My baby is always congested - should I worry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is six months old and he's always congested. And he always has been. He's a really noisy breather, a really noisy nurser, and a really noisy sleeper. His nose isn't stopped up, but I do have to keep it cleaned out of dried stuff.

He sounds "croup-y." I've never really worried about it because he's always been like that. My dh also has really horrid allergies. Neither of our other kids have been congested like the baby is (unless they're sick - but he's not sick).

I guess I've been thinking about it a lot because I've had a lot of people ask me recently if he's sick. But he's happy and healthy. He's just noisy and congested. Can I do anything for him or is this just probably an allergy thing? It doesn't seem to bother him, but it might if he stays like this, kwim?

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#2 of 7 Old 01-01-2006, 07:39 PM

You may want to check into reflux since chronic congestion is a big red flag.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#3 of 7 Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 AM

This sounds like a dairy sensitivity. Have you tried cutting dairy out of your diet?
#4 of 7 Old 01-02-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond
You may want to check into reflux since chronic congestion is a big red flag.

Yeah..I am pretty sure my 2mos old has reflux..she's pretty congested a lot as well. Since she sleeps, eats and doesn't seem bothered by it I will just watch it..don't think it needs treatment.

Sounds like your baby is coping well too.

Good luck!
#5 of 7 Old 01-02-2006, 03:23 PM

:

My babe also rattles in his chest all the time. Very slightly. He doesn't spit up often. Isn't quite to the point of sounding croup-y.... But he has always been that way. Every since the day he was born. I thought it was just an after birth, --clearing his lungs out thing, but the weeks turned into months, and he still does it...

I will cosign this post with the OP and watch for more answers....

I also think DS has dairy issues. DH has acute gastric dairy issues, and DS has had bouts of bloody stool when I eat dairy. I stopped for a while, but according to Kellymom.com, I tried to slowly reintroduce now that he's 6 months old...And so far, no bloody stools. BUT I didn't know that it could cause the raspy rattling thing....
#6 of 7 Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM

chronic congestion can be a sign of allergies or sensitivity to some food so you may want to watch to see if you can pinpoint something.
#7 of 7 Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 PM

If not dairy alone, sometimes it's dairy/soy (similar proteins) or even dairy/soy/chickpeas (chickpeas and soy have similarities). Then if that doesn't do it, you might want to look into all the other common allergens. It may not be life threatening, but the more they're exposed to it, the less likely they are to grow out of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page