Forum Jump: 

#121 of 341 Old 01-16-2006, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith
Ordered new CD online & the order was sent incorrectly - she sent me two, size zero Kissaluvs. They fit into the palm of my hand and are SO freaking cute. It almost (shudder) makes me think about having another one. DH is ready....but then, he's not the one who gets up at night with ds, so of course *he's* ready! Me, not so much... But the dipes were so cute.

Em
Speaking of, anyone thinking about having another??? (August still fits into the largest setting in his size zero Kissaluvs!) He is our first and DH and I aren't getting any younger. We're thinking of one more -sooner rather than later, but yikes..the idea is a bit overwhelming. I'd like to be back in shape first, which I'm a long way from, the weight isn't falling off with breastfeeding like I'd heard. ugh. We did get ourselves an elliptical runner for our New Year's resolution and I've started with sit-ups..no big results yet! We thought we might try again in May or June if all's well. For those of you who have more than 1, or are planning more -what do you think about spacing?

so sorry about your sick bug, mamarbh and your scary fall - kitty. Best wishes for speedy recovery to you both. in your shoes, mamarbh, i'd probably call the ped and ask what to do besides antibiotics?

Little August loves his naked time after baths and his half-naked time when we change him- we usually let him air out awhile and play, it's his fave!
He does seem to be doing more nighttime (early am) nursing...

Here are some recent pics of the little guy I'm so in love with;
http://www.soulshinefamily.smugmug.com/gallery/1094821

That Olive is just adorable HH! Great pics!
and I always enjoy your blog Caren- Clara is such a cutie!
I don't post much but lurk a lot and appreciate that you all are here!

best,
tracy

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#122 of 341 Old 01-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Kitt- How scary, hope you are doing better! s
btw: What is the sign for nursing/breastfeeding? Do you know? I just used the genaric sign for "eat" with Nathan, but I'd like to have a separate one. I've started to just use one I made up - fist patted to mouth - because I didn't know the real sign.

Tracy - Another?

It all depends on when you ask me. Today I'd say never any more! I really like the 3 year spacing, but that is for my own selfish reasons of not wanting to tend two babies/toddlers at the same time. We'll have another, but not sure when yet as I'm going to be homeschoolong, and I'm not sure how well that would go with a baby in the house. : Yeah, I know I'm a whimp!

Your little guy is so cute! He's getting so big! What is that seat? It looks so neat-I want one!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#123 of 341 Old 01-16-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123
Kitt- How scary, hope you are doing better! s
btw: What is the sign for nursing/breastfeeding? Do you know? I just used the genaric sign for "eat" with Nathan, but I'd like to have a separate one. I've started to just use one I made up - fist patted to mouth - because I didn't know the real sign.
Most people I've read ust do the sign for milk - opening and closing the fists like you're milking a cow That's what we use.
#124 of 341 Old 01-16-2006, 11:04 PM

milkin' the cow..see my stepdaughter WAS right..I am a fat cow ROTFLMFBO!!

About sick babes, I put Nathanael with a warm mist vaporizer. He has to have it all the time to breathe. He's not exactly sick per se' just has horribly narrow passages and is constantly trying hard to breathe and the steam helps.

Nathanael started really vocalizing today. He has been doing "ah goo" once in a great while but today it was ah gooo and then a raspberry and other load vocalizations. It was so precious! He also did some belly laughing while being tickled! I LOVE it! Seems like today was either nurse or tickle...he just couldn't seem to get satisfied.

Haaaave a good one! School's back tomorrow. Kitty
#125 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Most people I've read ust do the sign for milk - opening and closing the fists like you're milking a cow That's what we use.
yes, that's what i've seen too. sometimes adding the sign for mama before milk.

jamie, thanks! Your boys are a handsome lot too!
The seat in the pics is the Bumbo he got for Christmas, and which was discussed on this thread last month. He digs it for short periods of time 10-20 minutes which is just about right to do some cooking or whatever ... we took it to a restaurant with our friends the other night and he loooved sitting on the table in the middle of the conversations!

the vaporizer is a good call- kitty, we used it when august had his nasty cough and i think it helped!

