Eczema behind ears? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What should I do? He is almost 3 mos old and I just noticed those Ol' Telltale Patches behind his ears tonight. I have had it on my hands in wintertime and just put moisturizer on all day long - do you do the same with a baby?
#2 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 04:25 AM

I wish I could tell you! My ds has started getting it all over his scalp unless I put hydrocortizone cream all over his fuzzy little head after his bath!
Hopefully someone else will have a better idea!
#3 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 04:14 PM

My daughter has that too and the pediatrician suggested neosporin behind her ears. I used it and it has cleared right up.
#4 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 05:53 PM

My 5.5 mos. DS also has eczema, however, his is all over his body. He has a severe case. We have tried lots of different things, so I'll give you the ideas that worked best for us. Does your DS scratch at it? My DS has to sleep with socks on his hands because He scratches his cheeks and causes the skin to become infected. Ugh! Also watch for new spots, and treat them right away, it will help them to not be as itchy.

1.) Try to avoid the use petroleum jelly based products (it doesn't help, petroleum pulls the natural moisture away from the skin.) Try using Aveeno Baby Soothing relief Moisture Cream, or Blue Emu Oil, or a salve called "Raven's moon" (not sure if it's available at your health food store)
2.) Cleanse the area with just water (use very mild baby soap, if necessary)
3.) after cleaning, dry thoroughly and immediately (or within 3 min.) apply cream.
4.) my ds's is aggravated by my diet (becomes inflammed when I eat chocolate or citrus drinks./ fruits)

If these things still don't help, then perhaps consult a pediatrician or naturpath Dr., etc. it's possible that you might need to use something stronger. When my Ds's is really inflammed we put protopic on it (prescription cream) for a couple of days. I'll warn you though that this cream contains Steroids and should be used as minimally as possible.

I hope these suggestions help. good luck!

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#5 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 06:08 PM

Is it yeast?

My youngest has got crusties behind her ears and I think its yeast.
#6 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 06:19 PM

My DD (10 weeks old) has crusties behind her ears too. She also had some on her eyebrows and head (cradle cap). I just did the same thing that I do for the cradle cap. Use olive oil or baby oil and bathe. Then gently rub with towel and they should come off. Good luck.
#7 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Protopic is no longer recommended because it is now known to carry a cancer risk... it's no surprise, really, since the ingested form of the same medication has had that risk for years.

My DD has eczema and I use cetaphil soap on her. It seems to help. When the patches get really bad (sometimes they break open, etc), then I'll use Locoid, a prescription cortisone cream. As a PP said, it is a steroid, so you can't just use it every day. After her bath, I also apply the Aveeno baby lotion liberally. It contains colloidal oatmeal and helps keep the moisture in.

Darci

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#8 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 06:53 PM

my dd has the dry patches behind her ears as well. the california baby all natural oil (safflower, canola, evening primrose and vit e, and roman chamomile essential oil) works just fine. i asked the ped about it and told her what i've been using. she said, "that's fine. or petroleum jelly. or whatever works for you." if i don't use the CA baby, i use a straight organic oil, like sesame (penetrates deepest), olive, or sweet almond. the pp about petroleum moisturizers may be right about them leaching moisture away...i had heard that the petroleum creates a barrier, not allowing the moisturizer to actually go into the skin...a superficial fix. regardless, ultimately ineffective. good luck!

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#9 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My dd has yucky patches behind her ears too... and I remember having them as a little kid. Maybe its just normal?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#10 of 23 Old 02-07-2006, 11:49 PM

the stuff behind the ears or in other creases like armpits or behind knees is usually seborrhea, aka cradle cap. there's not a whole heck of a lot that helps it besides keeping it dry- yes steroid creams help but I'm way too freaked out by them to use that- and I did put antibiotic ointment on when it get really red and stinky and disgusting, but after a couple weeks of nothing, it came right back. it's one of those things I think the body really needs to fight off.
eczema on the other hand usually isn't found behind the ears though it *could* be. there are different causes for that from allergies to dryness to genetics. but if it's flaky, crusty, smells yucky, it's seborrhea.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#11 of 23 Old 02-08-2006, 12:01 AM

