Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2006, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabigus
Yay, Kate! I'm donating vicariously.

sadness: since I don't have a deep freeze, I'm going to have to start throwing away my frozen pumped milk that's nearing its 3 month limit. waaaaaaaa!
Wow, I can't even imagine having that much milk in storage. I pump and baby eats it -- and many ounces of formula -- the following day. Wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2006, 02:22 PM

just fyi, if you have a deep freeze it keeps 6-12 mo. and it doesn't "go bad" - it just begins to loose some of the helpful vitamins, etc if it has been frozen a long time.

with dd i had over 300 oz of ebm in the deep freeze until dh accidentally unplugged it! dd was 1 and never took a bottle, so it wasn't a big deal, but still.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:29 PM

Hi all! Jack is my second baby and I find it so different this time around. The touched out isn't there this time. I don't know exactly why I'm posting this but I do want to reassure those with their first that it passes so quickly. I can't believe now how "grown up" my 3 year old is. Sometimes now when he watches Jack nurse he will curl up in my other arm and I can "see" his baby face in the big boy that looks back at me.
I remember my g'ma telling me everytime I thought I figured out where we were, baby would be sure to surprise me. He still does
Sometimes I am finding that between the two, sometimes I don't know how to split my energy. When I'm tucking Harry in and he wants more cuddles, well - I can't let the little guy cry. But I can't let my big guy cry either. I have tried all sorts of sleeping arrangements and ds1 seems to prefer his own bed most of the time though he is always welcome to crawl into ours.
I feel like I'm letting ds1 down so much of the time and tv has become too good of a friend. Then I feel like ds2 is not getting the complete devotion that ds1 got and I feel guilty for that. I'm really working on letting the guilt go as I parent daily to the best of my abilities. Some days we watch too much tv. And somedays we get lost in some kickin' art projects. I just remind myself that this time will pass quicker than I will want it to and try and revel in the amazement of the day to day.
Now, if I could just find a way to have dh appreciate the "messy" house as a sign of lived in love.
Jack was sitting up today and playing with a toy. He was sitting against the inside of the boppy. Next thing I know, he is face down and reaching for that just out of reach toy. Ds1 gets on the floor and says "like this, jackie" and scootches along on his tummy. I can't believe how in touch he is with his little brother! Ds2 has also taken to blowing raspberries at me when having his diaper changed and cracking himself up. This kid is a hoot.
I love reading about all the babies. Someone else posted that just knowing this group is there helps sometimes. On my tough days, it does help to know that this groups is here and other momma's are doing the same things with same aged babies. It is nice to not have to skirt around the issue of baby in our bed, vax, circ and feeding. Thanks for being out there and keeping the posts going.
Wishing health to the babies who are having a rough time and sleep to everyone!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:33 AM

Kitty...I'm pretty close to PPD too. I think the weather has alot to do with it. It's rained 22 of the last 23 days here. Have you been able to get yourself feeling better?

Owen and I fell down the stairs today!!! It was the scariest darn thing. He was fine...I strained my ankle and banged up my knee. He cried for a couple seconds because he was startled but I was able to keep him from hitting the wall or the floor, miraculously. I am so thankful that I didn't fall on him!!!!

I know I'm missing replying to lots of your comments...I have to get back to my work computer, but wanted to check in since we had the falling drama today.

Carrie...how's Adrian??
Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Adrienne, Oh gosh, how scary. I am so glad that Owen went unscathed, but sorry about your injuries. That most have been so scary. So sorry for you.

I am just relaxing with my boys today in this great, sunny NH weather. It is beautiful today and should be all week.
Emmett is great- going to his first doc appt on Friday. I am interested to see how much he weighs now. He looks big and is in 12 month clothes already.

He has started nursing alot less frequently, however. I can't remember with DS1 if that is normal arounf this time. he is easily distracted and wants to join in on the fun. he is nursing plenty at night to make up for the day though!!!
Wow, I really adore this little man. He is so awesome and has such a great personality.

- Kerri
Old 01-10-2006, 08:29 PM

Does anyone else have a jumper? My sil loaned us hers and ds loves it. He will jump for half an hour or more.

The other day he kept falling asleep while in it, then he would jerk and the bounce would wake him up, then he'd fall back asleep and do it over again. dh related the story to me, sounded pretty funny

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:56 PM

Quick note while I'm making dinner -- Carrie, how is Adrian? I've been thinking about you guys all day.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 PM

Adriene, so scary!!! I'm so glad you're both okay.

