undescended testicle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2005, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyones child had an undescended testicle. My 6 week old does. Ped says if it doesn't drop by 9 months he'll start making arrangements for surgury. Anyone have any input on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 04:36 PM

just make sure he doesn't do a circ at the same time, sometimes they do. and make sure to tell him no retraction for the catheter or any reason. sorry, i don't know anyting about undescended testicles, just about foreskins.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ohhhhhhhhhh I never thought about that!!!!! I am VERY anti-circ but duh, never thought about that. I won't even meet with the dr till his surery date though because we have to travel to Vancouver BC which is about 7 hour drive...so when I get there do I just tell them not to circ and not to retract??? That kind of scares me because how do I trust that they will not retract the foreskin once I am not there?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:51 PM

My son also had one.
Have you had an ultrasound yet?
My doctor told me that they wouldn't do ANYTHING about it unless 1) the ultrasound showed that the tube had closed up, and that the testicle was "trapped" in his abdomen, or 2) it hadn't dropped by the time he was two years old.

Our ultrasound confirmed that the testicle could move freely up and down that tube (making it sometimes descended, and sometimes "undescended"). Once the ultrasound showed that it *could* come down into the scrotum, she said "don't worry about it until he's about 2". It descended and stayed down there after a few weeks.

What are your dr's reasons for only giving it 9 months?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Babygrant, you may want to x-post this on the anti-circ board here. They will have great advice for dealing with the retraction concern and Frank may have even more info on the undescended testicle issue.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:39 AM

My doctor said DS had an undescended testicle. Everything is okay now.

However the doctor said normally they won't do anything until the baby is two years old. He said not to worry about it because is could descend on its own during that time.

Unless there is a valid medical reason, I'd want to know why he wants to do something surgically so early.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 AM

My dh had this as a child and required surgery. He wasn't circumsized during the surgery. I couldn't imagine a Dr. doing that. It would just scream a lawsuit. Obviously you don't want your son circed because you would have done it right after birth. It would be hard to explain an "accidental" circumsision when he is working at the hip joint. Also, I don't know if you are concerned about this at all, but the surgery shouldn't affect fertility later in life. My dh had no issues obviously, he got me pregnant while on the pill. If your son does require surgery I hope everything goes well for him.

User Tag List