8 month old with chapped, bleeding lips! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2005, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately, 8 mo DD inherited my propensity for dry, chapped lips. Her lips are chapped and dry, and the lower lip is cracked and bleeding. I feel so badly for her, especially since I know what it's like! I rely on Burts Bees Lip Balm for myself, and I've tried putting it on her, but she just licks it off, which of course, keeps her lips moist which just exacerbates the problem. BM would heal it of course, but wouldn't prevent chapping.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Could it be yeast? Sometimes chapped lips are confused with yeast infections of the mouth. Otherwise UGH! I hear you. I have chapped lips all the time living in the desert. I hate it.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 11-22-2005, 04:46 PM

I know alot of mommas on MDC are against petrol products, but the best thing I have found for baby's chapped skin and lips is a petroleum product called Aquaphor. It clears up my son's chapped thumb and lips overnight.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:51 PM

We too have a 7.5 month old with chapped lips. I pull out the lansinoh and smear it on her lips after she's fallen asleep each night (since she'll rub it or lick it off during the day). I've also smeared my nipples with lansinoh right before nursing her since I've noticed that she'll get her lips nicely smeared with the lansinoh without really being aware of it, meaning she's less likely to rub it off!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

User Tag List