Dark Army Green Poop in 2 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to take my little guy to see the Dr. tomorrow again but wanted others opinions on what is going on. He was born 2 months premature and is just 2 months old now. Ever since he came home from the hospital (over one month ago) he has needed assistance in pooping (glycerin suppository) every 3 to 4 days. I hate doing this and cannot get anwers from Dr's (ped and family dr) as to why he can't go on his own. I am worried! The last two poops he has had have been a dark army green colour and the consistency of finger paint. He is sick with RSV and perhaps that is causing this. The bowel movements before these two were yellow. I don't think this is related to a nursing issue. ANyone experience anything like this?
#2 of 6 Old 02-09-2006, 12:35 AM

I've heard that once they get used to getting help to poo, sometimes they get to the point that they can't go without the help (sort of like when you need afrin during a cold but then the afrin makes you more stuffy so you have to use it more- a vicious circle).
the rsv could definitely have something to do with it. don't worry TOO much about two green dipes- definitely keep an eye on it as it could be some diarrhea- but as long as he keeps nursing well and is not lethargic he'll be ok until the appt. tomorrow. good luck!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#3 of 6 Old 02-09-2006, 04:16 AM

When my dd was 2 months old she pooped once every 7-10 days. This was normal for her. I would say that if your ds is exclusively bf'd then maybe you have been eating lots of green veggies? could be a reason for the dark poop. I agree with the pp about being cautious with helping him poop...I'm not an expert though
#4 of 6 Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 AM

My DS has green poop now and then.. the pedi said green is fine!! the colors to call him about are red, black and white! yikes!!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#5 of 6 Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM

My sons poop was green for months and didn't vary but I attributed it to me taking antibiotics for an infection and then it passing to him through my breastmilk.

As for not pooping "regularly"...if your baby is breastfed, it is possible that baby will not have to poop that often. Your baby doesn't have much to waste but follow your gut instincts on what you think is best.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#6 of 6 Old 02-09-2006, 12:37 PM

in my experience I have seen green poop when baby is doing a lot of comfort nursing thus getting a lot of foremilk and also during a virus...she just had her first green poop and her first cold. My last baby did a lot of comfort nursing and she would have green off and on from that few minutes of nursing and just getting foremilk.

I am a little uncomfortable with the suppository thing since I know most Dr.s are unfamiliar with how bfing babies work. My oldest would always go 7 days between poops and up to 11 but she was never constipated or uncomfortable and eventually she would blow

What happens if you don't use the suppository...does baby get painfully constipated? I would be afraid of baby being dependant upon them if they are over used.

follow your instincts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page