#126 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 01:05 AM

Whew! I just did a reading marathon, catching up on everyone's news. Jeez, you disappear for a week and the posts start piling up.

Yikes to the two falls! It's been so icy here lately, I'm thinking about getting a pair of yak traks. And hope all those colds and sniffles get better. I just started doing some research on whether to get a cold mist or hot mist vaporizer. (Opinions, anyone? Problem with hot is mold and danger of burns; problem with cold is that you have to used distilled water or risk vaporizing minerals into the air.)

I've been off the boards for about a week, dealing with family drama and with getting back to school. In a nutshell: we interviewed and just hired a sitter for 10 hours a week, which is an enormous relief. Dh and I were just falling further and further behind in our work, and we found someone we both just liked enormously right off the bat. She starts on Wednesday, and while I'm not so happy about being away from ds for an additional 10 hours, I think it will lower my stress level significantly since I won't be in danger (I hope) of being kicked out of my academic program. The family drama: well, suffice it to say that one of my siblings has made a monumental (and controversial) decision, and I'm not sure how well the family is going to weather the dissent. Worst-case scenario, this is the beginning of the end of my family as I know it. (Not to be deliberately cryptic, but it's a sensitive topic and not my story to tell.) My heart has been so heavy this week--I just feel dazed and out of it and want to self-medicate with chocolate.

It's just amazing to hear what August babies are doing. Ds had been reluctant to roll over until Friday, and since then he won't stop flipping over, even in his sleep. His fine motor control is just amazing--he turns things over, checks them out, shakes them, passes them from hand to hand, etc. He's also continues to be crazy crazy social--he'd rather flirt than eat. Downside, like many, to all this development is some serious marathan night nursing. No teeth yet. In fact, I wonder if we mistook an ear infection for teething, since he seems to be "teething" a lot less now that he's recovering from a nasty cold.

Back to the books. Classes start back up tomorrow, which means I have to get and shower rather than lounge around until ds wakes up. Gurg.

cheers to all,
Nancy
#127 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 AM

Soooo....milking the cow, eh? Moooooo! Duh! How come I never thought of that one?

Nancy - sorry about your family thing. s s I hope things will get better.

I second the vaporizer. I just had one in Nathan's room the last couple nights as we both had a mild cold (although it would probably done more good in our room as he usually ends up there anyway.). Funny, Johnathan hasn't really shown any signs of getting it, but it wasn't a really bad strain in the first place. Must be all that cod liver oil we've been guzzling this year!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#128 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 02:15 AM

Hi! I was hoping it is not too late to join here.
I have a 13 yo son, a 3 1/2 year old daughter and a beautiful baby boy, Jason, born 08/09/05.

He is amazingly happy and peaceful! We call him 'the old wise one'.

He has been rolling around quite regularly and rigorously for a month or so now. He sat on his own on Christmas morning for the first time, but is not steady about it. He laughs and smiles nearly all the time.

He showed many signs of readiness for solids, so we tried him on them for a few weeks. Big mistake! We were horrified to have to both comfort him while he screamed his head off, (a rare occurance), trying to push out his hard, adult-like poopies, (?TMI?). We stopped him immediately and will keep him off for the time being.

He sleeps amazingly! If he is laying next to me, he will sleep on and on, just stirring long enough to nurse. I think the powers that be are making it up to me cuz my other dc never slept!! (in fact, we still miss sleep due to dd!)

Anyway, I know it is late in the game, but I would like to be here and chit-chat with all of you.
#129 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 10:58 AM

Welcome, Sandy!! Glad you found the thread....you will benefit greatly from
the chatting here!

Nancy....the family issues...I'm so sorry your heart is heavy. I've been known to try to lighten my heart with chocolate, as well. I hope your sister's decision creates less tension amidst your family than you think. Here's to peace...

We've had the cool mist humidifier in our room (ds co-sleeps) for the past two nights. His chest seems to be less full....though still quite messy. He slept better last night. I think health may be closer than I thought.

