August 05 - Happy 2006!!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 341 Old 01-23-2006, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moms of more than one:

Have you noticed your baby getting more illnesses than your first child? dd never got sick and Grey has had 2 colds already.
Its heartbreaking that my little baby is already dealing with so much.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#242 of 341 Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
riverundine, I would so report that provider and never leave my child there again. I can't believe that! I've been a nanny for ten years and I never, ever let the children out of my sight. What is wrong with that woman?
I agree, riverundine - that is unacceptable. I can imagine how scary and maddening it was to walk in on that.

Quote:
Does anyone else's baby make seriously major straining noises? Henry just started straining and squishing up his face (think trying to poop and being really, really dramatic about it) for a few seconds at a time. I'm not sure if he really is trying to poop or just found one more thing to do. He doesn't seem upset when he does it, so who knows. It looks pretty silly though.
Kiernen does that! He grunts and sort of growls while he does it, and his face gets all red, but he isn't trying to poop. I think it's fo him a declaration of frustration - "Mama, I'm done playing here, pick me up! I don't want to do this!"

My funny, funny boy

Congratulations, Kristen on reaching 1000 posts! Woo!

Oh, amalgam update: I have no idea what to do! I read and read and read and just get more confused. Many sources say don't do the removal while breastfeeding because it basically gives a bolus of mercury into the bloodstream. But from what I'm reading, they're talking about "traditional" removal, not removal that follows a safe protocol. Holistic dentists who follow the safe protocol say that it minimizes that risk, but doesn't eliminate it entirely, and that its up to the individual to weigh the risk of possible exposure via removal vs. the risk of ongoing exposure via breastmilk.

Gaaahhh!!!!

I'm getting my hair tested, because after reading the symptoms of mercury poisoning I think it is possible I have it. More than wanting to keep my own health (and I really do), I want to minimize the risk to my beautiful boy. But it seems that there is no clear way to do that.
#243 of 341 Old 01-23-2006, 10:10 PM

Here is a link to a new thread I just started. Something is wrong with DD's legs and feet...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=400777
#244 of 341 Old 01-23-2006, 11:12 PM

Chasmyn, what are the symptoms of mercury poisoning?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#245 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamao'two
Moms of more than one:

Have you noticed your baby getting more illnesses than your first child? dd never got sick and Grey has had 2 colds already.
Its heartbreaking that my little baby is already dealing with so much.

My DD2 absolutely got more illnesses....in fact she was admitted to the hospital at 10 months for persistent vomiting. DD1 was NEVER sick...(which is really odd because DD2 breastfed for a year and DD1 for only 3 months) I always attributed it to the fact that DD1 was interacting more with others....neighbors, cousins, etc. and then bringing those germs home.
DS...he's already had that horrible cold I talked about earlier in the thread... DD1 was healthy as could be all through baby-hood. More babes, more germs, I guess.

Chasmyn.... this mercury poisoning is frightening... I agree that testing might be in order....for the safety of you and baby... please keep us updated.

I have a grunter, too! Man, I was hoping he wasn't the only one.... The boy just looks and sounds like he's making the biggest poopy there ever was! I worried the first few times.... now it seems to be a new activity! He probably appreciates the attention and giggling in response to it.

Is anyone else's little one getting worse and worse about sleeping at night?? It's starting to affect DH and how he feels at work. I'm gonna have to send him to the couch, I guess....because I'm just not ready to wean DS from our bed, yet. Oh man....that sounds horrible....kick DH out - keep the babe. I'm hoping this is some kind of phase...

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#246 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Riverundine --

That is scary. The only words I would need to know in Spanish are "adios."

Chasmyn--

I'm sorry there isn't more info for you on the mercury filling problem. That is a really hard situation and so frustrating.

Kristin--

Congrats on 1000!

All--
Thank you for your advice and good wishes on my recovery.

I made it through 7 hours of work yesterday and then felt completely wiped out and came home. I am drinking this special tea a friend sent me when I had anemia; it has a lot of vit C and other good stuff in it. I'm also drinking 2-3 EmergenC's per day and eating oranges and drinking lots of water. I managed to avoid the antibiotics and am happy about that. I did NOT want to start dealing with thrush issues, but I have a jar of Babydophilus just in case.

Baby has started wet poops due to teething. She has 2 teeth coming in in the front!!!!!! Ack.

