August '05 Mamas...March Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 389 Old 03-26-2006, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think God/nature designed our bodies to fail. Before there was iron fortified cereal were all babies anemic? I don't think so.

This is what I know about iron. The iron in breastmilk is much lower than that in formula, however, its absorbed much better so less is needed. And if you waited on cord clamping and cutting your child will have a much better store than those with immediate cuts.

I don't think vitamin supplementation is needed for breastfed infants except in the most dire of unhealthy situations. Your body will give your baby what they need before seeing to your needs. That's another reason its important to eat as healthy as we can.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#302 of 389 Old 03-26-2006, 01:39 PM

Kellymom.com has info on iron and breast milk. The web site basically says that babies absorb 50-70% of iron from breast milk and it's one of the best sources. Babies only absorb about 4-10% from rice cereal.

You can read a LOT at this link:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...ml#ironsources

I wasn't going to give rice cereal at first. But my milk wasn't filling the baby up and neither were just fruits and veggies. She wants to EAT; it's like she wants to make up for all the eating she didn't do before.

:
#303 of 389 Old 03-26-2006, 01:46 PM

Oh, I almost forgot to ask. I wonder if the start of solids is bringing on AF? What did your first pp AF feel like? I've had a light crampy feeling.

I nurse DD before she eats solids so that MM is her main food still so it would surprise me if the food she eats **in addition to MM** would bring back AF. On the other hand, maybe my body says it's time.

I have to say that I dread cramps more than I ever did labor. Labor was MUCH less painful than my monthlies. I never thought labor could possibly be worse than what I used to go through every month. Hmmm..Maybe I'll try the self-hypnosis when AF arrives and create a new reality for myself around AF.
#304 of 389 Old 03-26-2006, 02:31 PM

Eastky, your doctor seems to be a little misinformed on the need for extra iron. Your milk, as long as YOU have a good diet, is fine.

Try dropping some saline in your babe's nose. When ds got so stopped up that he couldn't breathe/nurse, about 1/2 to 1 mL per nostril helped break it up so that it could run out enough. Nothing else worked as well for us. Just mix up some salt water, get it up there and don't bring babe upright for about 5 seconds.

Deborah, if you are BFing less with the intro of solids, definitely that will bring on AF.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#305 of 389 Old 03-26-2006, 06:21 PM

I haven't checked in and read posts for the past several days, but I wanted to get this video of Henry out there for you guys to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TeEQCq_hRQ

He gets really silly in the late afternoon -- it's like he gets the giggles, which gives me the giggles, and we go round and round. Hope this link works!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#306 of 389 Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 PM

Beautiful video of Henry -- he looks so happy. Here are some new pics of Tova (and Griffin and Mom) taken by our friend (he's a photographer at the paper I work for) two weeks ago. Check out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41543478@N00/

About the iron: thanks for the info and links. Very informative. I wasn't too worried about it, and now I'm even less worried.

eastkygal: hang in there. You are not a horrible person to wonder when your babe will sleep through the night. We have all been there. A chronic disease can make everything harder, that's for sure. I have arthritis and I find lack of sleep, stress, diet, etc. all have an impact. One thing that helps Tova with the back arching and arm flailing has been swaddling. Maybe it would be worth a try?

Kate: have fun at the hockey game and congrats on turning 41. We had a lovely day today, doing brunch with friends and then visiting some other pals. I expect DH, DS and DD may have something more in store for me tomorrow, which is my actual birthday.

Jeremy: I'm not sure which is funnier, you spelling genius wrong, or me not catching it!

About babywearing: very few slings in these parts, but I find most of the comments I get are positive. Like "she looks so cozy in there." My favourite was a couple of months ago, from an older gentleman walking past with his grandchildren (they were about 10 or 12). As he passed me he said "Oh, is that one of those babies in a bag?" It was so sweet and funny -- we had a little chat and he was really keen on the sling. Thought it was great.

