Cheapest Natural Disposable Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2005, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to visitin-laws and cannot use a washer while there, so we will be using disposables for 2 weeks... I figure that's about 80-100 diapers.

I need to know the cheapest kind. I care most about not having gel in them and secondarily about not being made of bleached paper.

Thanks for any ideas!

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 11:27 AM

Check out drugstore.com. They have a natural store. You can get cases of diapers at a great discount:

http://www.drugstore.com/templates/s...xp3=2&trxp4=ML

I use the Seventh Generation because they are easily available at my local store, but they run $16 (when buying individually) a package. They are unbleached, but they do contain a polymer. (they do claim that their absorbant polymer is non-toxic and non-irritating) They hold amazingly...I've never had a leak!

The Tender Care are chlorine free and very cheap (about $8) but I have never used them.

Nature Boy and Girl do not contain gel, but I have found that they are pricey (may be discounted on drugstore.com, though) and so are the Tushies (which are gel-free, by the way)...

Happy searching!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 PM

i have used both seventh generation and tender care, and actually prefer the tender care and have had fewer leaks using them.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 PM

I was pretty sure Tushies were the ONLY gel free diapers and they're really expensive IMO. I think it's only the Tushies Ultra or something like that, there's 2 kinds. We're always used 7th Generation w/ no problems except they can be kinda wide in the crotch on little babies, but no leaks.You can sign up at their website for coupons.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 PM

The polymer in 7th Gen disposables is the exact same polymer that's in regular disposables, sodium polyacrylate. The issue w/ sodium polyacrylate is not that it's toxic or irritating to humans, but that it is a water soluble plastic that does not break down. Ever. I emailed them about this and they basically told me they weren't concerned w/ the environmental impact their disposables had since it was a drop in the bucket compared to all the other disposies being sold. I decided then and there to never buy another 7th Gen product ever again. And I haven't. One of our local natural foods store quit carrying their disposies after I told them they still had the plastic gel in them.

My dh and I are chemists by the way, and we are concerned w/ the environmental impact of the gels. Just b/c it's a drop in the bucket for one small company doesn't mean it's ethical for said company to trick its consumers into thinking their product is somehow better for the environment. They aren't concerned w/ the environment, imo. They saw a market for natural goods and saw money signs. $$$ Cha-ching!

Oh, I guess they use unbleached paper. But that's the ONLY difference between them and Pampers. Well, that and Pampers has elastic on the waist to keep poo from exploding out.

I buy Tushies when I use disposies. Our local store sells them for $12.99/bag and I've found them at Whole Foods for as low as $7.99/bag in the past.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221

Oh, I guess they use unbleached paper. But that's the ONLY difference between them and Pampers. Well, that and Pampers has elastic on the waist to keep poo from exploding out.
And they dont promote cartoon characters like Pampers. And they don't have that artificial baby powder scent that Pampers has. And, I had way more blowouts with Pampers. And dd had serious diaper rash with Pampers that has completely cleared up since we started using 7th Gen.

That's a shame about their additude. But, all companies are out to make $$. I don't think they're trying to trick anyone since it's clearly stated that they contain polymer right on the package.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfry
And they dont promote cartoon characters like Pampers.
Very true. That is a definite plus. Same w/ the perfume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfry
That's a shame about their additude. But, all companies are out to make $$. I don't think they're trying to trick anyone since it's clearly stated that they contain polymer right on the package.
Also true. Do they really state on their package that they have the gel now? They didn't last time I bought them a few years ago (the package that made me email them wondering if they had the gel and got that response.) OK, now they're being more honest than they used to be (their old package just talked about how environmentally friendly their products were, which I thought was a tad misleading), which makes me feel much much better about them. Maybe if I'm in a pinch I might consider their products again (not the dipes, though.) Maybe they're not so bad.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, y'all!

Looks like Tender Care now has gel:
http://www.tushies.com/tencardiap.html

I will look for coupons and look for Tushies.

Thank you!!!

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 PM

I HATE Tushies, they leak like crazy and their were sooo SNOTTY & RUDE on their customer service I vowed never to buy another product from them, they don't give a damn about customers.

On the other hand 7th Generation diaps. I've found to work wonderfully compared to tushies and they are a I'd rather support a company who won't parnter w/ walmart! Also form my experiences they are more concerned abt. the enviro. and customers, I've had fab. customer service w/them.
I'm pretty surprised at the pp. and response they got...

The gel in Tushies got all over DD EVERY TIME & the tabs could hold a semi-truck together, this sucks because if the diaper isn't wet you can't re-fasten it because it tears the diaper just to get the darn tab off- I e-mailed them abt. this and they said "they have no problem with this" yeah, I'm sure they don't because they don't use them ,I did! So they basically told me, my problem w/tushies didn't exsist! Done with them!!!!

The best $$ on 7th gen. is at wwww.drugstore.com and they now have free shipping for a limited time-I think. They have super customer service!
I've ordered thu them a couple times!

Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:19 PM

avena, i think you may be confusing the tender care diapers with tushies diapers, because tushies *do not* have any type of chemical gel in them, only cotton and wood pulp. they are made by the same company though.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Old 12-07-2005, 03:22 PM

I had no clue that sooooo many "natural" diapers had the icky gel in them.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

User Tag List