August 05 - Happy 2006!!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 341 Old 01-28-2006, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Skana, I could have written your post. Plus, I think those of us with older kids have forgotten a lot since our firsts were babes. I know I have! I attribute all of this to development appropriate for this age. Here's a great link for some clues as to our dcs' challenges right now. http://members.tripod.com/meadowlar...wisdom/id1.html

As for the teething, I recently read some neg. stuff about Ambisol and I know that Tylenol is hard for baby livers to filter. If you can get some, the Hyland Teething Tabs work wonders. I tried frozen breast milk in a mesh feeder the other night and Annabelle LOVED that!

Skana: Yeah, I'm a bit lost right now sleepwise as well. My first was taking two naps a day at this age, and this one.....aaaaahhhh. But, for us, I think a lot of it has to do with having a noisy 3yo running around. Johnathan just doesn't want to miss a thing. And I'm tired of being the mean old nag going "ssssshhhhhh" all day long. I'm also missing the 7-9 hour sleep stretches I was getting for so long. He is sleeping worse now than ever....even when he was colicy.

To Kate and heldt123: Thank you, thank you for your comments. They make me feel less pitiful, that's for sure. Kate, the link was very helpful and I gave Tova the Hyland teething tablets before bed tonight, so we'll see what happens. I had them on hand, just hadn't used them because I wasn't sure how to get them into her. In the end I dissolved them in water, as per the instructions, and used a dropper. A lot of it ran out of her mouth, but surely some must have stuck.

To heldt123: my hubby also works nights (4:30-12:30), so I know exactly what you mean about trying to keep things quiet in the morning. It's not an ideal situation for any family, is it? He's been doing it for about 15 years, though, so we're sort of used to it. I'm on maternity leave now, but when I'm working we basically communicate via notes on the fridge. Romantic, huh?

Hang in there everyone. You mamas are the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 341 Old 01-29-2006, 04:09 AM

hello again, mamas. took quite a bit of reading to catch up!

i was in "school" all week, taking a field intern supervisor training. starting in april, with the new intern class at the school i just graduated from, i will supervise the field interns from the comfort of my home. they fax me all their patient files and we have appt's over the phone. i am super happy with the training, and with the newfound way to work from home, in my field. i'm thinking i'll be ready to start seeing patients again around then, also. i've really been enjoying full-time mamahood, but i'm really excited to bring ayurveda back into our lives more fully again. and with bringing ayurveda back as my way of serving, i'm also ready to utilize the wisdom of this science and focus on my health again. the ppd isn't helped by me not being motivated to cook healthy meals, by my procrastination, by wintertime, by my new, umm, soft squishiness . i know how to be healthy, i just feel like i'm sucking at it right now.

as far as the sitter drama, it's a very long story, but i'll just say that laurel is very happy going to work with daddy right now (the one day i work, and while i was in training). he takes her in and relieves one of his cooks, who lives in the dorms onsite, who then hangs out w/ the babe in the restaurant until i get there. laurel gets to hang out in the kitchen with dada, which makes her, and both of us, very happy. and we don't have to leave her anywhere. so it's working for right now.

henhao-for dry skin try abhyanga, a self-massage. get some organic sesame oil and give yourself a full-body massage after you turn off the shower, while you're still wet. sesame oil has a warm quality, is super nourishing, and penetrates deep into your skin. it's great for this time of year. massage vigorously, in circles on your joints and back and forth in line with your bones. you'll be suprised how fast it gets absorbed. you won't be all oily at all. this type of massage, daily, will not only nourish your skin, but your nervous system as well. it should only take a minute or two. you can also add essential oils to make it smell good, if you want. lavender is calming, orange is uplifting, rose is calming and brings in a nice, loving, heart-centered quality...just ideas . also, keep up the internal oil intake, whether its the flax, or ghee, or just using more oils (cold-pressed, organic) in general.

nonny-laurel's nails grow like weeds . i chew them as soon as they are long enough, which is very frequently. i attribute it partly to the fact that i'm still taking prenatals

k's mom-yep, the silver in your mouth has mercury in it. sorry. but keep in mind that the options that have any plastic in them will release endocrine disruptors into your system. there are really no perfectly safe oral options. keep up the brushing and flossing!

april-laurel is an all night nurser, too. every time i try to roll onto my back for a moment of sleeping for myself she starts waving her arms everywhere reaching for the boob. i'm trying to keep in mind that this time is precious and won't last forever.

