why do babies like to sleep with their butts in the air? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. Dd2 (10 months old) prefers sleeping on her tummy, with her knees underneath her and her butt WAY up in the air. I think it's very cute, and I remember ddd1 doing the same thing as a baby/toddler. Any thoughts on why babies/toddlers do this? It doesn't look very comfortable.
#2 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 09:10 AM

I don't know the answer, but my DD is behind me on my bed right now doing just that!! Isn't it cute?? Hehehe...no, it doesn't look comfy to me either!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 10:05 AM

I don't know either (fetal position-like, maybe?), but it's one of the cutest things ever, isn't it???

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#4 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 AM

Another "I don't know but it is sooooo sweet!" post!
#5 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 11:21 AM

It is super cute. Maybe it's fetal position type comfort... maybe it's instinct... It seems to happen when they sleep alone IME and maybe it's a way to keep their hands and feet warm? Just a thought.
#6 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 03:02 PM

Not sure but I do love the "butt up" position. I think it's adorable, my son sleeps like that a lot!!
#7 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 03:02 PM

I remember sleeping like that as a small child. I still find it kind of comfy, although less so because I've lost so much flexibility. Try it yourself and imagine it without the muscle pulling sensations, it's not bad

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

#8 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 04:01 PM

M 9mo has just started doing that - we call it "frog position," and it's *so* cute! I wish I thought I could get a photo without waking her up.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#9 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 04:50 PM

My DD does this too, but at the same time has to have the top of her head pressed up tight against a pillow or my side. Talk about getting back to the womb!
#10 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 06:07 PM

I always figured it was because it felt most like being held. My dd will also press her head up against something (pillow, wall, me)

Mama of three.

#11 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 06:13 PM

I don't know why either, but I know I did it (one of my dad's favorite memories of me) and my 26 month old still does it too! And I've noticed when she sleeps in that position she is really OUT, it is a hard sleep.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#12 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 06:22 PM

I don't know but it is so cute. My older DD still sleeps like this some time.

Pam
#13 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 07:07 PM

I have no idea either, but add me to those who think it's adorable! My older DD would sometimes sleep that way until she was almost 8!
#14 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 07:10 PM

dd does that -- it's sooo cute! I've noticed she does it more when she's teething, too. Something about the position seems to really make her mouth feel better.
#15 of 18 Old 01-24-2006, 11:34 PM

According to "The Baby Book", babies need to sleep with their legs in the frog position, so if they are on their stomach, putting their legs in the frog postion means their little bottoms stick up.
#16 of 18 Old 01-25-2006, 01:43 AM

i loooved sleeping like this as a child, and occasionally still do. It feels comfy, secure, warm, and *ahem*...relieves gas...

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#17 of 18 Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewendy
According to "The Baby Book", babies need to sleep with their legs in the frog position, so if they are on their stomach, putting their legs in the frog postion means their little bottoms stick up.
Ahh...that makes sense. When she is sleeping on her side, she puts her legs in the same position. Even curled up next to me, she is...well, curled up.

We put her down to sleep, and then a couple of hours later I join her (we cosleep). She sleeps that way until I climb into bed, then she mashes herself against me for the night.
#18 of 18 Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 AM
DDS

airway issue

this is a very common sleeping position in children who have an airway restriction (usually tonsils or adenoids). the reason they sleep this way is that it helps open their airway, which allows them better oxygenation during sleep. in many areas in the US, the pollution or pollen causes kids to have swelling in the tonsils and adenoids, which leads to partial or complete blockage of the airway when they achieve phase III sleep (where neural development and long term memory occur). Kids do not usually experience sleep apnea, but go through what is called sleep disordered breathing. This means that as they drift into phase III sleep, the muscles in the neck, jaw, and tongue relax, causing a restriction in airflow if the tonsils and adenoids are in the way. This then leads to decreased oxygen flow which causes the 'fight or flight' response, leading to a burst of adrenaline moving them back into phase II sleep. This occurs over and over throughout the night, leading to poor sleeping habits, orthodontic malocclusion, and ADHD. I would have an ENT take a lateral skull xray (face positioned perpendicular to xray film) / lateral cephalometric xray (usually taken by a pediatric dentist or orthodontist) to evaluate the adenoids and tonsils. Just because they sleep like this doesn't mean they have an airway issue, but I would want to rule it out if it were my child.

Dr. Westover

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page