoroughly and is more difficult to get back to sleep. Thus my being up so early today.

I am going to try hard to get a nap in today ... after he has his morning poop, I think. I just don't think I'll make it otherwise. I'm that kind of tired that makes a person feel nauseous and get headaches. Zzzzzzzz.....
#139 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 02:30 PM

well, we are doing our own boot camp here per the ibclc - no more syringe feeding and nursing in sleep, whenever he roots/eats his hands, we are trying to get him to nurse. mainly he and i skin to skin and me dribbling milk on my nipple. i hate to see the poor guy cry, but it is kinda working - he nursed at 9:30 and 11:30 a bit without me putting him to sleep. he still wants to nurse tons more, so i hope he gets it soon.

gracious, best of luck upping your supply!
#140 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Gracious: I'm a low supply mama too, and we are in a total train wreck. Yes, DS immediately wanted the bottle and started refusing the breast. Be VERY careful with the bottle. Please use an SNS to supplement if you can. Or a finger-feeder. Or a cup. Pump to get your supply up, but keep him at the breast at all costs! Easier said than done when your baby is not gaining weight. My baby hasn't taken the breast in well over a month, and my supply is now so low that I can only pump about 2-3 oz a day.

Ok...this leads me to my next question. I wouldn't ask this on the regular boards for fear of getting slammed. But you are nice mamas who know me so...

If you were me, would you stop pumping at this point, or keep going until the breasts are totally dry?

I wish more than anything that I could turn back time and change a few things. It may have turned out the same because Owen has a really weird mouth, but I would have tried so much harder and sought out more support to keep him on the breast. Alright...you've heard enough of my angst on this topic. I want to stop pumping since we are getting so little milk, but I am desperate for him to get the immunities/other good stuff from milk. Waaaaaaaaa....
#141 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Hey all--

I have new photos from October... See my sig!
I get this message when I try and see them:

"Album Not Found

The link you are using is no longer valid. If this link was sent to you in an email and you would like to view the photos, you will need to contact the album owner and have them share the album using the Gallery's share feature."
#142 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Gracious: I'm a low supply mama too, and we are in a total train wreck. Yes, DS immediately wanted the bottle and started refusing the breast. Be VERY careful with the bottle. Please use an SNS to supplement if you can. Or a finger-feeder. Or a cup. Pump to get your supply up, but keep him at the breast at all costs! Easier said than done when your baby is not gaining weight. My baby hasn't taken the breast in well over a month, and my supply is now so low that I can only pump about 2-3 oz a day.

Ok...this leads me to my next question. I wouldn't ask this on the regular boards for fear of getting slammed. But you are nice mamas who know me so...

If you were me, would you stop pumping at this point, or keep going until the breasts are totally dry?

I wish more than anything that I could turn back time and change a few things. It may have turned out the same because Owen has a really weird mouth, but I would have tried so much harder and sought out more support to keep him on the breast. Alright...you've heard enough of my angst on this topic. I want to stop pumping since we are getting so little milk, but I am desperate for him to get the immunities/other good stuff from milk. Waaaaaaaaa....
Okay, forgive my asking, but I have to...Are you eating enough? Eating oatmeal? Taking fenugreek/drinking that nasty Mother's Milk tea? Have you tried Reglan to get the supply up (a prescription, usually for reflux but it used for increasing supply).

Now, all of that asked (you don't have to answer either, it was just for thought in case there was something that hadn't been tried, which at this point I'm sure there isn't.)

With Quinn. his heart was too weak for him to nurse or even bottle-feed. He was tube-fed. I pumped for six months, but even with all of that "help" (I didn't know about oatmeal or eating more), my body knew the difference and I was never able to pump more than 1 oz at a time, I forget how many times a day. Obviously not enough. So we did what we had to - we supplemented. He still had an amazingly difficult time gaining weight - all of that extra load on the heart made is already fast metabolism even faster.

And one day I found Sally Fallon, the Weston A. Price Foundation's website, and a recipe for formula that didn't make me cringe. We started using it and Quinn THRIVED on it - for the first time ever, he was GAINING weight. It was amazing, and we felt good about it because we made it ourselves, so we knew what was going into it and it was always fresh. I HIGHLY recommend their recipe - we used kefir instead of raw milk and it worked wonderfully. Once you get used to making it, it doesn't even take much effort - we just kept the directions posted in the kitchen so we could at a glance see what we needed.

So my thought, to answer your original question, is pump as much as you feel is necessary - as long as you feel like it's worth it. There are better options than formula out there. The recipe, BTW, is right on the WAP website. Also in Sally Fallon's cookbook, "Nourishing Traditions".
#143 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 04:53 PM

henhao, I also haven't been able to get into your photo page, but I would love to see pics!

to gracious--know that you're doing the best thing for your babe to get her the nutrients she needs. That's great that you've enlisted a LC. I had an awesome LC when we were in the NICU for a month, and I am in debt for her for helping me establish such a good breastfeeding relationship with my tiny preemie.