skana-with the teething tablets you might want to try just holding them, one at a time, right behind the bottom gum. it'll dissolve in seconds. how'd they work for you, aside from the actual act of administering them?

kitty-i'm going to go kidnap mtsunshinemama and we're all heading to tibet for that meditation retreat..........it's already so soothing just thinking about it. i really thought the ppd would be a thing of the past by now. apparently it's not done with me yet . i think that ppd is completely unfair. it's lame and i'm over it.

mtsunshinemama-i'm so with you on digging on the loving papa vibes . it's so great watching them play with the babes, so into the interaction and love . we are also thinking about trying again in may/june . no af, yet...and i'm happy for now about that, as i'm not really a big fan...but i'll be ready for the ovulation in a couple of months . after #2, we'd also love to adopt, if we hit the lottery or something. it's such a shame that it costs so darn much. and cute, cute, cute new '06 pics! dd has the same fuzzy bear outfit! i love the pics of soulshine papa reading to your ds . dh and i, if and when we ever open our own restaurant, plan on calling it "soulshine". and the catering/vending component, out of our schoolbus, will be 'shine on cafe". so look for us out and about at some festies down the line .

so i found out that there are homeopathic vaccines. am researching further and will let y'all know what unfolds. i'm pretty darn excited about the prospect.

much love to you mamas

mtsunshinemama-

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#303 of 341 Old 01-29-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine
:
so i found out that there are homeopathic vaccines. am researching further and will let y'all know what unfolds. i'm pretty darn excited about the prospect.

mtsunshinemama-

I look foward to that. I tried researching it, and all I could come up with was that the everyday vaccines are considered homeopathic, which is true. Then I tried to reasearch alternatives, but could not come up with anything.
For now we are novax, and supplementing to aide with immune system development, and to help make sure DD does not catch anything!
#304 of 341 Old 01-29-2006, 02:08 PM

:Happy Birthday mtsunshinemama!:

Oh yeah, and Johnathan is 6 months old today!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#305 of 341 Old 01-29-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123
h yeah, and Johnathan is 6 months old today!
Happy birthday, Johnathan! :

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#306 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123
:Happy Birthday mtsunshinemama!:

Oh yeah, and Johnathan is 6 months old today!
Aw shucks, Thanks Jamie! And Happy B-day right back to Johnathan!! I'm having a great birthday snuggled up in front of the fire with my cute boys!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#307 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 12:21 AM

Happy Birthday Mtsunshinemama and Jonathan~!!!!~!!!~!!!

More replies later, but does ANYONE else still have cradle crap??? Owen has a wicked case that just keeps coming back. The dr is unimpressed and wants us to use hydrocortizone cream, which actually works but only temporarily. It really breaks out badly and gets all crusty--it's horrible. I hate using so much of that cream on his sweet baby head.

He's 5 months and 1 week now.

I asked her about food allergies--(remember Owen is formula fed ) and she said that he would have rashes on other parts of his body too. He has none.

DH is very reluctant to switch formulas and is adamant against the homemade formula. I don't know if I can deal with the homemade formula either. He has no interest in solids.

If all of your babies have outgrown this, I think I'm going to take him to the naturopath for help.

Sorry to ask about this again...just please let me know if anyone still has the darn cradle crap!

Thanks!!!!
#308 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 AM

Well, Johnathan has cradle cap, but it isn't too bad. It is sort of a light crusty scaley film. If it is any consolation, my 3yo still has some of that too, I've never been able to totally wash it out--that and brown scales aren't that healthy looking. It has never really been a big issue with either of them because they had so much hair and no one could really see it, so I never really worried about it too much. : I don't really know much about it either, suppose I should look into it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#309 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 12:47 AM

Hello!
So, we sampled solids. . not a huge hit.. .yet. DS had rice cereal with BM and then a couple of days later had avacodo. Made faces both times. We'll wait for a week or so and try again. But, no rush. My DD had food at like 5 1/2 mos. and wasn't quite ready and then was quite eager a couple of weeks later. We'll see.

: Mtn. Sunshine Mama!! Hope you have a great one!

Yes, we still have a mild case of cradle cap. But, I've never tried to get rid of it, so that could be why ds still has it. I just figured that it would go away on its own.

Amy in NH~ I tried the oolong tea (woo, is that stuff strong!) and it seems to help a bit. I'll keep drinking it every few days to make sure that he gets some of it in my milk.

Congrats to Chasmyn about the move to BC. Sounds exciting!

