7mo BF slept 8 hours! What can I "expect" now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2006, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! (x-posted on nighttime parenting...)

A omplete miracle occured last night! My DD who just turned 7 months slept from 9pm to 5am....!!!

We BF, she gets some solids during the day at daycare and takes sips of EBM from a sippie cup while there. The crib is in our room because she "usually" is a "challenging" sleeper. She usually takes 2-3 "catnaps" a day....but lately she's been taking 2 "longer" ones now. And over the past month, I've put her in her crib around 8 or 9. We dont' really have a routine except that she gets nursed and rocked to sleep....

She'd wake up every 2-3 hours, sometimes every 1-2 hours then I'd just take her in bed because it wakes me up to much to nurse her, and put her back in the crib, and pat her back for 5-10 minutes (and sometimes it wouldn't work...). But to tell you the truth...I've been praying and really craving some "me" time in the bed lately since I'm teaching again and would "love" a nice stretch of sleep. So it happened. But....

Anyone else's BF baby sleep through? At what age? Is this just a fluke or will she "morph" into this pattern over the next month? I know a bunch of bottle fed babes that sleep through in a mom's group. I've never let her CIO....what will encourage this longer stretch at night to continue? Any tips? Can I be hopeful! I know they change and don't sleep as well with teething, growth spurts, milestones, etc. None of this seemed to matter to my DD...she has NEVER HAD A SET PATTERN from day 1!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 03:43 PM

Congratulations!!!! What wonderful news!!!

My dd is also 7 months and started sleeping for longer stretches (sometimes 7-4, other times 9-4 but after nursing at 4 am would go back to sleep til 7) about three weeks ago. It was heaven. I actually woke up at 2 and at 3 worried that something was wrong, only to see her sleeping peacefully in her crib. She did that for nearly 3 weeks. Then she got a cold and we went back to waking every three hours.

The good news for me was that I now know that she *can* sleep through the night and that it is likely to become regular again soon. Two nights ago she woke once at 3 am and then slept til 7. Last night she was up at 11,1,3, and 5. So...time will tell.

As far as what to expect: Expect engorgement for a while. I actually have been trying to encourage this and get up and pump when I wake up at 2 am and dd is still sleeping. I get a lot of milk and have stockpiled quite a bit for dh to give her when I am teaching.

Again, congratulations!!! I bet you feel like a new woman, I know I did
Old 02-28-2006, 08:22 PM

Congratulations!

I hope it lasts! Our ds is 11 months old and he still wakes up at least twice in the night. He had ONE night when he slept 7 hours (I posted that too!), and then it NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN.

But then again, like your dd, our ds has never been a baby who conforms to any kind of schedule. I can't tell you how many plans I've had to ditch at the last minute! We joke that he is secretly writing a book called The Unscheduled Life: How to Get Your Parents to Stop Expecting Anything From You.

Anyway...good luck with that. And really, I mean it without any bitterness or sarcasm (sorta... ).
Old 03-01-2006, 12:42 AM

I think I may just be lucky, but dd has slept straight through the night (10 or 11 til 8 or 9am) since she was 2 months. She does get about 4oz of formula a day due to low supply but thats well out of her system by bedtime. Although she doesn't nap at all during the day, so I don't get anything done. It's a bit of a tradeoff.

User Tag List