Baby fighting sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-17-2006, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have this problem? My 3mo fights sleep really badly. I try to wath for clues when she's tired and I try to put her to sleep ASAP. But she fights it so hard. I try to rock her, BF, lay with her, be in a dark quiet room. I don't know what else to do. My older 2 never did this. It is really hard on my DH. I sometimes have to work at night. His is not great with babies but it makes it even harder when she fights sleep. She just cries and closes her eyes. Even when I think she is asleep she will just start crying for no reason. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-17-2006, 03:03 AM

All three of mine are sleep fighters. The BIGS will lie in bed tossing and turning for hours some nights. I've found that the more tired they are, the worse it is. With our baby we just try to first get the BIGS settled down and in bed, and just attempt to set a calm tone around the house. When I'm home, he nurses to sleep. But when that doesn't work, then dad's on night-time duty, he has discovered a technique that works for him, rubbing ds on the chest. He also loves being sung to, and he has absolutely loved Nirvana's Unplugged CD from birth and loves to stare at the colorful computer screen when the music plays. Maybe you can try different CD's see what your little one likes.
#3 of 4 Old 02-17-2006, 03:49 PM
EVC

Yup, this started for us a few weeks ago. Before that, no problems, but now : Even when fussing and crying, she's yawning and fighting to keep her eyes open, but that baby just doesn't like to sleep. I usually rub her head and nurse her and sometimes that helps, especially if I run my hand gently down her forehead and close to her eyes, which she then closes in response and sometimes they just stay closed after that. It also helps if somebody else (such as dh) is already asleep--I guess that makes her feel like she's not missing anything fun.

I know some people recommend a warm bath before bedtime, but that has never worked for us. Might work for you, though.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#4 of 4 Old 02-18-2006, 12:25 AM

Just wanted to add that my three month old is the same way. I'm making him a shirt that says "Sleep is for the Weak." It's a motto he seems to live by.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page