It' been soooo cold here (-51 below 0; without a wind chill) and Kai (who is 3) is soooo full of energy that we can't seem to get out; and is driving me SO, I am all for the move to tibet. Perhaps there's an all mommy's school somewhere? But, I would miss my family so much, I would be miserable.

I've been doing lots of sewing to keep my mind off of cabin fever. It's great to be sewing dresses and skirts. I feel so self sufficient. It's great! I haven't been leaving the house unless its at least -30 below 0. for fear of a belt snapping and breaking down outside. Too cold to have to wait for a ride. Yikes! Hope it warms soon. Ready for spring!

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#310 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K's Mom!
It' been soooo cold here (-51 below 0; without a wind chill)
: I thought Wisconsin was cold!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#311 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 01:45 PM

: Mtsunshinemama!
#312 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 PM

Happy, happy birthday Mountain Sunshine Mama!!

And to Jonathon, happy 1/2 birthday! Looking forward to all of our babies reaching this milestone this month.

In my family we celebrate half birthdays for everyone. That means I have two in Feb and one in early March , then it's my turn (the big 41) in April! Gosh, so much to celebrate.

Thanks for the hugs last week - just one of those days, I guess. I had a much better weekend including a homebirth get together yesterday where I got to talk to couples considering homebirth, share my experience and my pictures from Annabelle's birth.

This morning I was in my bathroom taking my supplements. Annabelle was sitting on the carpet in the bedroom playing. I looked in and realized she was sitting in the exact spot she was born. Wow. How time flies!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#313 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 04:57 PM

My little baby has had cradle cap. We brushmften now. And I also make sure to massage her scalp with my fingertips when I was her hair. That seemed to help and she doesn't have it right now.

Skana--Thanks for the oil idea. I will try it. Sesame oil smells SOOOO good and that would be a nice way to treat myself, esp since the shower is where I got to escape!!
#314 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 05:52 PM

Hi mamas!

A little update from me:
I can't believe baby Christopher is 5 months 1 week now! Weigh a little over 17 lbs and wears 9 month cloth! He eats about 4 teaspoons of cereal with applesauce added in there. He pretty much likes it and loves to grab my spoon!

My MIL babysat him last night for 2 hours while I played s0ome tennis with my DH and friends. She told me 30 min after I left him, baby started to cry nonstop forr almost an hour! I know I don't support CIO and MIL doesn't either. I think my baby is starting to have separation anxiety! because as soon as I held him, he stopped crying!! Oh how I love being a Mom!

I went to see my famiily doctor last week and did a blood test...turns out my white blood cell count is low, meaning i'm more prone to bacteria and infections? Which I don't understand because I haven't been sick for over a year now!

Anyway, todays a beautiful day...sunny and 64 degrees! I can't wait till Spring and playing outside everyday!

have a good one everyone!
#315 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 05:57 PM

Hi mamas!

A little update from me:
I can't believe baby Christopher is 5 months 1 week now! Weigh a little over 17 lbs and wears 9 month cloth! He eats about 4 teaspoons of cereal with applesauce added in there. He pretty much likes it and loves to grab my spoon! He loves to smile, laugh and don't mind others holding him! No more cradle cap now since 2 months old. Naps about twice/3 timees at an hour each, goes to sleep/wakes up at 9:30pm/9:30am, waking up every 4-5 hours. Improvement!

My MIL babysat him last night for 2 hours while I played s0ome tennis with my DH and friends. She told me 30 min after I left him, baby started to cry nonstop forr almost an hour! I know I don't support CIO and MIL doesn't either. I think my baby is starting to have separation anxiety! because as soon as I held him, he stopped crying!! Oh how I love being a Mom!

I went to see my famiily doctor last week and did a blood test...turns out my white blood cell count is low, meaning i'm more prone to bacteria and infections? Which I don't understand because I haven't been sick for over a year now!

Anyway, todays a beautiful day...sunny and 64 degrees! I can't wait till Spring and playing outside everyday!

have a good one everyone!
#316 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Happy Birthday Mtsunshinemama and Jonathan!!!

Oh, the teething! I wish those little teeth would just push through already! Marathon night nursing, whining all day when he is awake - my normally happy little guy is having a hard time.

But he FINALLY rolls over - back and forth! He's been sitting up for a month now, its about time

We got Kiernen a mesh feeder and so far have given him some cold slices of pear in it. He seems to like it, but I think the mesh is a weird texture to add to food. Part of me is wondering if he'll feel better if I give him some solids - I am trying hard to hold out, but he is so interested! It's hard to say no to him. So far we give him spoons and lids and metal measuring cups when he is in his high chair, and the mesh feeder. He loves to take sips of water from my cup.