I have a question for those of you co-sleeping...
Are you worried about all of this rolling over leading to falls and/or suffocation? I have been insanely worried about it. I need to get over it. I worry when I switch his to my right breast that he'll roll off the edge of the bed....and I worry while he's at the left breast that he'll roll over and sleep with his face in the bed. Is this when many co-sleepers end up in their cribs? My worries may be made worse by the death of DH's brother to SIDS...it was 20 years ago, but his mother told me the story while I was prego with my first and I just can't get the images out of my mind. Andrew's middle name is that of DH's brother - Paul. Anyway, I've worried about this with each of my babes...but more-so with Andrew.

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#130 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenSwan
I'm close to finishing Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn and it is FACINATING! I've worked with kids for years (put myself through college by nannying, and I worked at a preschool after college) and the book is really making me rethink a lot of things that I've taken for granted in terms of discipline--for example, time-outs. I've never heard of someone being against time-outs before but Kohn's point is that it plays on the child's worst fears of abandonment by her care-givers. Wow! Anyway, I'd love to chat with anyone who's read it because it's blowing my mind.
I read this a few months ago (back when Henry was at the stage of taking naps on me while I sat in the glider) and it completely blew my mind too! I had been a nanny and a stepmom for ten years, and thought I knew it all. It totally changed all my ideas of how to raise kids. I have to re-read it again, though, as I can feel myself slipping. I guess he's got a DVD of a lecture on UP and I'd like to get that for DH to watch. It has changed how we talk to Henry -- no more "good boy!" or "he was so good!" Now I thank Henry for being patient, or say, "Wow, you worked so hard and then you rolled over!" It sounds silly, but I figure if I get in the practice of doing it now, it will feel natural when Henry can really understand. I'd love to talk to you more about it, but there's also an UP tribe on MDC, too.

Aeriane, how scary! I hope you feel better soon.

We've been using a warm mist humidifier in our room (we co-sleep) for months now, after Henry woke up one morning coughing. It seems to help all of us breathe better. I like the warm mist kind better because the cool mist seems to make me chilled, and I'd heard that the hot water actually kills mold, and it's the cool mist that runs the risk of mold.

About co-sleeping...we have a bed rail on my side of the bed, so I'm not worried about Henry rolling out. (Although we're planning on putting our mattress on the floor soon, as he's starting to crawl!) I never really worried about him putting his face in the mattress. He pretty much sleeps curled up on his side facing me no matter which side of me he's on. I don't know, I feel safer having him WITH me, because I can check in an instant if he's breathing and comfortable and warm enough. We are planning on adding a twin to the side of our queen, though, because the three of us are kind of scrunched up right now. A baby takes up more space than I would have thought!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#131 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 01:55 PM

Hi all! Gosh, so much to read and catch up on. I, too, would love the study guide to the Continuum Concept.

I'm so sorry to hear about the falls. I remember once my mom fell down the stairs in front of me with a babe in arms. Frightening!

Lots going on here still. Annabelle is sitting up completely on her own and can sit independently for three or four minutes. Then she launches herself onto her head forward - I believe this is the transitional posture to go from sitting to crawling. She is so happy to be sitting and we now have her at the table with us for meals in her own seat. Downside is she's really getting frustrated on her tummy, which she has always liked.

We do steam every day and night here all winter long. It is so dry in CO and this winter is so windy too. I also turn the upstairs humidifier on during AB's naps. Today both girls have runny noses so we are back to ebm drops in both their noses. I can't tell you how miraculous it is at clearing up congestion and runny nose.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#132 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 03:27 PM

Hi everyone!! I haven't posted a lot in this forum but I have been trying to read along, but it's so hard to catch up! You guys seem like a big family and all know each other already, i hope it's not too late to join in the chat!
#133 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Both boys are asleep, so here I go....
Sorry about the falls ladies--- how scary. I am convinced I will fall down the stairs in our old farmhouse, but haven't yet. Take care of yourselves.
We use a warm humidifier every night too. I heard the cool also harbor mold, but I suppose you can wash it out every day or something and that would work just fine too.
Ummm- what else were you all talking about? I have already forgotten!!

I am having a bit of the Winter blues. It is hard with two babies, not being able to get outside because it is so damn cold. If it is over 20 degrees I'll do it, but otherwise we are inside. I don't have the patience with the kids inside all day though. I'm doing OK and Dh is great with giving me breaks and all, but Jan and Feb are difficult ones for me.