She rolls over now without thinking twice about it and can do a "push-up." It is still hard to believe that she'll be crawling in 8 weeks or so. We have a lot to do...our house is a wreck still and I want to get things put away so she doesn't stumble or put inappropriate things in her mouth.

Um where did the past 5 months go?
#247 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 12:38 PM

I love our group! This thread grows by leaps and bounds everytime I check it - just like our babes!

Riverdune - OMFG! Please tell me you've reported her to where ever you report negligent care workers? My sister went through a similiar situation w/her first child and caregiver and it led to her finding a wonderful place that they stayed at for 3 years and the second baby went there to. So maybe this was the door opening on a new, better care situation

Henhao, good to hear you're on the mend, keep it up. I just got back to this thread or I would have told you what I did. Keep up w/all the matainence stuff for awhile, I beat mastitis w/megadosing on Vit C, water, and rest, rest, rest. But I'd tire *very* easily for another week or so. Are your bras fitting nicely? Are you sleeping on a wrinkle in the sheet? These are my two precursors to the whole plugged duct/mastitis fun.

Congrats Kristin! What's your senior title gonna be?

Ds2 hasn't gotten any sicker than ds1 ever got, but he did get a nice whack in the head curtesy of ds1 the other night. We were laying in bed and ds1 just threw his fish over at me (we have strict no throwing rules in certain places in the house, the bedroom being one of those places. So ds1 throws the fish, of course it lands on sleeping ds2's head - wakes w/a scream, tears, take away fish, ds1 starts screaming, I'm nursing ds2, dh comes in to take care of ds1...ahhh what a peaceful bedtime. It's pretty good between the two of them 99.5% of the time, so I guess it's par for the course - but did the physical stuff have to start already? Argh!
#248 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Chasmyn, what are the symptoms of mercury poisoning?
Here's what I was reading:

http://www.noamalgam.com/#WHAT%20IT%20DOES

I have a lot - but not all - of these symptoms. Which of course could be other things, too. I put the book on hold at my library so I can read the whole thing.

This is the book. .
#249 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 03:47 PM

So what is everyone doing about solids?

ds is really interested and has all the milestones except he's not 6 months old. I'm afraid of missing this window of interest but also don't want to give him something when he's not ready for it physically.

#250 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 04:04 PM

Kiernen has everything but the pincher gasp. I'm getting a mesh feeder to put maybe frozen breastmilk in and we're going to have him in his highchair with that while we eat. Then when its time, avacadoes, sweet potatoes, pears...at different times, of course. Maybe once a day, just a little bit.

I admit that sometimes when I'm eating a pear I let him suck on it - we take turns. He just really likes to do what we're doing - as someone said, he REALLY loves the cups. I've given him a sip or two of water and once a sip of my herbal tea, but really he doesn't care about that - he just wants to chew on the rim and take turns.

As exhibited here

And in this example

He really isn't drinking...but it looks like it, no?
#251 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 04:13 PM

Hi guys!
I've been MIA lately due to a busy, busy schedule. I just stopped in to say hi, but I don't have time to read all 13 pages - YIKES! That's a lot of posts!

Jessie is getting biggerer and biggerer. She's doing all those rolling over and sitting up things. She has moved to a crib next to our bed cuz she just wasn't happy sleeping with us anymore. Now she naps in the crib 2x/day for 1-2 hrs at a time, then a shorter evening nap. She goes down for the night between 9:30 and 10:30 and then sleeps 3-4 hour stretches - wakes up to nurse 2-3x/night still.

She is working on her pincer grasp right now, but SO wants to eat what we're having. Our ped suggested starting with a good whole milk yogurt, so we've been giving her yogurt mixed with mashed bananas at dinner time, plus a little of whatever's on our plate. She loves to chew on a crusty piece of bread, doesn't care so much for squash (go figure!), had a couple of bites of carrot last night, and although she really seems to like Cheerios she always makes a funny face when she's chewing them (and then asks for more!). She also like applesauce, but doesn't care for warm mashed apples - only the cold stuff. I think she'd rather chew a whole apple, but I know she'd bite off too much and choke

So that's us right now. I'll try to be better and keep up with the group, here.