Does anyone know anything about amalgams and chelation therapy? I'm going to have all 7 of my amalgams removed, then I want to get myself and Kier tested for mercury toxicity and look into chelation therapy (mostly for me, but if he tests high, for him, too). I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it? I might start a thread in ... dental? Healthy Living? too.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Adrienne, that's awful! I'm glad your baby was okay...but sorry you got hurt.

Is anyone else's baby starting to crawl? Henry is at the "old" end of this DDC, and he's just starting to do the army crawl this week. Where did my little infant go? He's growing up too fast!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:46 PM

chasmyn - check out health and healing and post about the chelation. i've seen some mention of it there.

adrienne - how scary! I've had some near misses - tripping on the stairs while carrying the carseat - but baby was strapped in.

adrian came through the scope fine - the only thing they found was lymphonodular hyperplasia - here is a link on it http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

basically it means that he has food allergies. Duh! Just waiting for biopsies to see if there are large amts of esoinphils - which would mean amino acid formula, no proteins at all until he heals. but for now, doc said there is no sign of allergic colitis, etc and he doesn't think it is an eso. disorder. we're taking diflucan to try and kill our yeast, and i'm taking digestive enzymes to help reduce the proteins going through my milk to him. not sure why ds isn't growing well, but then again, he spent the past 3 mo screaming if i tried to nurse him awake. he will now nurse awake, just not always that great.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 PM

Hey gang! We have been in SICK BABY LAND for a week now, and I think we're finally back on the map. Clara's teething, and has had cold symptoms on and off since thanksgiving--we all just keep passing it back and forth. Last week she started in with this nasty sounding cough so I took her to the dr. and he said it was from teething, since she's producing all this mucous and it slides down her throat. Well, it kept getting worse and I kept taking her back to the dr. and he kept saying, yup, babies often get cold viruses when their teething, but it's not brinchitus or anything. The scarriest was on Sunday when she was wheezing and having some trouble breathing. I was scared that we'd have to go to the ER (since the dr. wasn't in on Sun.) which petrified me (I have SUCH bad associations with hospitals after leaving her in the NICU for the first 3 1/2 weeks). I spoke with the dr. on call and ended up not ever taking her in, because after closely monitering her symptoms, she seemed better. Yesterday I took her back to the dr. (we went 3 x in 6 days!) and he said she was fine. Her passageways sound clear and the cough sounds bad, but it's just in her throat. Her breathing is TONS better and she's hardly coughing today. We actually had a pretty good night of sleep last night (only waking 4x, rather than every 15-30 min because of the coughing fits) and I'm praying we get another one, because I'm sick again! Whew! I'm just glad to be out of the woods with this whole thing. I do feel like I understand her body and how to care for her health more after it all. Anyway, so greetings to everyone and my heart goes out to others with sick babes, esp Carrie.

Chasmyn, what are your amalgams? I've never heard of chelation until the new issue of Mothering. Good luck to you with all that!

Also, Kitty, I'm sorry to hear that you've been hit with ppd. I've been depressed lately too, but I didn't think it would be ppd, since I'm so far post-partum. s to you!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 PM

Hello all. Glad I found this thread. Here is some info on me and DD...
DD was born 8.10.06. She just started on carrots this week and has been enjoying rice cereal on and off for a couple of weeks for some practice. Instead of eating 14oz of BM at daycare, she is now only eating 12, along with her solids. My boobs must have guessed cuz today I only pumped 13 and yesterday I only pumped 12 oz.
DD has been sleeping through the night for over 2 months from about 7pm-7am. Ahh, my db and I love it!
I just got my first period in over a year on Tuesday, along with full blown mood swings and lower back pains. I took some Chastetree Berry and that helped ALOT. Wow, I forgot what it was like. I almost felt like I did for my very first flow, 16 years ago.
I look foward to meeting you and getting to know everyone.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:43 AM

Back, now, after a brief earlier post - so glad Adrian is doing well.

Adrienne, I didn't read anything before I posted earlier, but what a scary thing - eeks. I'm happy you're both relatively unscathed.