About rolling over... not yet here either. I feel like it might be soon, or not for a while. I think she could go either way. As pp said, she's not on the floor all that much.

We survived our trip to Indianapolis... Clara was stellar on the plane! I was a little harried, but in reality, I think it's probably a lot easier to travel with an infant than a toddler.

There are some new pics on my blog if anyone is interested! (See signature). Got to run...

Caren
#144 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 06:05 PM

Congratulations ktmama....That is so exciting, about your EC success.

I have been trying it since she was born, and Angela was so good about going for me, initially, but we seem to have hit a lull. I haven't let her really go diaperless, for awhile, though...maybe that is what I need to do, again. I have actually ordered Ingrid Bauer's book, on Amazon, but it seems they are holding my shipment, so I am not sure when it is going to arrive. (I ordered a bunch of books, and selected free shipping...) I am bummed, as I really think I need some encouragement.

Angela is 13 weeks old today (officially 3 months by the calendar tomorrow), and she is not rolling over either....I don't think my boys rolled over until they were around 4 months, anyway, so I wasn't concerned... She is cooing so sweetly, though. It is very sweet to see my 5 yo ds dote on her...he sings to her, and tells her she is the sweetest baby girl in the whole world!

I wish I could offer some help (or milk) to you mamas with low supply. I definitely have plenty, and pumping occasionally is fine, too. Anyway, I am sending you hugs.

And I wish all I had done was stuck a phone in the freeezer. Instead, I put the Ben and Jerry's NYSuper Fudge Chunk in the refrigerator, which wasn't discovered until the next morning. We refroze it...it was still edible, but wasn't that thick smooth creamy texture that I love. (I have decided that if I am going to have ice cream, I am only going to have the best!...no more breyer's, publix or edy's for me)

Maury
#145 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oandc'smom
(I have decided that if I am going to have ice cream, I am only going to have the best!...no more breyer's, publix or edy's for me)

Maury
I hate to burst your bubble, but B and J's is owned now by
Edy's. If you read the ingredients you'll find things like partially hydrogenated oils and locust bean gum, too. They used to be my favourite, too, until they sold out. Edy's skimps on the ingredients to save a few bucks.
#146 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 06:24 PM

For those in my neck of the woods, the ultimate no-holds-barred high-octane ice cream is Berkshire Farms. Their ginger ice cream... well, it's probably illegal in some states.

But I'm currently dairy free.
#147 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Oh ice cream- I remember it well..... I am diary free right now because when I eat it , Emmett throws up all over himself and me. Ugggh. I am doing the rice milk, goat cheese, etc. It isn't so bad, but I do miss having a pint of ice cream with my DH.
Anyone dealing with plugged ducts and/or mastitis. I have a plugged duct now and my Dh just went to get some Belladonna and other homeopathics for me. It is red and sore, but no significant fever yet. I am prone to it I guess. It happened with both babes, but it is better and less frequent with this new babe.
I exercised a couple of night ago and it felt awesome physically and emotionally. I so need to get my body in gear. I am aiming for twice a week.
Oh- my dry spell ended too. It was way better than I expected and even though I had third degree tearing, it was more than OK. I have healed remarkably well. My DH and I are going to try to have date night every MOnday. We really need to connect that way, because the week is so busy and sometimes we don't even sleep in the same bed because I am with baby and he is with toddler. Anyway, it was fun and nice and a great reminder of my attraction and love for him.
Ok- not much else. I am getting blood taken tomorrow for my thyroid. Just a little reminder that alot of women have erratic thyroids after pp. If you are feeling extra shitty and can't put a finger on it, you might want to get a blood test. I was surprised how off my TSH levels were. The symptoms can kind of mimic ppd.
That is all. I am enjoying this thread so much.
- Kerri
#148 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 07:21 PM

kerri, taking soya lecithin regularl can help preven those clogged ducts
#149 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 PM

I knew about B&J selling out...a good friend used to work for them...but they still have a much richer, creamier flavor. I guess I better watch out for all the additives, though.

Fortunately, angela doesn't seem to have much trouble with anything I eat...at least she doesn't vocally complain. I'll have to pay more attention to when she spits up, though, to see if there is a pattern...It doesn't seem bad, but maybe she just doesn't complain.
#150 of 326 Old 11-10-2005, 10:48 PM

B&J's is good......additives and all, lol. We can get "seconds" in VT that didn't pass inspection for one reason or another (too many peanut butter cups, for example)....they have all tasted great regardless.

Well, DD1 may not get chicken pox...the friend we "exposed" her to just got diagnosed with impetigo rather than cp. Guess we will have to wait 2.5 weeks and see if DD1 breaks out with cp or not to be really sure though.

Kerri - I totally agree w/you on the exercise. And good for you about breaking the dry spell.

I just can't get over how much I'm enjoying Zoe. She's just so snuggly and cute and smiley and edible. DD1 is now saying she wants a baby brother, lol, and right now I could almost be convinced that we should try for one. DH sez no way though.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page