Help, swollen testicle - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-28-2006, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 week old baby boy's right testicle seems very large and swollen. It is about 3 times the size of the left side. Does anyone know what this could be? Please help! He does not seem to be in pain and from what I can see there is no discoloring. I am not sure what this is.

Blessed mama of four
::
#2 of 10 Old 01-28-2006, 11:24 PM

No direct experience with this, but I would go to the doctor or ER personally. Good luck...hopefully it's nothing...but could be torsion or infection. Let us know what happens!!
#3 of 10 Old 01-28-2006, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I have been looking into it and I think it could be a hydrocele. Has anyone experienced with their babies and did it go away on it's own?

Blessed mama of four
::
#4 of 10 Old 01-29-2006, 01:43 AM

Sounds like hydrocele to me as well. AJ had this very mildly as a baby, I never even noticed b/c it was even in both sides. His resolved by 6 mos. I think they wait till a year in most cases to see if resolves itself and then surgery may be necessary.

ETA: I just noticed your Gabe was born the day after my AJ! Congrats on the babies~

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 10 Old 01-29-2006, 01:37 PM

My ds has this since birth and his is the result of an undescended right testicle - your son's caregiver can feel to see if the testicle is descended, high up or still in the abdominal cavity. It may descend on its own but if it hasn't by 2 years old intervention may be necessary to help it down. So for now we are not worrying at all about it. But I would suggest you have your son checked to see if this is the case for him.
#6 of 10 Old 01-29-2006, 02:17 PM

I would suggest calling your pediatrician or (if you don't have one), your midwife. My dh lost a testicle in infancy and issues with them aren't things you want to take lightly. Calling can't hurt.
#7 of 10 Old 01-29-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80
Sounds like hydrocele to me as well. AJ had this very mildly as a baby, I never even noticed b/c it was even in both sides. His resolved by 6 mos. I think they wait till a year in most cases to see if resolves itself and then surgery may be necessary.
:

Our son had a hydrocele and it went away some time between 6 and 8 months, more or less. It's fairly common and usually resolves itself. That said, no harm in having it checked out to rule out another problem.
#8 of 10 Old 01-29-2006, 05:45 PM

My DS had a hyrdocele that my ped noticed and referred us to a urologist. We watched and waited until he was over 2. The urologist said that if they resolve on their own, they will do it by around 2. The ped continued to keep an eye on it and a few weeks ago (he's almost 2 1/2) DS had the surgery (which went very very well.) I would bring it to the ped's attention and keep an eye on it. There's a really good chance it will resolve on it's own, if it doesn't by the time he's two, you can take it from there.

I would touch base with a doctor just to rule out any other issues and to learn about signs of a hernia, etc (which is what your main concern is if your DS has a hydrocele.)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#9 of 10 Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 PM

my ds had this at birth. was gone by 5 months. pediatrician said to just keep an eye on it.
#10 of 10 Old 01-30-2006, 01:14 AM

My oldest had one w/ a hernia he had surgery at 14 months and did great

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page