August 05 - Happy 2006!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 341 Old 01-01-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd start the thread for this month! Hope everyone had a good evening last night. Although it wasn't intended, CJ stayed up to ring in the new year. I guess it was the excitement of the party.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#2 of 341 Old 01-02-2006, 12:51 AM

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#3 of 341 Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 AM

Hi all!

I wondered who would start the first thread of the year. I'd decided to send that person a treat...so Kristin, pm me your address if you'd like a treat. What I had in mind was either gingerbread or homemade cookies. Can you eat those? If not, let me know and we'll make (or get) something different.

Happy new year!!

Deb
#4 of 341 Old 01-02-2006, 01:24 AM

Happy New Year! :

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#5 of 341 Old 01-02-2006, 01:37 AM

Since the baby was born, I've been waiting for these people in helicopters to come rescue me. In the past few weeks, I realized THEY ARE NOT COMING TO SAVE ME.

Okay, seriously now...

Katie--Your family is GOR as in gorgissima! WOW oh wow! Oh, I pm'd you with my friend's info.
#6 of 341 Old 01-02-2006, 03:43 AM

Happy New Year!!!! Hope you're all having fun. Thanks for starting the thread, Kristen.

We decided to stay home last night since Owen has a cold and I have a toothache. Just waiting for the dentist to open tomorrow morning. I think I would rather give birth again than go to the dentist, darn it.

Just subbing and saying hi!
#7 of 341 Old 01-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Aw shucks, thanks so much! I agree, my girls are gor and so is my sweet, sweet husband!

Deb, thanks for the info on your friend. I look forward to calling her soon.

We had a nice, mellow NYE with some yummy champagne. I'm hoping 2006 is a nice, mellow year with lots of family love. Now that we are all settled here, I'm setting my sights on making the world a better place and working for peace, peace, peace!

Happy New Year everyone!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#8 of 341 Old 01-02-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ah misinformed but well-intentioned mothers...
I have a thread about how ds and I aren't sleeping. Talking to my dear mother today about why ds might not be sleeping, she suggests that maybe he is just ready to sleep by himself. I say, good thought but no, he isn't napping either and I've tried sleeping on the floor next to the bed. Next suggestion: Maybe he needs cereal before bed. ACK! Um, no, I offer to nurse him everytime we get up, sometimes he refuses. He's not hungry. That would be the only reason (and still not a good one imo) to give him cereal before bed to help him sleep. I honestly think this works in most cases because of the insulin rush.

I love my mama, but sometimes I just shake my head.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
#9 of 341 Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 PM

still here and reading always posting rarely. I look forward to being more active this month in the thread! I love reading about everyone's babes and seeing the pics. I will try to upload one of my boys this week.
#10 of 341 Old 01-03-2006, 04:36 AM

Kristin: sorry about the sleep challenges. All I can say is that Owen's patterns have changed too. He keeps waking himself up--he's really asleep, he wants to be asleep, but still cries out until he wakes up. It's either developmental, or gas, or teeth. But there's not all that much I can do except comfort. Good luck getting some zzzzz's!

Do your babies still have cradle cap? We cannot get rid of the darn stuff and Owen is still such a baldy that it looks awful. The doctor wants me to use dandruff shampoo, but that sems like pretty strong stuff for my fresh little baby.
#11 of 341 Old 01-03-2006, 12:09 PM

Happy New Year ladies!

Just wanted to subscribe before I forget.
#12 of 341 Old 01-03-2006, 12:15 PM

hello everyone! I hope the new year brings great things for our little ones

Good news here - my exciting diet of turkey rice carrots and pears is working - he is getting better! he'll actually nurse awake now (still fusses sometimes, but it is getting better), he is napping on his own in his co sleepr (sometimes for 2 hrs!!). it's so fabulous! i'm just watching bringing home baby on tlc right now - this poor young mom isn't even trying to nurse! she is engorged and in pain and just wants to make it go away meanwhile they show the baby is hungry.....
#13 of 341 Old 01-03-2006, 12:49 PM

Happy new year everyone!!! I went to bed at 9:30 New Year's Eve. Wahoo.

Adrienne! I just treated Zoe's cradle cap and it is GONE. I put some canola oil on her scalp and left it there for about 20 minutes, then gave her a bath and washed out the oil using a washcloth and some baby-friendly soap (no idea what kind, it was a gift). It actually still looked bad for the next day or so, but I noticed yesterday that it's completely gone! So maybe give that a try?

Whenever anyone asks how Zoe is sleeping, I say, "She sleeps like a baby!" If they are parents, they know what I mean, LOL.

