Baby doll for a one year old?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-12-2005, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to get dd (13 months in a week) a baby doll for Christmas...I'm cutting it a little close, I know!! She favors the ones that look like real babies, cutting out the Waldorf dolls. My dilema at this point is do I get an all vinyl baby doll, which is easier to clean, has a belly button (a big fascination these days) and can go in the bathtub or one with a soft body/vinyl limbs, which is nicer to cuddle, but harder to clean and lacking anatomical parts? I'm leaning towards all vinyl for now, given how messy an almost 13 month old can be....which leads me to, does anyone know or recommend a particular kind? I really want it to stand up to an almost toddler's play. Thanks!

PS...I wasn't sure if this should go in life with a babe or toddlers...I've never been able to figure out where one ends and the other picks up!
#2 of 12 Old 12-12-2005, 06:28 PM

When DD1 was a year old, her great-grandmother gave her a Madame Alexander baby doll...cute little thing, but IMPOSSIBLE to clean, and wouldn't you know, DD1 fell absolutely in love with it and drags it everywhere. I wish to high heaven that she would have gotten her a baby doll that was machine washable. "Shayna," DD1's baby, is truly nasty. I try to take her from time to time and wash her hands and feet with a little bleach solution, since they are positively GREY with grime, but it's tough when I can't put the doll in the dryer. I haven't the foggiest how to get the grime off the doll's hard plastic face without taking off the paint as well -- I do the best I can with soap and water.

So, my recommendation, based on life spent with a toddler and her 24/7 doll companion is that you find a doll which is:

1. Soft -- no cries of pain in the middle of the night from a toddler who has rolled over on her doll's hard face

2. Machine washable -- 'nuff said

3. A standard doll size, so when toddler decides that her baby needs new clothes, you can buy them at Target.

There ARE some dolls out there that are both soft and realistic looking (i.e., not Waldorf dolls). Good luck!!!
#3 of 12 Old 12-12-2005, 06:42 PM

: I want to get dd a doll for her birthday next month.....
#4 of 12 Old 12-12-2005, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi
When DD1 was a year old, her great-grandmother gave her a Madame Alexander baby doll...cute little thing, but IMPOSSIBLE to clean, and wouldn't you know, DD1 fell absolutely in love with it and drags it everywhere. I wish to high heaven that she would have gotten her a baby doll that was machine washable. "Shayna," DD1's baby, is truly nasty. I try to take her from time to time and wash her hands and feet with a little bleach solution, since they are positively GREY with grime, but it's tough when I can't put the doll in the dryer. I haven't the foggiest how to get the grime off the doll's hard plastic face without taking off the paint as well -- I do the best I can with soap and water.

So, my recommendation, based on life spent with a toddler and her 24/7 doll companion is that you find a doll which is:

1. Soft -- no cries of pain in the middle of the night from a toddler who has rolled over on her doll's hard face

2. Machine washable -- 'nuff said

3. A standard doll size, so when toddler decides that her baby needs new clothes, you can buy them at Target.

There ARE some dolls out there that are both soft and realistic looking (i.e., not Waldorf dolls). Good luck!!!
Thanks for the info!!! Ease of cleaning is definitely a big sell and I would love to just be able to toss the doll in the wash. On with the search!
#5 of 12 Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi
I haven't the foggiest how to get the grime off the doll's hard plastic face without taking off the paint as well -- I do the best I can with soap and water.
Try rubbing alcohol - that shouldn't hurt the paint.
#6 of 12 Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 PM

I got dd this doll for Christmas

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=toys

you could probably do a search for it as it looks like it's not available anymore on Amazon.
#7 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesmom
I got dd this doll for Christmas

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=toys

you could probably do a search for it as it looks like it's not available anymore on Amazon.
That's exactly the one I ended up getting!!! Washable AND has a belly button I love this doll, it's adorable and so soft. Now here's hoping dd loves it as well!! I got mine at babies r us, they're selling them in the store now.
#8 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 06:10 PM

I found a great one that my dd LOVES at target for $3. Small, bean bag cloth body, plastic (not super hard though) arms, legs, head. She likes it because it's small. It's been through the washer and dryer a few times already and seems to be fine...

-Angela
#9 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 08:43 PM

I, too, was going to suggest Baby Stella. She's precious and so loveable! And, she has clothes and gear for when the child gets older.

www.manhattantoy.com has a store locater as well as sell directly. Good luck!
#10 of 12 Old 12-15-2005, 02:40 AM

I almost can't wait until she opens it!
#11 of 12 Old 12-15-2005, 04:13 AM

Anyone know if there is a boy version of baby Stella...ie baby Steve or something?

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#12 of 12 Old 12-15-2005, 04:21 AM

we got this one for Nigel. Except we got it at a mall kiosk for only $12.00!

I'm not sure what to do with the stuffed bottle.

Maybe I should make a poll. Do I fabric paint the words "mama milk only" on it or just chuck it?

My kids and daycare kids always nurse their babies. Even the boys!

Mom to three 14 y.o. rock star grrl, 5 y.o. knight in spazzy armour and baby Juniper, born still @39 weeks 4 days 2-3-10 .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page