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#252 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else's baby make seriously major straining noises? Henry just started straining and squishing up his face (think trying to poop and being really, really dramatic about it) for a few seconds at a time. I'm not sure if he really is trying to poop or just found one more thing to do. He doesn't seem upset when he does it, so who knows. It looks pretty silly though.
My first grunted like crazy, but Johnathan gives absolutely no warning whatsoever. You will just suddenly here a sonic blast and you know he's pooped. He'll just look around like nothing happened...so innocent!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#253 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 04:24 PM

I"m feeling sad today. Just the other night a lady that lives across the highway from us came home from work at 7 in the morning to find her house had burnt down with her husband and two children inside. :sob: I just can't imagine the sadness....

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#254 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 04:55 PM

Oh, NO...oh my, that is truly heartbreaking. My prayers are with her. Having lost a child, I cannot imagine how she'll make it, having lost both of her children AND he spouse. That poor poor Mama.
#255 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 05:30 PM

After visiting with the Ped and the Acu, the results are in.

The spots on DD's legs are petechiae (similar to purpura, but not the same thing). He believes it is from an allergic reaction. He does not know what allergy though. He wants us to do some more blood tests, at our leisure. Which is good, I need to give DD a break. Once her little poked and squeezed heels heal, we will do some blood test then. He recommended Omega 3 Oil capsules, one 2X a day, as an anit-inflammatory. All this after examing her, and the blood test results that were faxed over from CMC Urgent Care. DD does not have any signs of an infection based on her blood test results, that is probably why she does not have a fever, she does not even need the antibiotics!

After the Ped, we took DD to my acupuncturist. She believes that DD had a food allergy. She suggested that we gently massage DD's belly at least 2X a day until the spots are gone, in a clock wise motion between her belly button and where her rib cage starts to split.

DD is sleeping now, and I feel much better.

That Urgent Care doc is such a quack! : I want my money back!! As soon as I find some time, I will be writing a letter to the CMC network.

For now we will get DD and ourselves back on usual schedules.
#256 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy in NH
Our ped suggested starting with a good whole milk yogurt, so we've been giving her yogurt mixed with mashed bananas at dinner time,
You may want to consider doing a little reading on that. My understanding is that no dairy should be given before 1 year.

#257 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 06:30 PM

Hey Amy, I agree with that. I started dd1 pretty early on dairy (yogurt and cheese) and she developed a devilish allergy to dairy that led to ear infections. Also, I've been reading a lot about the dangers of dairy for girls in particular. Due to hormones and antibiotics given to cows, girls are developing and menstruating earlier and earlier, putting them at higher risk of some cancers.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#258 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 07:47 PM

heyy everyone! sorry i havent been posting, I agree with no dairy and eggs before 1 year. I'll try and keep up with everyone's posts. I can't believe the house got burnt down! I don't know what I would do without my kid and husband

on another note: how often do you guys cut your baby's nails? My baby's nails grow so fast
#259 of 341 Old 01-24-2006, 07:50 PM

And speaking of grunting noises, my baby does it too for a couple of seconds and his face turns red in the process too! Haha..I think he is just trying to say something or trying to make a sound. =)
#260 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 12:15 AM

Nonny - Hey your little guy is really cute! We have that same toy bar and Johnathan will grab the toys and the poor music slows down and sounds funny!

#261 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 12:53 AM

Actually, yogurt is a great baby food. It contain lots of high quality protein, plenty of calcium, and beneficial bacteria. Just google "yogurt for babies" and you'll get a bunch of links. There are a lot of different ages suggested for starting yogurt, and since we don't have any history of milk allergies in our family I'm really not that concerned.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1697.html

Also, products without bovine growth hormones and antibiotics are labelled as such. We order organic from our co-op.

My ped is an old hippie from the 60s with 3 grown children. He keeps up to date with the literature, but has a nice laid back style that I really like. He actually recommends making your own yogurt, but I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks for your concern, though.

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#262 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 02:15 AM

Thanks for the link for Dr. Green...the site is very helpful/useful...
#263 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 02:49 AM

Ahhhhhh I finally finished catching up on the posts on the last couple of days. My internet went down!=(

You know...I realized that I am so soooooo glad I found MotheringDotCommune! It's the only place that I can rant, read about similar experiences and share my own thoughts that's all Mom-related (which is most important for me right now)..

The Moms here are great!

Goodnight!
#264 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 02:53 AM

Does anyone here know if amalgams are still being used? And if they are no longer being used, then when did they quit using them? I have several broken teeth (will get fixed in 2 mos. when I have insurance) and a silver tooth. I had all that stuff put in in the early 90's. YIKES! I hope I don't have amalgams! Scary stuff.

