Ack! My baby has an ingrown toenail! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-07-2005, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like an incredibly unobservant parent. Yikes. My little one doesn't even have toenails that are long enough to trim, but the nail on his big toe seems to have grown sideways a bit. His toe is all red and inflamed, and he doesn't want me to touch it. What do I do?!
#2 of 5 Old 12-07-2005, 12:20 AM

We had this a few months ago.

Seems like all it took was soaking in epsom salts. We soaked his foot for 1/2 hour 3 days in a row. I don't know the concentration but it was pretty strong.
I remember asking here and got a few replies so maybe check that?

Anyhoo, it went away on its own and hasn't recurred. And,it was totally red and pussy...ewwwww
#3 of 5 Old 12-07-2005, 02:10 AM

My dfs had this for two-three weeks (actually, maybe longer??) in his first month or so of life. It developed way before he had toenails long enough to trim. It doesn't have to do with being an attentive parent. I had his ped look at it. His ped said it is very common because baby toenails are so soft, they just grow right into the skin. Fortunately, because the toenails are so soft, ingrown toenails on babies almost always resolve on their own. The ped thought it would have to be pretty bad before he would interfere. My dfs's ingrown toenail was very swollen and red, but as I recall didn't seem to be terribly painful.

The ped said to just leave it alone. So we did. And after a while it was gone.

~Sierra

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#4 of 5 Old 12-07-2005, 02:43 AM

We had this problem, too, on both toes. We soaked them, and rolled the soaked skin away from the nail. And we got a cream from the doctor, like Neosporin, which takes care of it quickly.
#5 of 5 Old 12-07-2005, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. I'm taking him to the pediatrician today. His toe looks awful, and he is really gritchy and unable to sleep. I hope they don't hurt him. If there are worse feelings than something being wrong with your baby, I'd just as soon not experience them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page