Hang in there everyone!
#307 of 389 Old 03-26-2006, 11:38 PM

i always get cute looks about the slings

deborah, if af is coming back, be sure to take a calcium/mag/zinc supplement - google menstruation on the kelly mom site - it will keep the hormone surges from causing a mid cycle supply reduction. and i like that chart too

not much new here - i'm getting sooo sick of pumping esp since i doubt adrian will be able to tolerate it anytime soon. still, he is better on the neocate and the feeding therapy is helping him eat more willingly.

still no teeth here.....
#308 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 12:41 PM

Welcome new mamas!
For a couple of weeks DD's been flailing her limbs, and getting some movement, but she really started crawling in a coordinated fashion this weekend. Then she sits up and claps for herself with a little smile on her face, hilarious!!! I think bc we clapped for her each time she'd crawl (or sort of crawl) she thinks that clapping is an integral part of crawling. hee.
On the downside, some bad nights of sleeping. She's been waking up about 90 min after we put her down, and waking up pretty upset. Sometimes it takes only a few minutes of comforting, sometimes 2+ hours. I think she has an intolerance to bananas though, bc every time we've given them to her, she sleeps poorly and seems to have an upset tummy. So we're cooling it on the bananas, ditto avocado, as it seems to have the same effect. She seems to love/have no problems with carrots, sweet potatoes, and all types of squash, but I worry about her turning orange! Any thoughts?
Other than that, all is well. I started running on the weekend (which I have always hated!) but I am desperate to shed these last 15 lbs. It wasn't too bad! Between that and swimming, I hope to have my old body (or something like it) back by the summer. I am a bridesmaid at one of my best friends' wedding this summer, so I want to look somewhat presentable. Despite regular solids, no AF yet, yay! Though I took a pregnancy test (negative) on the weekend, bc I thought for sure i would have it by now...
It's finally warming up here, so we're going for lots of walks again-so nice to be outside!
Happy spring, everyone!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#309 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 02:43 PM

I read my "This Week at MDC" email today. In there with the often interesting stuff is an activism thing-- banning those formula giveaway bags in hospitals. Hmmm... okay, but my true reaction is-- is that really the best cause / use of my time? Do I want "she banned cheesy formula giveaway bags" on my headstone? The whole topic smacks of Sanctimommies-- by which I mean a lack of tolerance. It seems any mother can refuse the bag. It is merely handed over by a nurse at discharge. This is probably the same nurse who answered your 4am nursing assistance call.

Do these activists really think that women are so frail they'll break down like addicts and rip open the can of powdered formula the minute they experience their first nursing frustration? Hospitals all have lactation consultants and great nursing support these days. Why ban a formula gift? Isn't it possible that someone could really use the thing? When I read about this so-called issue... I hear "I managed it and so should you."

Truly, I don't see how this could possibly trump the fight against genetically modified foods, or pesticides, or birth defects, or other life-and-death causes. And the fighters of this war have never cashed in a coupon for any product from a big scary Pharmaceutical firm, right?

Whew-- it was a big step off my soapbox there. I was politely asked to introduce myself. I'm a writer. I have 2 dcs, a 6/03 toddler and a 8/05 baby.
My 7mo cherub doesn't crawl yet. He isn't as ambitious as his big brother. He also never cries, which is so amazing, and spits up a lot, which isn't.

My kids watch no TV, (DH and I are pretty hardcore about this). We're sending DC#1 to a Waldorf preschool in the fall. We try to buy organic / fair trade / shade grown / free range / no GMO... etc as often as we can.

I have never been to a Wallmart.

Cheers,
spinspin
#310 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 02:54 PM

spinspin, I guess the point is that it does affect some women. My sil who was told she needed to use a nipple sheild (she didn't) found that it became difficult to get her son to nurse once she was back to work and he was taking pumped bottles.
Right around that time (12 weeks) she got a very large box of premixed formula in the mail and she used it. Its been a few weeks since I've seen her but last time I did she was having problems keeping up with the pumping and had been using some formula. Getting free formula in the mail or at the hospital means that some women will use it when they otherwise would not have.
My sil really wanted to do breastfeed because she has terrible allergies and wanted to protect her son from that as best as she could. Had she not had free premixed formula sitting on her shelf there is a good chance she never would have given him any.