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#14 of 341 Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 PM

*sigh* I have a "three line" life (signatures) yet I've been told to stay I have to cut it back to two. I don't know. I live in a country that is free and this kind of bothers me, perhaps in other countries restrictions are the norm? Whatever. I'm just kind of bummed that I can't be who I am here and that's very very NOT cool nor is it healthy so I have to bow out. sux....
*goes back to snuggling with babe*
#15 of 341 Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 PM

nak
Kitty - i'm confused...i only see 2 lines in your sig.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#16 of 341 Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 PM

Hey Kristin!

Did CJ call up my son and tell him to party all day and night?!?!? Robby just quit sleeping altogether the other day. Slept like a dream when we were out of town and we get back home and he's taking naps that are 20-40 minutes long. Usually between 1 and 3 hours! UGH...this has been the worst day of our life together so far....I've cried off and on all day not knowing what to do for my little lamb.

Praying for peace.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#17 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 12:25 AM

Do babies stop sleeping at 4 months? It took us 1.5 hours to get the baby to sleep.
#18 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 AM

Hi all. I'm a faithful lurker though I missed the end of Dec. b/c we were at the inlaws and they have dial-up internet which seems sooo sslllooowww... I'm spoiled by DSL. Anyway, Deborah, I recently read an article somewhere (here? dr sears' site?) about how sleep patterns change at 4 mos. Something about how babies are more interested in the world, so they don't nurse as well durring the day and have to nurse more at night. I know that Clara hasn't had any of those nice 6-7 hr. sleep stretches in a long time... Hang in there!
#19 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry my son is such a horrible little ringleader and that some of you aren't getting sleep now either.

Kitty, what the heck!! What if you tried taking out all the smilies and taking N's down to 8/05, trisomy21? Yeah, once I was like two words over the two-line rule, and yet I see a kajillion lines on some people all the freakin' time. And at the time the sig mod's sig looked like 3 lines to me so I asked her about it nicely and she said something about how it looked on Cynthia's screen, so I don't know how I'm supposed to know what it looks like on Cynthia's screen, so I'm at a loss. I hate to lose you over something like that. Well I hate to lose you over anything!

#20 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 01:25 AM

NO, KITTY!!!! Please don't leave us. I don't understand the siggy thing (since I don't even have one) but you're a part of our group and we need you!!!!!
#21 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 AM

Oh, Kitty - I see ppl all the time with humungous siggies - this irks me. : Please don't go!

Re: sleeping....((sigh)) -- that article from last month about 4 month olds & their sleep patterns has wholly sustained me through these last several weeks. Every so often, I'm encouraged by a 4-5 hour stretch, but those are so far and few between that I'm happy with 3 hours anymore. I tell myself that "This too shall pass", when it comes to the sleeping part, but then what else will go with it? My little guy looks at me like I am the center of his entire universe right now, and we have such a good time together that I'm reluctant for this stage to pass because that will pass, too......

Have spent the last 2 weeks with families, mine & his - is there anyone who *doesn't* want to feed my son something he doesn't need???? I'm with you, Kristen. Love my mama...but it's tiring having to be the Solid Foods Police.

Has anyone seen "March of the Penguins"? I am in penguin love. Is there anything cuter than a baby penguin...except a baby human?

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#22 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM

Zoe's first tooth broke through!! I thought I felt something yesterday but wasn't sure, but it's definitely through this morning. One of the bottom front ones. She hasn't seemed unusually fussy these last few days though...I always wonder about all the "symptoms" associated with teething....but anyway.

Sleep.....ah, sleep. I think Z woke up 3 times last night....I consider that a good night. I really am not expecting to sleep through the night again for another 2 years. My body is already used to frequent wakings again! Zoe is definitely distracted while nursing during the day - she pops off, does a little baby sit-up, looks around, then latches back on. Repeat 20 times.

henhao....for what it's worth, we don't "try" to put Zoe to sleep at all. Usually I go upstairs with Sascha to read stories, etc. and put her to bed, and Matt sits w/Zoe in the living room and she winds up falling asleep in his arms. Once she is REALLY OUT (we have to wait at least half an hour) I can take her up and put her in our bed, but even then sometimes she wakes and I nurse her back down. This is only MHO, but you can't "make" a kid fall asleep. You can make the environment conducive to sleep but if they are not ready, they will not go!

I loved March of the Penguins! We took DD1 (well, DD2 was in utero, lol) as her first movie, but she fell asleep! I had a great time though. Plus by the end, despite being VERY preggo and it being VERY hot outside, I was so happy I was a pregnant human, and not a pregnant penguin.

Okay, enough babbling...can you tell I've had a lot of coffee? Lol.

