Poll: Britax Boulevard outboard position or another seat center position? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Britax (side position) or another seat (center position)?
Britax, even though it has to be on the side 10 100.00%
Another seat, since the center position is the safest 0 0%
Center, but only w/ a specific seat (please name in comments) 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to get a Boulevard, but it doesn't fit properly in my center seat (I just tried it out at a store). So, I'm wondering whether it's still better to get the Britax, even if I have to put it on the side, or if I should get another seat that could work in my middle seat. I'd appreciate any opinions/advice! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 05:23 PM

What kind of car do you have? (year, make, model)

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#3 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I have a 2005 Subaru Forester. Even though it's technically an SUV, it's relatively small and the backseat isn't very deep.
#4 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 05:39 PM

Sorry, another question....forward facing or rear facing? How old is your child and what does 'she' weigh?

Did you try to puzzle piece the Britax seat in the middle between the seatbacks of the front seats?

#5 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the questions! I really appreciate you asking. My ds is almost 6 months old, and is somewhere between 19 and 20 pounds. Since he's a bit of a chunk I liked the longer rear-facing weight limits of the Britax. The problem with the center seat is that the belts are just too close together since the center seat is pretty small. So, I can't get the seat to be flush with the back of the seat (the buckles prevent that, so it sticks out from the back of the seat...does that make sense?). I think I probably could fit it between the headrests of the front seats, if I didn't have this problem.
#6 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 06:15 PM

I would go with the Britax, just because they are so easy to use. My two boys are both in Britax seats on the outboard positions of my car.
#7 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 06:19 PM

Put the Britax outboard. I have my daughter in a Marathon rearfacing outboard, even though it would fit fine in the middle, because we have a small car and occasionally need to carry an extra passenger.
#8 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 06:23 PM

Do you mean the LATCH connecting belts? If so, the car may not be designed to use LATCH in the middle. It may only be set up for LATCH in the outboard and seatbelt installation in the middle. Most cars are like that. (growl, growl, whine, complain)

I have an 01 Jetta. We use a Marathon, rearfacing in the middle. We have to use the seatbelt install. Supposedly, it's more rigid that way anyway, but I can't vouch for that. We actually use the seatbelt AND the LATCH, but that's just something that works in Jettas.

(The Marathon is the same seat base as the Boulevard.)

With your very safe car, though I don't know it's detailed crash test history, I would, with what I know, opt for a Britax outboard.

If I'm understanding right and you're talking about using LATCH int he middle, I'd try that Boulevard again in the middle, with a seatbelt.

#9 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I wasn't clear--it's actually the seatbelt buckles. The latch definitely doesn't work in the middle seat, so we used the shoulder belt for the infant seat installation. But when I try to put the Boulevard in the backseat, it just won't fit against the seat because the seatbelt buckles are too close together and the width of the seat can't fit between them (The middle seat actually has two of these buckles on each side because we have a somewhat odd middle seat shoulder belt that has to hook into a buckle on each side.)
#10 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 06:43 PM

I know just what kind of weird seatbelt you mean. I just saw it yesterday on the middle row, middle seat of the new Honda Odyssey. It was odd but well designed.

Let me research your question more....

#11 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 06:46 PM

In the meantime, this is a GREAT site:
http://www.carseatdata.org/default.html

These folks may be able to help you out better and faster, though a few of the regular posters there are MDC mamas, too:
http://www.car-seat.org/

#12 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 08:22 PM

We have our Marathon outboard rear facing in our Toyota Tercel (think small!) It fits in the middle but it fits way better outboard and since one of us STILL sits in the back with the baby (at 10 months...!) it's nice to have the extra room.

It's quite likely you won't find much that WILL fit in the middle back so I'd just go with the Britax in the outboard position. It's not like the outboard position is unsafe, it's just not AS safe as the middle. You'll love being able to put the baby in from the side with the seat outboard
#13 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your helpful replies! And thanks so much, Jaclyn, for your advice and excellent links. I'm going to go with the Boulevard in the outboard. It seems like the best option. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page