PP hair loss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure if this is posted in the right area, please feel free to advise or redirect

dd is just over 4 months and i am shedding worse than all four of my ferrets combined
my hair was almost to my waist (i just had dh take off 3-4 inches to see if that would help by removing split ends), i just cant believe how much i am losing. my hair is everywhere, every time i pick my baby up she has several of mummy's hairs entwined about her person and its driving me nutso
i did expect some hair loss, and realize the problem is exacerbated by the length of it, but its getting beyond a joke.

will this stop in due time?, or should i go with my gut and chop the lot off?
#2 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 02:50 PM

My twins are a week older than your baby and I am having the same problem. I do not remember this with my older ds, but I am losing handfuls of hair everytime I take a shower and it is all over the house also. I am surprised I have any left
#3 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 02:53 PM

I'm still shedding at 7 1/2 months pp...I almost want to get pregnant again to make it stop
#4 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 02:55 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
SOME hair loss is to be expected, but excessive amounts can signal a thyroid problem.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

i feel fine other than the hair loss. are there other symptoms that would indicate a thyroid problem?
#6 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 04:14 PM

nak
i was having this problem and went to get a good trim because of it. my hairdresser combed down my hair once and raised his hand up- there were clumps of hair in the comb and long strands streaming down . i was losing a ton of hair, and since my hair is long, it looked even more dramatic.
i think it's a natural impulse to want to cut your hair after baby (hence "mom haircuts"). i say your normal and healthy and you should get a haircut if you want to, put that baby in a sling, and vacuum away!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#7 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 04:20 PM

I'm still shedding pretty heavily at almost 7 months postpartum, although I think it peaked at 4-5 months. I'm swiffering my bathroom floor daily!

I went to a new hairdressed last month and she remarked on how much I was shedding. I said yeah, I had a new baby. She said, "Are you nursing?" I said yes. She said, "If you wean her, your hair will stop shedding." : I said that wasn't an option.

I shouldn't go back to her, but she did a really good job on my hair!
#8 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 04:30 PM

I lost a lot of hair too. I think with longer it hair it just seems like more. But you might want to get checked out by your doc just in case.

It really seemed like an awful lot hair for awhile, now at 7 months pp it has slowed down but not completely stopped. I thought I would go bald it seemed like so much was coming out! You don't realize how much you have until it's all over your floor! But I'm seeing some new hair growth now...and my hair never looked thin enough for anyone to notice. Just hang in there!

My tip...pull your hair back. I took to wearing mine in a pony tail and then brushing it at night to catch all the hair.
#9 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 07:34 PM

yep mine is horrible!i feel like i should be bald now dd is 4 months so i still have a ways to go mine is very long and its feeling rather thin now so its always in a ponytail.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#10 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses ladies. at least dh has plenty of clone-worthy material if anything should happen to me
#11 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 10:26 PM

I started shedding hair 11 weeks PP. It stopped when DS was about 5 months old ... so I shed hair for 2 months.

I am now losing hair at the level that I was pre-pregnancy.

It is funny to see all the "baby" hair growing on my head ... they are growing up/sticking out because they aren't heavy enough. Especially looks strange when I have my hair tied back (to stop DS from pulling my hair).
#12 of 20 Old 01-30-2006, 11:29 PM

I had my thyroid checked b/c I did get some bald spots and the thyroid was fine! I have long hair too and it definately makes it worse. I noticed that I lost more pp with each child so by 3rd one I got the bald spots. Anyway when ds turned 6 mo I had new hair covering the bald spots and I'm still losing more than normal, but nowhere the amount I was. Unfortunately, I'm still a little thin all around the hairline I hope all returns to normal. And I second the keeping the hair pulled up and brushing at night. I brush first thing in the morning and then I pull my hair up. I take it down once in the day and brush, and I take it down again at night and brush and leave it down to sleep. Oh, and if you are dealing with alot of hair loss when you shampoo or no poo, whatever you do, make sure and brush before you shower/bath/wash your hair. If your like me and you don't, it will look like a small rodent is trapped in your drain
#13 of 20 Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 AM

Oh Boy, I can relate!. I am almost 8 months PP and I am still shedding. The sad part is that the new hair is now growing back and I had micromini bangs that stand straight up Very attractive...

Mommy to Katherine (June '05) , Calvin (born an angel on January 25, 2009 at 29.5 weeks gestation) , and Samuel and Sabrina (December '09)
#14 of 20 Old 01-31-2006, 01:16 AM

My ds is 7 months and i am still losing hair. With dd it was from the start but with ds it didn't start until he was about 4 months and it was terrible much worse than with dd. I have started using New Hair Shampoo from Lush and i have really noticed a difference, these are the most wonderful products. www.lush.com here is the direct link for that shampoo http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/2...Haircare:upd=y Might be worth a try!
#15 of 20 Old 01-31-2006, 03:23 AM

DS is 11 weeks old and I shed super bad from about when he was a week old until he was about 8 weeks. It has definately slowed down now, but I still shed more than I did before the birth. My hair is also longer than it has been in about 7 or 8 years, so that could be contributing too. I also have the super fun(ny) flyaway hairs at my hairline. Most fun when I am in a humid area because then they stick STRAIGHT UP!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#16 of 20 Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 AM

My hair loss started 4 months pp and at almost 10 months, it has barely slowed. I'm surprised that my hair isn't really thin at this point. I have that rodent thing going in the shower all the time. It sucks, but I wouldn't worry about it unless your hair is really getting thin. My midwife said it's because you don't shed hair much the whole time you are pregnant. I can believe that. I had crazy pubic hair growing up my tummy. I'm so happy that stopped after the birth!
#17 of 20 Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloughmiller
My twins are a week older than your baby and I am having the same problem. I do not remember this with my older ds, but I am losing handfuls of hair everytime I take a shower and it is all over the house also. I am surprised I have any left

Sounds like me! You should see the trash cans in my bathrooms!!! It looks like Ive had a few haircuts but all Ive done is brush,wash tie up and straighten it.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#18 of 20 Old 01-31-2006, 11:24 AM

It seems there a thread like this every month or so! I started one a few months ago myself

For me, PP hair loss stopped around 4.5 months, and boy was I (and DH) glad! It seems especially bad, I think, because of how strong your hair is during pregnancy.

Carrie
#19 of 20 Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 AM

wby would our thyroids only start acting up now?!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#20 of 20 Old 01-31-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamama
nak
i was having this problem and went to get a good trim because of it. my hairdresser combed down my hair once and raised his hand up- there were clumps of hair in the comb and long strands streaming down . i was losing a ton of hair, and since my hair is long, it looked even more dramatic.
i think it's a natural impulse to want to cut your hair after baby (hence "mom haircuts"). i say your normal and healthy and you should get a haircut if you want to, put that baby in a sling, and vacuum away!

i totally hacked mine off...i couldn't take the shedding anymore. it was driving me crazy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page