Why Doesn't My Baby Nap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-15-2005, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She's tired but she rarely naps for longer than 45 minutes these days. Also, it's hard to get her to nap in the first place.

What am I doing wrong? And what can I do to put her down for a nap?
#2 of 5 Old 11-15-2005, 04:33 PM

I wouldn't be worried. Your baby is still really young and she may just need to take a bunch of 45 min naps throughout the day. Be lucky it's that long, some babies sleep 15-20 min and then they are up and ready to go. I bet as she gets older and stays awake for longer periods then her naps may become longer. My 8 month old usually takes two 1-2 hr naps or sometimes he'll take one 4 hr nap. It just depends.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 5 Old 11-15-2005, 04:42 PM

I'm in the same boat, henhao. Sometimes she takes a nap for two hours, sometimes only ten minutes. I read in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child that babies the age of ours have no schedule yet. They start producing more melatonin about 3 mos of age, and their nervous system is more organized and it gets a litte more predicatable then (though growth spurt and other "disruptions" still occur).

When my girl gets so tired and won't sleep, I just hold her and rock her while giving her the pacifier (after I've nursed her till she pushes away the boob). Eventually she sleeps. It just depends. I also use a swing sometimes. Or I sling her for hours, but that;s hard on my back. I also sleep with her, which someitmes helps her sleep longer. The best advice on here someone gave me was to try the same thing till she falls asleep rather than a bunch of different tactics, otherwise she gets more stimulated.

I guess we just have to hang in there.
#4 of 5 Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 PM

I know, Deborah. CJ's the same way unless I'm sleeping with him or he's swaddled. I'm about to go back to work, so I can't sleep with him always, and I don't want to swaddle him too much. What I'm doing currently is sleeping with him in the morning, swaddling him once in the afternoon, and holding him or letting him just have these quick naps the rest of the day.

I would totally trust that he just needs little naps except for the fact that he sleeps so well when swaddled.

O's gorgeous, btw.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#5 of 5 Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Dfs is about the same age and he naps sporadically. Some days he takes a bunch of 15 minute power naps throughout the day and other days he'll sleep for an hour or two in the morning and the afternoon. Usually- it's the short and sweet naps after eating. I am looking forward to him taking regular naps so it will be easier to get stuff done around the house!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page