Emmett is almost sitting up. He will stay up for a few seconds and then topples over. He is also verbalizing alot- so cute. I really love him to pieces.
My 2 1/2 yo is sweet. loves his baby bro. he is talking up a storm of late and saying funny things.
" Me the boss, applesauce" was the latest. Funny guy.

I guess that is it. We have visitors coming form Cali in Feb and we are going to NC in March, so I am excited about that.
Take care everyone. Boy/s are up!!!

- Kerri
#134 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Hi wackynaturelady! New member here too...

Your baby Jason sounds like my baby Christopher...how he is happy and peaceful! My baby started flipping too a couple of weeks ago but whenever I have him in more than one layer of cloth, he can't seem to have the strength to! I think he is just too chubby to lift his upper body!

He just started saying ma ma and ba ba and it's tooooo cute! Too bad he doesn't know that mama refers to me!! =)

take care!

-Nonny
#135 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRBH
Are you worried about all of this rolling over leading to falls and/or suffocation? I have been insanely worried about it. I need to get over it. I worry when I switch his to my right breast that he'll roll off the edge of the bed....and I worry while he's at the left breast that he'll roll over and sleep with his face in the bed. Is this when many co-sleepers end up in their cribs?
I don't worry about it, but then we do it a little differently, I think. Because DH and I have different mattress needs, we have different mattresses. He sleeps on a regular queen mattress and I sleep on a full size futon. We have them puched together to make one giant bed (they're the same height). Kiernen sleeps on the futon with me, but when we had Quinn, he slept on the queen mattress with DH (again, pushed together). With Quinn, the mattresses were on the floor, as well. So when he did crawl and walk, if he ever fell off the mattress, it was all of a few inches. I suspect we'll do the same once Kiernen crawls, too.

Everyone has their own blankets - Kier's are sized for him - so no worries about accidentally being covered with a big comforter or something. And because I sleep close enough for Kier to reach me and he wakes so frequently (well, more stirs than wakes - he likes to nurse both when he's hungry and when his diaper is wet). I don't ever switch him to my other side, though - I have *ahem* very large breasts and can use either one to feed him on the same side of me. So he is always in the middle. I generally sleep on my back, too, and I never roll in my sleep (I sleep with a pillow under my knees), so no worries there.

I agree that it is in fact safer to have him next to me, not to mention easier.

Now, if all three of us had to be on that queen mattress, I suspect DH would make a separate bed on the floor. There just isn't enough space.
#136 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 06:03 PM

I'm in the process of training my right boob to do all of the feeding at night....so he'll stay between us... and I put a sleep sack on him and DH and I have different blankets, so that's never an issue. I think I have a fear of SIDS thanks to my MIL sharing the deepest of details with me about losing DH's brother. For example - if I'm downstairs and hear DS crying after a nap....on my way up the stairs I have these horrible images in my head of him having buried his head in the bed because I wasn't moving fast enough... My mother suggested moving him to a crib to get away from the images and fears..... but he doesn't have a bedroom... DD2 has a sleep disorder, so I can move the girls into a room together. And besides - I really love nursing him all night and waking up to his beautiful little face.

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#137 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRBH
Are you worried about all of this rolling over leading to falls and/or suffocation? I have been insanely worried about it. I need to get over it. I worry when I switch his to my right breast that he'll roll off the edge of the bed....and I worry while he's at the left breast that he'll roll over and sleep with his face in the bed. Is this when many co-sleepers end up in their cribs? My worries may be made worse by the death of DH's brother to SIDS...it was 20 years ago, but his mother told me the story while I was prego with my first and I just can't get the images out of my mind. Andrew's middle name is that of DH's brother - Paul. Anyway, I've worried about this with each of my babes...but more-so with Andrew.
Yeah, I am really scared about that, and that is part of the reason we don't co-sleep full time. Our bed isn't that big, so I worry that he will fall off on the one side (I usually have him on his side with my arm around him). And if he is in the middle, I'm afraid of my 3-1/2 yo kicking or rolling on top of him. Nathan is a very restless sleeper and bumps him all the time. I usally don't fall asleep when he's in bed with us because I'm worried about him getting hurt.