Mama o'two thanks for the advice about the peas. I am going to try and stay away from highly allergic foods as he seems to be much for sensitive that my dd is/ was. One of her first foods was peas and no probs. but he seems to react strongly to things that I eat, so no telling how he'll react to the source directly. What about rice ceral with EBM?

Thanks to the mama who suggested oolong tea. I will give that a try, anything for my babe! Will head over to Sunshine Health Foods tomorrow.

Chasmyn-- WoW! Kiernan is sooooo cute! I can't believe how well he's sitting up and sooo interested in what papa is drinking

It won't be long until our babes are all out crawling. . . so exciting. . .but too! My dd recieve lots of small pieced toys for her bday. .. perfect choking hazards, will have to keep him away while she's playing with such things I suppose.

It seems that I cut nails once a week, they also grow extremely fast, I wish mine grew so rapidly!

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#265 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 11:19 AM

K's Mom, if you Google search "food allergies" you'll find a list of most allergic foods. Grains such as wheat, corn and rice are usually on the list. I know most parents start out with a grain cereal for a first food, but if I were going to try solids, I'd start with a low-allergy fruit or veggie like avacado, pear or pumpkin and serve only that for a week or two before adding another food. I'd continue like that, adding only one new food every two weeks or so. I also believe strongly in the more indigenous method of, after baby is used to these simple foods, sharing what the family is having with the baby in a ground/pureed form. Although we're delaying solids for a long time still, I look forward to sharing with Annabelle. For now, she's content to sit at the table with us in her Tot Loc chair, play with toys and make her sister laugh!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#266 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 11:36 AM

Jessie has been sitting at the table with us in her high chair too. The thing can tip back, and before that we used the bouncy seat on top of the table, so she's been sitting with us at meals since she was a newborn. Over the past couple of months she had become SO interested in food. She would pick a person to watch and then she would watch the food going onto the fork going into the mouth. It is a riot! Then she started reaching out for it. So I figured it was time.

My crazy ped thinks that if you are going to wait to introduce each new food, you need to wait longer than a few days to a couple of weeks. He says that the allergens build up over a period of a couple of weeks and if you are allergic the reaction will either show up immediately (within a few hours) or won't manifest itself for closer to 3 weeks to a month after the introduction. That's long after most people have moved onto the next food - then they think it's the new food causing the reaction. Interesting theory, no?

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#267 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 02:09 PM

Are any of you pregnant yet?

I know of 2 people who have tiny babes like ours and are already expecting another.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!
#268 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Hi mamas! I still lurk here. haven't posted in awhile though.

Dakota is getting some teeth I think! she is constantly chewing my nipples. also has this new habit of nursing NONSTOP all night long. what is up with that? anyone else's babes doing this? should I try to offer a pacifier? I am really getting crappy sleep because of this.

I have been thinking of starting solids too. I am waiting until at least 6mo though. hoping to wait longer but not sure if that's going to fly as she is becoming very interested in food and DS likes to try to "feed" her at times. she's tasted a corn chip and who knows what else.lol.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#269 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao
Are any of you pregnant yet?

I know of 2 people who have tiny babes like ours and are already expecting another.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!

Bitecher tongue, Deborah! LOL

We're done. We have two darling, fun, sweet, lovable, maddening, exhausting kidlets....and that is plenty for us. We're both in our mid- to late-30s (and right now, currently feeling way older!). I can't imagine being pregnant again (I said that for the first 18 months after DD1 was born, though). I love both of my kids madly but I am done.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#270 of 341 Old 01-25-2006, 04:44 PM

Well, I'm 40 and dh is 42 and we don't know for sure if we're done. I'd love, love, love another baby, but we need to have more financial security first. I do know that I'm looking at the next phase of my life, though and don't want to delay it too long.

What are you all doing for a sleep routine? I'm so bummed that I can't just lay Annabelle down to sleep like I could for the first four months or so. She now requires nursing to sleep - although she's still awake when I lay her down. Is that what you all are doing? The downside of trying something new is that we're finally in a nice, consistent sleep routine in terms of naptimes and nighttime sleep time and I hate to disrupt that. Routine is pretty important to me. On the other hand, I don't know if it's unrealistic to expect a baby to be able to self-soothe to sleep. Give me some input, mamas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page