#311 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Spinspin - sounds like you have some definite ideas about how you raise your family - strict thoughts on food and walmart and tv. So why come here and rattle on about sanctimommies and getting toddlers out of the bed should you choose to cosleep? I just don't get it. Seems like there is no problem finding formula or encouragement to use it. This board is about breastfeeding when you can. Not knocking anyone using formula or doing what works for their family. But to come here and label things like sanctimommy? I did use formula for a couple of weeks in the NICU so it is not like I'm a breastfeeding soapbox.
I'm outta here for a while.
#312 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 04:10 PM

I have to agree with Farmlife on this ... there are issues I feel strongly about (including the proliferation of FF in our culture) but I try not to be sanctimonious about it. I think the same applies to most other Mothering groupies.
#313 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM

spinspin, I see you are relatively new to MDC and our thread. Keeping that in mind, just want to let you know that there are places to share opinions here at MDC - the Talk Amongst Yourselves thread comes to mind - and there are other places for activism too. Please try to respect that most of us have been together, offering support and friendship and acceptance of API principles and each other for almost 18 months now. I hope you'll join us and I hope you'll respect our group culture and dynamic.

farmlife, please don't go.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#314 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 05:39 PM

I'm just going to say I agree with #'s 311 on...

I'm going back to being a WOHM tomorrow. Back into automotive manufacturing. 6:15a-3p with mandatory OT as needed. Please, don't flame me for this. I have tried being a WAHM and it's just not working out for us right now. I need to get out of the house, do something with instant results, both physically and financially. I've gained back all the weight I lost last fall, and another 30 pounds, which puts me back at my highest weight. That has caused more issues than I care to think about.. and we need the extra bit financially, with C's unemployment running out and all the medical bills my insurance didn't cover...

Em has stopped eating baby food, but still eats cheerios, rice krispies, bits of squished peas and grapes {without the skins} I'm kind of worried but not so much, other than what WIC is going to say about it on Wednesday...
#315 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 06:43 PM

Anyone else's baby still spitting up a lot. I'm getting so tired of it. I have to change my shirt a few times a day. ds' is changed often too and if its not the spit up its the teething drool. I actually have to keep a salve on his neck and chin so he doesn't get a yeast rash.

#316 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife3
This board is about breastfeeding when you can. Not knocking anyone using formula or doing what works for their family.
Huh... The board isn't labeled "only post here if you breastfeed" is it? And I do, by the way, breastfeed. My point was that of all the things to fight for, this one seemed mean spirited at worst and futile at best. I thought the debate (and I did read the full Massachusetts activist website before I posted) gave women too little credit.

I probably behave in my life more like the people on this board than not, but I won't sign on to a doctrine without really examining each piece of it carefully. I thought the Massachusetts law was silly-- legislation is a powerful tool, which should be used carefully and thoughtfully. Clearly those of you who replied to my message didn't really read it. Pity.
#317 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 07:13 PM

Another Aries here : My birthday is Easter this year.

We are having serious sleep issues too. Although it stinks that you ladies are also, it's nice to know it's probably developmentally normal.
#318 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skana
My favourite was a couple of months ago, from an older gentleman walking past with his grandchildren (they were about 10 or 12). As he passed me he said "Oh, is that one of those babies in a bag?" It was so sweet and funny -- we had a little chat and he was really keen on the sling. Thought it was great.

Hang in there everyone!
:*wipes eyes*

Babies in a bag!!! I love it!!!

Tova is a beautiful moon-faced sweetie!
#319 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom
I'm just going to say I agree with #'s 311 on...

I'm going back to being a WOHM tomorrow. Back into automotive manufacturing. 6:15a-3p with mandatory OT as needed. Please, don't flame me for this. I have tried being a WAHM and it's just not working out for us right now. I need to get out of the house, do something with instant results, both physically and financially. I've gained back all the weight I lost last fall, and another 30 pounds, which puts me back at my highest weight. That has caused more issues than I care to think about.. and we need the extra bit financially, with C's unemployment running out and all the medical bills my insurance didn't cover...
No flames here...this sounds like a very difficult time for you, Mama.