We're nearly "army crawling" over here, too - -it's the funniest thing, since I don't actually think Adam intends to move when he's doing it. He'll scoot a little bit and then look up at me like "AAGH! What's going on?!?"...and then do it all over again. I love it, but it's going by too fast for me. Sometimes I wish I could just repeat his first month or two with the self confidence and motherwisdom I've learned since then.

Welcome, BabyDakota!

Hugs to the sick mamas and babies.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:53 PM

Just stopping in to say HI! Welcome BabyDakota!

chasmyn - I write for a dental health site so I'm probably more on the mainstream end of things....but I have read that removing amalgam fillings exposes you to way more mercury than would occur if you just left them in. Supposedly once the material sets, there is very little mercury exposure. but that is just what I have read, haven't really looked into it further.

Carrie- I hope things improve with Adrian and his allergies! Keep us updated.

Adrienne - glad you and baby are okay after the fall. That must have been scary.

Also glad Clara is better! The coughing is scary, and the wheezing even scarier. We've all had colds since before Christmas and I think are finally over them, but Zoe has an occasional cough. I assume it's due to teething too...I think her second tooth is coming in as of yesterday!

No crawling yet - not even rolling over, though she is 90% there. She is really only interested when she's not wearing a diaper, though - the cloth dipes make mobility kind of hard, lol. I remember DD1 didn't roll over until almost 6 months -- we assumed it was the cloth diaper that was stopping her!

Zoe did figure out how to make a "b" sound, so now she will talk to you -- ba ba ba ba, wa ba ba. Very cute. It's a good thing she's so cute b/c she still sleeps like crap. But it doesn't bother me so much ... I know it all goes so fast (and it is - she's 5 months old today!!) and soon she won't fit in the crook of my arm anymore....sigh.

Anyway...back to work!
Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:25 PM

The babbling is just so cute. Ds has been mimicing us with "hi". So if you say 'hi' to him he will say "haaaaaaai'. Its just adorable.

He has rolled from tummy to back maybe twice. He like most kids doesn't really like the tummy time all that much.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:27 PM

Oh and I forgot to ask. What are you all doing for BC?

Right now we aren't doing anything. It took so long to get pregnant with ds and I think it was because dd was nursing I just don't really think I do get pregnant easily while nursing. I am watching for fertile signs though.

I don't want to do anything hormonal and would rather not do condoms all the time (but will during fertile periods). Definitely not an IUD, my friend just suffered an ectopic loss because of one.
That really doesn't leave much else.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Welcome BabyDakota!

I'm glad you and Owen are doing ok after your fall, Adrienne. I fell w/ds1 when he was ~6months old and I can still see him flying out of my arms, bouncing on the pavement and rolling over. Turned out he was ok, but omg, the fear, the guilt, the saddness.

Carrietorgc - so glad to hear that Adrian is "basically" ok. You guys have been through so much - maybe your reward will be totally uneventful toddler years? No tantrums, power struggles etc? A mama can dream, can't she?

Farmlife3, I was crying after I read your post. I'm right there with you, I try so hard to see to both boys needs/wants and it's hard. Sometimes, like when I'm in the middle of a really messy toddler poop, ds2 will start to cry and I really can't go to him until I wash my hands (ds1 had a nasty stomach bug & I know the germs were all over, but I didn't want to push my luck re:exposing vs over-exposing ds2) but ds2 doesn't know that. He just knows that he wants/needs his mama and she isn't picking him up. Ds1 almost never had to wait. And its almost worse that ds2 is so easy-going (which ds1 was the antithesis of) because I know when he cries, he really needs something. He's still not real ond of the sling, so I've used the swing/bouncy seat more than I like, but again he's ok with it, so I know I'm not overusing it.

We've all been stuffed-up lately so the last week I've been "steaming" the whole family & it's been really helpful. Just before bed we all file into the bathroom (which is pretty small, so this is quite the feat in and of itself) and I turn on the shower as hot as it will go and we all sit in the bathroom for 15-20 minutes. The last 10 minutes or so, I fill up the sink w/more hot water & put in ~10 drops of Chammomile essential oil (helps relax & w/teething pain) and sort of stand ds2 over the sink to breathe that in. When we're done in the bathroom (we read, sing songs, etc) I turn off the water & we leave the bathroom quickly into the coolness of the house. The heat is set to 60 at night and this in combo w/the steam treatment seems to help w/our breathing and keeping the mucous from getting too thick - thus it's easier to breathe. Like I said, it's working really well for us.

