spitting up while asleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-30-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 month old ds is spitting up after we put him down to sleep and it wakes him up. He has mild reflux that we are treating with Zantac (2 ml twice a day).

His cradle is propped up, but his bassinet is not (though it doesn't seem to matter...he spits up in both) and he is a tummy sleeper.

Is there something else we could do that might help? Or do I just need to buy more sheets?.

Christa
#2 of 8 Old 01-30-2006, 04:52 PM

Okay, so you've established that baby has reflux.......

Well, are you doing the following?

A) making sure that baby stays upright for at least 30 minutes after feeding, and I mean UPRIGHT, as in nearly sitting up or at a pretty good angle.

B) making sure that you burp that baby for all he/she is worth.

C) you need to prop the bassinett as well. they make some foam wedges for smaller areas, you could try that in the bassinette. I just let my babe sleep elevated on my forearm in the bed.

D) have you discussed with your pedi the tummy sleeping issue?

E) are you BF'ing? if you are, try nursing on one boob only at each feeding (you will end up having to feed more frequently, BUT you probably won't have as much spit up).

F) If you are having such problems with the zantac ask your pedi if there is another medication, we had to switch to prilosec. Some meds just work better for some babes.

G) Try an elimation diet. Try eliminating dairy for two weeks and see what happens. Then move on to soy, wheat and eggs. (I was dairy wheat soy and egg free for 7 months,and we JUST started to reintroduce eggs and it seems to be going okay).

H) If you're FF try one of those crazy expensive formulas that is hypoallergenic, alimentum or nutrimagen or something? I don't know, I don't formula feed but that sounds about right.

Good luck........these things worked wonders for my babe! HTH

Elizabeth

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#3 of 8 Old 01-30-2006, 05:20 PM

:

Zantac will help him to be more comfortable but it won't stop reflux. As long as he's gaining weight and seems to be happy and comfortable, just wait it out and follow the advice above.

The only thing I wanted to add is that studies have proven that non-nutrative sucking (i.e. thumb or pacifier) is very helpful for reflux kids. Especially at night. And tummy sleeping is also beneficial but you have to weigh the pros and cons of this because of SIDs risks.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 8 Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 PM

my daughter has reflux as well. I've noticed that if I feed her in bed and leave her there (we cosleep) she is fine, but if she sits up and then lays back down its all over.
#5 of 8 Old 01-31-2006, 02:51 AM

DS is still taking Losec for his reflux (we see the ped next week to review things).

We did all the things like elevated bassinet, burped him like crazy, upright for 30 mins after feeding etc. but he still spat up while sleeping ALL THE TIME.

Since he's been on losec he hasn't woken up from spitting up. It just made him comfortable enough so he could fall asleep and stay asleep.

He eventually stopped spitting up during his sleep when he was about 3 months old.

Could it be like another poster said that the medication he is on isn't working for him? Maybe it might be a good idea to seek medical advice for their opinion?
#6 of 8 Old 01-31-2006, 02:59 AM

My babies (4 months) spit up all the time in their sleep and it wakes them up. I never really thought much of it, it seems like a pretty normal baby thing to me. I would try the elimination diet like someone else suggested. All of my kids have spit up significantly more when I eat certain things. With ds1 it was really bad with milk or ice cream. If I had a bowl of cereal and drained the milk off the spoon I was covered with puke for a day or two. With my twins soy is the worst and salsa also bothers them. Good luck, I know how annoying it can be to finaly get a baby to sleep and then have them wake up from that.
#7 of 8 Old 01-31-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I usually just hold him after feeding, but is there another way to prop him up if I need to put him down (I keep other children during the day)? I know the carseat isn't a good option.

I've also noticed that if he nurses laying down that he's quite unlikely to spit up. We've been trying the one breast at a feeding thing to see if that will help. I'm also working on eliminating dairy. I had suspected that the Zantac didn't work to stop the spitting, just the pain, and it does seem to be helping with that.

We are quite comfortable with our decision to allow him to tummy sleep. It was his preference from the beginning and tummy sleeping doesn't cause SIDS, it's just that back sleeping reduces the risk. It's a pretty small risk in the first place. I don't stress that he doesn't like a paci (which would not only help with the reflux, but would also, according to recent research findings, help reduce the SIDS risk) so I'm not going to stress over his preferred sleeping position.

Christa
#8 of 8 Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 PM

1hand typing

bouncy or swing

if in car seat, must strap in

if you eat processed foods, dairy goes under lots of names - so google dairy free living to find them all out.

mine hates paci too, no biggie.

baby sleeping, will add more later.

elizabeth

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page