I feel you about the weight, too - I am at my heaviest and it hurts physically - my back is all kinds of bad and my chiro is going to be able to send his future children to college because of me I find it to be difficult to get out and exercise because Kiernen wants the milk bar open 24/7, and only wants me, naps on me, and is no fan of his stroller (my back even with my best carrier won't make it carrying him around the neighborhood). But! Spring is seemingly here and more sunlight and opportunities to be outside, so I have hope! I will shed some fat! I will move!
#320 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinspin
Huh... The board isn't labeled "only post here if you breastfeed" is it? And I do, by the way, breastfeed. My point was that of all the things to fight for, this one seemed mean spirited at worst and futile at best. I thought the debate (and I did read the full Massachusetts activist website before I posted) gave women too little credit.

I probably behave in my life more like the people on this board than not, but I won't sign on to a doctrine without really examining each piece of it carefully. I thought the Massachusetts law was silly-- legislation is a powerful tool, which should be used carefully and thoughtfully. Clearly those of you who replied to my message didn't really read it. Pity.
I didn't want to feed your fire, but that is really uncalled for. Your topic is out of place here, and like others have said, this thread is for us to support each other with our August babies. Most of us have been together since our pregnancies and we welcome newcomers, but you are seriously off topic with this tangent. I'm sure we'd love to have you here if you want to share your babe's milestones and the trials and joys of being Mama, but this tangent you insist on staying on after being respectfully asked to cease it is really pushing the line.

Please, if you want to post on this thread, respect us and stay on the topic, and you can have this discussion of formula in the thread in which it was originally started. Insulting us is unnecessary and likely to get you booted by the moderators.
#321 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
I didn't want to feed your fire, but that is really uncalled for. Your topic is out of place here, and like others have said, this thread is for us to support each other with our August babies. Most of us have been together since our pregnancies and we welcome newcomers, but you are seriously off topic with this tangent. I'm sure we'd love to have you here if you want to share your babe's milestones and the trials and joys of being Mama, but this tangent you insist on staying on after being respectfully asked to cease it is really pushing the line.

Please, if you want to post on this thread, respect us and stay on the topic, and you can have this discussion of formula in the thread in which it was originally started. Insulting us is unnecessary and likely to get you booted by the moderators.
:

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#322 of 389 Old 03-27-2006, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the support here! I so appreciate it. Thank you for the info on iron too! I took my gut instinct, knowing that God don't make mistakes, and I've not supplemented dd with iron. She seems fine! Where do these books get their ideas? I just read something that said that my baby should be sleeping 12 hours a night without having to eat, and if babe wakes up just to pat her, but don't feed her or get her out of her bed. HA! It even said leave the room and babe is likely to go to sleep. What! It almost offends me!: I need to quit reading certain things.

Well, I had a nervous breakdown today. I hate to admit it, but I did. I called my step-sis with tears streaming down my face. Crying hard. It may be a little ppd. I don't know. Anyway, it felt surprisingly good to cry it out - no pun intended. I'm feeling better now - a little.

I took dd to step-sis's house today. She cried and would not let her hold her. I'm thinking she's got the seperation anxiety going on. It's funny because I've never left her for any reason. It was sooo pitiful.

I think dd said bye-bye today! She's been chattering so much. It sounded like she did, and we've been working on it.

DD is feeling a little better. She's still stuffy, but not so bad.
chiro_krisitin - I tried the saline and a suction syringe, and it didn't work either. I can't ever seem to get anything to come out that way. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I hate giving medicine. I only do it as a last resort. Do you tilt your dc head back?

Thanks again for the support. I hope to bring even more better news soon. Deladis is growing in leaps and bounds daily. Every moment is a blessing, and I know one day I'll look back and wonder where it went. I kind of do that already. Can you believe that our dc are just 4 months from a year old?!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#323 of 389 Old 03-28-2006, 12:22 AM

Spinspin...thanks for introducing yourself. Wish you had been around since we were all waddling last year so you'd know us all too. Regardless of the substance of your posts, we have maintained a high-support, low-drama discussion for many months which is why you are getting this reaction. I hope you can join in. If you want more lively discussions, there are lots of other places on MDC.