Wow - army crawling already?! Ds2 rolls front to back, back to front and kind of rotates around in a circle while on his back to see things better. He has this stuffed penguin toy that he loves and when he sees it he'll grab it, smile BIG and then shove it into his mouth to chew on it - lol - I call him my little piranha.

Mamao'two - we're not using anything yet, but around 6 months we'll start charting/temping (Taking Care of Your Fertility describes how to use this method, called FAM or Fertility Awareness Method) and using a condom during questionable times. That's what we did after ds1 was born & we succesfully avoided from 6 months unti lwe conceived ds2 when ds1 was ~18 months. This way is more reliable than just pulling & praying, yet you don't have to use a condom every single time. I've thought of using a diaphrapm, but I get yeast infections from some spermicides/lubricants and it seems like it wouldn't work as well spontaneity-wise. The way it works for us is dh carries a condom around in his pants pocket and that way if we get the opportunity its quick and easy to take advatage of it. About as spontaneous as you can get w/a toddler in the house!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:48 PM

Nancy - something I meant to ask you about rsv, is it a severe cold or something that mimics a cold in symptoms and then gets worse? Is it contagious in & of itself? One of dh's cousin's kids has/had it and we saw them 2 days before he was diagnosed, so I'm just wondering what signs I should be on the lookout for.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:18 PM

rsv is very contagious and in adults/older kids is just a cold/upper resp. cold.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:32 PM

Hi all.. just sticking my head back in to say hey and see what's going on with all of you. Not a whole lot going on with us. We are finally in our own place as of last september 9, but still don't have internet. We're getting a digi cable/broadband combo for my birthday next month, so hopefully I'll be able to check in more often.

Miss Emma is awesome. she's 17 lbs. 9 oz, they didn't tell us her length at last visit but I'd guess it somewhere around 29-31 inches. She's not crawling yet, but she has the whole scoot on the tummy thing down to a science. She's rather quick at it, til she gets tired or irritated, then she just quits and cries til she's turned over or rembers she can do it herself now.

anyways, like I said, just coming in to say Hey and give a quick update. Hope to be back for good soon..
Old 01-11-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926
chasmyn - I write for a dental health site so I'm probably more on the mainstream end of things....but I have read that removing amalgam fillings exposes you to way more mercury than would occur if you just left them in. Supposedly once the material sets, there is very little mercury exposure. but that is just what I have read, haven't really looked into it further.
Nancy
That's true if you remove them by drilling. There is a safe way to remove them that will not be worse. Not every dentist knows how to do it, they have to be specially trained, use special equipment, have proper disposal procedures, etc.

Not true about there not being mercury exposure. With every chew, mercury vapors are released. And those vapors are absorbed very rapidly by the brain - about 80% of them. Also with hot food the vapors will be released. And if they are touched by metal, I believe. Very very scary stuff, especially when you consider the possible health effects.

There's a great article about it here.

CarenSwan, amalgams are silver fillings. They are 50% mercury. I'm so sorry to hear about sick baby! And glad to hear things are getting better.

Welcome baby Dakota!

I'm amazed that some of our DDC babies are crawling already! Kiernen sits up well, but still refuses to roll all the way over, and is so anti tummy time. I suspect he'll walk before he ceawls, too! But I am in NO hurry.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith
How often are we nursing at night?

((laughs softly to herself as she types))

It is, as someone posted here in LWAB, an all night nurseathon sometimes. My ped also likes to emphasize that babies "can go 8 hours at night" - but the baby at my house likes to nurse 2-6 times a night. We cosleep, and I have no idea if he would want to nurse less if we didn't. A and I were only really able to begin side-lying nursing over the last month to six weeks or so, so I was previously getting up in a rocking chair half a dozen times through the night...........oh, how I love nursing in bed now......

My pediatrician for my 4 1/2 month old saids the same thing and ALSO my family friends. What do they know about training babies to "sleep through"?!? And it annoys me because now i feel like i should be changing things to make my baby boy sleeppp longer... should I?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 PM

What could you change to make your baby sleep longer? You could roll the dice and introduce a nighttime feeding of "food", but you have to weigh the benefits of bfing to the benefits you would get from *maybe* getting more sleep, not to mention the risks you take introducing foods at this point. Nothing is guaranteed.