In other news, my back will not stop hurting! I have degenerative disc in my lower back and arthritis in my neck, but we've been able to manage it with chiropractic. Except lately, not so much. I'm so frustrated by this pain.
#317 of 341 Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Happy Birthday Mtsunshinemama and Jonathan~!!!!~!!!~!!!

More replies later, but does ANYONE else still have cradle crap??? Owen has a wicked case that just keeps coming back. The dr is unimpressed and wants us to use hydrocortizone cream, which actually works but only temporarily. It really breaks out badly and gets all crusty--it's horrible. I hate using so much of that cream on his sweet baby head.

He's 5 months and 1 week now.

I asked her about food allergies--(remember Owen is formula fed ) and she said that he would have rashes on other parts of his body too. He has none.

DH is very reluctant to switch formulas and is adamant against the homemade formula. I don't know if I can deal with the homemade formula either. He has no interest in solids.

If all of your babies have outgrown this, I think I'm going to take him to the naturopath for help.

Sorry to ask about this again...just please let me know if anyone still has the darn cradle crap!

Thanks!!!!
Robby just got cradle cap for the first time just before he turned 4 months and he still has it.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#318 of 341 Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 AM

Ok...feeling much better about the cradle cap. Thank you mamas!!!

Owen starting chewing on everything like a rabid dog this afternoon and he's chewing his bottom lip, so I guess the teething has begun.

Gotta work--hope all of your weeks started off well today!!!
#319 of 341 Old 01-31-2006, 02:31 AM

hi mamas-

luckily we ditched the cradle cap with olive oil on the scalp for a few hours, a warm bath and dd's comb and it came off easily and hasn't returned. I did not get rid of dd's so swiftly!

my boy is 5 months now and enjoying the tummy time and rolling, sitting assisted (especially w/ his sister!)...but has really stepped up the suck in the bottom lip thing.

so far I can't figure out if he's teething. he's drooling and mouthing everything but he has never been a great nighttime sleeper (can't seem to nurse to sleep laying down in bed...he's getting better but I find myself thinking that I wasn't ever awake this much w/dd and then I remember that I only had one kid then- reality check.) A sweetie he really is though...so patient, happy and mellow. It's like easy breezy man...

nothing is better than my little family- I never even imagined that this is what it would be like. so much love...it's a little scary sometimes.

here's a pic of my 2 babies! (dd is on a scrunch up your face to smile kick!)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/strettkitty/cj.jpg

traci
#320 of 341 Old 01-31-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K's Mom
I haven't been leaving the house unless its at least -30 below 0. for fear of a belt snapping and breaking down outside.
I'm guessing you're a snowmobiling family? We were, too, when I lived in Wyoming - had to 'bile a few dozen miles to get to my car, so I could drive to town... The cabin fever was truly potent sometimes, since I didn't leave for anything except work twice a month. And we didn't even have kids then! And I thought my cabin fever was bad this winter.....!!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#321 of 341 Old 01-31-2006, 03:55 PM

Happy birthday to mtnsunshinemama & to Johnathan and all of our little ones who will be 6 months old this month! I can't believe how time has passed. Life just keeps getting better and better. I have my crazy days of cabin fever & stuck-inside-the-house-by-myself-with-only-this-baby days (when I would seriously welcome a one-way ticket to the mountain retreat currently being planned in Tibet ), but on the whole, life is good.

And we did our taxes last night...so, here's to our little deductions, too! Since dh and I have never owned a home or had children before, The Man has previously taken everything and way more (not that I'm bitter - hmmph) -- I was pleasantly surprised at receiving some of my interest-free loan to the government back this time around. Happy day.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#322 of 341 Old 01-31-2006, 05:17 PM

i really need to get to those taxes. i just paid a bunch of bills, which i have found i'm not nearly as good at since dd entered our lives, and the realization is becoming more and more evident every month that one job just isn't the same as two. don't get me wrong though. nothing is better than staying at home with my little lovebug. nothing. and certainly not money .

streetkitty, your children are beautiful !