We have all been great about no-flaming, cause we have the love of the August babies, so no fear from us, Kaitnbugsmama! You just gotta do what's best for you. I think about making some kind of change almost every day. There's some trade-off no matter how you look at it. But we are lucky to have the sweet babes, no matter how we spend our days and nights.

Farmlife...don't go...or come back real soon when you've had a breather. Our group has made it this far..and we're not out of the woods yet!

Easykygal...I've had a few breakdowns...I think it is probably in the "mama" job description. I hope you feel better soon!!!

I survived the huge party at the inlaws. There was a nice AP-seeming pregnant mama there so we had a good talk. Nobody fed Owen anything weird, so I was happy.

Mama'otwo...I'm still covered in spit-up, but it's been better.

Deborah...how's the train?? We need to get some new toys. He's ready for new stuff.

Are your babies obsessed with standing up? Owen tries to pull-up on everything. I know we're not supposed to stand them, but it's all he wants to do.

He has a tooth just about to pop, finally.

I have to go back to work... . I would much rather chat.

Take care, mamas!!!
#324 of 389 Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 AM

I've noticed that a few of you seem to live in the Pac. NW and even the Seattle area. Would you ever like to get together for a playdate sometime?
I know with varying nap times, that can be a challenge...

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#325 of 389 Old 03-28-2006, 02:33 AM

I'm South of PDX so I don't think a get together would work too well for me if it was in WA

#326 of 389 Old 03-28-2006, 02:42 AM

eastkygal - I could totally relate to your post when I read it. I'm glad that you're feeling at least a little better today. Every once in a while Malek will sleep pretty well and I get a little recharge. I hope it's the same for you.

The one time Malek got stuffed up, I gave his a few saline drops in each nose and had him lie down for a minute. Then I took the bulb syringe and showed it to Malek and explained to him what I was going to do so that he felt safe (it worked too because the first time I thoughtlessly just did it and boy did that upset him). Then I inserted it deflated in one nostril to form a seal as I plugged the other side with my finger and let go of the bulb. It should suck pretty strongly. The trick is to get a good seal on both sides. Best of luck healing that sickie.

Malek still spits up a bit. He tends to eat before sleeping, but not always. If I pick him up and put too much pressure on his tummy or jiggle him too much, it can come shooting out. I'd say its a fair amount less then in the beginning though.

Malek is also obsessed with standing up. When I try to put him on the floor in a sitting position, he makes it difficult by not bending his legs, he just wants to be on his feet. He loves pulling up when he can. He also just started this thing where he, from crawling position, hops up and down like hes playing leap frog, bouncing his legs off the floor over and over. Super cute! He totally has his engines revving.

Any suggestions for fun bath toys? We mostly play with household items and they're getting old..

#327 of 389 Old 03-28-2006, 02:45 AM

mamao'two - Unfortunetly I'm in the process of selling my home in NE PDX. It's been a long drawn out process We moved up here in Nov, but I still drive down sometimes.

#328 of 389 Old 03-28-2006, 04:15 AM

Elight: Isn't that hysterical when you go to sit them down and they won't bend because they want to stand???!! So funny...such determined little people!

I would love to get together either in PDX or we will be in Seattle on Sat 4/8. We are going to see one of my favorite musicians on 4/7. SO psyched...

Bath toys: well, we have a rubber ducky and some stacking bath cups. He has started to use those to drink his bathwater --so those are out for awhile!! I have seen some cool bath toys, but he doesn't seem ready. He's still in the small bathtub so he doesn't bonk his head. I would like to hear what bath toys the other babies like, too.

