carseats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2005, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you have to use an infant seat or can you go right into a convertable infant/toddler seat?

I think i want to buy a new one instead of using the one a coworker gave me that has been used. what's good? i think britax will probably be to much money. any help would be great thanks.

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2005, 01:09 PM

A convertible seat will work just fine- I've been hearing good things about some of the evenflo seats. You might want to check them out.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 11-12-2005, 01:12 PM

Personally I'd get an infant car seat. I just moved DS (5 months, 18 lbs, 26") to a Britax Wizard convertable and I can just barely get the harness straps tight enough. I know the Britax can be used for 5-65 pounds, but I have no idea how you'd get a good fit with a smaller baby.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:41 PM

It's worth it to get an infant car seat and then switch later. We switche to the Britax Marathon around 5 mo (DS was a big kid). The infant car seat is so handy to use as a carrier, and baby is often sleeping - nice not to wake him/her up to get him/her out of the car when you arrive somewhere! Plus DS was born in the winter, so I would bring the car seat in the house to have it warmed up. They also sell covers for the car seats so you don't have to deal with putting a jacket or snow suit on the baby, you just fit the cover or a blanket over the car seat and baby is warm and snug.

I was so bummed with Ethan outgrew his infant seat - it was much easier to strap him in the seat in the house and then click it into place in the car, rather than have to buckle him in and out every time in the car.

For $50-60 I think it's worth it.

GL!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:01 PM

For a December I would reccomend an infant seat as well. They stay so much warmer that way! Graco is releasing a new seat to BRU and TRU next month that is an infant seat that goes from 5-30# and up to 32". If you can hold out long enough for it, it will be a good seat. It's about $160 I think, but should last, even w/ a big infant till arouond 18 mos. W/ my youngest, it would probably last till at least 2! Then combo seats can genearlly be picked up then for about $60 for a good one. If you had a summer baby and a good size baby, I would say get a good convertible. It's hard to get a good fit on a lot of babies though, especially small ones. Even though the seats are rated from 5#+, most don't have low enough strap slots for a nb. My youngest was just under 7# when he came home and only 19".

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 11-12-2005, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We almost always use convertible seats, right from the beginning. You CAN get a good fit and unless you can buy a top of the line infant seat (which mine could only ride in for five months max) I think the infant seats seem poorly made. I love my nice big, not tempted to carry it around, stays in the car seat because it encourages slinging all the time and even when i lived in chicago we could get them buckled just fine in the car after we were in it.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got an infant seat with both babes just so I could have the carrier. I have never been able to get the hang of the sling I have, and haven't gotten around to ordering a new one yet this time around, so the carrier saves the day in the grocery store when I have to push a cart. I don't think I could have lived without it with either of my munchkins.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 PM

With DS, I thought I would use convertible seat right from the start. But I ended up rushing to store buying an infant seat AFTER the baby arrives. The infant seat makes life much easier. I could carry him around without waking him up.

If you don't think you would go shopping, running errands, visiting family, etc. in the first 3-4 months, maybe you can get away just using convertible seat for the occassional doctor visits. But if more than that, definately get an infant seat, even if it's a used one.

User Tag List