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#323 of 341 Old 01-31-2006, 08:19 PM

oh, taxes! I forgot all about taxes. And I have business taxes to do too. Ugh!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#324 of 341 Old 01-31-2006, 09:47 PM

Anyone having a much harder time with their toddler? The baby seems like a breeze, but my toddler who is 2 1/2 has been keeping me busy!
- Kerri
#325 of 341 Old 01-31-2006, 11:58 PM

my four year old is driving me so nuts she MAY turn five in twenty-seven days... If she weren't one of my greatest blessings, I might be serious about that... :egads rhair

We totally forgot about the three day temp position that Viper had at the very beginning of last year, so we e-filed on Saturday, our return was accepted. Today his parents got an envelope from that job containing a W-2. rhair... ugh. So now I have to ammend the return. Half the info I've found says to do it after the return is accepted, and the other half after it's issued... WWYD?

Miss Emma keeps teething, but no teeth! ugh... I'm about tempted to call the girls' dentist...
#326 of 341 Old 02-01-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Coltrane
Anyone having a much harder time with their toddler? The baby seems like a breeze, but my toddler who is 2 1/2 has been keeping me busy!
- Kerri

Yes! She has been excessively whiney lately. Crying easily. Hard to please. She's getting over an illness but still its hard.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#327 of 341 Old 02-01-2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Coltrane
- Kerri
Well, Nathan technically isn't a toddler anymore, but he is going through a pull-your-hair-out stubborn phase. Sometimes I find myself wondering where my sweet little boy has gone! But baby hasn't been any easier. He seems to need constant high stimulation. If he isn't moving or playing with one of his favorite toys, then he gets mad. Seems to get frustrated very easily, sigh.

Oh yeah, and my husband is a lying sack of barnyard poop that isn't even fit to use for garden fertilizer to grow pig slop!

#328 of 341 Old 02-01-2006, 01:58 AM

I'm so behind in reading the posts! Jonah is doing really well and such a cutie. His bottom front teeth are poking through and he does this cute chomping thing... makes him look like a little piranah, lol.

About BM supply, I have always found that right around when AF is due, my supply seems to take a dip. So, this could be a reason. Another reason could be that your body is just used to BFing and you no longer get the feeling of fullness like before.

We're still not sure if we are done or not with kids. We're both right around our mid-30's and thought 2 would be enough. However, now I keep thinking our family would be more complete with just one more. DH says no more, but I think that if I brought the topic back up (now that jonah is sleeping better at night and a happier baby) in a few months, he might be open to it. He was supposed to get a vasectomy, but I think that we're putting that on hold, b/c we're not sure yet what is going on. My 2 boys are 18 mo apart right now and I'm not doing that again. Too close in age! If we decide to ttc again, I think we'd try to time it so the baby would be about 2 yrs apart from jonah at the least. I don't know, some days I think that having another baby would be so much work, but other days I still yearn for another one. I'm really wishy washy right now.

Happy birthday to all of those babies who are 6 months old!

I plan to put off solids until jonah is closer to 7 mo old... mostly out of my own laziness. Last time I started my son at 6 mo, b/c I was a first time mom and all excited about it. I think that I should have waited, the baby was not that excited about it. Jonah is sitting in the HC with us at dinner time. I give him a spoon to play with, and omg he is REALLY good at putting the spoon into his mouth! Almost like he's been closely observing us all of this time! Hopefully, he'll be my good eater. My toddler drives me nuts... he is very finicky about eating.

About the toddler. Joshua will be 2 soon, and omg we are in the terrible 2's! He is sooo whiny and sometimes it seems like whatever I do, NOTHING makes him happy. ITA... now the baby is the easy one and the toddler is the difficult one. My toddler is beginning to talk a lot more, BUT I think if he talked a LOT more that things would be a little bit easier. He does sign a lot, but that is still limited to just the words he knows how to sign, which involves a lot of foods and animals, lol.

Is anyone wearing their baby in a back carry in the mei tai yet? I tried a month ago and jonah threw up all over my back!!! I tried to do it again yesterday (w/o dh's help) and jonah wouldn't cooperate, he was obsessed with looking at the dog and had his body twisted to look at her. I'll try again, but I'm hoping I eventually get it. He loooooves looking at everything right now. About the mesh carrier, I have a solarveil ring sling. It is ok in the pool, never got around to trying it in the shower, b/c it's just easier to use the baby bathtub for us. However, as a land sling the solarveil ring sling slipped a lot and had to be constantly re-tightened. I would recommend a mesh or solarveil pouch. If it is sized correctly, you should not have a probably with the baby drooping down too low.

Hope all is well and nobody is sick. We JUST got over another round of colds. : My toddler is the carrier monkey.
#329 of 341 Old 02-01-2006, 02:20 AM

*hugs*
#330 of 341 Old 02-01-2006, 03:41 AM

Heldt!!!!! What happened???

You poor mama...

User Tag List