First solid food?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is going to be 6 months soon and we plan to begin her slowly on some solids then. She's definitely ready IMO as she has teeth already and stares at food, watches it go from plate to mouth and begins licking her little lips, licks her lips while watching us prepare it etc. So my question is what do you all think is the best food to begin her on? I don't think I will do grains as fruits and veggies are much easier to digest at first and I am leaning toward a veggie as I have heard that they will do better with them if they haven't been introduced first to fruits. But then maybe there is a reason they like fruits better other than that they are sweet. Maybe they are better for them early on... I was thinking of doign some mashed/pureed kale as I heard that is high in minerals. Originally was thinking of starting with bananas. Of course my grandma who doesn't understand that there have been advancements in knowledge in the last 50 years thinks I should just give her cereal with applesauce and start letting her taste everthing on my plate.

Anyway, what have you all started your babies on and at what age? I don't want to rush things like I have seen most people do where babies begin food and are eating meat in a month or so. I want to primarily bf as long as possible and bf well into toddlerhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 02:23 AM

we started with banana

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#3 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 03:43 AM

With my first we started with banana because he took it out of my hand.

That whole start with a veggie because fruit is sweet and they will be partial to that does not really hold up if you are breastfeeding. Breastmilk is very sweet, sweeter than fruit so that whole theory doesn't work for me.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#4 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 04:47 AM

I'd start with a nice wedge of soft ripe avacado and let him have at it.

-Angela
#5 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama
start letting her taste everthing on my plate.
Actually, that's pretty much our approach, though we started with the things on our plates that seemed easiest to digest and that weren't major allergens. We've slowly and gently branched out, and dfs has even had small amounts of mild curries, lots of burritos (mainly the filling...beans and guacamole and stuff), and really a rather wide variety of foods.

If you do a search in this forum on this subject, you'll find lots of information and discussion about this approach. It actually is not harmful to babies, as long as they are ready for solids. A recent scientific review of the research was summarized in a widely distributed article by the Associated Press. That review confirmed what many of us feel to be true-- that simply sharing our family meals with our babies is the best approach. Here's a link to the article, which was printed in many various news publications and probably even in part in your local paper (I think the version I've linked to is complete, but I am not entirely positive): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/ It's a two page article, and you'll have to scroll past some ads to read it completely.

Anyway, for what it is worth, the first time I gave dfs solids it was because he was very interested in the vegetable sandwich I was eating. I looked at the sandwich and thought the lettuce seemed like a gentle bet. I tore off the tiniest, tiniest, tiniest piece and gave it to him. He thought it was super interesting and screamed for more as soon as it either fell out of his mouth or he swallowed it. That was his first food...lettuce.

And that was just the begining!

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#6 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 08:08 PM

my son's first foods were avacado, yam and quinoa in that order i think..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 08:43 PM

I did start with the rice, but then tried to alternate a fruit and a vegie trying a new one about every 5 days.
I think I started with pumpkin, then apple, sweet potato, banana and avocado. But any of those 'first' foods will do. I wasn't as particular with my son. Whatever I had to hand that seemed ripe and ok for him to eat. I even gave him tinned peaches. Just those in the natural juice you know.
#8 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 09:05 PM

I started my ds on avacado as lots of people here seemed to do it - would you believe he turned out to be allergic to it!! I've heard that's very rare though so don't let it worry you. I moved through a variety of fruits and vegetables after that and then started adding rice and potato and small amounts of meat and fish.

I think it's hard to say which approach you will take until you see how your babe goes. My ds just loved food and got so excited about it so I moved him along in quantity and variety pretty quickly as he was enjoying it so much. I felt that his physical ability to get food into his own mouth didn't match his appetite (and still doesn't) so he's mainly spoon fed.

A friend's baby showed all the signs of really wanting to start food but once she was offered it she didn't want to know. She's still only had occasional tastes now she's 9 months. Just make sure you both enjoy it.
#9 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 09:07 PM

We started with avocado.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#10 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 09:38 PM

Um, I basically took your grandma's approach.

I followed their lead and let them eat anything they were interested in (other than nuts or seafood) since they had no apparent allergies, nor are there any in our families. Mostly offered a variety of grain cereals made with breastmilk (or organic fruit sauces), mushed banana and sweet potato in the beginning. They're now 2 yo and still nursing strong.
#11 of 16 Old 01-01-2006, 10:40 PM

My son started solids slightly after 5 mos. (he was "underweight" and showing all the "signs" of readiness... I listened to all the wrong people on that one). His first foods were: banana, avocado, squash, sweet potato, pears, and I can't remember what after that. He LOVED solid foods and by 8 mos. was eating whatever we did, aside from the obvious things you shouldn't give babies, and in portions you'd expect out of a 2-3 yr. old (he ate an entire kid's spaghetti meal AND appetizers AND 2 pieces of bread AND banana bread and sorbet at a restaurant on his first birthday!). He loved (still does!) Indian food, greens, tofu, etc. His love for solids never affected his love of nursing- he'll be 3 next month and still nurses about a dozen times a day.
#12 of 16 Old 01-02-2006, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

well, thanks for all the ideas. Maybe my grandma isn't so off on this one after all. I think I just view all she says with suspicion because she is so pro-schedule let the baby cio etc etc and so critical of me and constantly asking questions

I guess I never thought that maybe the docs are just covering their butts again when they say to only introduce 1 food at a time and that you have to do it all in a certain order. So glad to know that what is probably a more natural way when I think about it - is working for some of you.
#13 of 16 Old 01-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama
I guess I never thought that maybe the docs are just covering their butts again when they say to only introduce 1 food at a time and that you have to do it all in a certain order. So glad to know that what is probably a more natural way when I think about it - is working for some of you.
Well, if your baby does have an allergic reaction to a food, it's nice to know what probably caused it. That's why people wait 4-5 days between introducing new foods, at first. I was very careful about that for the first 12-15 foods I gave my now-8.5-month-old daughter. Because she hasn't had the slightest reaction or problem with any food, I am now much more relaxed about table foods with multiple new ingredients. For example, I felt totally fine about letting my husband give her some white bean soup he ordered in a restaurant, even though we didn't know exactly what was in it.

We have a strong family history of food allergies, so there are still some foods we are very strictly *not* introducing: wheat, dairy products (other than formula, which she is unfortunately on), citrus fruits, eggs, fish and shellfish, soy products, and nut products. We will add in most of those foods after her first birthday, except for shellfish and nuts, which will wait until age 3.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#14 of 16 Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 PM

We skipped purees altogether and started with banana then sweet potatoes, all in small chunks she could easily pick up. We moved on to carrots, pumpkin, avacado, and now at 10 mo. she eats most fruits and veggies, some grains, and organic yogurt.
#15 of 16 Old 01-02-2006, 07:57 PM

WE did avocado and banana, sweet potatoe, carrots.
#16 of 16 Old 01-02-2006, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Avocado and sweet potatoes will be our first with DD. I'm planning to wait until 7-8 months, though, if she lets me :-) I will just be giving her mushed-up regular food rather than jarred baby food.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page