My DS gets crust behind his ears from time to time, and I have found that when I make sure I gently get back there with a washcloth and plain warm water for a bath, and then dry it well, it is fine. If it looks particularly crusty and red, I've put a dab of Lansinoh back there and followed that with my bath routine, and it clears up fairly quickly.
#12 of 23 Old 02-08-2006, 12:11 AM

are you sure it is eczema? my ds had that when he was little, and i was pretty darn sure it was dried breastmilk, from nursing him in bed and him falling asleep with the boob in his mouth. the milk would run down from the corner of his mouth, and i noticed that one ear was crustier and grosser than the other-- sure enough i nursed him more on that side, in bed.

just a thought

but yes, olive oil....we used that for cradle cap. i put it on at night, all over, then gently washed it off with bronner's and warm water in the morning. i eventually gave up on it cause it didn't seem to bother ds any, so it didn't bother me.

good luck!
pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#13 of 23 Old 02-08-2006, 03:21 AM

both of my girls had that, too. in the bath i just would gently rub with a washcloth several times. seemed to go away after a few months.
#14 of 23 Old 02-08-2006, 08:24 AM

Please don't use steroid creams on his face- the skin's so delicate, it's really too strong.
When Isaac's skin was so bad, we did the stuff K's mom is doing: plus supplementing with Omega 3's. Skye's skin keeps threatening to break out, but so far we're holding it in check with moisturising using a vegetable-oil based balm.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 23 Old 02-08-2006, 03:05 PM

I think that this month's mothering mag has an article on natural cures for eczema. (I'm not certain that it's this month- because I was reading it over someone's shoulder )

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#16 of 23 Old 02-08-2006, 05:43 PM

Weleda baby oil works well too. Sometimes we really have to scrub it but conviced it's milk drool here too....
#17 of 23 Old 02-08-2006, 08:09 PM

My kids both have this, but nothing else. No cradle cap anywhere else, or eczema. I can get some of it off if it is soggy from a bath and I use oil and scratch at it. My mom remembered all of her kids having that and growing out if it.

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
#18 of 23 Old 02-10-2006, 01:39 AM

My dd had that at around the same time she had cradle cap. We washed it with water and sometimes a mild soap, then applied Weleda baby oil or sweet almond oil. She quit getting it after a month or so, around the same time she quit getting cradle cap.
#19 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Both of my sons had eczema behind ears/knees, my youngest all over his face and very itchy. For both, eliminating food(s) did the trick and we have had no problems since. My younger DEFINITELY reacted through breastmilk, my older probably did too, but I hadn't done enough reading yet...

The offenders?
Older: rice and possibly dairy; now 6, challenging rice again, loves cheese/yogurt but won't drink milk
Younger: dairy, tomatoes, potatoes; now 3, loves cheese but won't drink milk, cooked tomatoes are OK, challenging potatoes now, then raw tomatoes

My advice: try an elimination diet for you or baby; creams only mask the symptoms, if it is food based, they are still being affected. If there are any allergies/asthma in your family, it's worth a shot and not as hard as it sounds.

That said, I get eczema from wool, as a baby I got it from Ivory Snow (the "purest"--haha!).
#20 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 10:02 PM

my 10 week old has this as well.. ive been squirting breastmilk on it and its cleared up in a few days :

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#21 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 10:16 PM

My kids both had eczema in the usual and some unusual places. It was allergy related for both of them, and I had to restrict my own food while breastfeeding, and find a new home for the cat. It was worth it though. My dd still gets eczema after she's been in contact with an allergen, but she's so much better. She would get red, seeping crusties that she'd scratch, and the heavy duty creams just kept it in check. Now we don't need to use anything. And since I gave up milk and eggs, my skin is much nicer too.
#22 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 10:57 PM
kdf

Try mangosteen juice. If your baby is not eating fruits they can't drink it but you can apply it directly on the eczema. It is a wonderful juice. Go to www.lookingforhealth.com for more info about it.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#23 of 23 Old 02-14-2006, 01:58 AM
kdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf
Try mangosteen juice. If your baby is not eating fruits they can't drink it but you can apply it directly on the eczema. It is a wonderful juice. Go to www.lookingforhealth.com for more info about it.

Sorry the website is www.lookingforhealth.org

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page