#23 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 05:27 PM

Happy new year, mamas!
Just when Evie's sleeping was getting back to "normal", she decided to teethe again!! It looks like her top teeth are coming in. I hope it goes faster this time. It looks like lots of us (unfortunately!) are dealing with a lack of sleep due to teething, holidays, and 4-5mth awareness...
We had a great holiday in Toronto with my family and had a second Christmas with my husband's family here in Ottawa, which was exhausting but fun. We went to a snowshoeing party on the 30th and Evie spontaneously sat up on her own!! She still topples every once in a while, but is generally pretty stable. She's really noticing things and interacting now-she was giving herself kisses in the mirror this morning. Too sweet! It feels like there's something new almost every day.
We started her on solids a couple of weeks ago, because she started feeding almost every hour and went from being really happy to quite grumpy. She has passed many of the "milestones" so we figured why not-if she doesn't like it, she'll let us know. She loved it, and is back to her happy self (except for the teething!). So much for my plan to wait until at least 6 months...;(
Here's to a happy and healthy 2006-good luck to everyone dealing with teething and other assorted illnesses!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#24 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 05:30 PM

Happy New Year!!!
Kitty, don't go. You are part of our group and we would miss you. Plus, you are part of the VT connection.
Life is good here. It is harder to type with babe in arms though. He keeps pushing the buttons!
MOre later.
- Kerri
#25 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 05:48 PM

I forgot to ask: how are you entertaining your babies these days? I need some new ideas.
We're singing/dancing a lot, doing floor play (toys, rolling, etc), reading, a bit of time in the exersaucer/jolly jumper (not too much!), playing airplane/swooping around...
Thanks!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#26 of 341 Old 01-04-2006, 07:14 PM

*Hello*

just found this thread...My sweet sweets is almost 5 months!
So here's a question..How often do your babes nurse at night? The doctor tells me she should go like 6 hours and it's cause she's in our bed blah blah blah. Anyway I know this isn't right. But is there like some kind of normal average for co sleeping? My DS was weird and slept through the night by like 3 weeks so this no sleep lots of boo boo thing is new to me
#27 of 341 Old 01-05-2006, 12:22 AM

How often are we nursing at night?

((laughs softly to herself as she types))

It is, as someone posted here in LWAB, an all night nurseathon sometimes. My ped also likes to emphasize that babies "can go 8 hours at night" - but the baby at my house likes to nurse 2-6 times a night. We cosleep, and I have no idea if he would want to nurse less if we didn't. A and I were only really able to begin side-lying nursing over the last month to six weeks or so, so I was previously getting up in a rocking chair half a dozen times through the night...........oh, how I love nursing in bed now......

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#28 of 341 Old 01-05-2006, 01:02 AM

ellie! I know that my dd used to sleep for 6 hrs at a stretch, but now that she's teething... NO WAY! We were up every hour last night! IMHO having her in bed just means that I don't have to haul my sorry ass out of bed 6 times in the night! Good luck to you and enjoy our rambling here.

Nancy, if you want to see some teething symptoms come over to my house! I'm off to bed because I got NO sleep last night. I'm praying for those bottom teeth to break through! I can feel them just under the gums.
#29 of 341 Old 01-05-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie_astrum
How often do your babes nurse at night? The doctor tells me she should go like 6 hours and it's cause she's in our bed blah blah blah. Anyway I know this isn't right. But is there like some kind of normal average for co sleeping? My DS was weird and slept through the night by like 3 weeks so this no sleep lots of boo boo thing is new to me
i have no idea how often dd nurses during the night...ummm...but it's a lot. we both pretty much sleep through it all. maybe 2-6x? i do know that when i wake up my boobs are pretty empty. she also isn't hungry for quite some time after she wakes up.

we're flying to pittsburgh tomorrow. i'm so excited to see the friends and fam, but i'm nervous about the flight with dd all the way across the country. especially with the teething. i may have to invest in a pacifier and some rescue remedy. i just don't want to be the person pissing everyone on the plane off, nor do i want dd to be upset that we're "stuck" in a teeny little space for 5 hours, and i'm kinda worried about her ears, cuz mine bugged me as a kid. any advise?

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#30 of 341 Old 01-05-2006, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith
My ped also likes to emphasize that babies "can go 8 hours at night" -
That is soooooo stupid. That's like saying an adult shouldn't eat more than three times a day. My mom eats five meals a day, I eat two. Don't you know that all babies are alike (she says sarcastically)?

Until recently, Annabelle woke 1x per night to eat. Lately, it's more like 2 or 3 times. I was very intentional today about noticing her cues and nursing her right away, in a dark and quiet room and helping her sleep when she immediately got tired. It worked pretty well and she nursed and slept better than she had in about two weeks. We'll see how she sleeps tonight.

BTW - my baby is 5 months old today!

Oh, and Kitty, please, please stay. We need you and would really miss you if you leave!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page