Sometimes I will take him on the couch with me and let him sleep on my chest, or I will just lay a blanket down on the floor and sleep with him there. I'm also still afraid of laying him down on his back. The last two times I actually got him to sleep on his back--a rare occurance indeed--he spit up and started choking really badly, so I've been scared to lay him on his back.

Hi & Welcome Sandy!

#138 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 PM

Hi there. Like Sandy and Nonny, I'm new here, too, although I've been lurking and posting occasionally to a few other threads. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts to the August babies thread, but also inspired and reassured by the topics you guys discuss. It is so wonderful to connect with other moms whose babies are the same age. Anyhow, my name is Skana and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. With hubby Dave I have two wonderful kids -- Griffin turned 8 in November and Tova was born Aug. 24/05. Glad may not be the right word, but I don't feel so alone after hearing from the other moms whose August babies are only napping for 40-minute stretches once or twice a day. Tova is generally very easygoing and a good nighttime sleeper, but in the past six weeks she has become so alert that she just won't seem to let herself nap, even though she is crazy tired. It's very cold here this time of year, but I still try to get her outside for walks in the buggy, because at least then she gets a bit of a cat nap. The car works sometimes, too. But it's definitely challenging because I would love to use that time to get a few things done around the house. Also, in the past two weeks or so, the baby who previously only woke (sometimes I had to wake her) once to nurse in an 11 to 12-hour night has now begun waking two or three times with what appears to be teething pains. She has been drooling like mad and chewing on anything that crosses her path and I feel so badly for her in the night, because she seems so distressed. My son didn't get any teeth until he was about seven months old, and didn't have any real problems getting them, so this is a new learning experience for us. The night-waking seems to leave her overtired, so instead of her easygoing self she's been kind of cranky in the day. But still refusing to nap. I laughingly told some friends that the new behaviour seemed to start when I gave up my daily dose of chocolate on Jan. 1. LOL. It's interesting to read about the various sleeping arrangements, too. Tova is in a co-sleeper and sometimes in bed with us, but she seems to sleep best with a bit of her own space. My son was with us much more and wasn't as restless until he got bigger. My philosophy is to do whatever works so that everyone gets the best sleep possible. Even with my eight-year-old we still occasionally play musical beds. Like some of the other babes, Tova has started rolling from front to back and is quite pleased with herself, although she generally doesn't care to be on her tummy much at all. She's not really sitting, except with lots of help, but loves to stand (refuses to sit, really) when she's on your lap. She nurses frequently in the daytime, probably about every hour, and I've been a bit concerned about her greenish, oozy poops lately, although it seems like they may be the "drool stools" Dr. Sears associates with teething. My, they keep us guessing at this age, don't they? Anyhow, I'm blathering on. Just glad to have found this August tribe. I'll keep reading and hopefully find time to post now and then.

Cheers,
Skana
#139 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 10:09 PM

I just wanted to say welcome to Sandy, Nonny and Skana! Just jump in, chime in anytime, the more the merrier! :
#140 of 341 Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 PM

Yes, just echoing a welcome to the new mamas- Sandy, Nonny and Skana!
Happy to have you aboard! The mamas here are awesome!

#141 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 12:23 AM

Wow, what a long day.

I was such an IDIOT today - I'm really not as stupid as I sound now, but here goes: gotta remember Canada is a foreign country.

I went to university on the US/Canada border (on the US side), with most of my hospital rotations in Canada, a lot of our shopping over there, etc., and the two towns always felt like one big one, with just a bridge in between. It was never a big deal, in my mind, to go back and forth. However, that was all before 9/11/2001.... So dh and I decide that we're going shopping today, and we drive over to Sault Sainte Marie, MI - across the bridge is Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario - we decide to just go over for lunch because I felt the need for some Tim Hortons. Cross the bridge & get to the border patrol booth, and she asks re: ID for the baby.

We didn't bring his birth certificate.
Or ANYTHING to prove that he was ours.