You could do like I do: Shake head in an affirmative manner. Say convincingly, "Yes, doctor". Go home and do what you know is best. Repeat as necessary.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 01-11-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
What could you change to make your baby sleep longer? You could roll the dice and introduce a nighttime feeding of "food", but you have to weigh the benefits of bfing to the benefits you would get from *maybe* getting more sleep, not to mention the risks you take introducing foods at this point. Nothing is guaranteed.

You could do like I do: Shake head in an affirmative manner. Say convincingly, "Yes, doctor". Go home and do what you know is best. Repeat as necessary.
Ahhh i see...so basically makign a baby sleep longer is a game that you have to play
Old 01-11-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama

Me too!

I forget who said this - Deborah?, I think it was you? - that the doctor could come over to your house and take care of the baby at night, if he'd like... I LMAO when I read that, and am not sure I won't giggle during our next ped appt. because of it.

Oh, & speaking of sounds, the "haaaaaaai" is the best! That's mainly what we're getting over here, except this week I had a funny episode in the middle of the night (and I don't usually think things are funny then!) -- Adam was up for a dipe change at 4 am, and didn't fall right back asleep -- he started making *all* of the sounds he knew how to make, quite happy with himself. I patted him and said "Honey, let's go back to sleep, okay?" -- and I swear, he made a sound like "Okay!" -- I was so amazed that I was wide awake, and said "Okay!", enunciating it clearly and happily for him. He repeated the same sound -- "Okay!" back to me, and I did it back... By this time, dh was awake, and I kid you not, we "Okay"ed back and forth for nearly a minute. It was so cool!! It is amazing how much they learn.

Oh, btw- welcome, Non!!

Old 01-12-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Heyyyyy everybody.

Sorry I've been out of it... the teething and nonsleeping... ugh.
Actually, I'm fine with the waking every 1.5-2 hrs, needing to nurse or be rocked back to sleep. No problems with that. We have needed to get up to nurse though because ds also does that thing with the 100mph nipple rip, and it's getting old. Fast. And he just squirms and squirms and squirms. But two nights this week he has decided to wake up inthe middle of the night, so we're awake for 90-120 minutes, and that I'm not cool with. :yawning:

What's really irking me is that he is so distracted. Like somebody else said, if there's a noise, he has to know what it is. He's crying bc he's hungry, but he's arching around to look at the wall because he, you know, might miss something. Gah!

Woops, waking up.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith

I forget who said this - Deborah?, I think it was you? - that the doctor could come over to your house and take care of the baby at night, if he'd like... I LMAO when I read that, and am not sure I won't giggle during our next ped appt. because of it.
Yep, that was me!

I'll be thinking of you as you giggle your way through the next pedi appt.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:40 PM

Adrienne--Hope Owen is okay! I've been thinking about you as I work from home with baby by my side (or over the neighbor's house).

All--
O is not even near crawling yet. That's okay by me! She just rolled from her stomach to back today..she wasn't able to that in December. She used to roll from back to front and then get stuck and then cry.

Ever since I read the Continuum Concept, I've been holding her as much as possible.. I figure when she starts to crawl that she won't want to be held so much, so I'm doing it as much as I can now. Sure, I do sometimes put her down in the swing or her pack and play when I need a little baby-free moment.

I've enjoyed the extra cuddles by doing this.

It's amazing how we used to be confused about what she wanted -- I had trouble knowing when she was tired -- and now I know about 98% of the time what the heck she wants. Pretty neat.

Take care you all!

Oh, I have new photos:
http://www.lifespacecoach.com/gallery/main.php
Old 01-12-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin
What's really irking me is that he is so distracted. Like somebody else said, if there's a noise, he has to know what it is. He's crying bc he's hungry, but he's arching around to look at the wall because he, you know, might miss something. Gah!
Me, too!!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Zoe has tooth #2 coming in! The other bottom front one.

chasmyn - thanks for the link, but I have a hard time reading supposed scientific information without any references....people can make up numbers and put them on a website, and there's no way to know where they came from or if they're reliable, you know? I don't just mean that for this issue, but for any scientific/medical issue.

I do think there are more problems w/amalgam fillings than most dentists would like to think, and that they probably do release mercury long after they are placed. But that's more a gut feeling than anything.

Anyway...I hope the procedure goes well!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.

User Tag List