Here's a topic: what the heck is Daylight Savings Time going to do to our sleep schedules? Will they sleep later in the morning since we are springing ahead? Uh-oh...they will also go to bed later, right? Do I have it backwards?
#329 of 389 Old 03-28-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
I know we're not supposed to stand them, but it's all he wants to do.
We're not? : Crap, that's all Adam wants to do, too, and if I so much as put my hands close to him, he immediately pulls himself up and either jumps or takes some tentative little steps. Unsupported, he can stand for about 3 seconds before he starts to fall (I catch him, though). DH and I figure he'll be cruising around in no time. But seriously, is there a reason we shouldn't be encouraging this?
DH and I have been trying to decide if I should continue trying to work from home or not (I'm a graphic designer) -- right now I'm working about 15 hours a week and while I love the work and the interaction with some great people, it's exhausting just caring for Adam, let alone doing paid work. We figured we'd give it another month before we made any real decision. The idea of not working scares the heck out of me (it's such an integral part of how I define myself) but I'm worried about burning myself out.
Adam now has two teeth but shows no signs of any new ones for the next little while (thank goodness, because this whole teeth cutting thing is pretty rough on all of us!).
Hope everyone is doing well!

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#330 of 389 Old 03-28-2006, 01:03 PM

but DD loves to stand! It's all she wants to do-she pulls herself up on anyone/thing and just stands around...I hope it's just that we're not supposed to "make" them stand.

Spring always seems to be a time of ups and downs-it's finally nice out and you start to feel a little more energized, but there's also a bunch of crap to deal with when the snow melts (literally and figuratively). So I hope you're all doing okay with the changes, and that things are getting better!

Re "free" formula-they banned this practice in Canada and it seems to be making a bit of a difference in #'s-could be coincidence, but who knows. I do think that some hospitals don't do everything they can to promote breastfeeding, and this is just part and parcel of that. I'm glad it exists for people who have problems, but I don't think it needs to be marketed as aggressively as it is. Just my 2c.

SLEEP---After a stretch of good sleeps (for everyone!) DD is sleeping crappy again, not sure why. She is waking up after about 2 hours, and is soooo upset. Nothing will soothe her, except being in my arms. DH won't do, which makes him sad. It sometimes take her 2+hours to settle down again, and then she does that "i've been crying for ages" snuffle for a long time in her sleep. It's so sad! She isn't hungry, I haven't added anything new to her diet, she's not wet/dirty, could it be separation anxiety??? already? how to handle this? Or is it something else?

Spitting up-DD used to spit up all the time-8-10 times/day. She slowed down around 6 months, and it's now very rare that that she does. We do a lot less laundry now!

Work-I am struggling with going back to work in September. The plan was for me to go back PT (in the AM or PM, I teach), and my principal just sent me an email saying they're trying for that, but can't guarantee it, I may have one course in the AM and 1 in the PM, blah, blah, blah, they won't know til June...which is a pain for several reasons...I am supposed to "retire" 1/3 of my contract (for up to 5 years) if I'm only coming back 2/3, so they can find a replacement, but I don't want to if I'm going to be there all day anyway...but I don't want to work FT at all. My reasons for going back are bc I loooove my job, I really miss my students, and so I can get maternity leave for the 2nd baby (we get a year here). If I go back PT, especially if it's the AM, I'm only away from DD for 2 hours. We were talking last night about me not going back, which part of me loves (more time with DD)! but is also scary-like others have said, I am somewhat (happily!) defined by my job, I find it rewarding, and it's important to me. It will also be very financially stressful. On the reduced pay I've been getting this year (mat leave) it has been difficult to stay ahead of bills. It is doable, but we'd really have to cut back. I don't know what to do! Another thing to lie awake at night thinking about.

Books-I am going to check out your suggestions. I too love Kingsolver. Have you read any of Anne Marie MacDonald's books ("Fall on your knees"?) I just went through a CanLit (Canadian Literature) phase, and read tons of Carol Shields, Alice Munro, and AMMacDonald. Ooh-also liked "the Time traveler's wife". I tend to find an author I like and devour everything by them, then wait semi-patiently til they write another.

I'm waiting for DD to wake up and then we're going for a walk/run in the sun. Happy Tuesday!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page