The questions are usually so routine, but when she determined that we had a child in the car without proof of ID, we got pulled over to the dreaded Building. Go inside, and have to spend serious time identifying ourselves and answering questions about our ID, our baby, etc. - horrible things kept going through my mind. Since we were in the Building, I guess there's a technicality that you aren't in Canada, and you aren't in the US...you're in that no-mans-land....like Tom Hanks in "The Terminal".....I just had awful scenes through my head involving Canadian CPS, having to get a lawyer, being dragged kicking and screaming from my baby.....etc., etc., etc.

They finally let us through after much lecturing (well deserved....add much self-beration to this!!), and we had a nice lunch and went back to shop.

I just felt really awful about creating the entire scenario, and so glad it all ended well. Noted to self re: not endangering the family at international border crossings....

Anyway...!!!! On a positive note, we went to the Sears over there, and of all civilized, wonderful things to do, they had a "nursing room" there! It was clearly labeled and signed as such, and inside it was CLEAN, and had a sink, a changing table, a comfy glider rocker, and a table full of bf support and info for the local & provincial resources available. I love Canada anyway, and here was one more reason.

I have often gone into tirades about the US and how if we actually *valued* the family and our children the way we say we do (and lecture other countries about doing : ), then we would have things like this! It was so nice. I have really no problems about NIP (except for exposing this serious belly of mine), but it was nice to have a quiet place where ds wasn't so distracted by the wonderful world around him while he nurses!!

Welcome, Skana & Sandy & Nonny! I love everyone's new pictures - one of these days I'm going to learn how to do that.

Kitty, isn't the vocalization FUN? I love it. Haven't yet gotten "ma ma" or anything truly word-like yet, but Adam's making sounds from the back of his throat, it sounds like - if he weren't my own ds, I'd think he sounded like he was trying to cough up something awful!! He just smiles and makes those sounds - I think he's fascinated that he can make such lovely noises (to him!), and occasionally inserts an "Oooh!" lately, but mostly the throat noises.

Nancy, here's a big hug and a little chocolate to boot -- I'm sorry for your pain. Family is hard sometimes. When you said "the end of my family as I know it", I felt sad for you. I hope you and your family will find peace.

Good night, all -

Em

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#142 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 12:24 AM

Hey thanks for all the welcome. I guess I'll introduce myself some more. My baby was born on Aug 22nd and growing healthy as ever. He just started flipping a couple of weeks ago, but recently gotten lazy probably because of the extra layers of cloth on him. His cheeks and thighs are so chubby too, that might also contribute to the lack of flipping. Baby is also more alert and awake during the day now, but I am still struggling with the whole "sleeping through the night" issue, wondering when thats gonna happen. I have a husband who loves our baby but has problems finding ways to play with him. He needs to spend more time with our baby and I am loosing ideas for him. I personally don't know a lot of moms so joining this forum was a great idea. I am looking forward to reading more of your stories, happiness, and tears along the way as we raise our August babies.

take care!
Nonny

#143 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 12:33 AM

OOoooh one more thing....just past weeekend, baby started saying ma ma and ba ba!! I know he doesn't know what mama means but hearing it sure makes my heart melt!!!
#144 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 AM

Whew!! Three new mamas!! Welcome, welcome, welcome!! Sandy, I love your screen name!

Hopefulfaith: OMG!!! That would have been so scary!! But it did make for a funny story in hindsight! I bet you had a death grip on your baby while answering questions in the Building!! I wish we could move to Canada, though.

Nancy: so sad to hear of your family problems. Even when we're grown up things like that can really cut to the core. My sister isn't speaking to anyone or letting my mom see her kids so I have some idea. It's heartbreaking. I hope it turns the corner and goes down a different path for you!

Kitty: how's your head?

Vocalizing: definitely no "ma-ma, ba-ba" here yet, but Owen has started this high-pitched singing thing which is very sweet and also finally started in on the raspberries. He discovered grabbing his toes today too. So many changes, so fast.

MamaColtrane: sorry you are trapped in the house in the NE weather! These short winter days can be pretty long, huh? I even called dh at work today to ask for suggestions on how we could entertain ourselves. He didn't have any! Spring, spring, spring...can't wait!

