Mothering Forum banner

cloth diaper questions

538 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Sharlla 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hi Amanda, it's nice to see you here! I think it varies with each child but I was told that you could expect to change them every 60-90 min and would need about 36 diapers if you were to wash every 2-3 days. My little one doesn't seem to need quite that many. ( I have more pocket diapers with the micro fleece and that really seems to help hold her off for about 2 pees at least) She complains when she is wet so I just change her and really do'nt look at the time. I know I change her more with cloth than with disposables though!

I don't know if I'd have the guts to try it without a washer and dryer though. More power to you! And with twins too!!!!! You go mamma!!!
(my mom had twins and cloth diapered them and it was a bugger WITH a washer and dryer so you are my hero of the day!!!)

#3 ·
I'd say about 8-10 per day per child. Good for you for using cloth!

I use a combo of sposie and cloth. We use a diaper service and they recommend 70 diapers a week for a newborn. I don't normally use that many. O stopped peeing much at night...but when she does WOW. So I use a sposie as I have not found the prefolds to be very absorbent and that's what the diaper service has.

I'm glad you posted this as it reminds me to ask on the diaper board about what wld be a good overnight diaper. I'd like to reduce using sposies, too.

#4 ·
At that age, I would think 8-10 dipes a day is *normal* - It's still what I'm using for my ds who is almost 8 months old. If you're going to stick with prefolds, I'd go with 2 dozen per day, so maybe 48 to wash every other day. For the covers, I'd say 4 or 5 a day would be good per child. You can hand wash and hang to dry overnight
For overnight, get a couple of good overnight fitted dipes and 2 wool soakers or longies (recylcled ones are fairly inexpensive if cost is an issue, otherwise, you can find some preloved stuff on the TP, or if you want new....oh the possibilities are endless)

#7 ·
You might also get some fleece and cut some liners (no need to sew) to lay on top. They will wick the moisture away from babies skin. This is really good for overnight.

#9 ·
I go through about 10 a day or so. I too don't have a washer and dryer and so I go to the laundromat once a week and use one of those $1.25 front loaders for all the dipes. Costs $1.25 to dry, but during the warmer months I just wash by hand and hang dry every couple of days.

I know that my toddler size prefolds would dry in about 24 hours and the flats dried over night so your infant prefolds should dry overnight as well. I have an extra curtain rod that I will put in the middle of my shower and I hang the dipes on hangers so I could get a lot hung up in that small space.

I really loved the nikki wool covers because of the gussets at the legs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.