Yuck...back to work for me! It's hard to have my personal computer sitting next to my work computer...such a procrastinator!!!

Take care, mamas!!
--Adrienne
#145 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 11:05 AM

Hi mamas!

Sorry I've been MIA for so long...I left my job on Dec 30, and have been trying to settle into a routine of SAHMing. It's been weird -- I had put out feelers for some freelance work before I left, and I got WAY more than I had expected. That's good for money, but hard to do with kids around all the time. I took off for a coffeeshop last Saturday morning so I could get some stuff done. I'll have to work out just how much I can reasonably take on.

Samara is doing so well -- we've not had a doctor's visit or hospital stay in six weeks! We're so grateful. She seems so much better, with both the breathing and the reflux. We've even been able to nap together; the flat surface doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Her pediatrician told us to try her on some rice cereal, not for the nutrition, but just to see if she did ok with a spoon, and to try something that would be unlikely to upset her stomach. Ha. She projectile vomited for three hours after eating it, and only a teaspoon! We'll wait a couple more weeks and try either pears or avocado.

Sleep is still just awful, like many of you -- every 1 to 2 hours, all night. I know she wakes expecting to nurse every time, and that I have encouraged that by, well, nursing her every time, but I am SOOOO tired. We bought the No Cry Sleep Solution and are reading carefully, after someone gave us the Weissbluth book and it made ME cry.

She's *almost* sitting up without help these days, but still not rolling over much. She rolls from her back all the way onto her side, and my MIL swears that she rolled from tummy to back twice while she was watching her a few weeks ago, but we haven't seen it ourselves. We, too, have the cute screeches and baaa sounds, as well as raspberries. Mmmm! So cute!

I feel totally out of touch with all of you. Carrietorgc, how is Adrian? Have you been able to figure out what to do with the info from the Ped GI? Those of you with winter blues, I can't tell you how much better it feels just to get out of the house. We've been finding indoor places to go -- to story hour once a week, to the mall that has an indoor play area for DD1, just to the grocery store, etc. If it's above freezing outside, we go for a walk.

I know I've missed some big stories, and I'm sorry -- I'll catch up. I'll leave you with a funny story of DD1 -- we were at the park and she was on a "big kid swing," trying to make it go herself. I always grew up hearing that movement of your legs to swing referred to as "pumping" your legs, so that's how I described it to DD1 a few months ago when she started trying. So, when she was trying the other day, she said, "Mommy, look at me! I'm pumping a bottle!"

Hope everyone is ok!,
Debi
#146 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 12:55 PM

Em - Wow, scary! I'm really glad that you shared your story. I've always wanted to go up and visit Canada sometime, since we're not that far, but I never would have thought to bring ID for the kids. :

Debbi - glad to hear from you again and to hear that Samara is doing better!

Happy hellos to the new moms!

#147 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 05:03 PM

Em - that is a scary Canada story! We have always brought DD1's birth certificate, but they've never asked for it where we cross (NY to Quebec). I know in 2008 we will all need passports, so that'll be a fine pain.

Debi - that's great about Samara's health, and the freelance work! I have been freelancing since 1998 and it's great, but there's always something to worry about, lol. (I am the consummate worrier!)

Nancy - hugs about your family problem. I do hope things work out.

Welcome new mamas! Nonny - my DH is the same way with Zoe. He doesn't really know what to do with a baby. He and my older daughter have a blast together, though, so don't despair - it only gets easier!

Zoe is all into "ba ba ba" -- she says it a lot, in different situations, and we pretend to translate. She is also sitting up (!!!!) -- sometimes for only 10 seconds but often for 10-15 minutes with only a couple of tipping overs. She still has almost NO interest in rolling over - she's done front to back twice, but never back to front. Sascha was the same way.

Zoe's sleep is still crappy...she will sleep for a few hours at the beginning of the night, but then wakes every 2 hours. And this morning she thought 5:30 am was a good time to wake up. She also doesn't nap much -- I think she sleep way less than my 3-year-old! Thank g-d for coffee and a DH who will get up with her in the morning so I can get a solid hour of baby-less sleep.

We are thinking about trying some cereal soon. There is apparently a "window" for trying grains of 4-6 months, and if you wait until 7 months or more and have a family history of diabetes, you could increase the babe's risk for insulin problems. (This according to my best friend, a diabetes care nurse, and a few studies I read.) Both of DH's parents have type 2 diabetes so I guess we'll be trying brown rice cereal or maybe oatmeal in a few weeks.

Enough gabbing...back to work....be well, all!
Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#148 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926
Em - that is a scary Canada story! We have always brought DD1's birth certificate, but they've never asked for it where we cross (NY to Quebec). I know in 2008 we will all need passports, so that'll be a fine pain.

Debi - that's great about Samara's health, and the freelance work! I have been freelancing since 1998 and it's great, but there's always something to worry about, lol. (I am the consummate worrier!)

Nancy - hugs about your family problem. I do hope things work out.

Welcome new mamas! Nonny - my DH is the same way with Zoe. He doesn't really know what to do with a baby. He and my older daughter have a blast together, though, so don't despair - it only gets easier!

Zoe is all into "ba ba ba" -- she says it a lot, in different situations, and we pretend to translate. She is also sitting up (!!!!) -- sometimes for only 10 seconds but often for 10-15 minutes with only a couple of tipping overs. She still has almost NO interest in rolling over - she's done front to back twice, but never back to front. Sascha was the same way.

Zoe's sleep is still crappy...she will sleep for a few hours at the beginning of the night, but then wakes every 2 hours. And this morning she thought 5:30 am was a good time to wake up. She also doesn't nap much -- I think she sleep way less than my 3-year-old! Thank g-d for coffee and a DH who will get up with her in the morning so I can get a solid hour of baby-less sleep.

We are thinking about trying some cereal soon. There is apparently a "window" for trying grains of 4-6 months, and if you wait until 7 months or more and have a family history of diabetes, you could increase the babe's risk for insulin problems. (This according to my best friend, a diabetes care nurse, and a few studies I read.) Both of DH's parents have type 2 diabetes so I guess we'll be trying brown rice cereal or maybe oatmeal in a few weeks.

Enough gabbing...back to work....be well, all!
Nancy
Thanks for the reinsurance about DH! I just have to wait and see i guess...

I've been feeding baby rice cereal just before he turned 4 months and he's used to it now and eats 4 teaspoons! When he turns 5 months, I'm gonna start the Gerber baby foods. My breastmilk won't last forever! Its a good idea to get baby used to eating with a spoon and other types of foods.

Congrats on the sitting up! Christopher still likes to lean forward and grab his pants or roll to the side I think he's too chubby for himself to handle!
#149 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 06:14 PM

I've been MIA for a while -- we're still waiting to hear when Adam's visa will be processed so we can travel to South Korea to pick him up. Hopefully it won't be more than another month or so; it's getting increasingly difficult to wait.
In the meantime, I've been doing lots of shopping since he'll need clothes once we get him and I'd prefer not to be frantically trying to buy stuff while we're there. I've purchased mostly 12-month sized sleepers; does this sound like the right size? He was 8lbs11oz at birth and weighed 14lbs at 2 months old (but I don't have any further updates). Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Also, what kinds of things are your babies enjoying now that we should take with us (in terms of toys or other fun stuff)? Thanks so much.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#150 of 341 Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Kimberly - I would think that 12 month size would be about right, especially if it won't be another month or two, but you may want to bring an outfit in a larger size just in case--14 lbs at 2 months--wow. Johnathan is in 6-9 month size for the most part (he was 14lbs something at his 4 month check), but being a bit large is better than being too small. s for you. It must be sooo hard to wait.

My son loves anything he can chew on. Rings, teethers, small rattles that make noise, small stuffed animals that can be chewed on, and anything that is brightly colored and is easy for tiny fingers to grasp. Right now he loves chewing on spoons. I usually give him a great big tablespoon to munch on when I'm doing something in the kitchen--it's big enough so that he can't shove it too far into his mouth. He also seems to get a huge amount of entertainment pulling his socks off and chewing on them....I just never have enough socks because they always end up wet!

I hope everything goes well and you get your baby soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page